Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We have very different views on what is called entertainment.

As an aside,did anyone see the video of the trains in London today? Absolutely packed with people, social distancing,2 inches instead of 2 metres. The government over there are very close to imposing stricter rules as people are getting lax.
    Maybe if the British public could be trusted to do what is asked of them we might see some football but as it is we aren't going see any.
    Even ambulance response times are averaging 2 hours now,how can football clubs expect one to be at a game even BCD?

On the ambulance thing, how often are they realistically used. Clubs have their own doctors anyway. I'm talking july here as well not anytime soon. We will see how Germany get on.

Shyte TV :pac:

I know its shyte but my point is still the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Show us examples of this entertainment that's allowed to continue,gigs cancelled, cinemas closed, festivals the same. Even TV companies and movie studios have halted production.
    Everyone where possible is asked to stay home so I don't know where they are going to go for entertainment??
    Anyone wanting to charter a flight to Turkmenistan to see a live game?

Taiwan and Korea are starting up baseball again and have announced funding for English commentary to be produced for games to gain audiences in the US.

Wonder if you'll see that happening with Bundesliga or other leagues if they start up before the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

niallo27 wrote: »
    On the ambulance thing, how often are they realistically used. Clubs have their own doctors anyway. I'm talking july here as well not anytime soon. We will see how Germany get on.

I thought there is a fairly strong desire from a number of clubs to have things wrapped up one way or another by 30th June to avoid player contract issues?

I thought there is a fairly strong desire from a number of clubs to have things wrapped up one way or another by 30th June to avoid player contract issues?

Miracle if we are started by then never mind finished.

8-10 wrote: »
    Ah here you yourself thought there was no need to close schools the day before the Liverpool game:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112786731&postcount=46

March 10th:

If fans shouldn't have gone to the game on March 11th - why did you see no reason for schools to be closed on March 10th?

This is going to be seriously off topic but...

1) When I wrote that there was 24 confirmed cases in Ireland. We were still in containment phase. In containment phase, there would be no need to close schools, Ireland took the decision to pre-emptively going into mitigation/delay phase later on that week.

2) Travelling abroad was been discouraged at that time (part of containment). Schools closing is part of the mitigation/delay phase. School children weren't actively bringing into COVID-19 into the country. Although the school trips happening is a different.

3) Maybe I was been hyperbolic with blood on our hands but it put a significant strain on the HSE, my own department had nearly a quarter of staff self isolating later than a week off.

4) it was known that Spain was a hotspot at the time and there was many travelling from Madrid, the epicentre.

5) we will probably never know the true numbers of people who were infected at this game as the epidemiology will be hard to figure out.

6) The examples of the Liverpool game and the Atlanta game will mean that there will be no fans at games until at least the new year, possibly until a vaccine is found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The late late show, all the morning shows in ireland and the uk. Paul o Connell drove to dublin last week to be on the show.

Yes, but you can film a tv show in a studio and still maintain protocols around social distancing.

That is literally impossible with football. Players are in constant close contact.

To say they can film a chat show, which is entertainment, so therefore they should be able to stage a football match is nonsensical. The only thing they have in common is that they both can be classed as entertainment, but that doesn't mean that in practice they are completely different. There is no comparison in the level of risk involved in both.

How do so many people still not get this fundamental fact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Are there any notable players out of contract on 30 June? I don’t think this would cause much of an issue in the PL, lower leagues could be in trouble

I’ve seen Willian mentioned as one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ambulances are needed in case a player's heart stops or there is a medical emergency that can't be treated on the field. It could literally be the difference between life and death or a player keeping one of their legs. Now certain fans may throw things at or block said ambulances but that does not make them obsolete ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liam O wrote: »
    Ambulances are needed in case a player's heart stops or there is a medical emergency that can't be treated on the field. It could literally be the difference between life and death or a player keeping one of their legs.
    Yeah, ambulances 100% have to be present. Doubt insurance would even allow games to go ahead without them.
    Now certain fans may throw things at or block said ambulances but that does not make them obsolete ffs.
    I’m unsure what this means...? Is it related to the conversation in some way I’m not getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, ambulances 100% have to be present. Doubt insurance would even allow games to go ahead without them

Yes there must be one present and in the event it and it’s crew are required the onus is on the home to ensure a second stand by ambulance must be available with full crew to be at the stadium within 10 mins of the first departing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Strange that people are worried about lives being lost, but dont really give 2 ****s about players welfare once we can get a few games going when it not sure when it's safe do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The sooner people accept the league is finished for this year the sooner their stress levels will go down.

They 'might' figure out a way to complete the one extra fixture for the four teams left in order to give the impression of fairness in their decision but that's it.

There will be some agreement reached on how to extrapolate points and positions and they will start again whenever they can with a new season. The fact that Belgium, Scotland and Holland have already done so is pointing the way for what's likely to happen.

It's a bittersweet victory for Liverpool, but a title is a title. It's not like they were likely to be caught or anything if none of this had happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Iago wrote: »
    The sooner people accept the league is finished for this year the sooner their stress levels will go down.

They 'might' figure out a way to complete the one extra fixture for the four teams left in order to give the impression of fairness in their decision but that's it.

There will be some agreement reached on how to extrapolate points and positions and they will start again whenever they can with a new season. The fact that Belgium, Scotland and Holland have already done so is pointing the way for what's likely to happen.

It's a bittersweet victory for Liverpool, but a title is a title. It's not like they were likely to be caught or anything if none of this had happened.

The sooner people accept their opinion is not fact the better.

The PL abd the clubs are all planning for football to come back to finish this season, behind closed doors.

It might not happen. But it is being planned for, as it is in Germany, for example.

While the PL and the clubs are trying to make it happen, and therefor have belief it can, there is absolutely no reason that people shouldnt discuss how or when that could happen.

So how about you quit your patronising preaching as if you have an inside track on anything.

FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Strange that people are worried about lives being lost, but dont really give 2 ****s about players welfare once we can get a few games going when it not sure when it's safe do so.

Point out one person on here who doesn't give 2 ****s about players welfare,all I see in here is debate amongst posters about when it might be safe to return to football,be it 1 month,2 months,6 months or in two years time

• Advertisement

• I know not directly PL related but something positive to share here

https://twitter.com/FootballJOE/status/1253013967607300096?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, ambulances 100% have to be present. Doubt insurance would even allow games to go ahead without them.

I’m unsure what this means...? Is it related to the conversation in some way I’m not getting?

Aww i am 100% sure you know what he is trying to do, I shall just say the players name Alan Smith after blocking a John Arne Riises free kick.

There is a reason why entertainment is allowed to continue in these times, it stops people going crazy at home. I would class football in the same bracket. All the people saying there would be parties and gathering outside grounds. I really think that would be in the minority and we cant keep punishing the majority because of the minority.
    Point out one person on here who doesn't give 2 ****s about players welfare,all I see in here is debate amongst posters about when it might be safe to return to football,be it 1 month,2 months,6 months or in two years time

For all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Interesting discussion on Sky Sports News atm about football returning, pretty pessimistic tho

Iago wrote: »

Somehow getting those 2 games played and ending it as is would be the best solution imo.

Obviously has it's challenges but come June 30th sporting integrity that everyone is worried about will be compromised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Somehow getting those 2 games played and ending it as is would be the best solution imo.

Obviously has it's challenges but come June 30th sporting integrity that everyone is worried about will be compromised.

If you can get those fixtures played, why not others? If you have come up with solutions to any issue currently stopping football from being played then the hardest part is done.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0423/1134275-premier-league-games-may-be-free-to-air-on-television/

Free for all would make this morally acceptable if it helps keep people in their homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Are there any notable players out of contract on 30 June? I don’t think this would cause much of an issue in the PL, lower leagues could be in trouble

I’ve seen Willian mentioned as one

Bournemouth would be greatly affected
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/afc-bournemouth/vertragsende/verein/989

Fraser, Wilson, Francis all have more than 15 appearances this season each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What if they lose those 2 games? Play another 2?

The UK Culture secretary came out and said that games should be on FTA TV,I can't see the broadcasters who paid shedloads of money liking that. This was the main crux of the problem with leagues being voided,money. Integrity of leagues and health and safety were behind on the list of priorities and anyone who thought otherwise is naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

For all to see.

What exactly is there to see,I see a poster talking about football coming back in July maybe if possible,don't see anywhere mentioned about putting players welfare on the line but maybe you want to see what u want

David Luiz,Lacazette,Pepe and Xhaka have been spoken to by Arsenal after being pictured breaking lockdown rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭Osamabindipper

Hi all long time lurker.

The problem is its not just two games, the league is over when all teams have completed 38 games and all positions are finalised that's not going to happen. Playing two games does not suddenly fix the issues of fairness.

The biggest issues in the league at the moment are relegation, it's not who is champion they will be just awarded an trophy in recognition to say they were top when league was suspended two thirds of the way through the season.

All of football is going to be so messy nothing is going to be finalised or fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What exactly is there to see,I see a poster talking about football coming back in July maybe if possible,don't see anywhere mentioned about putting players welfare on the line but maybe you want to see what u want

Ignoring the safety rules of having ambulances at games surely is putting players welfare at risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

David Luiz,Lacazette,Pepe and Xhaka have been spoken to by Arsenal after being pictured breaking lockdown rules.

If the players can’t abide by rules from the government it’s hard to see all fans of teams doing so also. The UK seem to think they are above this

What if they lose those 2 games? Play another 2?

The UK Culture secretary came out and said that games should be on FTA TV,I can't see the broadcasters who paid shedloads of money liking that. This was the main crux of the problem with leagues being voided,money. Integrity of leagues and health and safety were behind on the list of priorities and anyone who thought otherwise is naive.

I mean the 2 games between teams who've played a game fewer than others. End the season as it winds up following them and it would be as fair as could be imo. Following June 30th players on teams in the league are out of contract and there would be nothing stopping them walking away. I'd imagine there would also be challenges regarding new players being denied being able to do their jobs, like Ziyech who has already signed for Chelsea. Depending on the wording of these contracts denying them playing could circumvent EU law I assume? That's me spitballing but getting it completed ASAP should be the priority as to avoid the uncertainty that is plaguing everything.

• Advertisement

Ignoring the safety rules of having ambulances at games surely is putting players welfare at risk?

Thanks, cause I could not be arsed spelling it out to him

Hi all long time lurker.

The problem is its not just two games, the league is over when all teams have completed 38 games and all positions are finalised that's not going to happen. Playing two games does not suddenly fix the issues of fairness.

The biggest issues in the league at the moment are relegation, it's not who is champion they will be just awarded an trophy in recognition to say they were top when league was suspended two thirds of the way through the season.

All of football is going to be so messy nothing is going to be finalised or fixed.
    I think accepting that extra games will have to be played next season and allowing the top 2 or 3 from the championship into the PL is a solution but then again we don't know when it will restart so again it's all conjecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

if they try to finish the problem seems to be people outside the grounds.
    Only option would seem to be at neutral grounds and while anouncing the match not saying where it is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hi all long time lurker.

how did you come up with that username?

jem wrote: »
    Only option would seem to be at neutral grounds and while anouncing the match not saying where it is on.

This could prove a big mistake. They couldn't all the camera crew and what not needed to run a game and fans would gather then anyway to see who is playing.

• jem wrote: »

Neutral grounds doesn't change the requirement that it is a contact sport and it still needs the support staff and the ambulance services ect

Then there are the clubs concerned around this neutral ground scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

hopefully we get more clarity later, but I suspect not; lots of terms such as endeavour, 100% committed. it does seem like it will be on a country by country basis, rather than 1 rule for all.

holland and belgium want to cancel their leagues. lots want to play on. I suppose alot will come from respective health services. if social distancing remains in place you cant very well have the leagues go ahead.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11977244/uefa-talks-q-a-decision-day-for-seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Late Late Show is still on so bring back football.

You seriously couldn’t make it up.

jem wrote: »
    This could prove a big mistake. They couldn't all the camera crew and what not needed to run a game and fans would gather then anyway to see who is playing.

Ye have a very poor opinion of football fans in a crisis. When have they congregated en masse when told not to. They're not Gemma O'Doherty and John Waters creepy insane.

What fans will turn up if their respective clubs and managers tell them to stay at home or risk the games being played. Stay home and watch FTA.

• Advertisement

Ye have a very poor opinion of football fans in a crisis. When have they congregated en masse when told not to. They're not Gemma O'Doherty and John Waters creepy insane.

The PSG fans say hi.

What fans will turn up if their respective clubs and managers tell them to stay at home or risk the games being played. Stay home and watch FTA.

I posted that 4 Arsenal players broke the rules and then people expect fans to behave? Anyone who has ever been to a game in England knows that isn't going to happen.People can't do it over there as it is and you think that they're magically going to stay home away from grounds when football is on?
    Not a dig at you, it's just the way things are in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8097139/amp/Valencia-fans-rock-thousands-outside-Mestalla-despite-told-stay-away.html

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/football/51845054

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bournemouth would be greatly affected
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/afc-bournemouth/vertragsende/verein/989

Fraser, Wilson, Francis all have more than 15 appearances this season each.

FIFA have given recommendations to clubs to extend contracts by 3 months or whatever it is, so if Bournemouth want to give a 3 month contract to theirr players, they are more than welcome to. The thing is, the majority of these players would probably be leaving anyways so it's a pretty easy thing to tie up.

Ryan Fraser is the obvious candidate that Bournemouth will want to keep at the club no matter what, and have him available for all their games. I get the impression that Fraser might see his future elsewhere though. But I do think he would be the type of player to commit to a 3 month contract and play out the season before moving on to a new club.

I'm 99.999999% sure that Liverpool will let Wilson stay on loan at Bournemouth for the remainder of the 19/20 season, even if the season extends beyond the June 30th date. He can't play for anyone else other than Bournemouth until next season either way.

The majority of the other players would probably have been leaving the club or not playing anyways.

Jordon Ibe is not wanted by the club. He was training with the reserves for a while too. Barely makes the match day squad.
    Jack Simpson is in & out of the squad. 1 league start.

35 year old Simon Francis in & out of the team. Plays due to injuries from what I can see.
    33 year old Charlie Daniels (injured for the whole season)
    40 year old Arter Boruc (0 appearances all comps)
    33 year old Andrew Surman (2 premier league starts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

Liverpool wiining the league is the least of the PL worries, if all else was sorted they would be justified in saying they are champions. (no rational person can say they would not get six points from the last 9 games). Its relegation, promotion and european places that are the issue. the money earned in European qualification for the likes of Sheffield utd could gaurtee them Prem league football for a decade if invested properley.
    Also in the championship 3-13 are seperated by 6 points so in theory any of those could win play offs and the win fall that generates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sure United lads traveled to LASK to be heard outside the stadium

• Advertisement

The players aren't obliged to accept any contract. It's that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Am I correct in saying the Play Offs in the championship is the biggest money maker in football? In terms of Tv deals etc for getting to the premiership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

Am I correct in saying the Play Offs in the championship is the biggest money maker in football? In terms of Tv deals etc for getting to the premiership?

Apparently so Sky keep refering/"advertising" the championsip paly of final as richest game in football.:cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

For any of the 3 teams that come up from the Championship one season in the Premier League is worth £200m if the they go straight back down with between TV money and parachute payments. So a couple of million to pay top class lawyers to bring legal action as far as it goes would be well worth it to them to make sure there is promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The players aren't obliged to accept any contract. It's that simple.

They can refuse a contact all they want. But why would they refuse a 3 month contract? It's not like they are going to get one in the same timeframe and play somewhere else. Because they won't be able to. And also, no club will pay players who are near retirement to not play for them before signing a new contact again after the 3 months.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement