Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

niallo27 wrote: »
    You must work in a very pleasant and happy place.

Nah, just professional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

UEFA confirm that the women's 2021 tournament is postponed until 2022.
    Nothing new there,it was expected.

Personally I don't see it in any form of "relaxed" state

Whatever that means

Are you serious, are you claiming not to know what relaxed means in the context of the Covid19 lockdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RasTa wrote: »
    as I said it's childish and not needed, especially if you're trying to create a serious discussion.

So go back to the original post then. Put RIGHT NOW in quotes as "right now" instead. Whats the problem with the posts itself, or the argument I presented? What is childish about the argument I was making? Was it a poorly worded argument? Was it a poor counter to the original point? Was my question or comment out of order?

Focusing on writing style rather than content seems very poor form, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sums up this thread

tenor.gif?itemid=16255257

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

LOUD NOISES!

GSPfan wrote: »
    LOUD NOISES!

Hold on and I'll turn up my implant so you dont need to shout buddy!

Sorry bout that

• GSPfan wrote: »
    LOUD NOISES!

GV7NJoE.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

.....soooooo..... football, eh?

When’s that back.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    .....soooooo..... football, eh?

When’s that back.

not RIGHT NOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Personally I don't see it in any form of "relaxed" state

Whatever that means

So you do not see football for the next 12-18 months. I am just asking a question

not RIGHT NOW.

Jaysus no need to shout, I'm not deaf...

Or am I..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

****en hell lads we are really missing the football.

****en hell lads we are really missing the football.

Gonna watch me some Korean baseball when it comes back just to get a sports fix :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Trigger wrote: »
    Gonna watch me some Korean baseball when it comes back just to get a sports fix :pac:

Not sure about Korea as I think they're still in preseason now but there's Taiwan games on, see - http://cpblstats.com/online-stream/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If you consider yourself to be of above average intelligence, and a holder of common sense, you would have to concede your behaviour will not be indicative of the type of people who are having House Parties at the moment. Its those idiots we'd be concerned about, not the majority.
    Their is a huge majority in the UK not having house parties so you would have to think they have changed their behaviour. Idiots will be idiots so they will either gather outside a stadium or have a house party. Of the examples given of people gathering outside football grounds 6 weeks ago you would have to assume that the majority of them may have a different way of thinking now then they did 6 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

so who smokes? i know my intake has doubled staying at home all day.

Nicotine patches are to be tested on coronavirus patients and healthcare workers treating infected people after initial studies suggested smokers were less likely to catch the disease. Researchers in France say early data indicates those who smoke make up a disproportionately small number of people in hospital with COVID-19. A study at Paris's Pitie-Salpetriere hospital suggests a substance in tobacco, thought to be nicotine, was preventing smokers contracting coronavirus.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-nicotine-patches-to-be-tested-on-patients-after-study-suggests-smokers-less-likely-to-catch-covid-19-11977460

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Its a dig at the ambulance at anfield getting allegedly blocked after Alan Smith broke his leg, ****en hell this is a new level of low even for them.

Who’s them?

• niallo27 wrote: »
    So you do not see football for the next 12-18 months. I am just asking a question

No I don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No I don't

If there's no PL for the next 12-18 months there won't be many PL clubs left.

• Advertisement

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    If there's no PL for the next 12-18 months there won't be many PL clubs left.

And what?

You are answering who exactly? Your own question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

And what?

some people seem to think Football is just a a bit of fun. the Premier league alon is a multi billion £ buisness
    will you be saying "and what" if most airlines hotels etc close down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And what?

I didn't ask a question and I'm not answering any questions. I'm making a statement based off your belief that there won't be any football for the next 12-18 months.

This is the reality of what very well may happen if your belief becomes a reality.

• poppers wrote: »
    some people seem to think Football is just a a bit of fun. the Premier league alon is a multi billion £ buisness
    will you be saying "and what" if most airlines hotels etc close down.

Who are these some people? I was asked a question by Niallo and I answered it.

Will businesses be impacted by a global pandemic / recession?

Yes they will if I assume that is what is being asked.

No I don't

What do you see reopening before a vaccine ?Schools will surely have to reopen, business will have to reopen meaning transport will have to reopen properly. All as risky if not riskier than behind closed doors sport.
    Or do you see them reopening and not sport ?
    Of course there are issues with behind closed doors sport but there are also benefits. Employment, taxes for government, knock on jobs like broadcasting, media. A release for people which should help boost the general populations morale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

Who are these some people? I was asked a question by Niallo and I answered it.

Will businesses be impacted by a global pandemic / recession?

Yes they will if I assume that is what is being asked.

i dont think he asked you anything other that do you hink football will be played again this yr. you said no
    his statment was that most clubs will go out of buisness if there is no football for 12-18 months.
    Your so what answer seems to inducate that you dont care. also
    Look over this thread numerous people are calling for the season to be "null and void" and start again next season or when ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

In actual football news, Bundesliga are ready to go back playing football. Once the government allows them to.

https://twitter.com/JDNalton/status/1253310006092578817

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

May 9th is the date proposed. Wonder when the government will have to confirm it by to let clubs prepare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭Osamabindipper

FitzShane wrote: »
    In actual football news, Bundesliga are ready to go back playing football. Once the government allows them to.

I'm ready to go to the pub once the government allows me.

• Advertisement

With a name like that, don't bring a backpack.:)

• poppers wrote: »
    i dont think he asked you anything other that do you hink football will be played again this yr. you said no
    his statment was that most clubs will go out of buisness if there is no football for 12-18 months.
    Your so what answer seems to inducate that you dont care. also
    Look over this thread numerous people are calling for the season to be "null and void" and start again next season or when ever.

So whatabouttery?
    I don't care or I don't prioritize a sports team as being essential?

And as I said a business gets impacted by a global pandemic / recession. That's a possible reality of this whole ordeal. A poster took a notion to try point that out to me for some reason as if I didn't realise it.

I don't believe there will be football any time soon. It's that simple. Any consequence of that happens.

You can speculate all you want no problem if you think I care or not.

• What do you see reopening before a vaccine ?Schools will surely have to reopen, business will have to reopen meaning transport will have to reopen properly. All as risky if not riskier than behind closed doors sport.
    Or do you see them reopening and not sport ?
    Of course there are issues with behind closed doors sport but there are also benefits. Employment, taxes for government, knock on jobs like broadcasting, media. A release for people which should help boost the general populations morale.

What actually is essential and what is not could be asked? That's not for me to determine but I can give my opinion if you want.

I don't believe there will be football any time soon. It's that simple. Any consequence of that happens.

You don't believe there will be football soon or you don't want football to return? Which is it? And if it's the latter, then why are you still posting in this thread and other football threads?

Football leagues across the world are planning on resuming football as soon as it is safe to do so, so obviously the people who actually run football believe and want football to return soon.

• FitzShane wrote: »
    You don't believe there will be football soon or you don't want football to return? Which is it? And if it's the latter, then why are you still posting in this thread and other football threads?

Football leagues across the world are planning on resuming football as soon as it is safe to do so, so obviously the people who actually run football believe and want football to return soon.

Who said anything about not wanting it too?

Again not me.

Whatabouterey lads

Who said anything about not wanting it too?

Again not me.

Whatabouterey lads

Answer the question then instead of further derailing another thread with nonsense. You were asked a simple question and just ignored it.

Do you want football to return soon, in a safe environment, or not?

• Advertisement

• FitzShane wrote: »
    Answer the question then instead of further derailing another thread with nonsense.

No I won't. Thanks for asking.
    That's another question you want to ask that has nothing to do with what I'm discussing. But your manner doesn't deserve an answer anyway tbh.

Answer the question then instead of further derailing another thread with nonsense. You were asked a simple question and just ignored it.

Saying that he doesnt see football coming back anytime soon, does not equate to him saying he doesnt want it to return.

Where did you get that from, you are putting words in the posters mouth and then attacking the poster not the post because of words that you equated to him.

Jesus take a step back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-merkel-idUSKCN2250TX

Doesn't sound like the okay will be happening soon.

Either football comes back before a vaccine or it is doesn't.

Maybe a vaccine isn't possible, who know.

I thinks it'll be back before a vaccine. Otherwise we have no football until end of 2021, and I don't think that's remotely plausible as most clubs will be out of business. Anyone disagree?

6 wrote: »
    Either football comes back before a vaccine or it is doesn't.

Is that you Micheal Owen??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

You will have a long wait all the more so if you are in Dublin or the surrounding counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/newsid=2641715.html

voiding the season is not an option.
    While using best efforts to complete the domestic competitions, National Associations and/or Leagues might have legitimate reasons to prematurely terminate their domestic competitions, in particular in the following cases:

• existence of an official order prohibiting sports events so that the domestic competitions cannot be completed before a date that would make it possible to complete the current season in good time before the next season to start.

• insurmountable economic problems which make finishing the season impossible because it would put at risk the long-term financial stability of the domestic competition and/or clubs.

If a domestic competition is prematurely terminated for legitimate reasons in accordance with the above conditions, UEFA would require the National Association concerned to select clubs for the UEFA club competitions 2020/21 based on sporting merit in the 2019/20 domestic competitions:

• the procedure for selecting clubs should be based on objective, transparent and non-discriminatory principles. National Associations and Leagues, should otherwise have the ability to decide the final positions in their domestic competitions, having regard to the specific circumstances of each competition;

• the final determination of eligible places for the UEFA club competitions should be confirmed by the relevant competent bodies at domestic level.

UEFA reserves the right to refuse or evaluate the admission to any club proposed by a National Association from a prematurely terminated domestic competition in particular where:

• the domestic competitions have not been prematurely terminated based on the reasons given in these UEFA guidelines or on the basis of any other legitimate public health reasons;

• the clubs were selected pursuant to a procedure which was not objective, transparent and non-discriminatory so that the selected clubs could not be considered as having been qualified on sporting merit;

• there is a public perception of unfairness in the qualification of the club.

You will have a long wait all the more so if you are in Dublin or the surrounding counties.

:(

A lot of countries are looking on in alarm at Japan. They relaxed restrictions and now their health service is being overwhelmed as cases have started to rocket again.
    The truth is that we all want normality again and unfortunately we won't have it for a long time.
    Myself and friends were meant to be headed to Old Trafford this coming weekend and that's been off the table a long time ago with no clear sign as to when we'll get to go see a live game.

Lads can't even have a kickabout on their local greens let alone have a league and cup campaign restarting.

MD1990 wrote: »

Of course it could be voided in a sense, and the PL submit based on sporting merit that the current top 4 qualify to the CL with the following 3 to the Europa.

They could say that the situation has got so bad it needs to be voided but look, these 4 have been the best so far so on sporting merit they go to the CL

The literally give the option to void it right there in that.

They can do that without stating a "champion" or have to relegate teams.

Remember that is just to qualify for those competitions, there is still 80+ other teams in the leagues to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

A lot of countries are looking on in alarm at Japan. They relaxed restrictions and now their health service is being overwhelmed as cases have started to rocket again.
    The truth is that we all want normality again and unfortunately we won't have it for a long time.
    Myself and friends were meant to be headed to Old Trafford this coming weekend and that's been off the table a long time ago with no clear sign as to when we'll get to go see a live game.

Lads can't even have a kickabout on their local greens let alone have a league and cup campaign restarting.

I honestly couldn't give a rat's about footie now, I don't need a distraction or entertainment.. I need loved ones and friends be safe is most in my mind.

On the whole how does the season get sorted Liverpool crowned champs, let the fall out of the other teams (relegation/euro qualification) play out in court. Fingers crossed everyone gets a handle on this fcuking virus over the next few months so the new season can go ahead as scheduled. I think trying to force the completion of this season is a bad idea.

There's also reports from one of the Asian countries can't recall now, that people who were infected are testing positive again, it also comes with speculation that the virus is remaining in the system after recovery and it's picking up the first instance of infection.

For me there's too many if's buts and maybes to be messing around with this virus.

I wouldn't watch games being played behind closed doors, United's Europa League was weird as fcuk watching nearly a whole match with no crowd there, I watched a few mins of previous games before the virus was about never watched more then 10mins of them.

Trigger wrote: »
    Of course it could be voided in a sense, and the PL submit based on sporting merit that the current top 4 qualify to the CL with the following 3 to the Europa.

They could say that the situation has got so bad it needs to be voided but look, these 4 have been the best so far so on sporting merit they go to the CL

The literally give the option to void it right there in that.

They can do that without stating a "champion" or have to relegate teams.

Remember that is just to qualify for those competitions, there is still 80+ other teams in the leagues to think about.

That is not voiding the season, that is ending the season as is, which is essentially what Uefa are talking about.

Voiding the season would reset everything prior to the start of 2019/20 season.

1. Complete the season, all 38 match days. Uefa Priority 1.
    2. End the season as is (28/29 match days.) and decide how to come up with qualifiers (Based on current positions/PPG would be my guess). Uefa Priority 2.
    3. Void the season. Goes back to before August, Liverpool, City (maybe Arsenal), Spurs and Chelsea in the CL according the that decision. Uefa won't accept that, don't condone voiding at all.

I still think the best thing to do is move to calendar season for 2021 for 2 seasons till the world cup and move back to traditional season over the next couple of seasons. Or if calendar season is working just stick with the calendar season. It gives all leagues and cups till the end of the year to finish. Countries like germany that are ahead of the UK could run off a mini competition if they have a couple of months spare. Its just not going to be possible to fit in the remainder of this season and all of next season by may 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I still think the best thing to do is move to calendar season for 2021 for 2 seasons till the world cup and move back to traditional season over the next couple of seasons. Or if calendar season is working just stick with the calendar season. It gives all leagues and cups till the end of the year to finish. Countries like germany that are ahead of the UK could run off a mini competition if they have a couple of months spare. Its just not going to be possible to fit in the remainder of this season and all of next season by may 2021.

That would need all the top leagues to move imo. European calendar needs to move too. International windows, tournaments etc. Youre talking rearranging the world football system in one go.

That would need all the top leagues to move imo. European calendar needs to move too. International windows, tournaments etc. Youre talking rearranging the world football system in one go.

Ye everything all leagues go from Jan to May break for euro 2021. Start back in aug finish in november. 2022 start back in Feb finish in october. 3 week break in the summer 2022.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement