Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

8-10 wrote: »
    Probably some sizeable implications for online gambling companies if streaming games with a slight lag becomes commonplace.

Will give them yet another edge as they'll make in-game markets based on real time information a good few seconds before those looking to bet

completely off topic but this is how professional gamblers beat bookies on live sports. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvT_yIVI2Qw

I do notice a lag on live TV sometimes, for the football games. It's not a massive difference, but you would know that we are maybe 30-45 seconds behind live action. I would definitely welcome Amazon, or more streaming companies, if they can get a consistently strong stream with very little lag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Dutch league has cancelled with no title winner and no one relegated. Ajax and AZ will progress to the CL (Both on 56 pts but Ajax ahead on goal difference). Feyenoord and PSV going to the Europa League on 50 pts and 49. Holland have had 4000 Covid deaths. It is interesting that Netherlands are cancelling their season but on the other side Germany are aiming to commence theirs in early May.

Over the next few weeks, the vast majority of leagues will be suspended in my opinion. England will wait the longest to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Holland have been equal if not worse than UK. Can see Videos showing thousands relaxing and enjoying sunshine in parks. They had no hope of completing the season imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Money is a huge factor here,
    Dutch leauge TV money know where close to the Prems, and it'll be the deciding factor in making sure the Prem is finished at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Money is a huge factor here,
    Dutch leauge TV money know where close to the Prems, and it'll be the deciding factor in making sure the Prem is finished at some stage

And that is the nail on the head there. It's not about integrity or anything like that. It's all about money with English football, especially the top two leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

A little part of me is happy to see the Premier league getting its wings clipped due to this crisis.

It had become obscene with the amount of money swirling around and was surely a financial bubble that wasn’t sustainable ultimately.

Mediocrity being hugely over rewarded in large parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

adox wrote: »
    A little part of me is happy to see the Premier league getting its wings clipped due to this crisis.

It had become obscene with the amount of money swirling around and was surely a financial bubble that wasn’t sustainable ultimately.

Mediocrity being hugely over rewarded in large parts.

Can't beat a bit of schadenfreude.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

When you see mad fees being paid without question for players who are almost out of contract or even out of contract you know something is going wrong.

It was at the stage where a "free transfer" was costing £20 million or so before wages and signing on fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

And that is the nail on the head there. It's not about integrity or anything like that. It's all about money with English football, especially the top two leagues.

Absolutely, I think everybody knew this from the beginning. If the season is cancelled it will be because of money and if it is finished it will be down to money, unless the government takes the decision put of the tv companies hands I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Mushy wrote: »
    But they only get to show 4/5 games per round. Not like theyd lose favourable games to FTA providers, and if they got to show all Man Utd and Liverpool games (assuming their matches have biggest numbers) without having to worry about meeting minimum number of showing each team (unless that's already been met), then it would be workable. People will still tune in for the bigger games. Kick off times can be staggered so nothing clashes with their chosen games too, so maybe remove the tv blackout for good.
    They have the rights even if they can only show some games why would they let it any game go FTA unless they get compensated.

If they are the only 2 allowed show the games they have the market and why wouldn't they expoilt it.Crazy to think Sky/BT would allow FTA of even the games they have no interest in without a fee.

They have the red button to show every game live if the authorities allow it and thats what will happen with BCD .

• Advertisement

• And that is the nail on the head there. It's not about integrity or anything like that. It's all about money with English football, especially the top two leagues.

"Integrity of the game" was the buzzwords spun on social media.

Would actually give me certain satisfaction in seeing the likes of Sky Sports ect suffer over the whole crisis.

Robbing people and businesses blind for so many years with extortion level prices. Especially in pubs.

Would actually give me certain satisfaction in seeing the likes of Sky Sports ect suffer over the whole crisis.

Robbing people and businesses blind for so many years with extortion level prices. Especially in pubs.

Ah that’s just a silly attitude.

How are you robbing someone when they know the price before they buy ?

It’s a weird way for you to be getting satisfaction but each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well Sky certainly took the piss out of Irish customers over the years compared to UK prices. I won't lose any sleep over them losing money.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ah that’s just a silly attitude.

It’s a weird way for you to be getting satisfaction.

Fans don’t really have much choice other then boycotting the sport , to try and force change. It’s the fans paying players for the big fees, not the clubs.

We all support our teams in the EPL our own way but we do it by ignoring it’s ugly seedy side. The money in it is obscene, some of the owners allowed to own clubs for political reasons are terrible and let’s not talk about World Cup bids. When there is unregulated corruption at the top you know it’s seeped down to all levels (FAI?!).

But I choose to ignore this stuff becaus it’s easier to enjoy the sport. But I don’t lie to myself, soccer is a cesspit at professional level. Don’t mind players getting big wages but some of its disgusting. I’d actually prefer some sort of cap on a basic wage and pay for play or performance related top ups. Would stop players like Pogba downing tools and might incentivise more consistent performances from players who are less then comitted to a team (and by extension fans) who have invested a huge amount in them.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Fans don’t really have much choice other then boycotting the sport , to try and force change. It’s the fans paying players for the big fees, not the clubs.

We all support our teams in the EPL our own way but we do it by ignoring it’s ugly seedy side. The money in it is obscene, some of the owners allowed to own clubs for political reasons are terrible and let’s not talk about World Cup bids. When there is unregulated corruption at the top you know it’s seeped down to all levels (FAI?!).

But I choose to ignore this stuff becaus it’s easier to enjoy the sport. But I don’t lie to myself, soccer is a cesspit at professional level. Don’t mind players getting big wages but some of its disgusting. I’d actually prefer some sort of cap on a basic wage and pay for play or performance related top ups. Would stop players like Pogba downing tools and might incentivise more consistent performances from players who are less then comitted to a team (and by extension fans) who have invested a huge amount in them.

Not quite sure why you quoted me.

If it’s the ‘choice’ thing we’ll I’m afraid you choose what you choose.

Come on. Are you telling me we have no choice what we spend our money on ?

Not quite sure why you quoted me.

While clubs and the sport has sold its soul to the god of money, I think it’s more comparable with religion then general business. If somebody tried to privatise churches and religion people would think it’s deplorable to try to make money on people’s faith but that’s exactly what’s happened in soccer and many sports.

Having a choice to not do something does not excuse the actions of those monetising something that is effectively a religion to many. Yes, we have a choice to decide not to follow the sport, But people within the sport have a choice to not milk fans for every penny they can. The fact that capitalism and privatisation of the sport is accepted without question, does not change it.

My dad used to have an funny quote “at least Jesse James wore a mask when he robbed people”, EPL and football talks absolute horsesh*t about integrity and fair play, as neither gives a f**k about that so you could argue with that fans are robbed of these things.. Any decision made in EPL now will be about money, which doesn’t always lead to the fairest solutions.

• Ah that’s just a silly attitude.

It’s a weird way for you to be getting satisfaction but each to their own I suppose.

Not a silly attitude

Many publicans have to pay huge prices just to keep their regulars happy that watch sport

And if the match ain't on they will go somewhere else

That's not a weird opinion it's a common reality in real life scenarios and showing sky having a majority stranglehold over the PL on TV with ridiculously high prices for licensces

Then BT is another layer of cost

Some countries pubs use the dodgy box, do I blame them for it? Not me anyway.

• Not quite sure why you quoted me.

Not quite sure why you quoted me either if you are going with that logic to drumpot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Dutch government decided there would be no sport till September. The league had little chance of resuming once that decision was made. The government effectively told the league they were done. I cant imagine September was entirely a coincidental date to pick. There could well be football taking place in their next door neighbours in a couple of weeks. Will that be seen as proof that football in England will be back in the next while the same as how the Dutch league being called is used as proof the PL will be called off?

• Advertisement

Not a silly attitude

Many publicans have to pay huge prices just to keep their regulars happy that watch sport

And if the match ain't on they will go somewhere else

That's not a weird opinion it's a common reality in real life scenarios and showing sky having a majority stranglehold over the PL on TV with ridiculously high prices for licensces

Then BT is another layer of cost

Some countries pubs use the dodgy box, do I blame them for it? Not me anyway.

I’d sometimes pay extra to go to a pub with no TV.

It’s not only soccer fans that go to pubs.

There’s no guns involved in the sales pitch for subscriptions so it is a choice.

If you don’t want it then don’t buy it. Plain and simple.

Who cries about being ‘forced’ to buy something ? I really don’t get that attitude at all.

It’s telling you criticise an upfront sale as robbery yet condone the actual theft of content.

• I’d sometimes pay extra to go to a pub with no TV.

It’s not only soccer fans that go to pubs.

There’s no guns involved in the sales pitch for subscriptions so it is a choice.

Who cries about being ‘forced’ to buy something ? I really don’t get that attitude at all.

It’s telling you criticise an upfront sale as robbery yet condone the actual theft of content.

Ok that is your opinion

• The Dutch government decided there would be no sport till September. The league had little chance of resuming once that decision was made. The government effectively told the league they were done. I cant imagine September was entirely a coincidental date to pick. There could well be football taking place in their next door neighbours in a couple of weeks. Will that be seen as proof that football in England will be back in the next while the same as how the Dutch league being called is used as proof the PL will be called off?

Who has said the dutch league being cancelled is proof the PL will?

I've not read that anywhere.

While clubs and the sport has sold its soul to the god of money, I think it’s more comparable with religion then general business. If somebody tried to privatise churches and religion people would think it’s deplorable to try to make money on people’s faith but that’s exactly what’s happened in soccer and many sports.

Having a choice to not do something does not excuse the actions of those monetising something that is effectively a religion to many. Yes, we have a choice to decide not to follow the sport, But people within the sport have a choice to not milk fans for every penny they can. The fact that capitalism and privatisation of the sport is accepted without question, does not change it.

My dad used to have an funny quote “at least Jesse James wore a mask when he robbed people”, EPL and football talks absolute horsesh*t about integrity and fair play, as neither gives a f**k about that so you could argue with that fans are robbed of these things.. Any decision made in EPL now will be about money, which doesn’t always lead to the fairest solutions.

It’s a round and round ‘argument’.

I see it in a more simple way.

I do what I’m comfortable with.

You say what you say about ‘them’ milking it.

It’s no different to how clubs ‘milk’ fans. And how clubs ‘milk’ their revenue stream. And I’m guessing you’re quite happy how good United are at it as it gives them an edge as a club and as a competitor.

It’s all the same.

I’m not too precious about it but I do draw the line at adults (not you as you do agree it’s a choice after all) whinging about being ‘forced’ to do something.

ps, religions exist to make money on people’s faith. That’s their thing. That and control.

Who has said the dutch league being cancelled is proof the PL will?

I've not read that anywhere.

I'd have to search through .Not sure if it was here or buried in the Coronavirus thread from yesterday or the day before , whenever this broke about the Dutch league, but I was sure there was some attitude of this being the start of a knock on effect.

If you do want it and you can’t afford it, it’s not that plain and simple. Soccer can’t have it every way it wants so I have no issue with people using dodgy boxes. Treat fans like cash cows and you will get pushback. I’ve no sympathy for the sport when people give it the two fingers.

• Advertisement

It’s a round and round ‘argument’.

I see it in a more simple way.

I do what I’m comfortable with.

You say what you say about ‘them’ milking it.

It’s no different to how clubs ‘milk’ fans. And how clubs ‘milk’ their revenue stream. And I’m guessing you’re quite happy how good United are at it as it gives them an edge as a club and as a competitor.

It’s al the same.

I’m not too precious about it but I do draw the line at adults (not you as you do agree it’s a choice after all) whinging about being ‘forced’ to do something.

ps, religions exist to make money on people’s faith. That’s their thing. That and control.

I suppose I see it that I see the sport for what it is, warts and all, but just accept I can’t do anything to change it so no need for me to completely disengage. But I do think it’s corrupt as f**k and has no legs when trying to get people to comply with its selective outrage at people circumventing the rules when they do it themselves when it suits their pockets. (Saudi and Russian billionaires say hi)

I actually think we actually see eye to eye on this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I don’t ever think that as a football fan that I am milked. My mate has a season ticket which costs about 800 quid. About the price of gym membership. 2 football jerseys for the year is 140. Sky subscription is about 40 a month. It’s hardly being milked for all the entertainment I get out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Arsenal to return to individual training at London Colney with strict rules

No group sessions for Arsenal when they return on Monday
    ‘Social distancing will be maintained at all times’
    Arsenal’s players will be allowed to work at the club’s London Colney training ground from Monday in a partial re-opening that marks a cautious step towards normality amid the Covid-19 shutdown.

Their return comes with a number of caveats and will not involve group training sessions. Arsenal decided to act after a week in which Granit Xhaka, David Luiz, Nicolas Pépé and Alexandre Lacazette were all reminded of their social distancing responsibilities, with all bar the latter being photographed training or playing in north London parks. The squad will now be able to operate, albeit to strict guidelines, in their usual workplace with a sharply decreased risk of flouting government regulations......

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/25/arsenal-return-to-individual-training-strict-rules-coronavirus

Arsenal to return to individual training at London Colney with strict rules

No group sessions for Arsenal when they return on Monday
    ‘Social distancing will be maintained at all times’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/25/arsenal-return-to-individual-training-strict-rules-coronavirus

Surprised football is considered an essential service and footballers are key workers.

I presume there must be some exemption...but the logic is not obvious on the face of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Surprised football is considered an essential service and footballers are key workers.

I presume there must be some exemption...but the logic is not obvious on the face of it.

I think seeing football back would give people a real lift. Sport or rather the lack of it is really having an effect on people. Even thinking it's coming back has chirped me up. Watching an actual live game of ball- seems like a year since I've done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I want football back like most people, but the idea of an ambulance sitting there on standby, as per the usual protocol, all the while there are citizens out there dying of that virus, many of whom will be suffering at home and will possibly at some stage need to call 999, just seems very crass and selfish to me.

If this diversion of resources and medical personnel results in the loss of even one life that might have been spared, is it a worthwhile trade off? I don't think so. The priorities seem to be all wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I want football back like most people, but the idea of an ambulance sitting there on standby, as per the usual protocol, all the while there are citizens out there dying of that virus, many of whom will be suffering at home and will possibly at some stage need to call 999, just seems very crass and selfish to me.

If this diversion of resources and medical personnel results in the loss of even one life that might have been spared, is it a worthwhile trade off? I don't think so. The priorities seem to be all wrong.

What if the hospitals are not overwhelmed though. If football is back it means the NHS is dealing with things so this will not be an issue.

niallo27 wrote: »
    What if the hospitals are not overwhelmed though. If football is back it means the NHS is dealing with things so this will not be an issue.

That's it. Football won't be returning until the UK cases, deaths and hospitals are under control. Surely that's a given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can’t see any football being played until 2021.
    Over 20K deaths in the UK and that’s not including nursing homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That's 8 or 9 months away. Nobody knows what will happen in 2 months time never mind 8 or 9.

Interesting now that South America are just about starting feel force of it and how it might play out there. Many seasons over there just starting.

I think we will have football back by then, but behind closed doors. So many will be looking at Germany and if that goes tits up then yes we can pretty much all say goodbye to football till least end of year.

If Germany get it right then hope for all.

Interesting now that South America are just about starting feel force of it and how it might play out there. Many seasons over there just starting.

I think we will have football back by then, but behind closed doors. So many will be looking at Germany and if that goes tits up then yes we can pretty much all say goodbye to football till least end of year.

If Germany get it right then hope for all.

The leading football firms in Germany aren't exactly happy with seeing football back so soon in light of what is going on.

The leading football firms in Germany aren't exactly happy with seeing football back so soon in light of what is going on.

Let's hope it's not their Cheltenham or Liverpool CL night.

Hopefully not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Let's hope it's not their Cheltenham or Liverpool CL night.

Hopefully not.

Don't think it will be, but you just never know. 2 months ago all was very different, hopefully in 2 months time we'll be over the worst of it and back to normal.
    Normality will be different though.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Don't think it will be, but you just never know. 2 months ago all was very different, hopefully in 2 months time we'll be over the worst of it and back to normal.
    Normality will be different though.

True, the sooner it's over the better for thousand different reasons.

You be just bit anxious though that if things go tits up on one of the major leagues it could set it back for everyone else. Personally, I rather wait the extra few months or whatever to get it right then go in too quick and set it back even longer.

Just hope they know what they are doing which I'm sure they do.

• Advertisement

• Are posts deleting themselves or something now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Everton 'appalled' after Moise Kean hosts coronavirus lockdown party

Striker filmed himself partying at home with guests
    ‘The club has made it clear such actions are unacceptable’
    Everton have labelled Moise Kean’s actions “unacceptable” after he flouted coronavirus lockdown restrictions.

The striker filmed himself partying at home with guests in a breach of social distancing regulations during the coronavirus pandemic. Kean, who joined from Juventus for a reported £24m last summer, is likely to face disciplinary action.

A club statement read: “Everton Football Club was appalled to learn of an incident in which a first team player ignored Government guidance and club policy in relation to the coronavirus crisis. The club has strongly expressed its disappointment to the player and made it clear that such actions are completely unacceptable.

“Everton has regularly stressed the importance of following all the Government guidelines – including rules and advice for inside and outside of the home – through a series of official communications to all staff members, including players. The amazing people in the NHS deserve the utmost respect for their hard work and sacrifice. The best way to show them respect is by doing everything we can to protect them......

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/26/everton-appalled-moise-kean-hosts-coronavirus-lockdown-party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Are posts deleting themselves or something now?

Must be I’d say
    Offending posts will not be deleted from now on, but the text will be replaced with a mod note. This is to clear up any question of if there is anything being done on offending posts. As per the charter, there is to be no discussion of mod decisions in-thread - take it to PM if you have any questions.

• True, the sooner it's over the better for thousand different reasons.

You be just bit anxious though that if things go tits up on one of the major leagues it could set it back for everyone else. Personally, I rather wait the extra few months or whatever to get it right then go in too quick and set it back even longer.

Just hope they know what they are doing which I'm sure they do.

I responded to you already but I think my post was deleted or something.

Here it is again

"I genuinely think it's only in its infancy yet.
    Like we are already seeing a resurgence in China.

And the weekend in Ireland is "ah sure it will be grand" approach now.

Alot of hard work being undone too as people were fed up

A vaccine if successful is really the best way to integrate this into daily life".

Must be I’d say

Must be part of the sites glitches that keep telling me that Liverpool have pulled out of the Anelka deal,it's the only explanation as I read the post and it wasn't breaking any rules.

glitches that keep telling me that Liverpool have pulled out of the Anelka deal,.

Hes not up to the top level imo. d say he'll end up at a low mid table club like City.

Hes not up to the top level imo. d say he'll end up at a low mid table club like City.

Heskey has also donated £100,000 to Leicester. How times have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Some of those threads are gas to re-read. Some Posters used have signatures to sign off all their posts like you’d set on your email...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Must be part of the sites glitches that keep telling me that Liverpool have pulled out of the Anelka deal,it's the only explanation as I read the post and it wasn't breaking any rules.

Been glitching for me all over the place. Only appears to be in soccer forum when I click and get the topics from 18 years ago

• Advertisement

Tis a bit steange alright,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement