Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That's some issue that's been going on for over a month, fierce annoying. Still wondering why Derry got a G'wan!

It corrects itself when you refresh the page.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Coronavirus thread is reopened if folks want to discuss it, have removed off topic posts from here. Anymore commenting on deleted posts will be treated as commenting on moderation and carded as per charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Can we start the feedback thread now please? Need something new to talk about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sheffield United would be the unluckiest team if it didn't conclude, I think.
    In 7th place so don't even get Europe (City CAS appeal dependent).

But only 5 points behind 4th place Chelsea with a game in hand, and have a home game against Chelsea to come.
    They also play 6th place Wolves (H) and 5th place MUFC (A) in their remaining games, so a potential Champions League spot is very much in their own hands.

You could also reasonably argue that they are very unlikely to ever be in such a position again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester City might be the luckiest they were in a bit of a free fall only winning 2 drawing 2 and losing 4 in their previous 8.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

RasTa wrote: »
    Can we start the feedback thread now please? Need something new to talk about

We usually have that at the end of the season....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I want football back like most people, but the idea of an ambulance sitting there on standby, as per the usual protocol, all the while there are citizens out there dying of that virus, many of whom will be suffering at home and will possibly at some stage need to call 999, just seems very crass and selfish to me.

If this diversion of resources and medical personnel results in the loss of even one life that might have been spared, is it a worthwhile trade off? I don't think so. The priorities seem to be all wrong.

The availability of medical personnel and ambulances for 'emergencies' are not a problem over here. The regular NHS capacity is very quiet and they are trying to get people to call 999 as they need it for non co-vid cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

dfx- wrote: »
    We usually have that at the end of the season....

12th of March since last United game. 44 days. Seasons over man, season's over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The availability of medical personnel and ambulances for 'emergencies' are not a problem over here. The regular NHS capacity is very quiet and they are trying to get people to call 999 as they need it for non co-vid cases.

They've had to call on the military to support the ambulance services:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1268253/uk-coronavirus-news-boris-johnson-army-ambulance-service-NHS-matt-hancock-covid-19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ambulances might actually be hitting their target response times for the first time in years then. Same as the rest of the NHS, gaping holes in recruitment.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

RasTa wrote: »
    12th of March since last United game. 44 days. Seasons over man, season's over.

United's league season was over well before that! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Sheffield United would be the unluckiest team if it didn't conclude, I think.
    In 7th place so don't even get Europe (City CAS appeal dependent).

But only 5 points behind 4th place Chelsea with a game in hand, and have a home game against Chelsea to come.
    They also play 6th place Wolves (H) and 5th place MUFC (A) in their remaining games, so a potential Champions League spot is very much in their own hands.

You could also reasonably argue that they are very unlikely to ever be in such a position again.

The runners up in the League Cup can't take the Europa League place so that place will go to the league as will the FA Cup spot if its not finished. So if it finishs now 7th and possibly 8th (CAS decision pending) would be in Europe

Everton can only fine Kean a maximum of two weeks wages, Pity they can't send him to do community service in a hospital morgue or with a funeral director.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Everton can only fine Kean a maximum of two weeks wages, Pity they can't send him to do community service in a hospital morgue or with a funeral director.

You think after Kyle Walker they would know better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The runners up in the League Cup can't take the Europa League place so that place will go to the league as will the FA Cup spot if its not finished. So if it finishs now 7th and possibly 8th (CAS decision pending) would be in Europe

If the Premiership is not finished and declared void would they allow any English team to European football as they did not qualify for them. That is of course if all the other league finish there leagues. The only team in England to have a route in to Europe is City (If the CAS case has not been heard) or Aston Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If the Premiership is not finished and declared void would they allow any English team to European football as they did not qualify for them. That is of course if all the other league finish there leagues. The only team in England to have a route in to Europe is City (If the CAS case has not been heard) or Aston Villa

If the league is voided, then no English team will be entered.

The league will not be voided. It will not happen. People need to stop talking about it.

The league, at worst, won't resume and the final standings of the league will be as they are or in accordance with some agreed measurement/algorithm - and the qualifiers for Uefa competitions will be decided based on the sporting merit of this season. It has been stated, its the official position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Secretary Oliver Dowden revealed the discussions over a return to action in order to "support the whole football community".

He told the House of Commons: "I personally have been in talks with the Premier League with a view to getting football up and running as soon as possible in order to support the whole football community.”

FitzShane wrote: »
    Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Secretary Oliver Dowden revealed the discussions over a return to action in order to "support the whole football community".

He told the House of Commons: "I personally have been in talks with the Premier League with a view to getting football up and running as soon as possible in order to support the whole football community.”

interesting, does this imply there could be some mandate that % of costs/profits/revenue from the return of football needs to be used to help lower league clubs?

I doubt it, but its an easy inference to make.

It is also something that I do think should be done. PL can't let L1/L2 (or even Champ) teams go under due to Covid. Some way of covering the accountable shortful from the abandoned seasons should be done. ie. Cover the average gate receipts of the home games left plus any TV money that may not be coming (if a team would have gone under due to a separate financial mess thats a different matter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

interesting, does this imply there could be some mandate that % of costs/profits/revenue from the return of football needs to be used to help lower league clubs?

It is also something that I do think should be done. PL can't let L1/L2 (or even Champ) teams go under due to Covid. Some way of covering the accountable shortful from the abandoned seasons should be done. ie. Cover the average gate receipts of the home games left plus any TV money that may not be coming (if a team would have gone under due to a separate financial mess thats a different matter)

All due respect the premier league have enough of a job making sure some of their own clubs don't go under. If football doesn't return for football league clubs for the start of next season they will be no saving them. Most of them clubs are counting on season tickets been sold and paid up for in the next two months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The Premier League will restart and finish.

Financially it has to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Colchester have let a few players go, and that'll only be the start of it.
    Contracts for journeymen footballers and those who never quite made it are going to fall off a cliff. League 2 players are mostly only on industrial average now, they'll struggle to even keep that level after this. I'd imagine some teams will go part time for at least a season, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if we don't lose at least a couple of clubs.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

ebbsy wrote: »
    The Premier League will restart and finish.

Financially it has to.

Indeed. Four clubs at risk of administration if it goes on past the summer without football I just read. They want to play it out, so much so that they are willing to forgo things like home advantage just to get the games played. Not all obviously, but enough.

.G. wrote: »
    Indeed. Four clubs at risk of administration if it goes on past the summer without football I just read. They want to play it out, so much so that they are willing to forgo things like home advantage just to get the games played. Not all obviously, but enough.

I think as well the Dutch TV companies and clubs were insured against losses.

Nowhere else though it appears....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Manchester United, Chelsea, Spurs and Wolves also still have a route into the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The French league is now cancelled ,
    I wonder where that leaves PSG if the champion league returns they can not play home games until earliest August,

I wonder where that leaves PSG if the champion league returns they can not play home games until earliest August,

There's a football and coronavirus thread BTW for non-EPL discussions like this.

The EPL probably won't have an update for a few weeks yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

8-10 wrote: »
    Manchester United, Chelsea, Spurs and Wolves also still have a route into the CL

Correct if European football is finished. I had forgotten that.

• Advertisement

If the league is voided, then no English team will be entered.

The league will not be voided. It will not happen. People need to stop talking about it.

The league, at worst, won't resume and the final standings of the league will be as they are or in accordance with some agreed measurement/algorithm - and the qualifiers for Uefa competitions will be decided based on the sporting merit of this season. It has been stated, its the official position.

Oh I agree I was just speculating on it. 2 much to lose and legal ramblings to not let it finish be it behind closed doors in secret neutral stadiums or just declared finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

French politicians decided no sport until September, like the Dutch. That left both leagues with little choice but to finish.

European football will have a much different look next season. Qualifying rounds normally start in early July. That's not happening one way or another and there'll be no Dutch or French teams till September at the earliest.

Hopefully the Spanish and german leagues get going and provide a roadmap for the pl .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/swearimnotpaul/status/1255087701965131777

How bizarre it's going to be to see Newcastle as one of a small group of clubs doing any big business in the transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Poch to Newcastle would be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

https://twitter.com/swearimnotpaul/status/1255087701965131777

How bizarre it's going to be to see Newcastle as one of a small group of clubs doing any big business in the transfer window.

Jesus, hes been shopped around to every club in Europe at this stage it looks like. They cant give him away.

• Advertisement

It's just the cost, many teams would take him otherwise. He'd be an excellent buy for Newcastle

I see rumours too that Ancelotti wants James Rodriguez

Manchester United to install safe standing area for 1,500 fans

Club intend to have it in place for next season
    If trial is successful more barrier seats will be added
    Manchester United will trial 1,500 barrier seats that will allow fans to stand next season, after being given permission by Trafford council.

Standing at top-flight games has been banned since 1994 on the recommendation of the Taylor report which followed the Hillsborough disaster of 1989 in which 96 Liverpool fans died.

United applied last year to have barrier seating – which has a rail in front for supporters to lean on – and have the green light to follow Wolves, who were given permission last spring to trial it.

The 1,500 berths are to be in Old Trafford’s J-stand, in the north-east quadrant of the stadium. If the trial is successful the club will add further safe standing places.

Richard Arnold, United’s managing director, said the move followed feedback from fans and had safety in mind. “Our belief is that the introduction of barrier seats will enhance spectator safety in areas of the stadium where – as with other clubs – we have seen examples of persistent standing,” he said.

He also addressed the timing of the announcement amid coronavirus. “Our overwhelming priority is to keep our people safe from the Covid-19 pandemic. It may seem strange to talk about stadium plans at this time, but football and our fans will return when it is safe, and our preparations for that must continue in the background.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/29/manchester-united-to-install-safe-standing-area-for-1500-fans-barrier-seats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

'Unsettled Ndombele considering Tottenham future'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11980501

Jose's poor man management strikes again

bangkok wrote: »
    'Unsettled Ndombele considering Tottenham future'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11980501

Jose's poor man management strikes again

I seen the analysis of Spurs away to Burnley and it focused on Ndombele it was embarrassing ,
    Any time his centre backs got the ball he stood still never made any effort at all to make a run to get free to receive a pass literally just strolled around until he got the ball ,

There is more chance of me winning the world darts championship than Newcastle being a Premier League force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I seen the analysis of Spurs away to Burnley and it focused on Ndombele it was embarrassing ,
    Any time his centre backs got the ball he stood still never made any effort at all to make a run to get free to receive a pass literally just strolled around until he got the ball ,

That's sort of irrelevant though... however terrible he was, that's stuff that should be said to him personally, not to an audience of tens or hundreds of millions of people, including his family and absolutely everyone he knows.

I think there's literally no occasion when stuff like that should be public. It's just not a thing that should ever be on the table. It's such an unbelievably humiliating ****ty thing to do to someone under absolutely any circumstances, and absolutely no-one in any profession should have to put up with that sort of stuff from their boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That's sort of irrelevant though... however terrible he was, that's stuff that should be said to him personally, not to an audience of tens or hundreds of millions of people, including his family and absolutely everyone he knows.

I think there's literally no occasion when stuff like that should be public. It's just not a thing that should ever be on the table. It's such an unbelievably humiliating ****ty thing to do to someone under absolutely any circumstances, and absolutely no-one in any profession should have to put up with that sort of stuff from their boss.

The analysis was on a tv station, not by Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ebbsy wrote: »
    There is more chance of me winning the world darts championship than Newcastle being a Premier League force.

Manchester City are now a Premier League force, indeed holding numerous records. A wall of money will defeat your sporting enemies if it's big enough and thick enough and goes on for years.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Manchester City are now a Premier League force, indeed holding numerous records. A wall of money will defeat your sporting enemies if it's big enough and thick enough and goes on for years.

FFP could have a bigger impact on Newcastle than it did on City, as restrictions are harder to get around now than when City started. And City are getting pinned for it now.

Newcastle will be limited by a percentage of their actual turnover, and the fake sponsorship deals that City have used to inflate their numbers will probably not fly as easily for Newcaslte.

Given a few seasons, and some managed losses, Newcastle can become a force through splashing the cash, but from an FFP perspective it will take some time as they will be banned or docked if they go out and spend 200million in a summer - as their losses on the back of it would be huge.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

It was not Jose it was the sky team watching the game,

Every footballer face critics for poor performances if you can't deal with it its really not the sport for you ,

Also in any other profession if you constantly didn't bother to even try to do the job your paid for you'd be let go ,

I'd have some sympathy if the lad was putting it in and making mistake or poor decisions and just wasn't good enough you can understand that but he literally just wasn't trying which is unforgivable

• ebbsy wrote: »

Just a prediction, they would certainly have the ability to make top 6 in the coming future even with FFP

Just a prediction, they would certainly have the ability to make top 6 in the coming future even with FFP

I think your right,

The fight for top 4 is going to be incredibly tuff ,

City and Liverpool look to be a distance ahead of the rest but Arsenal, Spurs, United and Chelsea fans should be seriously worried and want to get there squads in check,

Leicester and Wolves improving each season and now you we mite have to throw Newcastle into the mix a few years down the line ,

I feel Sheffield united are a one off but some might include them ,

I think your right,

The fight for top 4 is going to be incredibly tuff ,

City and Liverpool look to be a distance ahead of the rest but Arsenal, Spurs, United and Chelsea fans should be seriously worried and want to get there squads in check,

Leicester and Wolves improving each season and now you we mite have to throw Newcastle into the mix a few years down the line ,

I feel Sheffield united are a one off but some might include them ,

Sheffield United are going to be a real interesting one with respect to Newcastle.

Saudi Soverign Wealth Fund vs Saudi Crown Prince.

Feels like there are competition grounds there the PL shouldn't be happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The biggest thing Newcastle need to get right is recruitment. If they can convince young and upcoming players to join the club and help build from there, they will be onto something. Spending £40m on sub-par players won't cut it and City made some big mistakes there too. The ability to buy a player for £40m and replace him again the following summer is not there now.

They already have the fanbase and the potential of a full stadium every week. The only reason they don't have a full stadium every week is because of the current owners.

FitzShane wrote: »
    The biggest thing Newcastle need to get right is recruitment. If they can convince young and upcoming players to join the club and help build from there, they will be onto something. Spending £40m on sub-par players won't cut it and City made some big mistakes there too. The ability to buy a player for £40m and replace him again the following summer is not there now.

They already have the fanbase and the potential of a full stadium every week. The only reason they don't have a full stadium every week is because of the current owners.

Your spot on with this ,

Football is a lot different than it used to be , In the past clubs like Madrid, United , Chelsea could rebuild in one summer by spending 150-200 million on 4 world class players ,

You can't do that now absolute run of the mill just decent players can cost 50-60 million ,

Look at Liverpool VVD and Alisson 140 million for the 2 and at the time people did not rank them as absolute top drawer players, In fact many said Liverpool over spent ,

Maguire and Wan Bissak cost United close to 150 million , Two good players but in my opinion no where near top drawer,

Point is its harder than ever for even big clubs to rebuild, So Newcastle will need time ,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement