Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112101185&postcount=9713

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112150306&postcount=4855

Talking about what United accomplished during the Premier League era is considered 'history' now, so anything before Sky is presumably pre-history. :)

Go outside for a walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Its quite sad the way Man Utd fans are acting regarding Liverpool.

Suppose the majority of them wont be still big Utd fans if the bad times continue for a few more years.

Why the majority of people I knew growing up that are the most passionate fans are Liverpool fans despite the bad years

I expect young kids growing up are more likely to follow Liverpool than United but I don't get your point about the majority of United fans stopping to support them

A few gloryhunters will lose interest but the vast majority of fans growing up the last 20 years are not going to lose interest because of a bad spell just like they didn't with Liverpool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Why the majority of people I knew growing up that are the most passionate fans are Liverpool fans despite the bad years

I expect young kids growing up are more likely to follow Liverpool than United but I don't get your point about the majority of United fans stopping to support them

A few gloryhunters will lose interest but the vast majority of fans growing up the last 20 years are not going to lose interest because of a bad spell just like they didn't with Liverpool

A few :D:D:D:D,

Old Traffords crowds are even dwindling never mind the Irish TV fans losing faith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Its quite sad the way Man Utd fans are acting regarding Liverpool.

Suppose the majority of them wont be still big Utd fans if the bad times continue for a few more years.

In fairness you could just swap Liverpool/Utd at any given time in that first sentence, such is nonsense that goes on here. It's definitely a tango and not a lone dance.

Corholio wrote: »
    In fairness you could just swap Liverpool/Utd at any given time in that first sentence, such is nonsense that goes on here. It's definitely a tango and not a lone dance.

I agree, There def should be a separate thread where they can point score like children against each other and not ruin some of the threads on here with nonsense as you said.

Half them prob never been to OT or Anfield aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I agree, There def should be a separate thread where they can point score like children against each other and not ruin some of the threads on here with nonsense as you said.

But if theres a separate thread dundalkfc10 then how can people like dundalkfc10 try to pointscore?

pjohnson wrote: »
    But if theres a separate thread dundalkfc10 then how can people like dundalkfc10 try to pointscore?

By going into the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Be interesting to see if Idah gets a start for Norwich this weekend - think Pukki is out, and Idah got that hat trick in the cup (admittedly against weaker opposition).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Old Traffords crowds are even dwindling never mind the Irish TV fans losing faith

Ok Ok , we get it. You're the better fan because you support your local team and go to Oriel park, well done you.

Ok Ok , we get it. You're the better fan because you support your local team and go to Oriel park, well done you.

Never have I said that. I just said half them never even been to OT or Anfield so don't understand the "hate" for each other

• Advertisement

Trying to discuss this years PL in this thread is like pissing into the wind sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A club that is a fire hazard and a block as a away end:pac:

A club that is a fire hazard and a block as a away end:pac:

You obvs have no clue why Oriels the way it is, so il leave you too it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Baggly wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if Idah gets a start for Norwich this weekend - think Pukki is out, and Idah got that hat trick in the cup (admittedly against weaker opposition).

Depends of what back line utd have. Nothing to fear if he is up against jones and lindelof

bangkok wrote:
    Depends of what back line utd have. Nothing to fear if he is up against jones and lindelof

How do you figure

How do you figure

The 2 of the them together wouldnt be the best. At least maguire has a calm head.

Never have I said that. I just said half them never even been to OT or Anfield so don't understand the "hate" for each other

How do you know that

bangkok wrote: »
    The 2 of the them together wouldnt be the best. At least maguire has a calm head.

He might have been available if the manager didn't keep him on limping for 50 minutes in a cup game

How do you know that

I said prob, majority of both sets fans i know have never been to either so im guessing it on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I be disappointed if he does not score least 2 if Jones plays

Ultimately, the whole thing where Irish fans get all wound up with each other about English clubs is a bit ridiculous. Because it only amounts to "well I picked a club that is doing better than the one you picked". We all may like various English clubs to a greater or lesser degree, but they're really not worth arguing too much over.

That's not to say LoI fans are better, it's saying there is no huge need for half the aggro and point scoring between Irish fans of British clubs.

He might have been available if the manager didn't keep him on limping for 50 minutes in a cup game

If it was just a knock or a dead leg wouldnt have really made a difference if they took him off. Once his body cooled down after the game it would have been a lot more sore

bangkok wrote: »
    If it was just a knock or a dead leg wouldnt have really made a difference if they took him off. Once his body cooled down after the game it would have been a lot more sore

He should have been took off straight away another lesson in how not to manage a squad

He should have been took off straight away another lesson in how not to manage a squad

No he shouldnt. If he got a kick on the leg he could have played on which he did do. If it was a muscle injury then yea he would have been taken off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Trying to discuss this years PL in this thread is like pissing into the wind sometimes.

Bring on Friday night and PL is back after the Cup break lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Any thoughts on who will get POTY this year? It's usually around now that the talk starts to heat up, with voting ridiculously early around February (?) time.

Mane & KDB are the front 2 runners, but I have a small suspicion that TAA may sneak in with the senior award, but then again I do have some bias there!

Surely TAA is the winner of the YPOTY, baring injury or a total collapse in form.

I cant see past Mane, simply because of how well Liverpool are doing and for some of his pulling it out of the fire performances in the last few months.

KDB has been excellent as well lately, but i think his spell returning to form after his injury will hamper votes somewhat.

TAA for young player would be my guess too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Young player will be Raheem Sterling again ;) TAA should be a shoe in but Grealish certainly has a chance, likewise Mount, Abraham and Cantwell

POTY should be VVD but defenders are rarely given proper recognition, Mane, KDB, Sterling if he regains he scoring touch, Maddison might at a push I think Vardy could be in with a real shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Can't see past Mane, it's one of the most cut and dry selections for PFA POTY that I can remember.

Grealish squeaks into the YPOTY requirements by a month. I dont see him winning it above TAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Call me crazy, but if Vardy gets a nomination, then so should Ings.

I think Ings has been just as important as Vardy has this season, if not more. He has scored some amount of opening goals, winners or equalizers for a team battling relegation. There is only 4 goals difference between them overall, but Vardy did score 5 of his goals in the two games against Newcastle & Southampton where they played against 10 men for 50 and 80 mins.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Any thoughts on who will get POTY this year? It's usually around now that the talk starts to heat up, with voting ridiculously early around February (?) time.

Mane & KDB are the front 2 runners, but I have a small suspicion that TAA may sneak in with the senior award, but then again I do have some bias there!

Surely TAA is the winner of the YPOTY, baring injury or a total collapse in form.

Mane player of the year

TAA young player

Grealish squeaks into the YPOTY requirements by a month. I dont see him winning it above TAA.

What is the age limit? Rashford would be there or there abouts as well

23 or under at start of season. Grealish was 24 in Sept. Rashford well within the range - for next year as well!

23 or under at start of season. Grealish was 24 in Sept. Rashford well within the range - for next year as well!

TAA should get it but rashford will be in the running if he keeps scoring the way he is

We should really do our own vote for POTY and YPOTY. But id imagine it would either

a) mirror the actual one and thus be pointless

or

b) be destroyed by boards.ie soccer forum tribalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I wouldn't rule out either:

1) A TAA double for POTY and YPOTY if the media starts to back the calls;

or

2) A Vardy win for POTY. It's not unusual for the best performing teams to split the vote and for a player at a team in 2nd or 3rd to win the prize.

I think Mané and de Bruyne are the best bets for POTY and TAA for YPOTY, but if it wasn't going to be either of those results, stranger things have happened than the scenarios I've mapped out.

Fwiw, I think there has been several players better for Liverpool than TAA this year so I wouldn't advocate him winning the top prize (young player, fair enough) but media campaigns and fan support have spurred on people in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

We should really do our own vote for POTY and YPOTY. But id imagine it would either

a) mirror the actual one and thus be pointless

or

b) be destroyed by boards.ie soccer forum tribalism

The fact Liverpool are currently unbeaten at the time the awards are heating up it's hard to not see them get both.

Mane for POTY
    TAA for YPOTY

Personally think KDB could get POTY but I wouldn't argue if Mane got it.

Vardy/Ings shouldn't get it imo. There's a Golden Boot award for scoring most goals. Albeit it tends to be a factor for POTY but ultimately that's what they can battle out.

It can be done by a Mod - post two polls with 5 plausible nominations decided by them but lock the thread itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

It can be done by a Mod - post two polls with 5 plausible nominations decided by them but lock the thread itself.

As if this thread isn't bad enough! Watch the fall out of that poll in here.

• Advertisement

Here we go.

https://forms.gle/AFBFMZt6Hvb4Sza3A

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It will be TAA, Maddison, Rashford, Abraham, Grealish and 1 from Chilwell, NDidi, and Adama Traore r for YPOTY I think

Mane, De Bruyne, TAA, Vardy, NDidi and I could see Van Dijk getting another nod, but Rashford will too.

Also, with another half a season to go, surely voting should wait.

jasus someone has office skilz!

wait maybe not - "Submit another response"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Allows more than one vote, won't work unfortunately though I voted anyway

This is it wrote: »
    Allows more than one vote, won't work unfortunately though I voted anyway

Yeah sorted that there. We use forms all the time in Forum Games so i have a few templates to hand!

Weepsie wrote: »
    It will be TAA, Maddison, Rashford, Abraham, Grealish and 1 from Chilwell, NDidi, and Adama Traore r for YPOTY I think

Mane, De Bruyne, TAA, Vardy, NDidi and I could see Van Dijk getting another nod, but Rashford will too.

Also, with another half a season to go, surely voting should wait.

Mason mount surely be one of the nominations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The FA rules for young player of the year are laughable.

Should be 21 max or related to how many appearances they've made previously. I.E max 21 and having never made 10+ PL appearances in a season before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Weepsie wrote: »

First season that Raheem Sterling hasn't been eligible, he won it last year in his 8th PL season

6 votes in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mane and TAA can't see past them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement