Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I watched the PSG / Dortmund CL game the week before football in Europe was generally halted. Good game played with a lot of intensity despite fans not being there.

Okay, not for you so. There's no objective truth to be unearthed here. You won't have to watch when it comes to it.

Well it will be the same for everyone. Some players will react better than others. I don't believe it would be fruitful to guess at which ones.

All seem to be basing it off LASK V Man Utd which would have been a one sided game of football even with fans, one sided games are never fun to watch for a neutral supporter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I keep seeing Utd V LASK put forward as the reason why football behind closed doors is a disaster... but maybe it was just a bit of a shit game? I mean, it was Man Utd against feckin' LASK, when was that ever going to be interesting, barring some major upset? Which very much didn't happen as Utd went on to knock in 5.

By contrast, Valencia V Atalanta behind closed doors was one of the best games I've seen this season, amazing stuff! The lack of crowd was weird obviously, and I'd waaay prefer they were there, but it was still bloody great stuff even without them. PSG V Dortmund wasn't half bad either.

Spot on with this. The argument could easily be made that if the crowd was there, the pressure of the whole situation (big CL knock-out tie) could’ve got to the Atalanta players. Instead I got the impression that the players were very relaxed and able to mentally compare the game to one of their training sessions, insofar as the conditions mirrored their sessions and they were able to more easily draw on/remember the instructions/gameplan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I wonder had the winter break (or whatever was introduced this season-its seems so long ago), which Klopp among others was so vocal in his support of, hadn't happened, would Liverpool already have the job done before the suspension of the league? Talk about irony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I wonder had the winter break (or whatever was introduced this season-its seems so long ago), which Klopp among others was so vocal in his support of, hadn't happened, would Liverpool already have the job done before the suspension of the league? Talk about irony

Nope would not have had any effect, what changed was the FA Cup fixture.

Teams had a 2 week break from one game to the next all that would have happened is those split weekend games would have been on one weekend and the next weekend would have been a cup game or a weekend off if you were out of the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Nope would not have had any effect, what changed was the FA Cup fixture.

Teams had a 2 week break from one game to the next all that would have happened is those split weekend games would have been on one weekend and the next weekend would have been a cup game or a weekend off if you were out of the cup.

There would have likely been 1 extra PL game played by the Atletico game which is the last Liverpool played....I think...in any other season.

They would have also needed to win v Watford.

25pts clear in early March you can't really say there was much more that could have been done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As stated, it still wouldn't have been enough - also, Liverpool didn't actually really even get the break officially. I mean, they just took one anyway, but a Liverpool match still took place righti n the middle of it - they just horsed out the kids instead. So pretty much whatever way ya look at it, there'd have been a bit of fixture congestion, meaning you'd never have managed to squeeze in the extra 2 games needed to have pushed them over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

As stated, it still wouldn't have been enough - also, Liverpool didn't actually really even get the break officially. I mean, they just took one anyway, but a Liverpool match still took place righti n the middle of it - they just horsed out the kids instead. So pretty much whatever way ya look at it, there'd have been a bit of fixture congestion, meaning you'd never have managed to squeeze in the extra 2 games needed to have pushed them over the line.

The price of being the best club in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I do not think that things like 30 minute halves or no relegation were ever up for discussion, or that there would be a 22 team prem league next year.

Stories made up by the papers, nothing else to write about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

ebbsy wrote: »
    I do not think that things like 30 minute halves or no relegation were ever up for discussion, or that there would be a 22 team prem league next year.

Stories made up by the papers, nothing else to write about.

I think that's the problem. They've no football to comment on so they try to disect comments in a way that makes it easier from a click bait perspective. Lots of nonsense being banded about that hasn't really been put forward in essence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Premier League and Championship set to return with nearly 200 individual live games
    Football fans will be able to watch almost all of the remaining 200 matches in the Premier League and the Championship live as scheduling officials and broadcast partners aim to give as many fixtures as possible their own television slot.

The proposal is dependent on the government giving permission for football to resume next month and the Premier League clubs agreeing, in a pivotal shareholders’ meeting on Monday, to complete the season at between eight and ten neutral venues.

There is also the challenge of convincing the players that it is safe to return to training and playing amid continuing concerns about the health risks associated with Covid-19.

But if the Premier League’s Project Restart plan remains on track and football resumes from June 12 , having been suspended since March 13, the intention is to stage between three and four Premier League and Championship games every day at different kick-off times until the end of July.

The proposal will be put to the clubs in both the Premier League, in their meeting on Monday, and the Championship. But The Times understands that the scheduling plan already has government support because it will help to keep people indoors and, perhaps more importantly, dissuade some fans from trying to gather at the neutral venues being used by their teams.

The government is certainly keen for football to come back, with Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, telling reporters on Tuesday that the resumption of a Premier League season that has been on hold since March 13 will “lift the spirits of a nation”...............

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premier-league-and-championship-set-to-return-with-nearly-200-live-games-cbhz78fdq

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

3 or 4 live games a day. After so long without football I could handle it.

Premier League and Championship set to return with nearly 200 individual live games

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premier-league-and-championship-set-to-return-with-nearly-200-live-games-cbhz78fdq

Pretty epic if they can pull it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

All that football would be amazing. No crowds will obviously make the matches less exciting but it's fecking better than watching pundits sitting at home talking about nothing

The productivity of lads working from home will absolutely plummet! :p

Keep an eye on any zoom calls you're on for the flicker of green reflected in fella's eyes as they glance over at their second window!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pretty much like a World Cup month of football on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Pretty much like a World Cup month of football on TV.

But better for me. Would nearly always take a prem game over an international

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

First the bundesliga news and now this. Fantastic stuff for football fans. I can already feel the spirits lifting.

Cant wait to watch some live football soon. Will make do with the ufc this Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I dont think that is even on the table.

well some of the relegation-threatened clubs seem to be pushing it:
    https://www.football365.com/news/scrapping-premier-league-relegation-project-restart-brighton-west-ham-aston-villa
    Scrapping relegation could be the only way to convince six clubs to complete the Premier League season at neutral venues, according to reports.
    And AFAIK the neutral venues thing is non-negotiable

Keep an eye on any zoom calls you're on for the flicker of green reflected in fella's eyes as they glance over at their second window!

It's already unproductive as it is !!!!

• Advertisement

It's already unproductive as it is !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

well some of the relegation-threatened clubs seem to be pushing it:
    https://www.football365.com/news/scrapping-premier-league-relegation-project-restart-brighton-west-ham-aston-villa

And AFAIK the neutral venues thing is non-negotiable

It's gonna be carnage whichever group get fecked over. Top of Championship or bottom of EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Daily Mirror claim fans could be back in stadiums by October under Boris Johnson's roadmap for recovery.

The Daily Mail also claim that EPL clubs will vote to relegate the bottom 3 if they vote against project restart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

As a Brighton fan I think all the games should be played at our stadium it is nicely out of the way and the school of medicine is just across the way from it if there is a need for medical issues.

All the teams and officials could stay in hotels in the area.

As a Brighton fan I think all the games should be played at our stadium it is nicely out of the way and the school of medicine is just across the way from it if there is a need for medical issues.

All the teams and officials could stay in hotels in the area.

Fair enough lad.

BBC Match of the Day's Moment of the Season (so far):

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/1258339917689769985

Liverpool losing to Watford.

You love to see it. The greatest moment of the season is that one time Liverpool lost a game. Back in the big time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This lfc team really triggers people and boils a serious amount of piss. Its great to see. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Are Liverpool fans fixing public votes again so they win? :pac:

What where the other nominations actually? Trying to find it but can't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

ricero wrote: »
    This lfc team really triggers people and boils a serious amount of piss. Its great to see. Long may it continue.

It’s what happens when a team dominates, people love to see them lose. It’s only specific to Liverpool now as they are the dominant team. Man Utd went through this for years. Enjoy it, next year is our year........... (that was a joke, please refrain from losing the rag)

Are Liverpool fans fixing public votes again so they win? :pac:

What where the other nominations actually? Trying to find it but can't

Top 3 were:

1) Watford 3-0 Liverpool (30%)

2) Liverpool 3-1 Man City (22%)

3) Southampton 0-9 Leicester (16%)

Also nominated:

Man City 8-0 Watford
    Everton 3-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 0-1 West Ham
    Liverpool 3-2 West Ham
    Norwich 3-2 Man City

8-10 wrote: »
    Top 3 were:

Also nominated:

Man City 8-0 Watford
    Everton 3-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 0-1 West Ham
    Liverpool 3-2 West Ham
    Norwich 3-2 Man City

Been a weird season really, very little in the way of twists and turns and season-shifting moments. I can understand the Watford one alright, great upset and great performance by them, but at the same time its ultimately a fairly meaningless moment as far as the season goes... like, it was too late to offer anyone any hope of using it to their advantage or anything.

Think I'd have the Norwich City game ahead of it, because at that stage it was a big moment, even though it was so early on. That's the moment that Liverpool got a little breathing room, and the cracks first appeared in what had been an incredible City team.

The other one would be Liverpool Leicester - that was the real potential stumbling block that could've allowed City to reel us back in after christmas, but instead if it was 'pool's best performance of the season. Felt like as much of a pivotal moment as we've had I suppose.

And back down the table it feels like everything has been so jumbled that it's been hard for any one moment to stand out... Leicester's domination of Southampton I suppose since it set a record - but actually I think the return fixture almost stands out more as a story-point. For Southampton to come back after the worst defeat in Premier League history and beat Leicester away a few months later. Loved that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Top 3 were:

Also nominated:

Man City 8-0 Watford
    Everton 3-1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 0-1 West Ham
    Liverpool 3-2 West Ham
    Norwich 3-2 Man City

I thought that Norwich City was a belter of a game. Had absolutely everything in it.

• Yea bit bias here but I thought Utd beating City in OT was one of our best games this year.

No mention of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Been a weird season really, very little in the way of twists and turns and season-shifting moments. I can understand the Watford one alright, great upset and great performance by them, but at the same time its ultimately a fairly meaningless moment as far as the season goes... like, it was too late to offer anyone any hope of using it to their advantage or anything.

Think I'd have the Norwich City game ahead of it, because at that stage it was a big moment, even though it was so early on. That's the moment that Liverpool got a little breathing room, and the cracks first appeared in what had been an incredible City team.

The other one would be Liverpool Leicester - that was the real potential stumbling block that could've allowed City to reel us back in after christmas, but instead if it was 'pool's best performance of the season. Felt like as much of a pivotal moment as we've had I suppose.

And back down the table it feels like everything has been so jumbled that it's been hard for any one moment to stand out... Leicester's domination of Southampton I suppose since it set a record - but actually I think the return fixture almost stands out more as a story-point. For Southampton to come back after the worst defeat in Premier League history and beat Leicester away a few months later. Loved that one.

Norwich 3-0 Liverpool Reminds me of Newcastle 5-1 versus united. Didn’t mean anything in the scheme of things but people love the best teams getting thumped off their perch, even for just a day. You still see clips of that Newcastle game sometimes...

Yea bit bias here but I thought Utd beating City in OT was one of our best games this year.

No mention of it.

It’s kind of like POTY and TOTY awards, completely subjective and open to be swayed by bias voting. Roy Keane captains Man United to the treble in 1999 and David Ginola wins POTY because he scores a great goal against Barnsley...

Drumpot wrote: »
    Norwich 3-0 Liverpool Reminds me of Newcastle 5-1 versus united. Didn’t mean anything in the scheme of things but people love the best teams getting thumped off their perch, even for just a day. You still see clips of that Newcastle game sometimes...

In fairness not long has passed since the game and you've already forgotten who Liverpool were playing :pac:

Yep for me this was the one for sure in our season. This was the biggest win I felt, and Wolves comeback v City to win 3-2 the day after was equally important.

A swing in both of those games at that time of the season could have made a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Yep for me this was the one for sure in our season. This was the biggest win I felt, and Wolves comeback v City to win 3-2 the day after was equally important.

A swing in both of those games at that time of the season could have made a difference.

Genuinely was a better game than anything else on that list.

Sky wouldn't allow a Prem League with no relegation.

And that's what it boils down to. Cash.

Oh yeah, that Wolves v City game was brilliant! Stevens Day too, which just added to it.

The double blow of Leicester v Liverpool and Wolves v City over just a few days effectively decided the season.

I wonder if there's an in-between to be found - how about, only 2 go down, and the top 2 come up from the championship automatically, without the 3rd to 6th playoffs?

Everyone in the relegation zone has that extra chance to stay up in that case, so they might go for it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i would have thought the opposite.

they dont give a **** once all the games are played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭howiya

i would have thought the opposite.

they dont give a **** once all the games are played?

I think you're half right. They don't care what 20 clubs are in the premier league but relegation battles and the business end of the season in general do play a part in driving subscriptions.

In fairness not long has passed since the game and you've already forgotten who Liverpool were playing :pac:

Somebody actually posted that fixture only a few post up from mine, I’ve no excuse! :pac:

The league title end of things has been forgettable to be fair, it over in December. The pool defeat only sticks out for that very reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

That Everton V Chelsea game was a highlight for me. I was in Lanzarote at the time sitting outside with a few beers watching it. Expected to get spanked. Was an enjoyable game!

Of the nominations that Norwich V City game was probably the strangest result of the lot given what happened to Norwich afterwards

City v Wolves was a class game. Full of excitement, a proper cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I wonder if there's an in-between to be found - how about, only 2 go down, and the top 2 come up from the championship automatically, without the 3rd to 6th playoffs?

Everyone in the relegation zone has that extra chance to stay up in that case, so they might go for it...

Looking at the table it could kill the excitement at the top of the championship.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/championship/table

QPR in 13th are currently just 6 points behind the last playoff place. They immediately have nothing to play for (if promotion is limited to two places). Same applies for the 7 teams above them up to & including PNE in 6th - PNE look to be the cut-off point where a top 2 finish is effectively impossible.

Same poll done for player of the season:

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/1258404992316309504

O Captain, My Captain!

Same poll done for player of the season:

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/1258404992316309504

O Captain, My Captain!

Don’t watch much of Liverpool but anytime I’ve watched Henderson I’ve thought of him like Michael Carrick, consistent and reliable but not exceptional. Do Liverpool fans think he’s their best player in EPL this season?

Don’t watch much of Liverpool but anytime I’ve watched Henderson I’ve thought of him like Michael Carrick, consistent and reliable but not exceptional. Do Liverpool fans think he’s their best player in EPL this season?

Absolutely.
    We were a different team without him. Sorely missed when not there. Only then did some fans admit how much he helps transform the team and were delighted when he came back.

• Advertisement

Yes 100%. He's been the driving force for a couple of seasons now and it's painfully obvious when he's not playing. He is exceptional in my book.

On this season I think Virgil van Dijk and Kevin de Bruyne are his only competition and any of the 3 winning wouldn't be a surprise but I'd pick Henderson easily.

Lots of talk about Mane but I don't think he's been as consistent as the above 3 players in the league.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement