Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

8-10 wrote: »
    Yes 100%. He's been the driving force for a couple of seasons now and it's painfully obvious when he's not playing. He is exceptional in my book.

On this season I think Virgil van Dijk and Kevin de Bruyne are his only competition and any of the 3 winning wouldn't be a surprise but I'd pick Henderson easily.

Lots of talk about Mane but I don't think he's been as consistent as the above 3 players in the league.

is he a star in terms of actual play and ability, or is it more leadership and drive?

If I look at McTominay at United I don't think he has a great passer or posses's great technical ability but his work rate, application, drive, character, leadership make him a key man at United (imo) - United are a poorer side without him, even if there are players that are far more creative or technical players in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Absolutely.
    We were a different team without him. Sorely missed when not there. Only then did some fans admit how much he helps transform the team and were delighted when he came back.

It was strange looking on as a rival fan as to how much grief he got from Liverpool posters at times.
    Every team needs a "water carrier", someone who does an important job but isn't spectacular.

Carrick was the same at United and I'll freely admit that I gave him a hard time too. It's only when they aren't there and you see others trying to fill the gap and failing do you realise just how important they are to a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yes 100%. He's been the driving force for a couple of seasons now and it's painfully obvious when he's not playing. He is exceptional in my book.

On this season I think Virgil van Dijk and Kevin de Bruyne are his only competition and any of the 3 winning wouldn't be a surprise but I'd pick Henderson easily.

Lots of talk about Mane but I don't think he's been as consistent as the above 3 players in the league.

I wasn’t insulting him by comparing him to Carrick who was a great all round central midfielder who made United tic. I didn’t fully appreciate Carrick until he left but would take him in a heartbeat right now.

I always love those sort of players, who are good players but excel due to harder to identify qualities like great mentality , hard work, team work and just get on with it with in a humble fashion and no need for attention but are badly missed and only appreciated when not available.

Bruno Fernandes made the same vote Team of the Season... so lets not put too much faith in these votes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

And yet....when they got beaten in the Champions League final to Real, there were a lot of his own fans saying all he was good for was pointing and shouting.

It reminds me of when Giggs won it that time. A token gesture that grew wings by the media.

De Bruyne the player of the season. Mane Liverpool's MVP, with TAA ahead of Henderson too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

'MVP'

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

That Everton V Chelsea game was a highlight for me. I was in Lanzarote at the time sitting outside with a few beers watching it. Expected to get spanked. Was an enjoyable game!

Of the nominations that Norwich V City game was probably the strangest result of the lot given what happened to Norwich afterwards

and the Liverpool V Norwich but they were tiring in that one. If they had won that game things be so much easier for the premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Unsure if coronavirus talk is allowed in this one while other thread is locked, but guess its relevant here too. Behind a paywall so cant read full article, but essentially no relegation is off the table along with nulling and voiding.

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1258432541197045762?s=19

Drumpot wrote: »
    Don’t watch much of Liverpool but anytime I’ve watched Henderson I’ve thought of him like Michael Carrick, consistent and reliable but not exceptional. Do Liverpool fans think he’s their best player in EPL this season?

He is one of those players who make the team more stable by just been there as a leader, like Milner also did and Moreno and Lovern had the opposite effects

N.B not fair to lob Lovern with Moreno to be fair

I get irritated when I see null a d void. It hasn't been an option for weeks. Probably never was, but Uefa took it off the table weeks ago anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

And yet....when they got beaten in the Champions League final to Real, there were a lot of his own fans saying all he was good for was pointing and shouting.

It reminds me of when Giggs won it that time. A token gesture that grew wings by the media.

De Bruyne the player of the season. Mane Liverpool's MVP, with TAA ahead of Henderson too.

And you will find a lot of his ones fans saying him getting sent off V Man City in 2014 and missing 3 of the last 4 games was a big factor in that season too swings and roundabouts fans will like a player and fans will not.

is he a star in terms of actual play and ability, or is it more leadership and drive?

If I look at McTominay at United I don't think he has a great passer or posses's great technical ability but his work rate, application, drive, character, leadership make him a key man at United (imo) - United are a poorer side without him, even if there are players that are far more creative or technical players in the squad.

I would say leadership and drive are the main points but he can pull some class moments out

I get irritated when I see null a d void. It hasn't been an option for weeks. Probably never was, but Uefa took it off the table weeks ago anyway.

Yeah same (but I'm a leeds fan so theres big money riding on these decisions). Only people I see saying bull and void are fans of teams at bottom of championship...and Derby (all on reddit/twitter).

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah same (but I'm a leeds fan so theres big money riding on these decisions). Only people I see saying bull and void are fans of teams at bottom of championship...and Derby (all on reddit/twitter).

It would be a cluster f but how about no relegation but all of those in automatic promotion spots to go up next season and have extra relegation places for the end of next season. I know that would make playoff teams angry

It would be a cluster f but how about no relegation but all of those in automatic promotion spots to go up next season and have extra relegation places for the end of next season. I know that would make playoff teams angry

Yeah would be fun, I was thinking before I dont think they could promote 3 teams with no relegation as fixtures would be a mess. Teams in playoff spots can be angry all they want, wouldn't have as much legal standing as it ends up like a cup competition. Fierce easy to say that though from this position

Yeah would be fun, I was thinking before I dont think they could promote 3 teams with no relegation as fixtures would be a mess. Teams in playoff spots can be angry all they want, wouldn't have as much legal standing as it ends up like a cup competition. Fierce easy to say that though from this position

I say this in jest and I said in to a person in work at lease ye will not have a meltdown this season and finish outside the top 2 (if the season is over)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Unsure if coronavirus talk is allowed in this one while other thread is locked, but guess its relevant here too. Behind a paywall so cant read full article, but essentially no relegation is off the table along with nulling and voiding.

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1258432541197045762?s=19

Excellent news. Hard work should be rewarded and bluffers relegated.

I say this in jest and I said in to a person in work at lease ye will not have a meltdown this season and finish outside the top 2 (if the season is over)

Its Leeds, there'll be a way!

Its Leeds, there'll be a way!

LOL

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I see some suggestions (now ruled out apparently) that some were pushing for games to be played, yet no relegation? What would be the point of restarting in that case? It'd be totally ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

5starpool wrote: »
    I see some suggestions (now ruled out apparently) that some were pushing for games to be played, yet no relegation? What would be the point of restarting in that case? It'd be totally ridiculous.

Presume thats because they wanted to get their tv money but not be relegated

Presume thats because they wanted to get their tv money but not be relegated

Obviously teams that could be relegated will try to do whatever they can to stop it, but if football doesn't restart until the virus is fully dead and crowds are allowed back in, half the professional clubs could have gone bust by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Newcastle ready to spend big on Coutinho and Koulibaly when the window opens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Newcastle ready to spend big on Coutinho and Koulibaly when the window opens.

According to the tabloids. Italian reports say Koilibaly is off to Liverpool. Lets wait and see what actually happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Liverpool are not signing Koulibaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I would say there's more chance of Koulibaly playing for Newcastle than Liverpool next season anyways. Cannot see him at Liverpool at all myself.

That's if Napoli ever actually do sell him. A lot of talk of him going for big money the last few years but nothing ever materialises.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Liverpool are not signing Koulibaly

That's my point. Tabloids and websites make stuff up to sell papers/drive clicks. Plenty of top clubs have already come out and said that there will be very little money spent on transfers this summer due to the crisis. The stories of £80-£100m transfers are pure fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Kyle Walker has broken curfew again.

Hes a bit of an idiot isn't he ? To do it once is bad enough but twice is shocking.

Would love to see City show a bit of backbone and come down hard on him. A massive fine or even terminate his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

First full time professional leagues in England set to be abandoned, League One and Two finished. I'm sure the money swilling around in the Premier League means that scenario much less likely, but still.

Edit: sorry, according to The Athletic and my local newspaper at home!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    Kyle Walker has broken curfew again.

Hes a bit of an idiot isn't he ? To do it once is bad enough but twice is shocking.

Would love to see City show a bit of backbone and come down hard on him. A massive fine or even terminate his contract.

Off to his parents for home cooked meals :pac:

He went and visited his sister, and his mother. Hardly crimes of the century. Yes, against lockdown rules - but worthy of losing his job as a footballer over> I wouldn't think so myself. far less egresious than getting a couple of prostitutes over!

Doesn't help himself though that he tweeted to check in on loved ones, but not visit them.

I'd say there is a large enough percentage of people who have broken the rules in some way over the last 2 months. When it comes to visiting a family member, i'd have it low on my list of gripes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He went and visited his sister, and his mother. Hardly crimes of the century. Yes, against lockdown rules - but worthy of losing his job as a footballer over> I wouldn't think so myself. far less egresious than getting a couple of prostitutes over!

Doesn't help himself though that he tweeted to check in on loved ones, but not visit them.

I'd say there is a large enough percentage of people who have broken the rules in some way over the last 2 months. When it comes to visiting a family member, i'd have it low on my list of gripes.

It wouldn't surprise me if he is sold, Wasn't his first transgression with the sex party the day before Pep mother died of Cornavirus,

I know there not directly connected but the mangers lost his mother and Walker is partying with hookers that surely won't sit to well ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

People are reaching with Walker, why does the club have to do anything ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Clubs fine players all the time from breaking the rules they've set. This is the second time he's broken the lockdown so I'd say he'll be fined. Same as Rojo has been reprimanded by United.

Let the police deal with it.

I can't imagine my job fining me a weeks wages if they saw a picture of me hugging my mum.

• Advertisement

I can't imagine my job fining me a weeks wages if they saw a picture of me hugging my mum.

Bit different being in a position of influence in the public eye.

Unless your job is so in the public eye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Abandoning lower leagues that don’t have large TV revenue streams is the only sensible decision available. It is likely those leagues will never resume again in their current format until we are post vaccine / public health solution. Many of those clubs will perish in the interim.

It is a different sport at the higher levels, it always was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Abandoning lower leagues that don’t have large TV revenue streams is the only sensible decision available. It is likely those leagues will never resume again in their current format until we are post vaccine / public health solution. Many of those clubs will perish in the interim.

Great point. No gate revenue = end of the world lower down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Think that's more of a society issue if you're looking at footballers as a position of influence

*the you're isn't specific to you btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Absolutely, would have been financial suicide to try and restart, Parry was clearly talking out of his hole the other week saying the league was going to finish. What he meant was the Championship but didn't have the balls to say it.

Social distancing next season would be feasible for some with bigger grounds. Milton Keynes social distance every week in a very spacious ground, but Northampton have a ground that holds 7,500 give or take, and average gate around 5,000. I'd guess we go part time for at least a season. Sorry, off topic.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

I get a bit scared at all this let the police deal with people visiting their own family stuff. Are we all living in a police state? Let the police do their job of catching [real] criminals! Kyle Walker visiting his Mum and Sister is a storm in a tea cup. Maybe a club fine, as he is a professional footballer in the public eye, maybe not? But I don't see it as a police issue myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Okon wrote: »
    I get a bit scared at all this let the police deal with people visiting their own family stuff. Are we all living in a police state? Let the police do their job of catching [real] criminals! Kyle Walker visiting his Mum and Sister is a storm in a tea cup. Maybe a club fine, as he is a professional footballer in the public eye, maybe not? But I don't see it as a police issue myself.

It is a police matter. They have the power to issue fines to those breaking the lockdown rules, same as here.

Absolutely, would have been financial suicide to try and restart, Parry was clearly talking out of his hole the other week saying the league was going to finish. What he meant was the Championship but didn't have the balls to say it.

Social distancing next season would be feasible for some with bigger grounds. Milton Keynes social distance every week in a very spacious ground, but Northampton have a ground that holds 7,500 give or take, and average gate around 5,000. I'd guess we go part time for at least a season. Sorry, off topic.

Could set it up like this

x
    x
    x
    ---x
    x----
    x
    x
    x
    ---x
    x----

But the danger is those who are rushing last minute to games where there is a bottle neck at turn styles, at food stands and of course the bogs

x
    x
    x
    ---x
    x----
    x
    x
    x
    ---x
    x----

But the danger is those who are rushing last minute to games where there is a bottle neck at turn styles, at food stands and of course the bogs

3-2-3-2 - Peps influence ranging even beyond the pitch!

x
    x
    x
    ---x
    x----
    x
    x
    x
    ---x
    x----

You're missing your keeper :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm assuming it's also like foosball where all the players are taped to a long plank to stop them getting too close also

You're missing your keeper :pac:

Keeper is the advertising boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd imagine because his actions have the possibility to severely impact the financial health of the club and the competitions they compete in?

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's also like foosball where all the players are taped to a long plank to stop them getting too close also

They'll play in those inflatable ball things that are used for stag activities and corporate events an the likes. Bubble football I think it's called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

More than this i'd imagine it would just be about bringing City's name negative media coverage again. As much as players, they're used by their clubs as ambassadors for the brand.

Agreed with others though, that in this particular instance, there's really not much of an issue... I mean, I can understand it, especially if both parties have been isolating/social distancing for 2 weeks. (how longs it been since he got the hookers round?)

Could see him being fined internally or whatever for the first instance as it genuinely could be considered to have made them look bad, but not so much this one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement