Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Here is a question
    For next season not this , would most grounds be able to seat season ticket holders at a 2 meter gap ?
    I know a few clubs wouldn't be able to do it but I sure many would ,
    Old Trafford hold 72 thousand and there is only 53 thousand season tickets sold, Take into account not everyone would be able to travel ,

Could be an idea to get football back to some kinda norm next season ,
    i doubt it.

I know some stadiums have said they'd be reduced down to about 30% capacity working with a 2m space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

poppers wrote: »
    how does that work
    villa 25 from 28 is 0.892857ppg
    watford/west ham and bournmouth 27 from 29 is 0.931034ppg and west ham have better goal difference?

There are 2 methods of calculating it, and West Ham go down by one of them.

Beyond that, you might need to ask more enlightened posters on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

poppers wrote: »
    how does that work
    villa 25 from 28 is 0.892857ppg
    watford/west ham and bournmouth 27 from 29 is 0.931034ppg and west ham have better goal difference?

There's two ways, weighted PPG or just PPG and both are worked out over a 38 game season rather than just the games everyone has played.

Weighted seems to be the option they consider less evil.
    It is understood the least unpopular adaption is expected to be a choice between points per game (PPG) and weighted PPG, which recognises the fact teams are more likely to win points at home than away. This is done by working out each side’s PPG for fixtures at home and those away, then multiplying those two numbers by 19 and adding them together for a 38-game total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Would taking the 3rd place championship team after ppg average is done and keeping the 3 up 3 down not be the best outcome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mushy wrote: »
    I think that's if the pl play their games and the championship dont finish it on the pitch. But either way they wouldnt be in the pl next year (unless go on a great run)

I think realistically in sporting terms you have to finish both, I think Norwich's point is fair enough in that sense.

It seems the Championship is waiting for the PL to decide the starting up/relegation issue before taking their vote, which is fair enough imo.

Corholio wrote: »
    I think realistically in sporting terms you have to finish both, I think Norwich's point is fair enough in that sense.

It seems the Championship is waiting for the PL to decide the starting up/relegation issue before taking their vote, which is fair enough imo.

i don't see why it is Norwich's business how the promoted sides for the Championship are decided.

The only think Norwich have control or concern over, is not finishing in the bottom 3 in the PL.

The 3rd champ club could be picked by a random number generator for all it is the business of Norwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i doubt it.

I know some stadiums have said they'd be reduced down to about 30% capacity working with a 2m space.

Also just getting people in and out, and to their seats while also keeping proper social distancing would be very tough.

i don't see why it is Norwich's business how the promoted sides for the Championship are decided.

The only think Norwich have control or concern over, is not finishing in the bottom 3 in the PL.

The 3rd champ club could be picked by a random number generator for all it is the business of Norwich.

Well I think it is somewhat their business that teams who replace them have completed the season the same. It's more of a legal/rule thing than anything that clubs who didn't complete the season, and in essence avoid the chance of that changing, would replace some who has. No qualms about the bottom 3 going down like normal of course, but it throws up arguments if, and it's only if, the two leagues both overseen by the FA run differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Great news from Italy. The football is back on June 13th.

Not long now until the premeir league returns

ricero wrote: »

Won't be for long. If a player tests positive the squad goes into isolation. Italian football has zero chance under that process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well I think it is somewhat their business that teams who replace them have completed the season the same. It's more of a legal/rule thing than anything that clubs who didn't complete the season, and in essence avoid the chance of that changing, would replace some who has. No qualms about the bottom 3 going down like normal of course, but it throws up arguments if, and it's only if, the two leagues both overseen by the FA run differently.

Two different league organisations

They are different competitions ran by different organisations.

They don't get a say in the running of the championship season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Great point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Cool, what date is the Premier League returning on?
    I was looking and I couldn't find anything on it...

They are different competitions ran by different organisations.

They don't get a say in the running of the championship season.

Not entirely true. They are both overseen by the FA in certain matters, so they are not entirely separate. It's part of the tripartite agreement between the FA, the PL and the EFL. The EFL wouldn't be able to tell the PL what to do either supposedly so but they have threatened legal action if 3 clubs aren't promoted/relegated, in legal terms it would work both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think you misinterpreted the meaning of their post.
    (either intentionally, or otherwise)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

There's no date set yet other than not before June 1st

Patience is the name of the game right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Like many of theses stories about any sports returning there is a lot of aspiration about them, and a lot of "pending government approval"

The BBC is reporting that Italian story as "Serie A plans to resume its season on 13 June if Italy's government approves."

I don't think anyone can be sure soccer is back until the last game of the 19/20 season is over.

There are numerous hurdles before that can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dele Alli was assaulted and suffered mild injures when he was robbed him at knife point when burglars broke into his house.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Like many of theses stories about any sports returning there is a lot of aspiration about them, and a lot of "pending government approval"

The BBC is reporting that Italian story as "Serie A plans to resume its season on 13 June if Italy's government approves."

I don't think anyone can be sure soccer is back until the last game of the 19/20 season is over.

There are numerous hurdles before that can happen.

Money talks even over health and death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Harry Kane is going to be the paying for the shirt sponsorship for Leyton Orient next season the sponsor logos on the three jerseys will be thank yous to Frontline workers, Haven House Children’s Hospice and Mind which is a mental health charity.

That is great gesture to the team that gave him his league debut when he was on loan there and a thank you to everyone working on the frontlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Harry Kane is going to be the paying for the shirt sponsorship for Leyton Orient next season the sponsor logos on the three jerseys will be thank yous to Frontline workers, Haven House Children’s Hospice and Mind which is a mental health charity.

That is great gesture to the team that gave him his league debut when he was on loan there and a thank you to everyone working on the frontlines.

That really is a great thing for him to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

eigrod wrote: »
    That really is a great thing for him to do.

Certainly is. Reckon that might start the ball rolling on other high profile players helping out their previous clubs in a financial and practical manner.
    I'm sure some have done it already but might not have made it as public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I can remember Heskey doing it with Leicester years ago too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Its inevitable that when football does start up again you'll have players losing the plot, as usual, high tackle, a punch so on, but instead it will be a ''cough'' . They'll have to make coughing a red card offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Its inevitable that when football does start up again you'll have players losing the plot, as usual, high tackle, a punch so on, but instead it will be a ''cough'' . They'll have to make coughing a red card offence.

really? how do you enforce that, the ref decides what a 'legitimate' cough vs a 'fake' one is?

although, i hope you're being sarcastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

FitzShane wrote: »
    I can remember Heskey doing it with Leicester years ago too.

Liar you've only remembered that because boards keeps feckin up and showing threads from 15 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Any footballer pretending or purposely coughing on an opposition footballer should just be banned.

Stupid carry on and not slightly amusing

Any footballer pretending or purposely coughing on an opposition footballer should just be banned.

Stupid carry on and not slightly amusing

should be banned anyway, its disgusting. but the question is, how do you decide?

frank rijkaard and rudi voller was obvious (spitting in that case).

but at a corner. you have at least 9 players competing in close proximity. what happens if i have a legit cough just to clear my throat? i wont be using cough etiquette, my arms will be poised for a jump, holding back a player, or simply keeping my balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

Jaysus this forum reaching new heights of inanity!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

should be banned anyway, its disgusting. but the question is, how do you decide?

frank rijkaard and rudi voller was obvious (spitting in that case).

but at a corner. you have at least 9 players competing in close proximity. what happens if i have a legit cough just to clear my throat? i wont be using cough etiquette, my arms will be poised for a jump, holding back a player, or simply keeping my balance.

No need to complicate matters, if a player intentionally coughs 'at' a player then it should be a red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Happy Invincibles day everyone, a feat only a really great team could achieve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Oranage2 wrote: »

yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Then why would you post this in the PL thread and not your own thread?

And people like to say it's just Utd and LFC fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

We all remember how classy that side was Even when they didn’t lose games that season.

cnR9hmocraiDoQk7oWDCsd.jpg

The next season they threw pizza at United when we broke their record... Classy classy side....

Utd and the referee absolutely shafted Arsenal out of their record in fairness, not sure I've seen a more biased ref performance.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Then why would you post this in the PL thread and not your own thread?

And people like to say it's just Utd and LFC fans?

I vote United and Liverpool fans join up against these Arsenal voyeurs. Nothing like a common enemy to unite foes :pac:

No need to complicate matters, if a player intentionally coughs 'at' a player then it should be a red card.

i agree that it should be a red card.

how would you define intentionally coughing at a player though?

something a bit more light hearted:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/11987654/the-day-david-james-played-up-front-for-man-city

decent volley attempt towards the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Drumpot wrote: »
    I vote United and Liverpool fans join up against these Arsenal voyeurs. Nothing like a common enemy to unite foes :pac:

Greatest team never to win the European cup :D

• Advertisement

Utd and the referee absolutely shafted Arsenal out of their record in fairness, not sure I've seen a more biased ref performance.

This really is news to me. I don’t recall rival fans whinging for 20 years about Refs being on United’s payroll or being controlled by SAF or giving United all big decisions or adding time for United when it suited and then completely ignoring anything that was the opposite of this..

I always thought there was mutual respect and an acceptance that better teams get bigger calls more often , quite often because they have more possession and are in more advanced attacking areas of pitch and by default are fouled more in these areas.

:D

i agree that it should be a red card.

how would you define intentionally coughing at a player though?

Cough being sent to VAR, sponsor opportunity for Benylin.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Cough being sent to VAR, sponsor opportunity for Benylin.

What’s gonna happen with players who clear their noses by putting their finger on one side and clearing out of the other. I can see there being a few genuine mistakes Getting people in trouble.

Drumpot wrote: »
    What’s gonna happen with players who clear their noses by putting their finger on one side and clearing out of the other. I can see there being a few genuine mistakes Getting people in trouble.

Leave the pitch to blow your nose I guess! Old habits will die hard though. With all involved being tested twice a week though they will surely have a safer working environment than anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah, why would you be blowing your nose at someone in the first place, regardless of the current situation? You move away from people and do it in a different direction.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Leave the pitch to blow your nose I guess! Old habits will die hard though. With all involved being tested twice a week though they will surely have a safer working environment than anyone else.

That’s the thing, there are a few habits that are hard to change and some instinctual reactions.

Players shouting at refs or other players. Imagine one case, even one case throughout the world where a player shouts at somebody , subsequently has the virus and the person they shouted at gets it. Even sweat between players, going for headers etc.

I think a lot of this stuff will just become part of the risk in the game but will be potentially hot issues until we get used to the new normal.

Yeah, why would you be blowing your nose at someone in the first place, regardless of the current situation? You move away from people and do it in a different direction.

I was thinking at stuff like corners or moments in a match where a player just had a second to clear their nose and they do it anywhere on a pitch (not necessarily on somebody). Then there’s a tussle near that spot and questions over whether the area was “contaminated”.

It’s like at birthday parties where blowing on a cake may become a big no no, I’m just wondering what things are going to be big issues at the start until things settle into a reasonable new norm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

Would totally disagree with that statement. A team could feasibly remain unbeaten all season and get relegated. Would that still constitute as a ‘really great team’ if they did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Rooney dived for the penalty but in fairness to the ref even Andy Gray on commentary said ‘that’s a penalty’ as soon as it happened.. only on the replay could the dive be seen.

I don’t remember too many other decisions go against Arsenal that day. 2-0 Utd.

• Advertisement

Rock77 wrote: »
    Rooney dived for the penalty but in fairness to the ref even Andy Gray on commentary said ‘that’s a penalty’ as soon as it happened.. only on the replay could the dive be seen.

I don’t remember too many other decisions go against Arsenal that day. 2-0 Utd.

Selective memory then, Utd should have had at least 2 red cards, look it up or carry on in blissful ignorance!

Edit : Found this.. watch it and tell me it was a dodgy pen and nothing more, I dare you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement