Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

At least you are up front and honest about it.

Indeed. Its a disgusting mindset and one I dint understand at all, but at least they are honest about their utter disregard for the well being of footballers they would claim to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

To be honest, whether we win it

on the pitch
    in the courtroom
    or season curtailment

I will not really care. As long as Henderson lifts that trophy.

Anyway, it will finish on the pitch, but only for financial reasons.

Indeed. Its a disgusting mindset and one I dint understand at all, but at least they are honest about their utter disregard for the well being of footballers they would claim to support.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

6 wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of people want football to return. Any sport at this stage tbh!

I miss football, its literally the last thing I still watch exclusively on television. I want it back but I feel certain countries its harder to manage. England have a certain amount of their public basically taking the piss the past few months when restrictions were in place going for picnics, protesting and singing/conga-lining to celebrate WWII. :confused: Due to these people it might never be officially safe until a vaccine is distributed and you can guarantee antivaxers will be out in force then.

Football clubs clearly can't afford to wait that long though as paying players is unsustainable without huge sums of money coming in. The few footballers who have been caught out during it too I have absolutely zero sympathy for them. I'd not allow any of them to play for the rest of this rescheduled season and I'd have fined them(I'm not sure have any of them even been punished thus far). Maybe the chancellor exchequer really needs their wages. :rolleyes:

The Bundesliga is the guinea pig for major leagues this weekend and if it goes any way ok for the next few weeks La Liga, PL and Serie A will follow shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Are you surprised?

Do you think Liverpool fans would care half as much if they where 10th with nothing to play for?

That's not a go at ebbsy, but it makes sense as to why Liverpool fans primarily want the league to return.

For me football returning would be consistent with my views on all things relating to covid19. I think we have to find a way to deal with and live with the virus. We cant get rid of it, we cant lock away till we find a vaccine, we dont have the money to continue with the measures we have had to use to contain it. There are other bad side effects of what we are doing. Everyone has different opinions on this and different circumstances at home to deal with and consider. I support Liverpool and dont just want football back because of that . I want it back as its consistent with my views. We had to supress the virus and the right moves were made. I think we are at a different stage now where we have to accept the virus, make sure hospitals dont get overwhelmed and keep vulnerable people safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I see in one of today's papers that an EPL player "broke lockdown rules in 2 countries as he flew to France for a sex party".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I see in one of today's papers that an EPL player "broke lockdown rules in 2 countries as he flew to France for a sex party".

Jammy git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Talk about Taking “might aswell be hung as a lamb as a sheep” to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

ebbsy wrote: »
    To be honest, whether we win it

on the pitch
    in the courtroom
    or season curtailment

I will not really care. As long as Henderson lifts that trophy.

Anyway, it will finish on the pitch, but only for financial reasons.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever get that trophy lift moment, even with a title win. Authorities, inside and outside football, was a little close contact between people as possible so having people grouped together won't be possible.

I'd prefer if they left any potential trophy lift for the opening ceremony of sort for a victory parade in Liverpool city with all the fans, when they are able to.

And tbh not sorry for this talk in this thread, as I just got the email about an hour ago to check in for my flight to Liverpool today for the end of season parade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

These players breaking lockdown are the ones that make the general public have no sympathy for multi millionaire footballers and get them all tarred with the same brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever get that trophy lift moment, even with a title win. Authorities, inside and outside football, was a little close contact between people as possible so having people grouped together won't be possible.

I'd prefer if they left any potential trophy lift for the opening ceremony of sort for a victory parade in Liverpool city with all the fans, when they are able to.

And tbh not sorry for this talk in this thread, as I just got the email about an hour ago to check in for my flight to Liverpool today for the end of season parade!

If its won they'll get the trophy on the pitch at some point. The Dortmund players clapped the fans at the end of their game today. They aren't there obviously but they know they are watching. The players will get their reward on the pitch, 2m apart form each other. it'll be sh!t buts better than nothing. If we ever get back to normal before another champion is crowned they'll have the celebration with the fans then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Surely all of us soccer fans want football to return, otherwise it is odd even being on this forum.

Liverpool fans want to finish this season when football returns and some other fans don't is the subtle difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

rgace wrote: »
    Surely all of us soccer fans want football to return, otherwise it is odd even being on this forum.

Liverpool fans want to finish this season when football returns and some other fans don't is the subtle difference.

Who doesn’t want it to finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Who doesn’t want it to finish?

Me. It would be a funny turn of events for Liverpool to be so close and for the season to be cancelled. After how great they've been the last couple of seasons.

They fully deserve it mind. Just from a story point of view it would be a little funny? Maybe just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Me. It would be a funny turn of events for Liverpool to be so close and for the season to be cancelled. After how great they've been the last couple of seasons.

They fully deserve it mind. Just from a story point of view it would be a little funny? Maybe just me.

I would reckon you’re in a small minority. People just want normality back in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I would reckon you’re in a small minority. People just want normality back in their lives.

Oh I won't football back, i want normality back. Just about the season being cancelled like you asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fun quiz here on the BBC to kill some time: name the 129 players that won the Premier League more than once...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52665426

Managed to get all of them, but needed the clues for some of the full-backs. Also one keeper has a really tough name to spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fun quiz here on the BBC to kill some time: name the 129 players that won the Premier League more than once...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52665426

Managed to get all of them, but needed the clues for some of the full-backs. Also one keeper has a really tough name to spell.

Putting in 1 surname nets 3 answers in a row :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭FluffPiece

hetuzozaho wrote: »

I can respect honesty in this regard. I'd probably be the same if the shoe was on the other foot

Of course the bottom teams voted to come back to training, with the fact that void and no relegation were never on the table.

And that they would probably go bust.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

Of course the bottom teams voted to come back to training, with the fact that void and no relegation were never on the table.

And that they would probably go bust.

Don’t think it was ever an issue for the clubs, it’s the players. Today’s news was always expected but now the clubs have another job of persuading the players to return.

Maybe there won’t be an issue in that but perhaps there might be and if so that’s the biggest obstacle they’ll have to overcome.

JoshRosen wrote: »
    Don’t think it was ever an issue for the clubs, it’s the players. Today’s news was always expected but now the clubs have another job of persuading the players to return.

Maybe there won’t be an issue in that but perhaps there might be and if so that’s the biggest obstacle they’ll have to overcome.

Well if they do not come back then that will be 3 points deducted per game forfeited.

Liverpool could do it without kicking a ball or winning a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

As I said before I think that Germany being back already has helped with progress happening in England.

If no league was back yet and England was the first country to lift these restrictions to get teams back training and playing it would be a much harder sell.

Well if they do not come back then that will be 3 points deducted per game forfeited.

Liverpool could do it without kicking a ball or winning a game.

Don’t think that would be the case. I’m sure it would have to be a vote and it would be the players union saying they’re not returning.

I’m no expert on it but I guess it works something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pochettino's gardening leave is over and he is now free to join a premier league club without himself or that club having to pay Spurs compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pochettino's gardening leave is over and he is now free to join a premier league club without himself or that club having to pay Spurs compensation.

If 19m a year is on offer at Newcastle, will be hard see him not go there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

troy deeney not going back training:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11686/11990788/troy-deeney-tells-watford-he-wont-return-to-training-amid-concerns-for-sons-health-and-bame-players

he appears to have 3 main issues:

his sons health
    additional risks for BAME players, with no increased safety protocols
    the fact that the PL seem intent on going ahead, regardless of what happens with the testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11686/11990788/troy-deeney-tells-watford-he-wont-return-to-training-amid-concerns-for-sons-health-and-bame-players

his sons health
    the fact that the PL seem intent on going ahead, regardless of what happens with the testing.

Think of all the workers all over England who have gone back to work and don't get regularly tested and don't have a doctors and medical equipment on site,

They probably have the safest out of home work place you could possibly be going back into ,

i know utd have been linked with Jadon Sancho a lot and will cost a fortune, but if they didnt get him i wonder how much Havertz of Leverkusen would go for. excellent again last night and can play right wing as well

bangkok wrote: »
    i know utd have been linked with Jadon Sancho a lot and will cost a fortune, but if they didnt get him i wonder how much Havertz of Leverkusen would go for. excellent again last night and can play right wing as well

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11881/11989830/bundesliga-scouting-report-erling-haaland-alphonso-davies-kai-havertz

read that earlier. i dont really know anything about him. what's his main position?

i'd say BM will hoover him up anyway!

• Advertisement

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11881/11989830/bundesliga-scouting-report-erling-haaland-alphonso-davies-kai-havertz

read that earlier. i dont really know anything about him. what's his main position?

i'd say BM will hoover him up anyway!

he plays as an attacking midfielder big unit as well, 6f 2 or 3, left footed but plays on right wing as well

Think of all the workers all over England who have gone back to work and don't get regularly tested and don't have a doctors and medical equipment on site,

They probably have the safest out of home work place you could possibly be going back into ,

absolutely, as work places go it must be the safest. i suppose he has that luxury.

some PL CEO said if players dont return they shouldnt be paid. Troy mentioned in the article he'd be happy to do that.

he did lose 3 family members to Covid though, so you can understand his reluctance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

his sons health

He is totally within his rights to do so. I wonder what will happen with his wages. The same way the majority of players are totally within their rights to go back to protect their livelihood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

he plays as an attacking midfielder big unit as well, 6f 2 or 3, left footed but plays on right wing as well

He was strongly linked to Liverpool around Christmas and the rumoured asking price was €120m+.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He was strongly linked to Liverpool around Christmas and the rumoured asking price was €120m+.

cant see them getting both Werner and him unless of course Salah leaves but after what has happened around the world with the virus i doubt we will be seeing to many big transfers this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TitianGerm wrote: »

Dya reckon Pool have the funds to be extravagant in the market this summer? I know they were pushing 120m at Christmas but thought he would have gone for about 60/70m at the time. Bayern will get into his head and Hoover him up for about 40/50m..

Hes going to be the Star of the next German team, they wont want to miss out on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Trigger wrote: »
    Dya reckon Pool have the funds to be extravagant in the market this summer? I know they were pushing 120m at Christmas but thought he would have gone for about 60/70m at the time. Bayern will get into his head and Hoover him up for about 40/50m..

Hes going to be the Star of the next German team, they wont want to miss out on that.

Don't think Liverpool were ever going to buy him at €120m. There's rumours now of a similar deal to the Kieta one now for Werner.

cant see them getting both Werner and him unless of course Salah leaves but after what has happened around the world with the virus i doubt we will be seeing to many big transfers this summer

I 100% disagree with this,
    Klopp been slowly building a fantastic squad year on year and the logical next step is to have someone who can challenge the front 3

Every big teams should always have an extra attacking player capable of coming into the starting without the quality dropping ,

Fergie always had 4 very capable forwards ,

In saying that the left full is also a position we need challenger for ,

I 100% disagree with this,
    Klopp been slowly building a fantastic squad year on year and the logical next step is to have someone who can challenge the front 3

Every big teams should always have an extra attacking player capable of coming into the starting without the quality dropping ,

Fergie always had 4 very capable forwards ,

In saying that the left full is also a position we need challenger for ,

i said they wont sign BOTH werner and Havertz, they might sign 1, no chance of signing both, maybe you misread what i said

• Advertisement

i said they wont sign BOTH werner and Havertz, they might sign 1, no chance of signing both, maybe you misread what i said

Sorry my point was I don't think its anything to do with if Salah leaves or not,
    Havertz would be one of the midfield 3 ,
    I think they want someone to compete with the front 3 , midfield im not sure ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sorry my point was I don't think its anything to do with if Salah leaves or not,

I wouldnt be so sure, if he was to sign for Pool I think he would actually be better in the firmino false 9 role, being the creator for salah/Mane and linking everything together. Sure he could play further back but might be a waste of his abilities in that set up

Anyways, he will probably stay where he is the coming season and move to Bayern for a cut price deal next year

if salah left he would be a direct replacement on the right for salah, they could also sign Werner as well in that scenario, but if salah stays (which i think he will) i think they only sign Werner this summer thats why Utd could be a good fit for him. I still think Bayern will try to sign Sane but who knows now what will happen.

Deeney has a 5 month old son who has had breathing problems. Amount of abuse he has been getting for trying to protect his family is awful. Why do some opposition fans care that much about what he does anyways?

A player can't be forced to play,and Deeney won't be. Don't see an issue with him refusing to play. Same with anyone that wants to stop working for family or health reasons.

What will be interesting will be what happens to his contract,and how the club handle him if he is out long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Deeney has a 5 month old son who has had breathing problems. Amount of abuse he has been getting for trying to protect his family is awful. Why do some opposition fans care that much about what he does anyways?

The abuse is not right but you have had nurses and other front line workers going out of pocket to move out their homes and still work while footballers will be the most protected workers out there with the number of tests they will have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It's fine I have no problem but he shouldn't be getting paid obviously if the rest of the players are back and it's legal for clubs to operate.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    It's fine I have no problem but he shouldn't be getting paid obviously if the rest of the players are back and it's legal for clubs to operate.

That's pretty much it.

If the authorities decide matches should proceed. I don't think any player should be abused for demanding a higher standard of protection and refusing to play. They should be entitled to stop playing but they should not. expect to get paid. In fairness to Deeney he clearly says money is not an issue, so it seems like he won't be refusing to play while expecting to get paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Liverpool's success has been based on the midfield 3 covering for the full backs and wingers basically on all out attack. It's what's solidified their defence and turned them from 3/4th best in the league to by far the best.

City are different in that they have their full backs covering in defence for basically having 2 attacking midfielders in their midfield 3. If Liverpool plan on replicating that with Havertz in there they'll have trouble with teams playing through them again imo.

All what it's at the moment though I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The way he said that was a bit strange - "It's nothing to do with financial gain" - guess what he meant to say was that he's not going in regardless of the financial cost that will come his way?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jordan Ibe is not going to play if the season restarts. His contract with Bournemouth is no more and won't be renewed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement