Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

Doesn't really matter a huge amount where the games are for some teams. Could be the difference for teams fighting it out for european spots/relegation though.

The main thing is, football is back. Grounds are secondary in terms of importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Rock77 wrote: »

With 4 kick off times on a Saturday for example is that just to spread the games out through the day? As in if all games kicked off at 3pm the same amount of fixtures would be played that day...

this way everyone gets to watch all the matches, seeing as how no one can go to them and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Amazon are winners here as they had already shown there contracted games now they get more games to show.

I think most enjoyed Amazons coverage even with the delays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

py2006 wrote: »
    Can I ask a silly question?

Does this mean the start of the next season will be delayed?

Who knows i think the main focus was to get this current season finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Even if I wasn't a Liverpool supporter, I'd be delighted to hear the PL is returning. I am looking forward to things returning to normal....I don't know if they will ever be normal again but I hope they will someday.

• Advertisement

Probably. Although, the usual summer break and pre-season will be canned, and have a shorter break between end of this one and start of next season. Then maybe a winter break. All depending on how Covid situation pans out too obviously. All imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

It's a strange decision if true, Liverpool and United are by far and away the two biggest clubs in the UK, both surely have supporters all over the country.

One of those sets of fans wont be winning a league though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Speak Now wrote: »

True that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Just on the Fans turning up to grounds thing. I saw a statement last week from every German Ultras group refusing to go to grounds as they believed it was more important for the national health than to play matches! Most of them wanted games off! Personally I'd prefer games to go ahead .

It won’t matter who is playing in the games on the BBC they will get record viewing numbers for premier League football since it moved behind the paywall all those years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

skysports-graphic-league-positions_4983741.jpg

sky love this sort of thing! make of it what you will.

biggest movements suggested are:

utd and chelsea swapping positions. may not matter really pending city's CAS appeal.

spurs and sheffield utd. would spurs prefer a season out of europe? again, may not matter because of naughty city. presume that takes into account SU's game in hand vs villa.

newcastle and southampton switching

actually, its really a pile of codswallop the further down that i go. end of season (and this season in particular) is always massively unpredictable.

4 things seem guaranteed.

1 liverpool
    2 city
    3 leicester (i'd be weary of that one)
    20 norwich

any word on the FA cup and euro qualification? presume that will be based on the league this season

and apologies for the size of that image!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

wasn't there a report a few days ago about the season starting September 12th. Don't know if it is official, but I think that is the aim.

Would guess it would be with an aim of finishing this season early August, two week break and then back into training for September 12th start.

How EL or CL (or FA Cup would fit into all this is beyond me... I think Uefa want to finish in August)

Is there a need for much of a break?A week or 2 tops then straight back to matches imo.

By June 17th theyll have played no matches for over 3 months. Theres no pre season so the last 9 games is effectively that.

Leicester were on a really bad run when football stopped the break may of helped them out there.

Is there a need for much of a break?A week or 2 tops then straight back to matches imo.

By June 17th theyll have played no matches for over 3 months. Theres no pre season so the last 9 games is effectively that.

its with the euros next summer they wont get a break then.

they have ~3 weeks to get back in shape for 9 games (plus there will be a few friendlies, against lower league/u21/reserve). then a few weeks break in time for next season.

the less time they have off after this season, the less time they need to get back to fitness for next season! physically that is - unless they do the absolute dog on it :pac:

mentally, some players will be drained. but i'm like that till wednesday of every week!

Leicester were on a really bad run when football stopped the break may of helped them out there.

Watford v Leicester City
    Leicester City v Brighton
    Everton v Leicester City
    Leicester City v Crystal Palace
    Arsenal v Leicester City
    A.F.C. Bournemouth v Leicester City
    Leicester City v Sheffield United
    Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City
    Leicester City v Manchester United

that's their last 9 games.

in their last 5 games played, 1 win, 2D, 2L. did come up against city, chelsea and wolves.

utd had good momentum, but i think that is all gone now. nearly a clean slate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I do wonder will the VFI and other lobby groups put pressure on the government to allow pubs to open earlier than planned?

Surely a Premier League game, particularly a "Super Sunday" featuring one of the top teams, is one of their best money-spinners? Definitely brings in foot-fall that you wouldn't see in off-season anyway- like for example the early Saturday kick-off. Given what they have lost so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they chanced their arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I do wonder will the VFI and other lobby groups put pressure on the government to allow pubs to open earlier than planned?

Surely a Premier League game, particularly a "Super Sunday" featuring one of the top teams, is one of their best money-spinners? Definitely brings in foot-fall that you wouldn't see in off-season anyway- like for example the early Saturday kick-off. Given what they have lost so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they chanced their arm.

I think that is why they are putting games FTA the pubs will be staying closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Wasn't the whole point of putting the games on free to air was that that it would discourage people gathering in pubs?

of course they will need a break.
    Can't expect them to go from June this year, through the end of this season, finish out the EL/CL, into next season plus all the International games, followed by the Euros.

Though I can see players involved in the EL or CL not getting that break, and going straight into pre-season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

People will give you lots of answers but the truth is we just don't know yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Speak Now wrote: »

They will have to make do with the 20 they have........

Can't expect them to go from June this year, through the end of this season, finish out the EL/CL, into next season plus all the International games, followed by the Euros.

Though I can see players involved in the EL or CL not getting that break, and going straight into pre-season.

of course you can. everyone else (teachers excepted) does the same thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

They will have to make do with the 20 they have........

All they have now is their history :)

of course you can. everyone else (teachers excepted) does the same thing!

So they should just finish next season in two months. Play a match every day. Everyone else does their job every day.

Theyre coming off a 3 month break. Theres no pre season this year, just the 9 games left to play. So they have had more of a break than normal.

The later you start the season, the more theyll have to be compressed in to the time allowed, theres no time for movement with the euros on . The euros will involve a lot less of the players than the amount playing for clubs. For most its only going to be about 4 games anyway.

Theyre coming off a 3 month break. Theres no pre season this year, just the 9 games left to play. So they have had more of a break than normal.

The later you start the season, the more theyll have to be compressed in to the time allowed, theres no time for movement with the euros on . The euros will involve a lot less of the players than the amount playing for clubs. For most its only going to be about 4 games anyway.

But they are already talking about mid September. So if the season finishes up early August you have 4 to 6 weeks for a break and preseason. If Uefa commitments don't take up some.

Pre season is for getting fit for the season, theyre back training now and will be playing proper matches during the time they would have been playing friendlies in america, the middle east, asia or australia to spread the brand and make money . So if the stop just to have another pre season for that bull**** it shouldnt been seen as anything other than the cynical cash grab it is.

All itll serve to do is flog the players more who then have to fit the season in to a time frame a month or 2 shorter than normal.

I think it'll be a very short break between seasons. No need for a long one this year. They can have an extended mid season break instead.

• Advertisement

All going well and the season finishes as planned I can see them having a 5 week break before the start of next season.

They may have a full winters break (2/3 weeks) this time if travel around the world resumes to let the International players go home to visit family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Can’t find any info on what Amazon prime will be covering.

What’s the gist of it? A token 4 games like BBC got or a much bigger selection?

Sky have 64 of the 92 games with 25 of them being aired free to air.

BBC have 4.

So that would leave BT and Amazon with 24 games between them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/28/premier-league-restart-june-details-manchester-city-arsenal-aston-villa-sheffield-united

All going well and the season finishes as planned I can see them having a 5 week break before the start of next season.

They may have a full winters break (2/3 weeks) this time if travel around the world resumes to let the International players go home to visit family.

Where are these extra 7 or 8 weeks going to come from to fit the games in?

Where are these extra 7 or 8 weeks going to come from to fit the games in?

No International game weeks till next year at the earliest.

No International game weeks till next year at the earliest.

How much does that account for though? 2 weeks maybe in the first half of the season?

Theres already much moaning every year about fixture congestion.

• Advertisement

So they should just finish next season in two months. Play a match every day. Everyone else does their job every day.

not exactly. this season finished mid july i think? 2 weeks break, back in august for a full season. have + 1 month or whatever works.

How much does that account for though? 2 weeks maybe in the first half of the season?

Ok everything will go back to normal then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Nations League double headers scheduled for September, October and November and World Cup qualifiers in March I think. Euros playoffs still to be played too.

Now they may all be rescheduled or even cancelled in the case of the Nations League but that won’t be to accommodate domestic seasons.

I think UEFA are due to make an announcement on it next month.

Probably a decent chance Covid will interrupt next season, so a 38 game season could be a long shot.

Pre season is for getting fit for the season, theyre back training now and will be playing proper matches during the time they would have been playing friendlies in america, the middle east, asia or australia to spread the brand and make money . So if the stop just to have another pre season for that bull**** it shouldnt been seen as anything other than the cynical cash grab it is.

All itll serve to do is flog the players more who then have to fit the season in to a time frame a month or 2 shorter than normal.

the players will be fine!

but yeah, take $ outta the equation, I think the league would have been declared on a PPG basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sky have 64 of the 92 games with 25 of them being aired free to air.

BBC have 4.

So that would leave BT and Amazon with 24 games between them.

I've read elsewhere that its...
    BT - 20 games (8 they had anyway + an extra 12. No news yet on whether any of these are fta)
    Amazon - 4 games.

I've read elsewhere that its...
    BT - 20 games (8 they had anyway + an extra 12. No news yet on whether any of these are fta)
    Amazon - 4 games.

per sky:

64 live games on Sky Sports from provisional restart date of June 17

25 games to be made freely (presume that is all BBC?)
    available(https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11996210/sky-sports-to-show-64-live-premier-league-games-with-25-free-to-air)

that leaves 3 up for grabs if my calculations are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

per sky:

available(https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11996210/sky-sports-to-show-64-live-premier-league-games-with-25-free-to-air)

BBC get four games. The 25 FTA Sky games will be on Pick - Channel 133 if you’re on Virgin.

per sky:

No, thats wrong (the link is dead now)

BT are the next biggest rights holders after Sky. BBC get 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Ah lads this season is just back no need to talk about next season yet

No, thats wrong (the link is dead now)

BT are the next biggest rights holders after Sky. BBC get 4 games.

did sky **** that up?

aside from carragher and neville (who can be employed anywhere and have great charisma and banter together), i wouldn't watch sky that much. (as in, if the rights went someplace else, i wouldn't shed a tear, obe the 2 boys went)

i'd love if amazon came in and smashed them!

like who is sick of their deadline day crap?

Ah lads this season is just back no need to talk about next season yet

in about 4.5 weeks clubs can start buying players for next season.

imagine if (if) liverpool finished the season with no VVD or mane, and utd finished with sancho. christ, bournemouth could finish the season -8 1st teamers! its all to play for!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Collie D wrote: »
    BBC get four games. The 25 FTA Sky games will be on Pick - Channel 133 if you’re on Virgin.

Does FTA with Sky actually mean FTA - they are normally on some Sky non sport channel, but not actually Free To Air.

The 25 Fta games refers to SKY and are part of their overall package of 64.

So 39 of their games will be encrypted.

The remaining 28 games are BBC four games and the rest BT & Amazon.

I was kind of hoping Amazon might be showing loads of games that might also be on tv because they’re the streaming partner. Doubt it though.

Does FTA with Sky actually mean FTA - they are normally on some Sky non sport channel, but not actually Free To Air.

Ye Pick is definitely FTA. Like Sky news would be on a sky box.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement