Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

1195196197198199201»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The players celebrations will be broadcast on television, you can stand outside the ground with a load of strangers and get moved on by the old bill if it's your thing :D I cant see it being an issue, maybe car horns and fellas holding flags out the window a la Italia 90 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It's a county where the Prime Minister decided to knowingly shake the hands of people with COVID-19, and then give backing to his advisor who drove over 250miles (days after he drove 50miles on the road to "test his eyes" as he was having issues seeing clearly) while proclaiming "Stay at Home".

People should stay away from the stadium, esp with the extra hit the city had with COVID-19, but with those at the top setting a terrible example, it's gonna filter down.

It's a county where the Prime Minister decided to knowingly shake the hands of people with COVID-19, and then give backing to his advisor who drove over 250miles (days after he drove 50miles on the road to "test his eyes" as he was having issues seeing clearly) while proclaiming "Stay at Home".

People should stay away from the stadium, esp with the extra hit the city had with COVID-19, but with those at the top setting a terrible example, it's gonna filter down.

Boris said to move on from Cummings. It's grand. Nothing to see here!

6 wrote: »
    Boris said to move on from Cummings. It's grand. Nothing to see here!
    Well, guess everyone should move on so ..... :pac:

Well, guess everyone should move on so ..... :pac:

With not taking it seriously, to then full lockdown, to then mixed messages, it must be confusing to Brits what to believe. Then they watch the government senior aide break the law without consequence.

Herd immunity approach in disguise.

With not taking it seriously, to then full lockdown, to then mixed messages, it must be confusing to Brits what to believe. Then they watch the government senior aide break the law without consequence...

They're lucky they don't have our lot, from the current Taoiseach picnicking in the park to the next one sauntering up and down to his West Cork holiday home!

They're lucky they don't have our lot, from the current Taoiseach picnicking in the park to the next one sauntering up and down to his West Cork holiday home!

No fan of Leo but thought that was blown out of proportion tbh.

No fan of Leo but thought that was blown out of proportion tbh.

None of it was crime of the century, our leader drinking beer in the park, Martin caught on his hols in West Cork, some UK advisor driving his kid around...it's just a long long way from the leadership shown in other countries like NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Comparing what Cummings did and what Leo did makes absolutely no sense.

The same way comparing people going to beaches is allowed but mass gatherings outside a stadium aren't.

Chalk and Cheese.

Comparing what Cummings did and what Leo did makes absolutely no sense.

Well both were allowed, one by the meeting 4 people outside exemption and the other by the exceptional circumstances exemption.

But I think as between drinking beer with friends in a park or driving a kid to be minded by family, one of those certainly has less merit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Corholio wrote: »
    If you turn up in massive numbers outside grounds when you are told to stay away then you are idiotic, simple as that. The same for anyone packing beaches or parks close together. I don't get the need to make excuses for football fans just because it's a title winning situation or otherwise, I also don't believe it's any form of persecution either, there are idiots in parks etc but football fans outside a ground will be less socially distancing than those places, it's ignorant to think otherwise. Life is very different now and it's above winning or losing anything in sport. Is it to make themselves 'better' fans than others or something? Get the photo on social media etc.

Nobody has turned up outside a ground yet. Im just saying the people that do are probably the same type of people that are going to packed beaches. Also if people keep their distance are under 60 , have no underlying health conditions and dont live with a vulnerable person I dont really see the problem. This virus is targeting a certain type of person they need to be kept safe and the people living with them need to take extra precautions.If your 70 and you go outside anfield and start hugging random strangers because liverpool won the league, or if you live with eldery parents or if you have a kid with an underlying condition and you do the same thing you need your head examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well both were allowed, one by the meeting 4 people outside exemption and the other by the exceptional circumstances exemption.

But I think as between drinking beer with friends in a park or driving a kid to be minded by family, one of those certainly has less merit.

Those exceptional circumstances were utter crap. Then the other times he blatantly broke it (while endangering lives at the same time if the ludicrous testing eyesight excuse is to be believed).

Wouldnt be surprised to see places more and more packed in the UK now as a result of it, including outside/near stadiums if a title is about to be won. Wouldnt even blame them at this rate, even if the consequences may end up devastating for people

Leo (who I'm not a fan of) being compared to what Cummings did? Cummings, admitted that he had bad eyesight, so decided the best thing to do, before driving 250+ miles, was to drive 50miles with bad eyesight. Cummings "exceptional circumstances" was BS and a massive kick in the teeth for those working on the front lines, and those who had to watch their family members funerals via their tablet/phone rather use the "exceptional circumstances" excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Leo (who I'm not a fan of) being compared to what Cummings did? Cummings, admitted that he had bad eyesight, so decided the best thing to do, before driving 250+ miles, was to drive 50miles with bad eyesight. Cummings "exceptional circumstances" was BS and a massive kick in the teeth for those working on the front lines, and those who had to watch their family members funerals via their tablet/phone rather use the "exceptional circumstances" excuse.

think you posted in wrong thread...

Varadkar is the leader of this country. And he showed his leadership by drinking beer in a field with friends during a lockdown. While people here "watched their family members funerals via their tablet/phone".

Ultimately, that's far more relevant to me than whether some advisor to a foreign Government driving his kid around was an exceptional circumstance or not.

Though both are trotting behind the leader of our biggest party swanning to and from his holiday home. Which, unlike Cummings or Varadkar, was inarguably a breach of the lockdown...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Varadkar is the leader of this country. And he showed his leadership by drinking beer in a field with friends during a lockdown. While people here "watched their family members funerals via their tablet/phone".

Ultimately, that's far more relevant to me than whether some advisor to a foreign Government driving his kid around was an exceptional circumstance or not.

Though both are trotting behind the leader of our biggest party swanning to and from his holiday home. Which, unlike Cummings or Varadkar, was inarguably a breach of the lockdown...

Sorry, I'm lost.... Who is this great leader Varadker? Is he signing for Man City or Newcastle in the EPL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Actually had a look at the league table for the first time in months, barely recognized where it was at when it stopped.

Gotta be honest, I think Liverpool are going to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭FluffPiece

Drumpot wrote: »
    Actually had a look at the league table for the first time in months, barely recognized where it was at when it stopped.

Sorry but now that the league is being resumed, we are going back to saying it's not won yet and we're not counting our chickens.

We'd appreciate if all the rival fans played along and tell us it's over already etc and just enjoy it. The usual shíte basically, cheers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

If anything the last 2 months has thought us is , its definitely not won yet :D

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »

They should.

And if Leeds win the second tier, it's like 89/90 all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

FluffPiece wrote: »
    Sorry but now that the league is being resumed, we are going back to saying it's not won yet and we're not counting our chickens.

We'd appreciate if all the rival fans played along and tell us it's over already etc and just enjoy it. The usual shíte basically, cheers...

Rumor has it City are still favourites to some :pac:

Don't think the break away from football effected me to much but it'll be nice to have back. I tend to go to the pub to watch a game or two but will settle for a dual monitor setup instead now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Varadkar is the leader of this country. And he showed his leadership by drinking beer in a field with friends during a lockdown.

Did he?

I saw some rubbish pick from a bad phone camera that claimed it was him. And then nothing.

Got to think if it was him, it would have been the biggest story. But it was a couple of threads on social media.

Not even a flame war thread on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Did he?

I saw some rubbish pick from a bad phone camera that claimed it was him. And then nothing.

Got to think if it was him, it would have been the biggest story. But it was a couple of threads on social media.

Not even a flame war thread on boards.ie.

But also if it was him, i'm not sure that he actually did anything wrong? Was outside in the allowed group of 4 with his partner and 2 friends, within the allowed 5km radius... or is he not allowed to do the same stuff the rest of us are all allowed to do?

Perhaps a bad idea for him to literally do anything ever, but at the same time, he is a human being like the rest of us, and it's an awfully long time to not do any of these basic social interactions, when they're actually allowed within guidelines now. (I'm far from a big Leo fan incidentally, but I'd find it hard to get too het up about this...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Are all these people that are going to turn up outside the stadium going to be jumping around in large groups celebrating and hugging strangers. Or are they just going to be standing there with a reasonable distance apart much like the beaches or parks that are busy.

Most likely gonna be the first one if you win your first league in decades right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    he is a human being like the rest of us

Gonna defo need you to provide a source on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement