Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That would have been a free outside the box, inside the box not a pen. Everton rightly annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

gimli2112 wrote: »
    the quality of journalism has tanked in the last few years. I could do it myself if I could do the english gooder.

Proper journalists are abandoning newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

The wheels are really coming off at Burnley. In a relegation battle now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very well taken goal puts Everton deservedly ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Boards are the real geniuses... Making money from people talking about clickbait!

Just out of curiosity, how much do you think boards make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Quazzie wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how much do you think boards make?

three fiddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Burnley are in so much bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

TheCitizen wrote: »
    They've made a pigs ear out of the introduction of VAR in England is the problem and now you have a character like Rice saying all the players want it gone. He should be put in his place. VAR is a brilliant tool and they need to use it properly and get used to it and stop moaning and bitching about it.
    I like VAR, and it gets it's decisions right far more often than a ref who has to see a incident once.

But what's we've seen in the PL, is unfortunately the same stuff we'll always seen, finger pointing away from the players/managers. Rice is a prime example.

"It's VARs fault, not mine, not the manager, just VAR". It was "the ref", "the linesman", "the other player", "the other manager"........ now "it's VAR".

And why do they do it? Cause there are plenty idiotic fans out there who will believe it and point away from any fault in their own team. Blame deflection.

Rice and West Ham aren't hovering over the relegation zone cause of VAR....maybe a better return than just 1 assist and 0 goals from Rice after 21 games should be something that he should fume about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What a miss from Williams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Danny Ings is on fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Danny Ings is on fire!

Might have to use the Will Griggs chant at this stage.

It's been some turnaround for Southampton in fairness.

Wasn't the reverse fixture 9-0 to Leicester?

It's been some turnaround for Southampton in fairness.

Wasn't the reverse fixture 9-0 to Leicester?
    It was. Reckon the away fans were singing today!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Delighted for Southampton. Leicester( vardy and Maddison in particular) going way overboard celebrating the 9th goal that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Jesus, just saw the arsenal red, how did it take 2.5 mins for VAR to come to the conclusion it was a red? You could tell immediately from the first close view.

Asides from this I hope they fix up VAR or how it’s used, there is so many annoying aspects of it. They need to change some rules like offside because this quantum margins is bullsh*t. Unless it’s clear and obvious advantage to forward. You will not get rid of all subjective moments in football so let’s not pretend it’s all about perfection.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »

Asides from this I hope they fix up VAR or how it’s used, there is so many annoying aspects of it. They need to change some rules like offside because this quantum margins is bullsh*t. Unless it’s clear and obvious advantage to forward. You will not get rid of all subjective moments in football so let’s not pretend it’s all about perfection.

Totally agree.

Disallowing goals due to a toenail or an earlobe beyond the last defender is utter nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Liverpool are going to do some damage to spurs here, first attack and they should have scored easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Spurs creating a few chances

Totally agree.

Disallowing goals due to a toenail or an earlobe beyond the last defender is utter nonsense.
    It is nonsense, esp as that hasn't happened :P
    And the answer is? VAR is only implementing the offside law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Delighted for Southampton. Leicester( vardy and Maddison in particular) going way overboard celebrating the 9th goal that night.

totally agree
    they'll wake up happy tomorrow and fair play to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Say what you want about Andy Gray but at least he brought some colour to the co commentary role. Sky has not been able to find again since they sacked him.

Tyler just so monotone except for Man U games and all his colour commentary partners, Neville, Carra, Smith whoever are just as boring and monotone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Say what you want about Andy Gray but at least he brought some colour to the co commentary role. Sky has not been able to find again since they sacked him.

Tyler just so monotone except for Man U games and all his colour commentary partners, Neville, Carra, Smith however are just as boring and monotone.

I liked Gray, he was wonderful at the outset but somewhere along the way he became tired and tiresome. And then kind of icky. He could probably come back now, Keys not so much.

Fun BBBBBBOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYY

Lovely touch to take it around the new fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Tyler just so monotone except for Man U games

tenor.gif?itemid=13613808

Won 10-2 on aggregate and still only got the same points as Southampton:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Im a big fan of Peter Drury as lead commentator. Just think he's a very engaging speaker.

I think every fan thinks every commentator is biased against their club. Just like everyone thinks the ref is against them.

I think sky can sound very flat no matter who is on commentary lately. They all seem to be trained to do the exact same thing, which isn't a surprise, but it can sound monotonous.

Leicester are losing that 2nd spot tomorrow and they arent going to get it back.

They could very well end up struggling to keep 3rd imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Leicester are losing that 2nd spot tomorrow and they arent going to get it back.

They could very well end up struggling to keep 3rd imo.

I agree. They're shíte and just happened to have their season highlight at an interesting time of the season. Would be surprised to see them drop right down now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Absolutely!! Just going to post this. Leicester went really OTT they night, couldn't humiliate Southampton enough, celebrating goals 8&9 like it was a European Cup final, proclaiming their greatness by acting the Flat Track Bully when they got a Southampton side on their heels. Like City trouncing was it Norwich by 8, acting the boll1x IMHO.

Delighted for Southampton. Danny Ings does it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Burnley are in so much bother.

Brighton nearly as much IMO. Surprised they're as long as 10/1 to go down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Brighton nearly as much IMO. Surprised they're as long as 10/1 to go down

Brighton look more progressive on the pitch than they did a year ago so they seem to be getting a pass. Not sure the results are any better.

Burnley are shocking. A shadow of what you'd associate with them. Soft goals, no organisation, etc.

They're both very lucky that Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth are there because those three look absolutely abysmal at the moment.

I'd like expect West Ham to move up though so if any of the bottom three get their act together, it's Burnley or Brighton going down.

Klopp is going to pull the head off someone

Spurs player got up fair quick there once he saw they had the ball :D

This is it wrote: »
    Spurs player got up fair quick there once he saw they had the ball :D

Grazed his leg, went down like a dead man, shot up when Liverpool were on the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Spurs unable to finish any of these chances. Wonder what they're missing today:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

61 points....that's just ridiculous after 21 games

Great result. Fairly comfortable.

Mourinho looks more like yesterday's man every day time I see him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

6 wrote: »

He has become much more conservative, cowardly in his tactics today. Won't last 18 months at Spurs, they'll be booing his tactics by the end of the season.

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Throw the blanket over the game, suffocate the life out of it for 75 minutes and try to win it in last 15. It’s horrendous tactics. We should’ve been 3 up before then but for poor finishing.

eigrod wrote: »
    Throw the blanket over the game, suffocate the life out of it for 75 minutes and try to win it in last 15. It’s horrendous tactics. We should’ve been 3 up before then but for poor finishing.

Doubt he'll even make it to the usual 3rd year meltdown. Two years max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Taking selfies at half time when his team is losing. Imagine the meltdown if ole did that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

bangkok wrote: »
    Taking selfies at half time when his team is losing. Imagine the meltdown if ole did that :)

At least he wasnt smiling while losing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mushy wrote: »
    61 points....that's just ridiculous after 21 games

Liverpool have 88pts from the last 90 available in the Premier League

This is possibly the best football team I've ever seen, international or club level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

8-10 wrote: »
    Liverpool have 88pts from the last 90 available in the Premier League

This is possibly the best football team I've ever seen, international or club level

And yet when I watch them I dont think that.

Unbelievable consistency and hard to argue with the results but probably not in the top 5 footballing teams I have ever watched. Then again, I am United and biased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

And yet when I watch them I dont think that.

Unbelievable consistency and hard to argue with the results but probably not in the top 5 footballing teams I have ever watched. Then again, I am United and biased.

You're basing it on the pleasure to watch as opposed to the points.

To be honest this Liverpool team doesn't come near the Barca team in their prime(Not yet anyway) those Spanish players then went on to win all trophies internationally.

There is an argument for greatest ever English team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Up until now, for me the Top 3 are:

1. van Gaal's Ajax
    2. Mourinho's Chelsea
    3. Pep's Barça

I'm biased too but just on this run alone I think this team is firmly in the mix with the above. And in the last 12 months, it's hard not to be impressed with this team just as much or even more than the above.

104 points from the last 38, unbeaten in that time. This is remarkable for a club who haven't won a league in decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The same people were saying City were the greatest team 6 months ago

Yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Southampton on some form at the minute.

Another cracking win for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Fcuk Spurs
    Fcuk Jose
    Fcuk VAR

Liverpool champions of the world , Europe & soon to be premier league

Oh yeah and fcuk the unbearables :)