Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The same people were saying City were the greatest team 6 months ago

Yawn

Yep sorry that City team is also up there.

But the context here is that City have been a deadly team winning multiple leagues in the past decade.

What's impressive about this Liverpool team is that they came from nowhere. Nothing but a league cup in a decade, no league in 30 years and still buying players like Wijnaldum, Robertson and Shaqiri from relegated teams, a failed Chelsea winger in Salah and half of a Southampton team and turned them into this.

Remarkable

The same people were saying City were the greatest team 6 months ago

Yawn Ynwa

Fyp :)

Southampton on some form at the minute.

Another cracking win for them

Danny. Danny Ings.
    Danny. Danny Ings.

Secret weapon for us today. I'm very glad Southampton didn't sack Hassenhutl after the 9-0 game. Great revenge for him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

8-10 wrote: »
    Yep sorry that City team is also up there.

But the context here is that City have been a deadly team winning multiple leagues in the past decade.

What's impressive about this Liverpool team is that they came from nowhere. Nothing but a league cup in a decade, no league in 30 years and still buying players like Wijnaldum, Robertson and Shaqiri from relegated teams, a failed Chelsea winger in Salah and half of a Southampton team and turned them into this.

Remarkable

They came from nowhere? They've been building towards this under Klopp and with Rodgers before that for years?

Remarkable comment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Up until now, for me the Top 3 are:

1. van Gaal's Ajax
    2. Mourinho's Chelsea
    3. Pep's Barça

I'm biased too but just on this run alone I think this team is firmly in the mix with the above. And in the last 12 months, it's hard not to be impressed with this team just as much or even more than the above.

104 points from the last 38, unbeaten in that time. This is remarkable for a club who haven't won a league in decades.

Being talked about in the same vein as those teams is enough.

Best ever start after 21 games in the history of the top 5 leagues.

This team is far from done.

At times they are mesmerising.

At times, simply a machine.

Records are there to be broken and this Liverpool team are doing just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Now that was some real Jack Charlton long ball tactics from Jose today.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    They came from nowhere? They've been building towards this under Klopp and with Rodgers before that for years?

Remarkable comment

Are you not hugely impressed by what they're doing right now?

Maybe you saw this happening back in 2015 but this far exceeds my wildest dreams and that's as a fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

How dare Jose not go out and play front foot pressing football against Liverpool, like Poch did when they lost to Pool in October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

1. van Gaal's Ajax
    2. Mourinho's Chelsea
    3. Pep's Barça

I'm biased too but just on this run alone I think this team is firmly in the mix with the above. And in the last 12 months, it's hard not to be impressed with this team just as much or even more than the above.

104 points from the last 38, unbeaten in that time. This is remarkable for a club who haven't won a league in decades.

Not having any of Fergie's 3peat teams or Treble winners in there is a major oversight as well.

That Ajax team is also overrated imo. Good team with some players that went on to be amazing but they would be beaten the majority of the time by lots of the best ever teams, even by the Milan team they beat in the final.

Best team ever for me was Barca 08-11 tho. I didnt actually enjoy their style but when I look back at some of the best teams ever, Pep's team would just pass them off the park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

How dare Jose not go out and play front foot pressing football against Liverpool, like Poch did when they lost to Pool in October

True. He's dead right. All the Spurs fans that pay good money to watch their team at home came to see that type of performance.

Same result though, funny that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Peps Barca are easily the best team I've ever seen.

That Ajax team is also overrated imo. Good team with some players that went on to be amazing but they would be beaten the majority of the time by lots of the best ever teams, even by the Milan team they beat in the final.

Unbeaten in the league and Champions League for an entire season.

Nobody does that, not Pep, not Fergie, not Mou, nobody. I don't think it'll ever be done again.

A cup game after extra time is the only loss that year. Nobody beat them in 90 minutes for an entire year. Again, nobody does that.

That's why they're number 1 for me, you're entitled to call that overrated but I'm comparing teams that just look unbeatable.

Again to another posters point it's probably just personal choice when it comes to these ridiculous teams and we all have our own biases (I clearly have mine and I think secretly some posters here have theirs) so it's remarkable for this Liverpool side to even be discussed in the same breath as those sides.

The key difference is this Liverpool team havent won a league title. Still many months left to go and I think from about this point last year City didn't drop any points until the end of the season so it's going to be a fascinating run in.

Please don't take this as me being overly confident as I'm really not. I'm simply pausing for a moment, looking at the run this team are currently on, looking at where they were just a few years ago, and recognising that what they've achieved in the past 12 months is remarkable.

A joy to watch this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

1. van Gaal's Ajax
    2. Mourinho's Chelsea
    3. Pep's Barça

Mourinho's Chelsea were good but never won the CL. I would add to the list Manchester United's treble winning side and the great 90s Milan team under Capello.

Ardent wrote: »
    Mourinho's Chelsea were good but never won the CL. I would add to the list Manchester United's treble winning side and the great 90s Milan team under Capello.

Yeah I separate trophies from it. I just meant sheer brutality of not looking like losing games. Pep's City should be there too but that Chelsea side were amazing...86 unbeaten at home I think?

I never watched that Milan team in the league, only saw the odd European game. Great team but no first hand experience

Peps Barca are easily the best team I've ever seen.

Hard to disagree.

Best English team is the current Liverpool team but they need a title or 2 to claim it officially. Another year of dominating the league and it would be hard to argue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

1. van Gaal's Ajax
    2. Mourinho's Chelsea
    3. Pep's Barça

fergies utd 99 and 08/09 teams surely have to be in there somewhere.?

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Hard to disagree.

Best English team is the current Liverpool team but they need a title or 2 to claim it officially. Another year of dominating the league and it would be hard to argue.

This is crazy recency bias but sure have at it lads.

Hard to disagree.

they havent even won 1 league title yet. utd have won 3 in a row twice and won 5 in 6 years, until liverpool have won multiple leagues then imo they cant be considered one of the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hard to disagree.

Lol

Yawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Are you not hugely impressed by what they're doing right now?

Maybe you saw this happening back in 2015 but this far exceeds my wildest dreams and that's as a fan!
    That doesn't mean they came from nowhere as you said. They won the CL last season. Got to the final the year before. Got very close to the English league before that. Nonsensical comment but I suppose you got the attention you were after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Lol

~~Yawn~~ Ynwa

Fixed your post

Yawn
    Lol

Yawn

Go to bed if you are that tired fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

bangkok wrote: »
    they havent even won 1 league title yet. utd have won 3 in a row twice and won 5 in 6 years, until liverpool have won multiple leagues then imo they cant be considered one of the best

They'll likely win this year. Just because they haven't won multiple doesn't mean they're not better than X team. What points did United win by?
    It just means the competition got a lot better. I don't have the stats at hand but Liverpool would have won the league last year multiple times probably alll barring City...

Winning 3 in a row is great, doesn't mean another team can't be better despite not winning as much based on competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Do you not remember that game at all?

Spurs got a crazy freaky rebound goal in minute 1 and after that Spurs were camped in their own half for most of the game, especially 1st half where they had 75% possesion. Liverpool had all the ball that day and relentless pressure. I don't remember Spurs having any decent chance after the 1st minute, but they defo were camped in their own box for large spells of the game.

Today at around 70 mins I was even thinking that the two games were similar in terms of Liverpool have all of the ball for the 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

In the Premier League era it’s clear that Fergie’s United has the best teams with individual records. Liverpool fans (like myself!) would be happy to just break the league title wait; but there’s a route for them to do the PL/FA/CL treble and match the 99 United season, or actually exceed it by doing the CL back to back and winning the world club cup.

This Pool team under Klopp has a ways to go to cement themselves in the all time greats, but with their form and the tenure of contracts and all the rest you can clearly see a route for them. But yeah, they’re not yet in the hallowed ranks of teams that had accomplishments over several seasons.

• Advertisement

Maybe read all of the post. A title or 2 is needed, like I said.
    Despite that, back to back Euro finals, winning one, last year's league record 2nd place haul of points, the current run and record breaking achievenents etc has them up there already, but as mentioned, the league is necessary, but that will come.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    In the Premier League era it’s clear that Fergie’s United has the best teams with individual records. Liverpool fans (like myself!) would be happy to just break the league title wait; but there’s a route for them to do the PL/FA/CL treble and match the 99 United season, or actually exceed it by doing the CL back to back and winning the world club cup.

This Pool team under Klopp has a ways to go to cement themselves in the all time greats, but with their form and the tenure of contracts and all the rest you can clearly see a route for them. But yeah, they’re not yet in the hallowed ranks of teams that had accomplishments over several seasons.

Agree with all of this. Teams basically run on 3 year cycles these days. The key will be for Klopp to know when to change up players etc in the next year or two when they are falling below standard. Its mad how one season a player looks immense then is a notch below for no discernible reason, not even age. Being ruthless in that regard is what will keep this ticking along.

Correct, they're not there get, the league is needed, but I do think that will come.

Also, all those teams mentioned, Utds included..... 61 points from 21 matches.
    The best start to a campaign of any team in the history of Europe's Top 5 leagues.

88 pts from the last 90 available. And this could well be extended.

But yeah......yawn away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

88 pts from the last 90 available. And this could well be extended.

Or they could be knocked off their perch next game:P

Or they could be knocked off their perch next game:P

Absolutely. They have to lose a league game eventually but hopeful,y not the next one. :mad: We are surfing high on a remarkable run.
    Long may it continue. Doesnt come around often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Unfortunately the red scouse have done a Faustian deal with the Devil. The terms as yet unclear, only the white toothed one is privy to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Do you ever get tired of posting this BS?:rolleyes: Liverpool have won 18 league titles with their 19th more or less in the bag this season. That record contains 11 league titles in 18 years including a 3 in a row from 1982 -1984.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Do you ever get tired of posting this BS?:rolleyes: Liverpool have won 18 league titles with their 19th more or less in the bag this season. That record contains 11 league titles in 18 years including a 3 in a row from 1982 -1984.

Were you not aware that English football only started in 1992?

Therefore, Liverpool FC, I'm afraid

hqdefault.jpg

To be fair, we are talking about this current pool team, not the club.

We all know liverpool have more trophies than Utd.

if i went down to Anfield now and looked in the trophy room, every trophy will be in there apart from the premier league trophy. until liverpool have won a few of them in a row, or dominated in the league over a few seasons then they cannot be considered one of the best teams.

if i went down to Anfield now and looked in the trophy room, every trophy will be in there apart from the premier league trophy. until liverpool have won a few of them in a row, or dominated in the league over a few seasons then they cannot be considered one of the best teams.

In your head maybe. Most knowledgeable supporters would not agree with you.

In your head maybe. Most knowledgeable supporters would not agree Argue with you.[/QUOfypTE]

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Agreed. Things change fast in football. Just two seasons ago when Pep's team had it won by Christmas everybody was hailing them as the best ever and likely to win the league every season for god knows how long, then Liverpool pushed them to the limit last season and overtaken them this one. I'm enjoying this for what it is, it could last for ages or be over in a a flash. Not arsed with arbitrary "best team ever" tags, I just want them to win as many pots as possible while they're are at the level they currently are.

In your head maybe. Most knowledgeable supporters would not agree Argue with you.[/QUOfypTE]

FYP
    You might want to fix your own post. You did a piss poor job of quoting mine. Anyway fine. I have my own opinion and I will leave others to theirs.

You didnt do much better:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

"Which ship has never docked in Liverpool? The Premiership hahahahahahaha" :rolleyes:

There is some amount of bitterness that Liverpool are this good currently.

I remember 2 years ago saying to everyone that would listen that Man City had the best single league season ever in England. It might change this season, it might not. But there will definitely people that will be saying something to put them down or criticise them as they didn't didn't score enough goals away from home or Arsenal won more Tuesday games than them in 98 or Man United were leading for more minutes in 2008 or something stupid along those lines.

You didnt do much better:pac:

Touche.

Speaking of bitterness, had a look at bluemoon, bloody hell those lads are deranged. Its not healthy how focused they are on Liverpool and finding a conspiracy theory to explain everything that goes against them and for Liverpool. One of them claimed Kompany wasn't supposed to score the league winner last season and that's why he had to leave in the summer and everything is going LFC's way this season :D

Bluemoon is a different level of crazy.

I think we can all agree on that.

They make RAWK seem sensible

In your head maybe. Most knowledgeable supporters would not agree with you.

The liverpool teams of late 70's early 80's was better than the current liverpool team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

The liverpool teams of late 70's early 80's was better than the current liverpool team

Based on what? Trophy's? As I said before a great team doesn't mean a team was 'greater' than them

It also has to take into reflection the other teams around them.

As an Everton fan, it hurts. But this team is ridiculous, the fact that other people disagree is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

.G. wrote: »
    Speaking of bitterness, had a look at bluemoon, bloody hell those lads are deranged. Its not healthy how focused they are on Liverpool and finding a conspiracy theory to explain everything that goes against them and for Liverpool. One of them claimed Kompany wasn't supposed to score the league winner last season and that's why he had to leave in the summer and everything is going LFC's way this season :D

LInk?

Based on what? Trophy's? As I said before a great team doesn't mean a team was 'greater' than them

It also has to take into reflection the other teams around them.

As an Everton fan, it hurts. But this team is ridiculous, the fact that other people disagree is baffling.

Of course trophies. What else would it be based on?

• Advertisement

I grew up watching them. So many outstanding players.
    I prefer the current team. And in a year or two I do believe a lot of others will too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement