Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I grew up watching them. So many outstanding players.
    I prefer the current team. And in a year or two I do believe a lot of others will too.

look, they are a fantastic team, will prob have the league won by March, but until they do it for 3,4,5 years then i dont think they can be considered one of the best sides in history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

bangkok wrote: »
    Of course trophies. What else would it be based on?

Great, can you reply to the other part of the quote.

Other wise Dimiji Traore is great CB. If you base everything on trophies that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The 87/88 team was peak Liverpool and bar Man City two years ago peak football in England. This Liverpool side could yet match it but I reckon Klopp is happy enough to play a game that is cagier, hopefully we will see something more open and free flowing if/when this tricky run is successfully navigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

6 wrote: »
    Fyp :)
    Ardent wrote: »
    Fixed your post

Watch the trolling lads. Cards here on out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

look, they are a fantastic team, will prob have the league won by March, but until they do it for 3,4,5 years then i dont think they can be considered one of the best sides in history

They are into year 3 already, back to back champion league finals, this year going well too, record points last year- 2nd, title hopefully this year, records being broken left right and centre, world club champions for the first time etc
    It isn't just about trophies imho but, yes they do of course help in backing up an opinion.

• Advertisement

Great, can you reply to the other part of the quote.

Other wise Dimiji Traore is great CB. If you base everything on trophies that is.

other teams around them...ok

one of the worst United teams in a long time and have a rookie manager, one of the worst Arsenal teams in a long time and have a manager who has taken his first ever job, a chelsea team who had a transfer ban and are nothing special with a rookie manager, a spurs team who are struggling, an Everton side who are fairly poor, man city there only real rivals currently and they have lost their best centre half for most of the season and also lost one of the best wingers in the world for the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/1216059502795071488
    thought this was bizarre.

Liverpool young team got praise one week & Ole brings it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They are into year 3 already, back to back champion league finals, this year going well too, record points last year- 2nd, title hopefully this year, records being broken left right and centre, world club champions for the first time etc
    It isn't just about trophies imho but, yes they do of course help in backing up an opinion.

Klopp has had steady progress since he joined.

1st season (15/16) - Carling Cup Final and EL Final
    2nd season (16/17) - Top 4 (first time since 14/15)
    3rd season (17/18) - CL Final
    4th season (18/19) - CL Winners and 2nd on 97 points
    5th season (19/20) - Unbeaten and looking like winning the league.

It's been a mad ride.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

one of the worst United teams in a long time and have a rookie manager, one of the worst Arsenal teams in a long time and have a manager who has taken his first ever job, a chelsea team who had a transfer ban and are nothing special with a rookie manager, a spurs team who are struggling, an Everton side who are fairly poor, man city there only real rivals currently and they have lost their best centre half for most of the season and also lost one of the best wingers in the world for the season

Oh..... in that case I'd like to change my mind, this Liverpool team are winning by default, nothing special really.

And Var of course.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

People having lots of fun tonight I see, would it be fair to say Liverpool are the bestest team in the universe?

• Advertisement

People having lots of fun tonight I see, would it be fair to say Liverpool are the bestest team in the universe?

No that was Bugs Bunny and the guys in Space Jam.

The World will do;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,920 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ings could have had a hat full he tore that defensive to bits looking at the highlights on MoTD.

He only got 5 points on FF as well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

This Liverpool team are ridiculous, only game I could see them losing would be at that Ethiad but they should break City’s points record.

I thought Salah was poor today though, has he been generally a bit below par this season?

Ings could have had a hat full he tore that defensive to bits looking at the highlights on MoTD

Southampton looked well worth the win, probably should have won by a couple more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The 87/88 team was peak Liverpool and bar Man City two years ago peak football in England. This Liverpool side could yet match it but I reckon Klopp is happy enough to play a game that is cagier, hopefully we will see something more open and free flowing if/when this tricky run is successfully navigated.

It is genuinely baffling that you wouldnt rate a treble winning side, or two teams that won 3 in a row, or 5 in 6 and 3 CL finals in 4 years etc. I know it is hard to praise United but come on like, let's live in the realms of reality.

.G. wrote: »
    They make RAWK seem sensible

I actually agree with this and that is saying something :pac:

Oh..... in that case I'd like to change my mind, this Liverpool team are winning by default, nothing special really.

And Var of course.:pac:

would you disagree with anything i said about the other rivals this year?

Johner wrote: »
    This Liverpool team are ridiculous, only game I could see them losing would be at that Ethiad but they should break City’s points record.

I thought Salah was poor today though, has he been generally a bit below par this season?

Salah has indeed been below par but when you look at his stats for goals and assists its still very good. But he also creates fear in most defences by simply being on the pitch which does create space elsewhere.

would you disagree with anything i said about the other rivals this year?

United are shíte.....we'll agree on that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

How dare Jose not go out and play front foot pressing football against Liverpool, like Poch did when they lost to Pool in October

Jose defenders are funny.
    Sheffield Utd put up a better fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If Brighton held on and got a draw against Man City on the final game of last season, it would have meant that Liverpool would have won a league & European cup double.

Does that mean that that Liverpool team were better as they won more trophies? Even though it was Brighton that made the deciding call?

Salah has indeed been below par but when you look at his stats for goals and assists its still very good. But he also creates fear in most defences by simply being on the pitch which does create space elsewhere.

Yeah, he still looks dangerous but attacks seem to break down a bit more when I’ve seen him play this season and his shooting hasn’t been as sharp. I suppose he has set very high standards though!

FitzShane wrote: »
    If Brighton held on and got a draw against Man City on the final game of last season, it would have meant that Liverpool would have won a league & European cup double.

Does that mean that that Liverpool team were better as they won more trophies? Even though it was Brighton that made the deciding call?

ah here, are we going down the "IF" road now?!

ah here, are we going down the "IF" road now?!

Well you are the one saying that teams should only be based on trophies.

If Brighton had got a draw last year on the last day, Liverpool would have won a league & European cup double. Would they be a great team then?

United are shíte.....we'll agree on that :)

so you basically agree with me that the league is poor quality wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

You could make that point about the other teams in every season anybody won a league comfortably (Liverpool 70s & 80s, Man Utd 90s & 00s, Arsenal, Chelsea, City 00s & 10s). It’s a silly point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ole just said on MOTD

When Man City put out a full side in the CC it shows how they respect us.

Incredible comment from a Man Utd manager. He sounds in awe of City & Pep at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

What about those United teams that battled with the giants of Blackburn, Villa and Newcastle?

• Advertisement

No, I'm agreeing with you that Utd are shíte.

English teams seem to be doing ok in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ole just said on MOTD

When Man City put out a full side in the CC it shows how they respect us.

Incredible comment from a Man Utd manager. He sounds in awe of City & Pep at times.

That was a bizarre interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It is genuinely baffling that you wouldnt rate a treble winning side, or two teams that won 3 in a row, or 5 in 6 and 3 CL finals in 4 years etc. I know it is hard to praise United but come on like, let's live in the realms of reality.

I was referring to the football itself I would have though that obvious by my comments about Liverpool being cagey and maybe the taps being opened later on. Utd were lovely at times :) but like most of the most machine like sides they won many a game in a grimly single-minded manner. Not with joyous, expansive style.

eigrod wrote: »
    That was a bizarre interview.

How did the Carabo cup come up in an interview after a PL game?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    How did the Carabo cup come up in an interview after a PL game?

It's Ole......who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So you must be raging that Mourinho was replaced by Ole so, yes?

• Advertisement

I'm still waiting on ;Bangkok's replied in relation to trophies and the likes.

Despite replying to others. I'm sure he's too busy switching the goalpost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Don’t wait. He’s not worth it.

I was referring to the football itself I would have though that obvious by my comments about Liverpool being cagey and maybe the taps being opened later on. Utd were lovely at times :) but like most of the most machine like sides they won many a game in a grimly single-minded manner. Not with joyous, expansive style.

Fergie's United teams played grim and joyless football. I honestly see huge parallels between Pool this last two years and a Fergie team. Many a game where they have scraped out an ugly win and periods of scintillating stuff. But yeah, it takes all sorts I guess

Don’t wait. He’s not worth it.

In terms of a debate.

He still hasn't replied to the " Plenty" of debate. United kept clean sheet. So he's probably cleaning his jocks thinking that changed the percentage to ' plenty'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

So by one posters reckoning the Premier league is sh1t. Funny that 4 premier league teams made the two finals of Europe’s premier competitions last year. But hey, if it makes you feel better, craic on. It keeps me amused on my travels reading the rankings on here. I’m a championship club supporter btw😉

• Advertisement

i have reply twice to your post. what else do you want me to answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Leicester have one point more now after 22 games than year they won league

ArielAtom wrote: »
    So by one posters reckoning the Premier league is sh1t. Funny that 4 premier league teams made the two finals of Europe’s premier competitions last year. But hey, if it makes you feel better, craic on. It keeps me amused on my travels reading the rankings on here. I’m a championship club supporter btw��

i never said it was sh1t, but the quality isnt as good as it used to be.

remember when utd had keane scholes midfield, arsenal had vieria and petit, liverpool gerrard, alonso mascherano, chelsea, lampard essien. midfield players who were much better than any of the midfielders in the league right now

i never said it was sh1t, but the quality isnt as good as it used to be.

remember when utd had keane scholes midfield, arsenal had vieria and petit, liverpool gerrard, alonso mascherano, chelsea, lampard essien. midfield players who were much better than any of the midfielders in the league right now

That doesn't relate to the post you quoted :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Rices disallowed goal was a farce of a decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Leicester have one point more now after 22 games than year they won league

Interesting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Panthro wrote: »

It wasnt at all. it was completely in line with the current handball rule.

Panthro wrote: »

In fairness he handled the ball and as per the laws of the game it was the right decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

monkey9 wrote: »
    In fairness he handled the ball and as per the laws of the game it was the right decision.

Law needs to be scrapped.

You still won't reply to me either Bangkok, it's a sure sign you're talking crap.

Hypothetically, if Brighton & Man City drew, Liverpool would have won the league in an amazing title race between 2 brilliant teams. And then a European Cup to make it a league and European cup double.

Nothing would have changed in Liverpool's performance all season long. 97 points to win a league title & a European Cup. .

But you are saying they are not great because they didn't win a trophy, but if City had drew then Liverpool would be great because they won a trophy. The very same 97 points, and a European cup. No difference in performance.

Just shows up how much crap is being typed. I'm sure you'll ignore this or move them goalposts. Dodge like any child would do. The bitterness is glowing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement