Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I didn’t say we were, but I am certainly enjoying that it’s a discussion. :)

It's not a serious one tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

If Howe loses today you have to wonder will Bournemouth pull the trigger an sack him or do they stick with him and go down hoping he can rebuild them in the Championship next summer.

Because right now they are going down as they have no form whatsoever.

Upcoming fixtures for them: Norwich Brighton and Villa. Some potentially winnable games.
    Do you gamble on getting a new manager in for those? Possibly.

But my guess is they'll stick with Howe. It's only a few weeks since they won at Stamford Bridge.
    And they had a lot of injuries over the last month.

• That’s just embarrassing bias from a United fan.

If Liverpool were to continue their form for the rest of the season, some United fans would still have an excuse. Current Liverpool team would wipe the floor with that Leicester team. Not a word about how poor the standard was that season.

In fairness one could say the standard beyond Liverpool this season is also poor

Chelsea, United, Spurs, Arsenal for arguments sake all having poor seasons and in transitional periods with little to no consistency in their form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Begovic 4th choice at Bournemouth just finished a loan in Azerbaijan with Qarabag is now set to go to Milan to replace Reina as Donnarumma's back up.

WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

In fairness one could say the standard beyond Liverpool this season is also poor

Chelsea, United, Spurs, Arsenal for arguments sake all having poor seasons and in transitional periods with little to no consistency in their form

If they were and are both poor then why weren’t Leicester winning 20 from 21? Also all 4 English sides have made in into the CL knockout stage this year? Plus 3 in the Europa League? Yeah that sounds like awful quality. But no, let’s not put our bias aside and give this Liverpool team the credit they deserve.

I’m also waiting for a response from bangkok on the great Villa, Blackburn and Newcastle sides that United had to do battle with over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Be another great result for Watford if they hung on here.

Themselves and Southampton have found their form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Current Liverpool team would wipe the floor with that Leicester team. Not a word about how poor the standard was that season.

Yes Liverpool team far superior to them. And would have a possible record points tally too that season. But it was said at the time the standard was awful that season. Arsenal & Spurs completely capitulated and the rest of the big boys we’re in transition.

In my view this lower standard argument currently is very valid. It doesn’t make Liverpool an inferior side and they are definitely in the mix when talking about best PL sides and would go toe to toe with any of them.

There was a stat after 20 games last season where the bottom 6 at the time had accumatively not picked up a single point versus the top 6 at the time. Thats past the halfway point of season and an outrageous stat.
    The generals strength of the PL is weakening. Again it doesn’t make light of Liverpool’s achievements. They are a truly great side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Be another great result for Watford if they hung on here.

Themselves and Southampton have found their form

Can't see Bournemouth getting 2.

• I thought Eddie Howe was good enough to manage at the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, United, City, Liverpool?

Read that multiple times on the forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Bournemouth wheels have fallen off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

I thought Eddie Howe was good enough to manage at the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, United, City, Liverpool?

Read that multiple times on the forum

Well... United anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If pool get 100+ points and go unbeaten in the league it will be the best league winning team ever, fairly simple.. singular season.

Can't see a unbeaten season myself,will be one or two defeats, fatigue.

• This is it wrote: »
    Well... United anyway.

Fair point

A better managerial record than Ole isn't that hard to topple however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If pool get 100+ points and go unbeaten in the league it will be the best league winning team ever, fairly simple.. singular season.

More than likely Liverpool win it early and rest players because of champions league latter stages and end up losing a few games,

Fair point

The question I always ask

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I see next week as one of two potential banana skins as I fully expect Ole to set up like he did in the last game. United are a good counter attacking team against better opposition so the need to be clinical is absolutely paramount.

Fair point

A good question to work out how good a manger really is...... if a manger leaves his current team (not fired left due to a fall out or something ) How many teams in the Prem would want him over from there current manger,
    With Ole i genuinely think Zero Prem teams would be looking at him,

I see next week as one of two potential banana skins as I fully expect Ole to set up like he did in the last game. United are a good counter attacking team against better opposition so the need to be clinical is absolutely paramount.

January is Liverpool hardest month fixtures wise on paper, very interesting to see how many points they drop this month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So you mean that he won't play fair by letting Liverpool have their own way?

Seriously though, it'd be typical United to get a result there and lose the next 2.

Seriously though, it'd be typical United to get a result there and lose the next 2.

Who scores first is huge next week, United get it and they'll get huge confidence from recent results against City away and Liverpool fans will get very edgey I think 90% don't care about gping the season unbeaten as long as its not United who get that win,
    Where I think if Liverpool score first they will hammer United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Amazing job Pearson is doing at Watford

Nah I mean Ole is cute when it comes to tactics which is a good thing and he has the players to punish us. Relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see United win next week. Liverpool obvious favorites but United were good this weekend, even against a bottom of the table team. If anything will get them fired up it'll be the chance to mess up Liverpool's unbeaten run and give them a boost for top 4

Ardent wrote: »
    Amazing job Pearson is doing at Watford

He's doing great but how did the club think the players would perform under Flores they only sacked him a year or so ago, Obviously the players would have zero faith in his ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Howe might be sacked now.

Bournemouth will probably look at Watford & seen hoe they have improved under Pearson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

MD1990 wrote: »
    Howe might be sacked now.

Bournemouth will probably look at Watford & seen hoe they have improved under Pearson

I dunno. They've been decimated by injuries. The personal is not there.

Fraser badly out of form as well and he was brilliant for them last year. Created lots of really good chances for the strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

This is it wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see United win next week. Liverpool obvious favorites but United were good this weekend, even against a bottom of the table team. If anything will get them fired up it'll be the chance to mess up Liverpool's unbeaten run and give them a boost for top 4

Old trafford maybe but not an Anfield. This liverpool side will destroy Utd bar an absolute miracle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Injury blame only goes so far IMO. They've only managed two wins since September.

I know he's done an amazing job there and in the context of their budgets attendances etc, they have done so well over the last few years.

But it looks to me like the message just isn't working anymore. They have injuries but Callum Wilson and Ryan Fraser are nowhere near the level they were the last few years. He's not getting much out of Ake, Harry Wilson etc either. Sure, they're missing some key players but a lot of the other important ones are still available and not functioning.

I don't think he'll be sacked but they need to sort something ASAP because they're sinking without a trace at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Bournemouth, Villa & Norwich looking like the teams going down this season and Liverpool looking like Champions all before mid January so might as well call it a day now and give the players a few months off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

But it looks to me like the message just isn't working anymore. They have injuries but Callum Wilson and Ryan Fraser are nowhere near the level they were the last few years. He's not getting much out of Ake, Harry Wilson etc either. Sure, they're missing some key players but a lot of the other important ones are still available and not functioning.

Ake been out the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

League table after 22 games in the 98/99 season
    1 Chelsea 43
    2 Villa 43
    3 Utd 41
    4 Arsenal 39
    5 Leeds 36
    6 Liverpool 35

That points total would only have you fourth this season. 79 pts won the league in the end that year. Teams could get close to winning a league on a PPG of 2 pts. Those days are well gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Bournemouth, Villa & Norwich looking like the teams going down this season and Liverpool looking like Champions all before mid January so might as well call it a day now and give the players a few months off.

Fine by me.

1 Chelsea 43
    2 Villa 43
    3 Utd 41
    4 Arsenal 39
    5 Leeds 36
    6 Liverpool 35

That points total would only have you fourth this season. 79 pts won the league in the end that year. Teams could get close to winning a league on a PPG of 2 pts. Those days are well gone.

Thankfully the team that won that season also won the FA cup and CL and that was their 4th title in 5 years.

That was a great team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

niallo27 wrote: »
    Old trafford maybe but not an Anfield. This liverpool side will destroy Utd bar an absolute miracle.

Bookmarked....... Just in case.:)

It's the little victories this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

1 Chelsea 43
    2 Villa 43
    3 Utd 41
    4 Arsenal 39
    5 Leeds 36
    6 Liverpool 35

I’m not sure what point you are making here but all that suggests is that the league had more evenly matched teams that season. Liverpool are head and shoulders above everybody this season like city two seasons ago and Liverpool and city last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m not sure what point you are making here but all that suggests is that the league had more evenly matched teams that season.

So were they all great?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If we won all games except the Utd ones I'd be grand with it but years later it would eat me,

RasTa wrote: »
    Thankfully the team that won that season also won the FA cup and CL and that was their 4th title in 5 years.

That was a great team.

They were a great team no question, but the argument Im making is that the league is just as strong this year as it was then with 3 teams having a higher points total than the leaders after 22 games. It also wouldn't surprise me if 4 teams end up with 79 pts or over this year.

Utd backed up their titles with a few European cups. Probably not enough for their domestic dominance but there you go.

Arsenal on the other hand failed miserably in the Champions League. A good domestic team but virtually nobody's in the biggest comp.

• Advertisement

They were a great team no question, but the argument Im making is that the league is just as strong this year as it was then with 3 teams having a higher points total than the leaders after 22 games. It also wouldn't surprise me if 4 teams end up with 79 pts or over this year.

I don't care what season it was the team who wins the league always deserves it.

Don't buy into any of this easy year rubbish .

This team needs to win 3 in a row to be considered a great team imo, or win the treble.

It could happen sadly.

I don't care what season it was the team who wins the league always deserves it.

This team needs to win 3 in a row to be considered a great team imo, or win the treble.

It could happen sadly.

Sure if Liverpool win the league they've won the treble. The PL will go well with the Super Cup and the Club World Cup ;)

It could happen sadly.

I don't buy into it either. Just because a team has 61 pts out of 63 doesn't make this year easy either. The challengers are doing aswell as they do most seasons.

Ye better get used to those little victories for a long time....we had to. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Villa are witless, City are ruthless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Villa are witless, City are ruthless

They're going to win every remaining game aren't they :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I won't blame him for goal 2 which was a cluster**** but who is the villa keeper? At fault for two so far.

8-10 wrote: »
    They're going to win every remaining game aren't they :(

You were hardly expecting them to drop points to Villa were you?

I would have expected Villa to be focusing on their next three games to get some wins not today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Baggly wrote: »
    Ake been out the last while.

True - but in a run of ten games in which Ake played from Sept 20 (Bournemouth beat Southampton) and a game against Liverpool in early December which Bournemouth lost, they won just once (v Man United).

I'm not pinning the blame on any one player or the manager - the injuries have been a factor - but the drop off from players like Wilson and Fraser is an issue. I think even with the injuries, they should have a few more points.

They have performed against United and Chelsea but slumped against their relegation rivals. That's not a good sign.

I don't think they will sack the manager (nor would it even necessarily work) but something needs to change ASAP or Bournemouth will be in huge trouble. Maybe they can add a player or two in January to fix the problems and allow some rotation, but right now it looks to me that the Howe message has stopped getting through to some of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The greatest team of all time that haven’t won a league title in 30 years, it just gets better and better

It really is getting better and better. Glad to see you’re enjoying it all now too

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement