Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

This season is far from over still just under half a season to go nothing won in January. 99/08 Man U were a great side one of the best in fairness and most importantly have the trophy’s to back it up just like Arsenal. We have a great shot at it this season but it is far from over.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

City still very capable of putting along winning run together although they have a very very tuff run of games from March to April

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City playing well but Villa are just muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

They were a great team no question, but the argument Im making is that the league is just as strong this year as it was then with 3 teams having a higher points total than the leaders after 22 games. It also wouldn't surprise me if 4 teams end up with 79 pts or over this year.

I don’t think you guys should be worrying about what anybody says. Let your team do the talking, the only question on this Liverpool team looks like how many trophies they are going to win this season.

I can’t ever imagine I will see as enjoyable a season in my lifetime then 1999. Pretty much anything that could make it awesome happened and I don’t imagine anything actually being able to make it better for me.

- United win the league on the last day of the season , beating the league winners the previous season to the punch
    - United won the FA cup, beating their nearest rivals in the semi final in one of the most memorable games for numerous reasons. They actually scored a winner in the first game that was wrongly disallowed (VAR would of saved us one game)
    - united have a group of death with Bayern and Barca, then play Inter and a Juventus (probably CL favourites that season) and beat Bayern in the final in one of the most memorable last 3 minutes of a game ever. That Bayern team go onto win the CL very soon afterwards

Between December and May that season we really couldn’t rest in any game. That’s a different pressure to having such a massive lead where you can effectively pick maybe half your remaining league games and rest players. I’m not sure United winning the league by another 15-20 points would of made them a better team in my eyes but it certainly would not of made it as satisfying a season.

English football was not the top league back then because their clubs struggled in Europe after the ban. They also only got 2 teams into the CL so you Could argue it was a more challanging tournament back then because English teams werent fancied and because there was less canon fodder. This is partially what makes that win so sweet. England’s clubs are now the richest and should in theory be the strongest in the world. United were the underdogs, sure we all Remember Gary Neville’s face in that famous interview

We were sh*tting it against Juve.:pac:

I was saying to a Liverpool friend today that what you guys need now is a good rival to make your success sweeter. Im also fascinated to see if Klopp can keep the standards up next season as it is so hard for teams to maintain the standards after winning a league. In many regards it was city who pushed Liverpool to this level as the standards last season are what made Liverpool so driven to not lose a game (they couldn’t afford to last season).

Seriously though, this Liverpool team is going to at the very least win the league this next 6 months, just relax and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

This could be 8 or 9 if City keep their foot on the gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pityful stuff. No endeavour, no character. Grealish might put in a transfer request tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I don't need a good rival to make success all the sweeter, it's been so long success will be sweet just by coming! That said we have a good rival, one of the best teams ever seen in the league and currently twatting Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Villa are an embarrassment. Gotta give credit to city but some of the defending has been woeful. Grealish won’t stay there for too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Grealish could have left when we had even darker times than this but he stayed.

However, if he put head over heart he should go in the summer, too much ability there, he'd have his pick of clubs. (If they were all willing to pay up)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

De Bruyne goes into top 4 PL midfielders of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Grealish will go if villla go down . He stayed last time they were relegated

RasTa wrote: »

Statistically or your opinion?

Sergio hattrick. No Closing down sale at Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Villa are embarrassingly bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Sergio hattrick. No Closing down sale at Villa

Apparently a record breaking one,

His 12th in the Premier League which overtakes the previous record holder Shearer.

249 (total) Goals for him now for City. might make the 250 club today too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ahead of who?

Keane
    Scholes
    Vieria
    Lampard
    Gerrard
    Yaya toure
    David silva
    Kante

bangkok wrote: »
    Ahead of who?

Keane
    Scholes
    Vieria
    Lampard
    Gerrard
    Yaya toure
    David silva
    Kante

Scholes
    Lampard
    Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

hope Guardiola goes from City soon.

incredible coach.

yes he spends huge amounts but his teams are so good.
    Positioned perfectly on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ahead of who?

Keane
    Scholes
    Vieria
    Lampard
    Gerrard
    Yaya toure
    David silva
    Kante

Essien was a monster at his best. Makelele wasn’t bad either. Every generation of players seemed to be hyped up in comparison to the previous.

Scholes
    Lampard
    Keane

Ahead of those or those 3 plus de bruyne?

• Advertisement

When Liverpool win their game in hand they will still be 17 points clear, mental stuff.
    Ahead of those or those 3 plus de bruyne?

Top 4, no rankings

Glad to see City's goal difference slightly reduced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Poor Jimmy Greaves records are totally written out of top fight football by Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Villa and Bournemouth in the bottom 3 now.

Will they be there at the end of the season? Wouldn't rule it out TBH, the bottom 3 now being relegated. Long way to go yet, but points in the bag might yet save the likes of Newcastle/Brighton/Burnley, who are limited sides, but Villa and Bournemouth have poor squads available to them this season, albeit not helped by injuries, and really haven't resources to get any stronger this January!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Southampton 12th and Watford 17th and rising-fair play to both clubs for turning it around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

sabat wrote: »
    Southampton 12th and Watford 17th and rising-fair play to both clubs for turning it around.

People laughed at me when I said Saints could be a top half side.

Now, admittedly, I said it before they lost 9-0 to Leicester.

But who is laughing now?!!

Hassenhuttl is a good coach so it's nice to see him get time to implement ideas. They probably won't crack the top half but they should be safe now.

Watford have done a good job too. A very quick turnaround for a side who looked hopeless at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Villa and Bournemouth in the bottom 3 now.

Will they be there at the end of the season? Wouldn't rule it out TBH, the bottom 3 now being relegated. Long way to go yet, but points in the bag might yet save the likes of Newcastle/Brighton/Burnley, who are limited sides, but Villa and Bournemouth have poor squads available to them this season, albeit not helped by injuries, and really haven't resources to get any stronger this January!

Villa spent around £120m in the summer so I don't think they are short of money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

People laughed at me when I said Saints could be a top half side.

Now, admittedly, I said it before they lost 9-0 to Leicester.

But who is laughing now?!!

Hassenhuttl is a good coach so it's nice to see him get time to implement ideas. They probably won't crack the top half but they should be safe now.

Watford have done a good job too. A very quick turnaround for a side who looked hopeless at one stage.

Southampton now have the same points total as Arsenal and Everton and are just a point behind Palace. If they continue their recent good form a top half finish is quite achievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 22 highlights

Sheff Utd V West Ham

Palace V Arsenal

Chelsea V Burnley

Everton V Brighton

Leicester V Southampton

Man Utd V Norwich

Wolves V Newcastle

Spurs V Liverpool

Bournemouth V Watford

Aston Villa V Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

61 Liverpool
    47 Man City
    45 Leicester
    39 Chelsea
    34 Man Utd
    32 Sheff Utd
    31 Wolves
    30 Spurs
    29 Palace
    28 Arsenal Everton Southampton
    26 Newcastle
    24 Brighton Burnley
    22 West Ham Watford
    21 Villa
    20 Bournemouth
    14 Norwich

• Advertisement

Just seen the declan rice handball there now. Very harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

bangkok wrote:
    Just seen the declan rice handball there now. Very harsh

It's not a matter of harshness tho. It hit his hand in the build up to a goal. Hand ball. It's as black and white as they come, given the new rule.

Baggly wrote: »
    It's not a matter of harshness tho. It hit his hand in the build up to a goal. Hand ball. It's as black and white as they come, given the new rule.

Yep, it's pretty clear cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For anyone with access to BBC Scotland, there's a documentary on Bill Shankly on now.

Ye I don't understand the outrage they all know the rules so VAR done its job,
    Out of all the hand ball ones not given the Doherty header against United was the silliest it was going in regardless but yet there was no media outrage, Strange how if it happens on Sky it becomes a much bigger deal,

For anyone with access to BBC Scotland, there's a documentary on Bill Shankly on now.

Wrong thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just caught the Sunday Supplement there and Neil Ashton has finished as host as he is taking up a job as a PR consultant for Man U as a media adviser for Ed and the Glazers.

Interesting job switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

JPA wrote: »
    Wrong thread.

Really ???

It's a repeat. They have very little to work with on BBC Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Really ???

He's a true Utd fan if he tried posting that in our thread he'd burst into flames

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

gimli2112 wrote: »
    He's a true Utd fan if he tried posting that in our thread he'd burst into flames

More likely to be set fire to first:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Really ???

Yeah, he never managed in the premier league :pac:

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Yeah, he never managed in the premier league :pac:

Laid the foundation for Klopp

Offside is black and white as well and i think a lot of those decisions are harsh as well. A big toe offside, a shoulder offside, a heal offside etc

Offside is black and white as well and i think a lot of those decisions are harsh as well. A big toe offside, a shoulder offside, a heal offside etc

that's the point, it's not VAR that's the problem it's the offside and handball rules
    although the UK seems to be particularly bad and I'm not sure why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm okay with the handball law tbh. The usage for VAR in miniscule offsides can do one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

bangkok wrote:

Issue isn't the decision then, it's the law. Still clear cut. These decisions would have been right if applied without Var. They are just getting caught now.

I don't know how you change the offside rule to take account of Var, without making a mockery of offside as a concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Before VAR they just put a line across the pitch and you could see clear as day if a player was offside, this sh1te of two lines and then drawing extra lines from the armpit etc is ridiculous in fairness. If it's extremely tight then benefit to the attacker, it's over complicated at the moment.

I see United tweeted Rahsford was the 3rd youngest player to reach 200 games for the club but they where wrong,

Even more embarrassing was they had to be told via a tweet by Norman Whitesides wife under there original tweet and even stranger he should be top of the list as he's the youngest to get to 200,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I see United tweeted Rahsford was the 3rd youngest player to reach 200 games for the club but they where wrong,

Even more embarrassing was they had to be told via a tweet by Norman Whitesides wife under there original tweet and even stranger he should be top of the list as he's the youngest to get to 200,

Good to see you back, were you on a sabbatical?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement