Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A goal six minutes into additional time of the last game of the season to win the league is so rare. The last time it happened was Thomas against Liverpool in 89. I’m not aware of it happening before that in England?

Has it happened in the other major leagues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    A goal six minutes into additional time of the last game of the season to win the league is so rare. The last time it happened was Thomas against Liverpool in 89. I’m not aware of it happening before that in England?

Has it happened in the other major leagues?

Off the top of my head, the closest I can think of was that last minute bicycle goal from Rivaldo, to complete his hattrick, against Valenica on the last game of the 2001 season to win 3-2 and put Barca ahead of Valenica in the table and get CL football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

not league but champions league, current utd manager, last kick of the game to win the european cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Qualifying for European football isn’t quite the same thing.

A last minute goal in a cup final obviously is something different.

After 30 odd games, in additional time, a goal to swing a league really is quite the rarity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Jamie Redknapp nearly managed it for Utd with his goal against Blackburn. I wanted Liverpool to win that game but was glad West Ham did their part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It was over another team had won the league, the last kick of the game and it swings back to the other side of Manchester. It's one of the great moments in football, no one can hardly believe regardless of who you support. 38 games comes down to that one moment. Overall that was a cracking title race.

The Thomas goal at Anfield was far more unusual/interesting than Aguero's winner.

Because obviously in the former, the 2 teams vying for the title were against each other, and the winning margin had to be 2 goals, Liverpool had not lost by 2 goals at Anfield in years etc. Aguero's moment was "just" a late winner in a match everyone expected them to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The Aguero goal for me was a weird one. I went into the last game giving United no chance of winning the league. QPR were a shambles and City had gone on a great run. Only result I could see was City winning. Even with 10 mins to go I expected to see a City goal to flash up. There was probably 5 minutes where I believed it might happen for United, then the goal and that was dashed. My hopes never truly taised for long so the goal didnt have quite the demoralising effect had they been playing a team better than QPR on that final day.

rob316 wrote: »
    It was over another team had won the league, the last kick of the game and it swings back to the other side of Manchester. It's one of the great moments in football, no one can hardly believe regardless of who you support. 38 games comes down to that one moment. Overall that was a cracking title race.

will never forget it, watched the united game, they done there bit, city went 1 up, thought they would win easily, couldnt believe it when qpr scored 2 and were leading 2-1. utd game was just over and city had already equalized, when aguero scored i just sat there stunned for well over an hour without saying a word to anyone. it will never be beaten for an end of day season finale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Thomas goal at Anfield was far more unusual/interesting than Aguero's winner.

Because obviously in the former, the 2 teams vying for the title were against each other, and the winning margin had to be 2 goals, Liverpool had not lost by 2 goals at Anfield in years etc. Aguero's moment was "just" a late winner in a match everyone expected them to win.

I remember that game well,that was an amazing day the way the game went. You couldn't have made it up.

• Advertisement

I missed all the drama. I was studying for college exams and took a break to watch the Liverpool, and eventually trying to get a late equaliser to a Danny Graham goal for Swansea. The library was not exactly flush with the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

For all those thinking the gap between Liverpool and City right now is too big to be overcome and the League is over, remember 1988-89 saw Arsenal lead by I think 19pts at one stage in February and yet needed that last minute goal to win the league on goal difference.

I know there were games in hand at play at different points but Arsenal only took 23pts from their last 14 games and Liverpool took 40pts from the 14 in pursuit so real gap was 17pts with 14 to play.

If Liverpool win their back match gap is 17pts but with 16 to play.

Anybody remembering that season knows it's not over until it's over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://www.givemesport.com/1537174-manchester-united-fans-chant-antiwoodward-and-glazer-songs-as-they-batter-norwich-40

Surprised I didn't see this mentioned yet but United fans were signing some anti Glazer and Woodward chants against Norwich.

Did they go a bit far with the Bonfire one? And I thought I saw another one threatening to kill Woodward posted on Reddit but I can't find it now.

8-10 wrote: »
    For all those thinking the gap between Liverpool and City right now is too big to be overcome and the League is over, remember 1988-89 saw Arsenal lead by I think 19pts at one stage in February and yet needed that last minute goal to win the league on goal difference.

19 clear on 28th February, in comparison City are breathing down our necks

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Surprised I didn't see this mentioned yet but United fans were signing some anti Glazer and Woodward chants against Norwich.

Did they go a bit far with the Bonfire one? And I thought I saw another one threatening to kill Woodward posted on Reddit but I can't find it now.

First of all, per Manchester Evening News journalist Samuel Luckhurst, they were heard chanting: “Ed Woodward is a w***er”...Video footage them emerged confirming this was, indeed, the case…

Snigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

8-10 wrote: »

I know there were games in hand at play at different points but Arsenal only took 23pts from their last 14 games and Liverpool took 40pts from the 14 in pursuit so real gap was 17pts with 14 to play.

If Liverpool win their back match gap is 17pts but with 16 to play.

Anybody remembering that season knows it's not over until it's over.

People need to stop making this kind of point as if it's relevant to this season.

Do you know what the points total were for both teams that season? 76.

When you have two teams who are regularly losing and drawing games there's a far higher degree of variability in streaks of form. That isn't what we have.

Liverpool won 7 games in the first half of the season, drew 7 and lost 5 (incidentally as absurdly unlikely as that would be - that would still put Liverpool on 83 points, which is still more than City are on course for).

Arsenal didn't nearly lose that league. They largely pottered along at the same pace the whole season. It was just that Liverpool somehow managed to win 15, and draw 3 games before the final game against Arsenal.

The outlier there that nearly upset the applecart was Liverpool going on an obscene run of form, but that isn't going to change matters this season. We can already expect City to do something like 15/3/1 over the 2nd half of the season. The problem is how much Liverpool already have in the bag and that it probably still won't matter, because that'll only be 86 points and Liverpool only need to win about half their games to better that.

I think the closest we're going to see will be Liverpool dropping points in back to back games, and the media will try to paint it as if the hunt is back on, but then Liverpool will win 3 more games, and City will draw a game, and everyone will remember why a 15-odd point lead is unassailable at this level.

The league is finished and only childish "anti-jinxing" remains as a reason to think otherwise. At a certain point this false modesty craic just starts to look stupid. For form the players have to pretend like it isn't, probably even to themselves, but the charade can't go on forever.

The league season that remains is for Liverpool fans to enjoy. To take pleasure in the side accomplishing something that they've been waiting decades for. To enjoy individual moments that will punctuate the season and live on beyond the headline that Liverpool have won the league. And there's still two others trophies that very much are all up in the air and nothing like a forgone conclusion, and both of which City are still generally favourites for.

In the last 5 games of the 1992 season Utd got 4 points compared to Leeds' 13. 9 Point swing in 5 games

Things can change quickly in football, I don't think it's "childish" to have the opinion it's not over yet. We should win it but I wouldn't bet my life on it. We should have won it in 2014 as well and are in a much better position now.

Still if you had told me a few weeks ago we'd be 14 points clear of City with a game in hand I'd have put you down as a fantasist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

gimli2112 wrote: »
    In the last 5 games of the 1992 season Utd got 4 points compared to Leeds' 13. 9 Point swing in 5 games

Things can change quickly in football, I don't think it's "childish" to have the opinion it's not over yet. We should win it but I wouldn't bet my life on it. We should have won it in 2014 as well and are in a much better position now.

Still if you had told me a few weeks ago we'd be 14 points clear of City with a game in hand I'd have put you down as a fantasist.

In 2014 there was a team who were 8 points clear in March who ended up in 3rd

Gbear wrote: »
    The league season that remains is for Liverpool fans to enjoy. To take pleasure in the side accomplishing something that they've been waiting decades for. To enjoy individual moments that will punctuate the season and live on beyond the headline that Liverpool have won the league. And there's still two others trophies that very much are all up in the air and nothing like a forgone conclusion, and both of which City are still generally favourites for.

I am doing nothing but enjoy the season so far! Loving every game and hoping for the ultimate to happen in May.

But you can fully enjoy it all and still know that it's not guaranteed.

You don't have to believe it's over to enjoy the season, if anything some of the games remaining might be an anticlimax if it was already over!

I'm going to be well up for the game on Sunday as I hope the team are. They have the experience of 2019 coupled with what happened in 2014 and 1989 so it's imperative that nobody takes it for granted.

In 2014 there was a team who were 8 points clear in March who ended up in 3rd

The team who finished 4th that season led the league for over half the season, more than 100 days in first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

is_that_so wrote: »

If it does play out like that, there's not going to be much left to play for in the last few weeks of the season.

16 point gap at the top means the title race is done nice and early, 9 pts separating 4th and 5th means no late drama for CL spots, the relegated sides four points away from survival so that all comes to an end with two games to spare at the latest.

I'm not familiar with that site - or their model - mind you, so not sure if people put any weight in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If it does play out like that, there's not going to be much left to play for in the last few weeks of the season.

16 point gap at the top means the title race is done nice and early, 9 pts separating 4th and 5th means no late drama for CL spots, the relegated sides four points away from survival so that all comes to an end with two games to spare at the latest.

I'm not familiar with that site - or their model - mind you, so not sure if people put any weight in it!
    They are big on US political polls and pretty good at those, run by a guy called Nate Silver. This seems to be a new project they are doing on football(soccer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Ole gets 5th he will surely get another season as manager.

If Ole gets 5th he will surely get another season as manager.

5th and win the europa league :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

City are not going to end up with less than 83 points. If they win the next two games they are sitting on 53 points just 3 less than after 24 games last season.

kind of Premier League connected but the PFA charity of which Gordon Taylor is a trustee is being investigated by the Charities Commission. Early days and being careful what they say, investigation only, no allegations being made etc. One thing though is they had £2M staff costs last year and no employees. A clear case of seeing the smoke and now simply to find the fire, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There seemed to be a narritave that Ole needs time at United and mainly because his recruitment last summer was good but is it just me or is that simple not true
    Maguire been bang average

Bissaka is very poor on the ball it, good defending but that's not good enough for a top full back for years now, its not the 90s full backs at every tip club have to ve good at attacking,

James has been OK I suppose

For close to what 130 million? they haven't really got much for the money

Am I missing something as to why it was seen as good recruitment, I wonder is it because the media don't really critics broth is players like they would foreign ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Bait.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Baggly wrote: »
    Bait.gif

Do you mean

Broth.gif?

Or could broth be used as bait maybe?

Very on the ball it eitherway Baggly

There seemed to be a narritave that Ole needs time at United and mainly because his recruitment last summer was good but is it just me or is that simple not true

Bissaka is very poor on the ball it, good defending but that's not good enough for a top full back for years now, its not the 90s full backs at every tip club have to ve good at attacking,

Am I missing something as to why it was seen as good recruitment, I wonder is it because the media don't really critics broth is players like they would foreign ones

£143 according to Transfer Markt.

In the last 5 seasons United have spent £703m and the team looks no better for it. They've wasted so much money.

Liverpool have spent £517 in the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Premier league can be slow when using Var but the French took about 4 minutes to give PSG a goal tonight.

You are just not right here really, unsurprisingly. Standard football fan **** really, mentally divisive opinions seem to be the norm these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    £143 according to Transfer Markt.

In the last 5 seasons United have spent £703m and the team looks no better for it. They've wasted so much money.

Liverpool have spent £517 in the same time.

We've done well for just over 500 quid:pac:

.G. wrote: »

must be net spend

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »

Smart fecker :pac:

You are just not right here really, unsurprisingly. Standard football fan **** really, mentally divisive opinions seem to be the norm these days.

Where would you disagree?

Where would you disagree?

With almost every word of it

With almost every word of it

So you think Maguire has been good and Bissaka is good enough ful lback for a top side?

I can't for the life of me see how Maguire is any where near top drawer,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm waiting for the broken quotes to start.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »

I certainly will not be engaging so you can rest easy

I certainly will not be engaging so you can rest easy

I'm easy kid,

So you think Maguire has been good and Bissaka is good enough ful lback for a top side?

I can't for the life of me see how Maguire is any where near top drawer,

If you dont think wan bissaka is good enough for a top side you havent seen much of him tbh. Prob the best defender in europe in a one on one situation

bangkok wrote: »
    If you dont think wan bissaka is good enough for a top side you havent seen much of him tbh. Prob the best defender in europe in a one on one situation

I think he's good at defending but how many top teams in Europe have a full back who's poor going forward?
    For over 25 years now you need your full backs to be good going forward,
    How many times have we heard in the last 20 years that a full back doesn't do enough on the ball,

All the best teams in Europe have attacking full backs for a long long time now,

I understand he probably suits United currently but if they progress into a top side again they will need a full back that gives more to the attack,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Traore done Wan Bissaka easily a few times tonight.

He is a good player but Van Dijk is better in 1v1's

MD1990 wrote: »

I don't think it's fair to compare a CB and RB your defending different kind of spaces and each has advantages and disadvantages,

Every full back will be past at some stage i think AWB is great in that sense its on the ball that he suffers

MD1990 wrote: »

I was talking about best right back in a one on one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I was talking about best right back in a one on one..

That's not what you said.

• pjohnson wrote: »

:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement