Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Wouldn't have him near the City midfield either, he's a good player but I think he's a bit more suited to a counter attacking team.

I would say opposite to counter attack. He is more in control and has a swagger when he is on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Corholio wrote: »
    A counter attacking team? It'd be the opposite. He demands and looks for the ball a lot, controls games too when team are on top, just hasn't been surrounded by similar quality players for that to happen often.

I don't particularly think Liverpool need Grealish, their midfield is superb and already has many facets to it. However you can tell who only has an 'impression' of Grealish and who actually watches him. Have heard 'doesn't do enough off the ball', 'lightweight', 'goes missing' which are all ridiculous and the opposite of his performances this season. His stats are up there with the best players this season from midfield.

I think so, I think he's at his best dribbling into big spaces, at City that's not the MO for their midfielders.

I'm not watching Vila play every week, but I've seen enough full games of him to form my own opinion on him. If you're his size (barely taller than David Silva according to Google) then you need to be particularly special on the ball to play in a midfield 3 for one of the big clubs, I don't think he is. That's not to say he isn't a very good player or an excellent number 10 but not a starting midfield 3 player for a top team I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Surely that is circumstancial on how the injury has occured?

I.e - a player half fit and he plays him and then tears a muscle - Howes at fault

- A player fully fit, gets a bad tackle out for 6 months - Not his fault.

So the implication in the article is that injuries are managed poorly on a recurring basis. If true, it’s his responsibility to challenge medical / fitness staff and clear house as necessary.

is_that_so wrote: »
    What's the story with Villa, after their massive splurge?

I don’t understand the question? My post was discussing Bournemouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Grealish is a poor man's Couthino and as we have all learned once Couthino left Liverpool the midfeild has become stronger,
    Grealish may be more skillful than Liverpool midfeild but there all about drive, work rate and intensity, He doesn't get near there midfield,
    Its really about they system, Liverpool use the full backs and 3 up front for creativity the midfeild is the engine room and they do recycling of the ball , Grealish doesn't fit what they want in there

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Minamino now I'd say. He played a lot for Red Bull from the left but played the 10 as well.

Most Villa fans think Grealish is wasted out on the left I'd say.

I reckon Minamino has been bought to be a Firmino stand in when needed and not a midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

FitzShane wrote: »
    You're right, we should be comparing him with Bertrand, Cresswell, Bardsley & Rico who seem to be in the same league as him in terms of attacking output.

ms8dnyid7j941.jpg

It took me a few seconds to find Trent :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don’t understand the question? My post was discussing Bournemouth
    It's called extending the discussion! Just curious about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I reckon Minamino has been bought to be a Firmino stand in when needed and not a midfielder

I don't think so. If Bobby isn't available I think we'll see a 4-2-3-1 formation with Minamino in the 10, Mane left, Shaq/Salah on the right and Salah/Origi up top later on in the season or next season.

I don't think so. If Bobby isn't available I think we'll see a 4-2-3-1 formation with Minamino in the 10, Mane left, Shaq/Salah on the right and Salah/Origi up top later on in the season or next season.

Very possible you could be correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I have a feeling we will see more of that formation anyways.

Salah has improved the 'CF' side to his game so much in the last 18 months. He receives the ball with his back to goal, and is strong enough to hold off defenders with arse and then either turn at run at goal, or else bring team mates into it by laying it off. It's happening so much in games lately, it has to be a clear tactic from the coaching staff IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Looking forward to seeing Minamino get a start with the proper first XI not just with the reserve team in cups.

'Trent vs AWB: A clash of styles'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11908654

bangkok wrote: »
    'Trent vs AWB: A clash of styles'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11908654

Love Trent, brilliant player, tonnes of potential to get even better. The "he's one of the best attacking full backs I've ever seen" quote in that article is laying it on a bit thick though.

Love Trent, brilliant player, tonnes of potential to get even better. The "he's one of the best attacking full backs I've ever seen" quote in that article is laying it on a bit thick though.

Is it? I’m in my mid thirties and he’s an objective standout as one of the most electric attacking fullbacks I’ve ever watched in detail. Maybe there were lads plying their trade in the 60’s and 70’s that were better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

His attacking output in the past two years has been astonishing. Roberto Carlos and Cafu spring to mind as attacking full backs, obviously there has been more but in terms of "pinnacle" these two spring to mind. This is the category TAA is currently in. Still has his dodgy moments at the back, which we don't mind when we're winning .

Dani Alves at barca was pretty good as well, Evra in his prime with utd

gimli2112 wrote: »
    His attacking output in the past two years has been astonishing. Roberto Carlos and Cafu spring to mind as attacking full backs, obviously there has been more but in terms of "pinnacle" these two spring to mind. This is the category TAA is currently in. Still has his dodgy moments at the back, which we don't mind when we're winning .

Alves and Lahm as well I'd say.

Evra doesn't strike me as a "marauding" full back like the others. That's not a criticism just an observation. I'd say the same of Maldini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have many fullbacks matched the number of assists he has in his first two seasons?

I've seen great crossers before but he is basically something close to the passing range of KDB from RB the last two years.

Is it? I’m in my mid thirties and he’s an objective standout as one of the most electric attacking fullbacks I’ve ever watched in detail. Maybe there were lads plying their trade in the 60’s and 70’s that were better?

He's very good, but after 2 full seasons at the top level to already claim he's one the best ever attacking full backs seems a bit much to me. Already mentioned but Alves, Lahm, Alaba, Alba are 4 recent attacking full backs with years of proven quality at the top level. I think TAA will get to that level, but rushing to already put him up there after only 2 years is jumping the gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He's very good, but after 2 full seasons at the top level to already claim he's one the best ever attacking full backs seems a bit much to me. Already mentioned but Alves, Lahm, Alaba, Alba are 4 recent attacking full backs with years of proven quality at the top level. I think TAA will get to that level, but rushing to already put him up there after only 2 years is jumping the gun.

Definitely one of the best I've ever seen.

Sure he could retire tomorrow or get injured and nosedive bit can only base it on the three seasons we have.

And those three seasons are unreal.

I think this is a fair point but coming at it from a different angle, he's performing at this level now, if not beyond it. He may well not maintain it but for two years now he's been astonishing.

He only had one assist in 19 games in 2017/18 year, I just checked. Appalling.

Maybe trent will be pushed forward more and play as a winger if salah leaves? Bit like the way bale started out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I do think it's premature to be talking of him as an all time great, but he is playing at a very high level and looks like he is on the correct path in his career to be talked about as one eventually. 10 years at the top before he can be talked about like that IMO.

That said, his career so far is being played at a ridiculously high standard, competing at the top end of the game in every single season he has been a starting player. Currently, he is probably the best full back in the game. Needs to keep his level going though.

17/18: Breakthrough season. The run to the CL final, including a standout defensive performance in the CL 1/4 against Sane & Man City.
    18/19: The attacking side of his game really kicks on and he starts racking up a massive amount of assists. CL winner. 1st team in a decade to keep a clean sheet in a CL final.
    19/20: Development into more of a playmaker constantly involved in the game from RB. Creating chances (better stat than assists) constantly every game, with a long range passing game added to his repertoire. Only KDB rivals him here. Assist tally stays at the same high level. CWC & Super Cup winner with possibility of more trophies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Maybe trent will be pushed forward more and play as a winger if salah leaves? Bit like the way bale started out

He already plays in that position to be honest. He's a fullback for sure but Liverpool don't have the same system as most teams when it comes to fullbacks.

To push him forward means you either need to change your whole system or have a replacement at RB that can play the same as him. There's nobody out there better right now for that position.

The attached shows the heatmaps of 2 different players from games this season, one is Trent, the other KdB.

Look at the similarity of the attacking half.

8-10 wrote: »
    He already plays in that position to be honest. He's a fullback for sure but Liverpool don't have the same system as most teams when it comes to fullbacks.

To push him forward means you either need to change your whole system or have a replacement at RB that can play the same as him. There's nobody out there better right now for that position.

The attached shows the heatmaps of 2 different players from games this season, one is Trent, the other KdB.

Look at the similarity of the attacking half.

I think TAA is the one on the left.

Taa is a little different from your normal attacking full back they normally use speed and skill kinda like your old school winger, Trents weapon is his range of passing and crossing,
    He reminds me of Beckham with his range of passing, Plus at his age Beckham was still on loan at Preston,
    TAA is very different to your average attacking full back

I dont see it Salah and Winger receives a lot of the ball with back to the full back Trent need to be facing forward to use his passing range,

Makes no sense to move him you will alaways find a winger/wide forward to replace Salah but you won't find a right back that gives you what Trent does its a weapon other teams don't have, another string to Liverpoolsbow why get rid of it by moving him forward

I think TAA is the one on the left.

He is. The defensive half gives it away but the rest is pretty similar considering nobody would claim KdB plays fullback or Trent plays right midfield from the lineups.

That was Trent away to Villa on Nov 2nd.

KdB one was home to Southampton on the same day.

Both teams won 2-1

• Advertisement

He is. The defensive half gives it away but the rest is pretty similar considering nobody would claim KdB plays fullback or Trent plays right midfield from the lineups.

That was Trent away to Villa on Nov 2nd.

KdB one was home to Southampton on the same day.

Both teams won 2-1

I actually picked the left one because the one on the right had a a bit more around the centre circle and I knew Trent doesn't venture in there to often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I think bale started out at full back ? Could trent end up in a forward position like bale ?

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I think bale started out at full back ? Could trent end up in a forward position like bale ?

Some of us have opined this on the Liverpool thread which has caused outrage, not without justification. The reality is he works where he is at the moment, why change it? The role he is carving out for himself in the team is making him kind of indispensable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Yeh but Bale was a terrible full back. He had a record of like 37 appearances and never won a game at some stage :pac:

In a different system it may make sense to deploy him elsewhere. In Liverpool’s current system, the fullback positions are arguably the most important positions on the pitch.

In the current system he has the freedom to go forward, to come inside into a midfield position and from the right corner back position he can see the full pitch and he has the ability to take advantage of that. Moving him forward would only limit some of his biggest strengths.

Withdrawing players to deeper positions to give them space and a better view of the pitch can be clever, the odd time Guardiola does it with De Bruyne where he puts gets him to play in a right back spot I think he always does very well.

In a different system it may make sense to deploy him elsewhere. In Liverpool’s current system, the fullback positions are arguably the most important positions on the pitch.

Yeah the interesting thing is where he'll sit in England's team. To-date I don't think they've used him effectively and it's not an easy one to solve.

Jadon Sancho is more than a year younger and has more caps, Marcus Rashford is a year older and has more than 4 times as many caps.

I'm not trying to directly compare those players, just highlighting that certain positions are easier to slot in than others and I think he's hampered by his best position being in a system England don't know how to play.

I look forward to England criminally under using him for many years to come.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I look forward to England criminally under using him for many years to come.

At least england will play him in his correct position unlike what they did with scholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Marcello was class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Yeah the interesting thing is where he'll sit in England's team. To-date I don't think they've used him effectively and it's not an easy one to solve.

Jadon Sancho is more than a year younger and has more caps, Marcus Rashford is a year older and has more than 4 times as many caps.

I'm not trying to directly compare those players, just highlighting that certain positions are easier to slot in than others and I think he's hampered by his best position being in a system England don't know how to play.

I think a big factor to hamper TAA's caps with England was the number of players ahead of him in the queue.

With Kyle Walker and Kieran Trippier, England had two full-backs, both of whom were established and important members of the international set-up when TAA arrived on the scene.

Southgate has backed his established players to date - see also: easing Maddison and others into the team - and so wasn't in a rush to put TAA in the team.

With Walker now seemingly out of the picture, TAA is only now the obvious first choice to get into the team. At least in terms of how Southgate manages it.

But, yeah, there is also the question of can England get the best of him in a flat back four and, of course, the competition that will emerge in the coming years. Without TAA, Trippier and Walker, England could still be looking at Wan Bissaka, Reece James, James Justin, Max Aarons and Steven Sessegnong as RB options. I don't know how they will all turn out but that is quite the selection and might justify moving TAA.

For Liverpool, I don't see the logic in moving him to midfield as is often floated because the full-backs are the source of creativity in the team. Often, I think suggestions to move him just misunderstand that fact - putting him in a congested midfield would require him to change his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I think a big factor to hamper TAA's caps with England was the number of players ahead of him in the queue.

With Kyle Walker and Kieran Trippier, England had two full-backs, both of whom were established and important members of the international set-up when TAA arrived on the scene.

Southgate has backed his established players to date - see also: easing Maddison and others into the team - and so wasn't in a rush to put TAA in the team.

With Walker now seemingly out of the picture, TAA is only now the obvious first choice to get into the team. At least in terms of how Southgate manages it.

But, yeah, there is also the question of can England get the best of him in a flat back four and, of course, the competition that will emerge in the coming years. Without TAA, Trippier and Walker, England could still be looking at Wan Bissaka, Reece James, James Justin, Max Aarons and Steven Sessegnong as RB options. I don't know how they will all turn out but that is quite the selection and might justify moving TAA.

For Liverpool, I don't see the logic in moving him to midfield as is often floated because the full-backs are the source of creativity in the team. Often, I think suggestions to move him just misunderstand that fact - putting him in a congested midfield would require him to change his game.

His average position is just behind the midfield as it is. There is no need to move him as we play so high up the pitch as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oliver taking a stand and doing it in the FA Cup seems to have put some pressure on his boss.
    Referees in the Premier League have been advised to start using pitchside monitors from this weekend if a VAR recommends changing a decision on a red card, Sky Sports News has confirmed.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1218162704617279491?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Oliver taking a stand and doing it in the FA Cup seems to have put some pressure on his boss.

It never made any sense why they weren't using them anyway.

The suggestion that it would cause delays in the game doesn't hold up because the VAR checks caused such a delay anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It never made any sense why they weren't using them anyway.

The suggestion that it would cause delays in the game doesn't hold up because the VAR checks caused such a delay anyway!

It all makes sense when ya realise that Mike Riley is head of the PGMOL. Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1218162704617279491?s=20

Oliver didn't make a stand, The ref checking the monitors was brought in as a trail in the F.A. Cup

I guess the apparent immediate success of that call forced the F.A.'s hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Michael Oliver really is the best they have in England even on MotD that night they said the FA released a statement saying he did off his on back and they had not instructed referees to use the monitor. I thought he might actually get punished by Mile Reilly for doing it.

Michael Oliver really is the best they have in England even on MotD that night they said the FA released a statement saying he did off his on back and they had not instructed referees to use the monitor. I thought he might actually get punished by Mile Reilly for doing it.

Unfortunately he's not just the best, he's the only good one. I'd trade him in for 5 or 6 Michael Oliver's at 80%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

12:30 Watford v Spurs
    15:00 Arsenal v Sheff Utd
    15:00 Brighton v Aston Villa
    15:00 Man City v C Palace
    15:00 Norwich v AFC Bournemouth
    15:00 Southampton v Wolves
    15:00 West Ham v Everton
    17:30 Newcastle v Chelsea

Sunday 19 January 2020
    14:00 Burnley v Leicester
    16:30 Liverpool v Man Utd

Basement battle as Norwich host Bournemouth, basically Norwich must win this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So wtf is the rule with VAR? There was a definite handball by a Watford player there, hands not at his side, but it wasn't even reviewed? Shouldn't VAR call that back?

Definitely accidental, but that's not supposed to matter anymore...right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement