Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

8-10 wrote: »
    Ref didn't think so.

he was about to blow the whistle, but let the play go on thinking utd would clear the ball. var made the right decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

bangkok wrote: »
    he was about to blow the whistle, but let the play go on thinking utd would clear the ball. var made the right decision

I disagree. I don't often side with Roy Keane but he called it right at half time for me. The game's gone mad.

Get rid of VAR after this season for good.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

he jumped into the goalkeeper who was trying to catch the ball. its a foul everyday of the week

He genuinely challenged for the ball in my opinion.

Either way, it doesn't matter, game is well over at this stage.

Question for those who think the PL is poor this season. If Liverpool had 15 points less then they have, (and ignoring the points other teams would have picked up because of Liverpool getting less points) would you think the league was of a terrible standard this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

5starpool wrote: »
    Question for those who think the PL is poor this season. If Liverpool had 15 points less then they have, (and ignoring the points other teams would have picked up because of Liverpool getting less points) would you think the league was of a terrible standard this season?

Wouldn't say worse but it seems more even this season. The big teams are losing to teams you wouldn't expect (except Pool obviously) fairly regularly while a few of the so called bigger teams are having either really bad seasons or rebuilding (Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea). Reminds of the season Leicester won it except one team are actually performing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There 16 points ahead of a City team who are suppose to be one of the greatest teams ever , 198 points in there last two season's ,
    City are only something like 5 points off there point tally for this stage last season

Last season Champions league 2 Prem teams in the final, 3 out of 4 in the semi,

Europa league 2 Prem teams in the final

All Prem and Europa teams through so far this season ,

Someone said City are favourites for the champions league how ?
    Current form Liverpool are miles ahead of them , been in the last two finals and current European and World Champions ,

Liverpool are currently the best side on the planet end of

Wouldn't say worse but it seems more even this season. The big teams are losing to teams you wouldn't expect (except Pool obviously) fairly regularly while a few of the so called bigger teams are having either really bad seasons or rebuilding (Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea). Reminds of the season Leicester won it except one team are actually performing.

Second that season was 71 points iirc, which was on the low side historically. In the 80's, 90's, 00's teams regularly won leagues on points in the mid 80's, sometimes as low as the mid 70's. Does that mean that we should write off those leagues as rubbish, or were they much better overall because they didn't have a single team that ran away with it (or two in the case of last season). Does the absence of a team much better than everyone else make the league automatically better? It seems to be the inference for sure, but that is very much counter intuitive to rational thinking in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Teams chasing top 6 have been performing lower than expectations no doubt about it but shouldn't take away from Liverpool.

Liverpool winning 21 from 22 and 1 draw is so outlandish, if you seen it in FIFA or Football Manager you'd dismiss it for being too unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

he jumped into the goalkeeper who was trying to catch the ball. its a foul everyday of the week

Players are allowed to challenge the keeper for a ball, just can't use their arms, at no point did he look at the keeper, if keeper came out knees up and claimed the ball would never have been a pen. When both players landed keeper could not keep hold of the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ref didn't think so.

Again, would you use this line everytime VAR corrects an incorrect onfield call in the future?

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Again, would you use this line everytime VAR corrects an incorrect onfield call in the future?

I'm hoping that VAR has no future in the game and we go back to the onfield decisions

I'm hoping that VAR has no future in the game and we go back to the onfield decisions

Well that won't happen, so I'm hoping that they make it a much lighter touch implementation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The simple fact is, with a better more competent keeper, United might have easily nabbed a point yesterday. DDG was woeful for both goals and weak in the challenge from VVD with VAR saving his blushes.

It must be time to give Romero a run of league games surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

He also made a great save against Mane. I think it's harsh blaming him for both goals, maybe the disallowed ones.

Utd have to get Cavani in surely to plug the Rashford gap. If they don't get a striker it'll bewilder their fanbase.

• gimli2112 wrote: »
    He also made a great save against Mane. I think it's harsh blaming him for both goals, maybe the disallowed ones.

Utd have to get Cavani in surely to plug the Rashford gap. If they don't get a striker it'll bewilder their fanbase.
    A little late for that I'm afraid.

Can't ever remember the club in such grim and dire circumstances as long as I've been a fan.

The injury to Rashford is yet another amateur hour decision in a long list of 'em from Ole and his background staff.

I'm interested to know what the England manager makes of his mishandling and mis-management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Quazzie wrote: »

He was in a car crash today.

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    He was in a car crash today.

Metaphorically speaking any player at the club currently is in a car crash or part of it

On the actual car crash, hopefully he's ok

It's hard to see a way out of it for you guys at the moment. I genuinely don't know how Liverpool have got to where they're at, at the moment. Even with winning the CL and running City close I thought that was it. Rode their luck a bit early on this year but looking strong now.
    Utd need a lot of work but it's obvious now that step one is a new manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Metaphorically speaking any player at the club currently is in a car crash or part of it

On the actual car crash, hopefully he's ok

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1219220170423590913?s=19

Think he was fine but obviously could be in shock and you'd always wonder if there is whiplash in an accident.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »

Don't forget the save he made to touch Henderson shot on to the post,
    Nothing he could do for the first goal, Second goal was hardly that bad from him and didn't effect the result,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I was surprised the ref didn't blow his whistle for the VVD challenge, it's standard that if you breath on a goalkeeper then a free out will be given, it's soft but it's been like that for donkeys years. Definitely would have a sh1tfit if the same thing happened the other end to Alisson and nothing was given, I'm fairly sure a lot of posters would flip flop their opinions on the challenge if it was for or against them.

I keep thinking Henderson just hit the post but yes that was another.
    Found this funny. Gary's reaction at 2:45 and Carragher trying to hold in the emotion before it finally gets the better of him and he loses the run of himself around 3:40.

• Quazzie wrote: »
    The simple fact is, with a better more competent keeper, United might have easily nabbed a point yesterday. DDG was woeful for both goals and weak in the challenge from VVD with VAR saving his blushes.

I'd agree with the sentiment of giving Romero a go, I think he's a great keeper but think you are also being overly harsh on De Gea

He made two top class saves in quick succession yesterday to keep it at 1-0 early in the second half

I'm not going to blame him for a counter attack goal at the dying seconds of a match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It was a good save but personally I'd chalk that one down to poor finishing from mane. Very clear with the angle from in the goal. Theres so much space for him to hit with the shot where de gea couldn't have got near it ,but he put it way too close to him. Needs to be burying that in the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

EOu_AXmWsAA5Cu3?format=png&name=360x360

This league is weak my arse, Liverpool are just absolutely destroying it.

• Advertisement

Some pundit on SSN just suggested Utd should put a call into Rooney to resolve their striker crises. I think he was serious.

Some pundit on SSN just suggested Utd should put a call into Rooney to resolve their striker crises. I think he was serious.

Luka Jovic is the player United should be in for to the end of the season.

Not having a great time this season but still a good striker and gets goals

Yeah maybe he wanted VAR to make the call as he wasn’t 100%

He certainly didn’t think it was a clear foul.

I get why it was given, just seems soft and we see that time and again with keepers.

Just a shame that such a great strike got chalked off

I'd say he'd come to the exact same conclusion as VAR with all the information and angles.

noodler wrote: »
    I'd say he'd come to the exact same conclusion as VAR with all the information and angles.

Yeah probably for the best I guess. Had it counted we wouldn't have gotten THAT celebration from Salah and Alisson. The fact the United fans had to stay in the ground to see it, and 30mins after, was wonderful.

(still hate VAR)

Yeah probably for the best I guess. Had it counted we wouldn't have gotten THAT celebration from Salah and Alisson. The fact the United fans had to stay in the ground to see it, and 30mins after, was wonderful.

(still hate VAR)

All worked out in the end.

Mo looking riippppeeddddd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

IFAB clarifying what constitutes attacking handball.
    Attacking handball clarifications from the IFAB here. It should help to clear up a few things (via @CollinasErben)

1. As mentioned in the Monday VAR thread, immediacy of the handball is key. IFAB now says that the player who commits the handball must score/assist immediately
    This again confirms handball by Adama Traore would not qualify, as the ball fell to Jimenez, who fed Traore, who fed Jimenez once more.
    Even if the ball hits the hand in the area, if that player plays it to a teammate who assists another player, this is not attacking handball.

2. The time between handball and goal is key.
    A lot of people have asked me what happens if a player handles accidentally in his own area, then runs the length of the pitch (Son Heung-Min-style) to score. This again is not attacking handball.

3. Distance from the penalty area is vital, as the IFAB says attacking ball should only be punishable in and around the penalty area.
    So Liverpool goal vs. Wolves, with a question of the ball hitting the arm of Van Dijk in the centre circle before a long ball, is good.

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1219371595304710144

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Luka Jovic is the player United should be in for to the end of the season.

Not having a great time this season but still a good striker and gets goals

None of Frankfurts front 3 from last year are impressing atm, Jovic not getting an awful lot of minutes mind. Haller at West Ham and Rebic at Milan haven't set the world alight either.

8 months ago I would have loved Jovic at Chelsea, time yet to turn around but those 3 together may well have been lightening in a bottle at Frankfurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A few more of the Man U players might want to follow Pogba's lead and get their own medical people as their manager seems prepared to risk their health for his own needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Romero very lucky he escaped from this crash unhurt this morning.
    Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero is unhurt after crashing his car, the club have confirmed.

Pictures were posted online of a badly damaged Lamborghini wedged under a crash barrier on the A6144 Carrington Spur Road on Monday morning.

Greater Manchester Police confirmed a crash involving a Lamborghini happened at 10:00 GMT, but no-one was injured and there were no other cars involved.

_110581504_82919132_10221895728130217_2548066743662673920_o.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51179661

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Watching Sky Sports News there now and big screen listing possible Villa signings then the camera pans back to so called experts.
    Presenter asks so is x striker a good signing? so called expert replies
    "well i dont know much about him but he must be good because i went onto Instagram and he has 1.2M followers" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dcully wrote: »
    Watching Sky Sports News there now and big screen listing possible Villa signings then the camera pans back to so called experts.
    Presenter asks so is x striker a good signing? so called expert replies
    "well i dont know much about him but he must be good because i went onto Instagram and he has 1.2M followers" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't tell Ed Woodward

I seen the below on the on going Trent v Bissaka debate,
    They seem a lot closer defensively than people think with Bissaka just edging it , But Trent is miles ahead in terms of beingo nthe ball .,

Trent has been dribbled past on 2 occasion more than Bissaka

Bissaka tackle completion is 68 % Trents is 63 %

Trent has created 15 more big chances than Bissaka , Trent has 9 assist to Bissaka's 1,

Trent has lost possession on 22 fewer occasions from 609 more touches ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Without wanting to reopen this debate *again*, they play very different roles for two teams who play very different systems.

Yes, they are nominally right-backs but they are tasked with entirely different things each game - the stats can, therefore, tell whatever story you want.

Given that TAA is primarily charged with generating attacking play and width for Liverpool, is it any surprise he gets dribbled past more? Also, on that same note, is it any surprose he has so many more touches, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Without wanting to reopen this debate *again*, they play very different roles for two teams who play very different systems.

Yes, they are nominally right-backs but they are tasked with entirely different things each game - the stats can, therefore, tell whatever story you want.

Given that TAA is primarily charged with generating attacking play and width for Liverpool, is it any surprise he gets dribbled past more? Also, on that same note, is it any surprose he has so many more touches, etc?

Its the same as saying Firmino is worse than Wood/Pukki/Calvert-Lewin because Wood/Pukki/Calvert-Lewin have all scored more league goals than Firmino.

Stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sergio Romero was probably saved by his car, it's such a low, sleek wedge shape it raised the armco rather than crashing directly into it.

Pep Guardiola wants the League Cup to be ended to help reduce wear and tear.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/20/pep-guardiola-league-cup-manchester-city
    Guardiola has won the League Cup in two of his three full seasons at City, and his side lead Manchester United 3-1 after the first leg of this year’s semi-final, yet he is of the opinion the competition does more harm than good.

“Eliminate competitions, take out this competition,” he said when asked how to relieve fixture congestion over the festive period. “So less games, less competitions, less teams, more quality, less quantity. People can live without football for a while. It’s too much.

“Start the season later after the summer. We have one game a week for a long time and then, after, we start having two or three in one week. In February it is one week [playing], one week [playing], two weeks off. We have two games in two weeks then, after, we have 72 games in one week. It’s a little bit strange.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I seen the below on the on going Trent v Bissaka debate,
    They seem a lot closer defensively than people think with Bissaka just edging it , But Trent is miles ahead in terms of beingo nthe ball .,

Trent has been dribbled past on 2 occasion more than Bissaka

Bissaka tackle completion is 68 % Trents is 63 %

Trent has created 15 more big chances than Bissaka , Trent has 9 assist to Bissaka's 1,

Trent has lost possession on 22 fewer occasions from 609 more touches ,

Do you have the volume of tackles completed. I would think Wan B is higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Do you have the volume of tackles completed. I would think Wan B is higher

Of course it is going to be higher as he defends lots more so has to make more tackles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Two different teams, two different roles that both players perform. Though undoubtedly TAA gives you options that Wan Bissaka just doesn't and what TAA does is far harder to do than what Wan Bissaka does. Wan Bissaka is a good defensive player who might be able to improve a bit on the offensive side of his game. For me, the closest rival to TAA's spot in the England team will end up being Reece James. I think they are both so good that eventually they'll end up accommodating James by playing TAA in midfield.

It's a waste of effort and unnecessary risk for us and them. Liverpool tried to get thrown out by fielding an illegible player and when this didn't work fielded a bunch of children. I'm aware this is not necessarily true but could see City employing similar shady tactics to circumvent the competition in future.

It's great if you win it but even the semi final is a chore being over 2 legs.

Sergio Romero was probably saved by his car, it's such a low, sleek wedge shape it raised the armco rather than crashing directly into it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/20/pep-guardiola-league-cup-manchester-city

It's a bit elitist to say scrap it altogether. If anything just exclude the teams qualified for Europe from it, or make it opt-in for them

But I like it as a competition apart from the 2-leg semi

Two different teams, two different roles that both players perform. Though undoubtedly TAA gives you options that Wan Bissaka just doesn't and what TAA does is far harder to do than what Wan Bissaka does. Wan Bissaka is a good defensive player who might be able to improve a bit on the offensive side of his game. For me, the closest rival to TAA's spot in the England team will end up being Reece James. I think they are both so good that eventually they'll end up accommodating James by playing TAA in midfield.

I have to say when Bissaka was at Palace I thought any of the top four would have a great player if they snapped him up, id have even wanted Liverpool to get him if Trent wasn't similar age ,

But now seeing him at a team have more of the ball than the opposition (most of the time ) I don't think he suited to be full back for a top side he just isn't good enough on the ball ,

England are also a side who 90 % of the time will dominate the ball so i think your spot on with Trent and James even Tripper being ahead of him ,

Rebic at Milan haven't set the world alight either.

He was great at the weekend. 2 goals in a 3-2 win including stoppage time winner and good all-round play apart from that.

I agree about Haller. He's been disappointing in the EPL so far, but Jovic would definitely scores goals at United, wouldn't cost much on loan till the end of the season and would be a good chance to bring his reputation back up.

Win-win for player and club I'd say

It's a bit elitist to say scrap it altogether. If anything just exclude the teams qualified for Europe from it, or make it opt-in for them

But I like it as a competition apart from the 2-leg semi

Stupid comment from Pep, If he isn't interested let his kids have a chance, The likes of Foden don't get enough game time as is so let them have the League cup if he's not interested and rest his stars ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stupid comment from Pep, If he isn't interested let his kids have a chance, The likes of Foden don't get enough game time as is so let them have the League cup if he's not interested and rest his stars ,

Cue moaning by narky commentators about cheapening the competition, ie what Liverpool were told. I'd play the kids and City need to give their young players a chance cos right now 'Phil Foden on 85 minutes' is sending a bad poor signal to anyone in the academy.

• Advertisement

Cue moaning by narky commentators about cheapening the competition, ie what Liverpool were told. I'd play the kids and City need to give their young players a chance cos right now 'Phil Foden on 85 minutes' is sending a bad poor signal to anyone in the academy.

I think it would actually benefit big clubs for doing this,
    Would have guys ready to step in if you get an injury crisis and someone will always surprise you and be further ahead than you think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement