Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

8-10 wrote: »
    It's a bit elitist to say scrap it altogether. If anything just exclude the teams qualified for Europe from it, or make it opt-in for them

But I like it as a competition apart from the 2-leg semi

The 2 leg SFs will probably be scrapped in the near future. It`s a relic of when most rounds of the League Cup were home and away meetings. IMO the semi finals should be played at neutral venues, similar to how the FA Cup SFs used to be, and decided on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The 2 leg SFs will probably be scrapped in the near future. It`s a relic of when most rounds of the League Cup were home and away meetings. IMO the semi finals should be played at neutral venues, similar to how the FA Cup SFs used to be, and decided on the night.

I had no idea the FA Cup stopped doing Semi Finals at neutral venues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I had no idea the FA Cup stopped doing Semi Finals at neutral venues!

I'm guessing he means stopped using OT, Villa Park etc as the semi final locations, and starting using Wembley instead.

They won't get rid of the League Cup and I don't think they should either. Just remove one of the semi final legs and it's grand. I know Scotland run their League Cup off so it is finished before Christmas. Perhaps that's an option, but would take moving some fixtures around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think AWB would be brilliant as the right sided CB in a back 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's a waste of effort and unnecessary risk for us and them. Liverpool tried to get thrown out by fielding an illegible player and when this didn't work fielded a bunch of children. I'm aware this is not necessarily true but could see City employing similar shady tactics to circumvent the competition in future.

It's great if you win it but even the semi final is a chore being over 2 legs.

I would assume, perhaps incorrectly, that clubs aren't obliged to enter it each season, they can probably pull out if they wish, especially with it being a football league tournament and the premier league being a different entity, might be different for clubs actually in the football league.

They won't though cos if nothing else, it's a chance to earn money and play young players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's a waste of effort and unnecessary risk for us and them. Liverpool tried to get thrown out by fielding an illegible player and when this didn't work fielded a bunch of children. I'm aware this is not necessarily true but could see City employing similar shady tactics to circumvent the competition in future.

It's great if you win it but even the semi final is a chore being over 2 legs.

Surely you are not saying that with a straight face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

“Start the season later after the summer. We have one game a week for a long time and then, after, we start having two or three in one week. In February it is one week [playing], one week [playing], two weeks off. We have two games in two weeks then, after, we have 72 games in one week. It’s a little bit strange.”

This is an interesting line in that Pep interview.

I don't understand why these sorts of complaints are always dismissed by UK media as foreign managers moaning. The Christmas schedule is bafflingly busy, there are two, long cup campaigns (does any other major European league have that? I know France is dispensing with their League Cup due to the inability to get TV coverage for it and I don't think Spain, Germany or Italy have a secondary cup competition), and there are major demands on teams who start in August, run through to May and see the majority of their players move on to international tournaments almost every summer.

With the addition of a bigger Club World Cup to take place in 2021, the moving of the World Cup and the AFCON, etc, there are huge demands on people.

Some of the injuries can be attributed to bad management (certainly an argument to be made that Kane is overused, that Rashford could have been rested and that Steve Bruce has always played players during recovery and aggravated injuries while doing so) but the impacts are clearly evident.

As a fan of a big club, I know what my simple solution would be: hoover up more players, rotate the squad and hoard players to compete on all fronts. And this is inarguably bad for the game. So the alternative is to ease the burden, surely!

Keep the Christmas schedule but have the winter break from New Years Day for a fortnight. Use the FA Cup 3rd round as a curtain raiser, make the League Cup a single-leg game and use the other week for more FA Cup games, abandon replays and split gate receipts down the middle. Maybe bring the start of the season back a week, and push out the end by a week. That way you can reduce the midweek games and give teams more respite during the campaign too. And FFS stop expanding international and continental level tournaments and allow people a break every two years.

It doesn't seem like rocket science but when England hobble out in Euro 2020 without Kane, Rashford and god knows who else, maybe someone at the FA might raise their hand and point out that the demands of the English football calendar are crazy, at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Even the Humour Thread isn't sacred anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's a bit elitist to say scrap it altogether. If anything just exclude the teams qualified for Europe from it, or make it opt-in for them

But I like it as a competition apart from the 2-leg semi

Top teams have squads plenty big enough to play the games that are there.

No one says your first 11 has to play.

2 leg semis and replays in the fa cup need to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I think AWB would be brilliant as the right sided CB in a back 3.

I'd agree with you, only saying this at the weekend.

He is excellent defensively, it's his offensive side of his game that lets him down when comparisons are made.

Wonder how he'd fair as a CB or even a DM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Clubs could always scrap or scale back their big pre season fixture list to give players more rest.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Of course it is going to be higher as he defends lots more so has to make more tackles

Well yes... That's why I asked the volume? To see how good the stat actually is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Clubs could always scrap or scale back their big pre season fixture list to give players more rest.........

First team players barely play in pre season. Why would you rest players who return from a 6 week break too?? :confused:

When the league's winter break is in February & you shove in this weeks fixtures to accomodate that, it's not exactly working for their "prestigeous" domestic cup games this weekend.
    Look at Watford. They have games tonight & Thursday plus a good chance of another game on Sunday. But yeah not resting lads in July is coming back to haunt them in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I see it's 1 year since Emilano Sala died. Has anyone been accountable, financially speaking, for the crash that killed him. Was it Cardiff that organised the transport ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ERG89 wrote: »
    First team players barely play in pre season. Why would you rest players who return from a 6 week break too?? :confused:

When the league's winter break is in February & you shove in this weeks fixtures to accomodate that, it's not exactly working for their "prestigeous" domestic cup games this weekend.
    Look at Watford. They have games tonight & Thursday plus a good chance of another game on Sunday. But yeah not resting lads in July is coming back to haunt them in January.

Ahh come on Watford only have a game tonight and on Thursday because of a replay and postponement in the Cup. They were 3-0 up in the 1st game so only really can blame themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ahh come on Watford only have a game tonight and on Thursday because of a replay and postponement in the Cup. They were 3-0 up in the 1st game so only really can blame themselves.

They would be playing the replay this week if there wasn't a league matchday on over the next 3 days, only moved because they have their winter break in 2 weeks time. There wasn't even a date available so the Liverpool game with Villa could be played without the farsical solution they went with. If you don't have space for rest the games suffer, the Christmas schedule people don't want changed but the games are rubbish to watch after the first round as injuries & fatigue catch up on teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ERG89 wrote: »
    They would be playing the replay this week if there wasn't a league matchday on over the next 3 days, only moved because they have their winter break in 2 weeks time. There wasn't even a date available so the Liverpool game with Villa could be played without the farsical solution they went with. If you don't have space for rest the games suffer, the Christmas schedule people don't want changed but the games are rubbish to watch after the first round as injuries & fatigue catch up on teams.

If they had of beat Tranmere when 3-0 up they would be no replay. If Tranmeres pitch was not a mess it would have handled the rain last week and game would have been played then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

cjmc wrote: »
    I see it's 1 year since Emilano Sala died. Has anyone been accountable, financially speaking, for the crash that killed him. Was it Cardiff that organised the transport ?

According to Cardiff chairmen No they did not,

They organised a commercial flight for him but I think it would have involved him having to make along car journey to a different Airport

Agent Willie McKay organised it , He got his son who played for Cardiff to text him below .

43pm - Jack McKay:"My dad has told me that you are going home tomorrow. He could organise a plane to take you direct to Nantes and to come back on Monday, at a time that suits you, so you can get to training on Tuesday."
    7:51pm-Emiliano Sala: "Ah that is great. I was just in the middle of checking if there are some flights to get to Nantes tomorrow."
    7:56pm-McKay: "He said he could organise a plane that would go direct to Nantes."
    7:56pm- Sala: "How much will it cost?"
    7:56pm-McKay: "Nothing. He said if you help me to score goals it's nothing."
    7:59pm-Sala: "Hahaha with pleasure."
    8:00pm- Sala: "We are going to score lots of goals."
    8:01pm - Sala: "I want to leave tomorrow for Nantes at around 11am and come back on Monday night around 9pm to Cardiff if that is possible."
    8:05pm -McKay:"Good. I'll send a message when that's sorted."
    Sunday, 20 January
    5:00pm - McKay: "Hi there is it possible you could come back at seven in the evening on Monday night? Just because the pilot has to get home in the north after he gets to Cardiff."
    5:01pm - Sala:"Hi, Half past seven would be possible."
    5:03pm - McKay:"Yes that's good."
    5:05pm -Sala: "[PICTURE OF LUGGAGE] Can you ask if I can bring this on the plane?"
    5:06pm -McKay: "Good yeah."
    5:07pm - Sala:"But is that going to be OK for the plane?"
    McKay: "Yes there is space on the plane for your luggage."
    5:12pm - Sala: "OK."
    Monday, 21 January
    4:16pm - McKay: "I'm going to call in a moment."
    4.23pm -McKay: "He said that it is the same company."
    4.27pm - Sala:"OK thanks."

Cardiff say they where not aware he took a private plane until he didn't turn up on the commercial flight

Sheffield United fan for the evening. Come on you blades!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Sheffield United fan for the evening. Come on you blades!

Ah come on Liverpool are home and dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

We are in a very strong position, the bookies odds will tell you that. If we continue to play as we have recently they'll win it at a canter. It's not done and dusted no matter how many times people try and sell that narrative.
    If they lost three games in a row they'd still be strong favourites but it would change people's perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Ah come on Liverpool are home and dry

Every little helps.

We are in a very strong position, the bookies odds will tell you that. If we continue to play as we have recently they'll win it at a canter. It's not done and dusted no matter how many times people try and sell that narrative.
    If they lost three games in a row they'd still be strong favourites but it would change people's perspective.

I'm sure if City were in Liverpool's position you would be saying it's done and dusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I'm sure if City were in Liverpool's position you would be saying it's done and dusted.

It's all about record setting.
    The Immortals of 2020.

We see things they'll never see...........

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ofcourse but 30 years of waiting , i know im not counting chickens yet.

Give it to us now so I'd like a double parade on Paddy's day. I'm not debating this though I've said my piece and am happy with my position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

League cup should be under 23s for all premier League sides,all the way through it.. outside the prem play who you like..make it interesting

Danny Rose seems to be Mourinho's latest sacrifice, probably a prime candidate to be honest he's already at war with the Spurs hierarchy since the Summer.

If City don`t beat the Blades tonight and if Liverpool beat Wolves on Thursday it will be 99.9 percent certain that the PL title is going to Anfield.

• Advertisement

If City don`t beat the Blades tonight and if Liverpool beat Wolves on Thursday it will be 99.9 percent certain that the PL title is going to Anfield.

It's already that according to Paddy Power we're 1000 to 1 on to win it. City are 66/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Christ, STILL tryna peddle theres any competition left as to who wins. Bizarre.

pjohnson wrote: »

Amusing to bizarre. Progress

We were all told last season that 30 wins and 97pts is bottling it

No more bizarre than that. There's 16 games left.

We were all told last season that 30 wins and 97pts is bottling it

No more bizarre than that. There's 16 games left.

I'm pretty sure like 3 posters said that.

I'm pretty sure like 3 posters said that.

Right but it's the same thing. Claim it's over so if we go on to finish 2nd it's 'bottled', or if we go on to finish 1st it's 'so what it's been over since January'

It was exactly the same last season and that's what I saw, not just on here

Regardless what anybody else thinks anyway Klopp knows it's not over and the team know it. Full concentration taking it game by game

So yeah, I'm going to be cheering on whomever plays City or Leicester for a while yet, feel free to ignore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Personally I think its borderline embarrassing that some fans won't admit it's over.

Right but it's the same thing. Claim it's over so if we go on to finish 2nd it's 'bottled', or if we go on to finish 1st it's 'so what it's been over since January'

It was exactly the same last season and that's what I saw, not just on here

Lets just clear one thing up, if Liverpool do lose it from here. It will 100% be bottling it.

Lets just clear one thing up, Liverpool do lose it from here. It will 100% be bottling it.

Oh christ that'll really set things off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Quazzie wrote: »
    Personally I think its borderline embarrassing that some fans won't admit it's over.

I'd say it's more embarrassing that opposition fans are getting upset over Liverpool fans being cautious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Lets just clear one thing up, Liverpool do lose it from here. It will 100% be bottling it.

For them to lose it from here it would take some kind of black swan event like an outbreak of ebola at Anfield.

• Advertisement

League cup should be under 23s for all premier League sides,all the way through it.. outside the prem play who you like..make it interesting

The PL clubs U21 sides have already been playing in the EFL Trophy for the last few seasons.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd say it's more embarrassing that opposition fans are getting upset over Liverpool fans being cautious.

It's the hypocrisy of it all that's hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Some save from Henderson

I wonder if he isn't guaranteed first choice at Man U will he look to move on next season.

They'll have it mathematically wrapped up and I still expect to see posts here claiming its not over yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They'll have it mathematically wrapped up and I still expect to see posts here claiming its not over yet!

Oh when it's mathematically wrapped up you'll know all about it.... Some might say it'll be unberable around here :pac:

What hypocrisy would that be exactly?

Nope, can't figure this one out.. what hypocrisy?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Oh when it's mathematically wrapped up you'll no all about it.... Some might say it'll be unberable around here :pac:

Meh cant be much worse than the faux denial.

What hypocrisy would that be exactly?
    Peatys wrote: »
    Nope, can't figure this one out.. what hypocrisy?

I posted it above. If City where in this exact same situation Liverpool fans would say the season is over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

City players getting away the niggly fouls while Sheff Utd players get blown up by the ref when they do it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement