Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

One was the BT football writers podcast with David Preece on it who knows that part of the world well for sure and I'm pretty sure the Guardian pod were talking about it as well.

Might have been the totally football one, James Richardson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Liverpool nearly won nothing last season, in my entire life this will be the first time liverpool will have won the league. They'll eventually go back to being terrible and their fans will crawl back to their holes talking about money ball and alternative tables.
    This is hilarious :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool nearly won nothing last season, in my entire life this will be the first time liverpool will have won the league. They'll eventually go back to being terrible and their fans will crawl back to their holes talking about money ball and alternative tables.

As Liverpool fans have been told for years nearly doesn't cut it. What they did win was the European cup for the 6th time. Arsenal have never won that, unless I'm mistaken?

You must be of a similar age to me or younger. I've never seen Liverpool win a league but will most likely see that this season. But it's 2004 since Arsenal last won one, that could very easily get to 20, 25 or 30 before you know it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Liverpool nearly won nothing last season

:pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bitter and twisted all rolled into one with a splashing of salt :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

You keep it up. It’s thoroughly amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Liverpool nearly won nothing last season

Imagine trying to downplay winning the Champions League with “yeah but you nearly didn’t win it”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Very good side, though world record fees on a keeper and defender so it's expected.

I don't really rate TAA, he's very average made better by stats and the midfield doing his defensive work. Other weaknesses in the team too but Salah and Mane cover over lots of cracks, pool also looking better with every big team in Europe going through a transition

This is one hot hot take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its funny people say this about Liverpool but if you actually step back and look at United under bar Fergie they have always been just a decent top 10 club with an odd success, Yes they won a couple of European cps and the odd league pre Fergie but the likes of Villa and Forrest have done that ,

Fergie had 2 decades which where unbelievable and completely change the club of Manchester United , since he has left its been back to the norm

In fact United have had a good 7 years since compared to most years pre Fergie ,

Saying "in your life time means f*ck all " in football unless your 100 , for instance my sons Life time Liverpool have never lost a Prem game, Footballs been around a lot longer than you or me pal ,

That why I laugh when I hear the " United way " it should be called the " Fergie way" fans really don't appreciate just how good that man was ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Fergie had 2 decades which where unbelievable and completely change the club of Manchester United , since he has left its been back to the norm

They've had two successful, exceptional managers in their history. Unless there's a Ferguson type waiting in the wings who's going to get his first 4 years with no expectations, then it's more of the same for them from here on out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Peatys wrote: »
    They've had two successful, exceptional managers in their history. Unless there's a Ferguson type waiting in the wings who's going to get his first 4 years with no expectations, then it's more of the same for them from here on out.

Ole could be that man. Just needs more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭This is it

I can't believe how many people he managed to bait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oh my!!! Add some vinegar to ALL THAT SALT

This is it wrote: »

Yeah a successful fishing trip. Tons of happy jibes about how salty and ridiculous his posting is. VICTORY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Orange2 should change your name to Lemons2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Martinelli looks a superb talent.

He'll join a big team in 2-3 years time.

• This is it wrote: »

It's a bit of a laugh watching it unfold though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

MD1990 wrote: »

A big team haha nice pop at arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Top (net) spenders in Europe since 2015.

https://www.football365.com/news/europes-biggest-net-spends-since-2015-liverpool-29th

1) Manchester City. Net spend: £668.6m
    2) Manchester United. Net spend: £483.8m
    3) Paris Saint-Germain. Net spend: £444.6m
    4) AC Milan. Net spend: £409.94m
    5) Barcelona. Net spend: £337.8m
    6) Inter Milan. Net spend: £312.3m
    7) Arsenal. Net spend: £292.64m
    8) Juventus. Net spend: £288.5m
    9) Everton. Net spend: £250.5m
    10) Brighton. Net spend: £229.54m
    11) Wolves. Net spend: £225.2m
    12) Real Madrid. Net spend: £217.5m

Interesting that the PL has 6 of the top 12 teams in Europe, and that 5 of those teams are teams that currently not CL clubs. Also shows the spending power of the mid-table PL clubs now, and ability to attract players from the continent that was not possible 10 or 20 years ago.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Brighton, wtf?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Brighton, wtf?

My thoughts exactly.

They've had a few duds in the region of 10-20m and, I guess, they don't make any real money from sales as they've not let the likes of Dunk move on for big cash, and they haven't produced any young talents that they could cash in on.

But still, that looks mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Southampton must be off the scale at the other end of that table.

FitzShane wrote: »

https://www.football365.com/news/europes-biggest-net-spends-since-2015-liverpool-29th

The MUTD paragraph opens with..

"Wow. That is quite some era of underachievement. To only receive £20m or more for three players – Schneiderlin, di Maria and Lukaku – in five years is almost miraculous."

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What the story with Fernándes?
    Is he that good, seems to be be spoken about since the summer before last, but how come. Its just United in for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was watching the review of the pl 11-12. Looking at the goals I think half of them would be chalked off by Var

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm still waiting for the explanation by MNG of how Liverpool being worse, and everyone else the same, makes the standard of the league better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Peatys wrote: »
    The MUTD paragraph opens with..

"Wow. That is quite some era of underachievement. To only receive £20m or more for three players – Schneiderlin, di Maria and Lukaku – in five years is almost miraculous."

:)

That's a huge part of Liverpool's success. Recruitment has been excellent, with Mane, Salah and Firmino being bought for something in the region of 100m, and then you've Milner on a free, Robertson for thruppence...

But the other side of that are absolutely taking poor Bournemouth to the cleaners repeatedly, and going well with sales in general.

Nearly half the cost of that front three were paid by Ibe, Solanke, and that full back who was championship level at best.
    And we'll probably get another 25m for Harry Wilson, although he might actually be worth that.

You can sign as many duds as you want so long as you can flip them for a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

MD1990 wrote: »

1/10 poor effort.

FitzShane wrote: »

3) Paris Saint-Germain. Net spend: £444.6m
    4) AC Milan. Net spend: £409.94m
    5) Barcelona. Net spend: £337.8m
    6) Inter Milan. Net spend: £312.3m
    7) Arsenal. Net spend: £292.64m
    8) Juventus. Net spend: £288.5m
    9) Everton. Net spend: £250.5m
    10) Brighton. Net spend: £229.54m
    11) Wolves. Net spend: £225.2m
    12) Real Madrid. Net spend: £217.5m

Interesting that the PL has 6 of the top 12 teams in Europe, and that 5 of those teams are teams that currently not CL clubs. Also shows the spending power of the mid-table PL clubs now, and ability to attract players from the continent that was not possible 10 or 20 years ago.

Ffs just another table Everton finish in mid table.

• Advertisement

1/10 poor effort.

To be fair Arsenal haven't challenged for a league title or CL in how many years?

Big name but they're way off the pace in terms of challenging for anything major.

To be fair Arsenal haven't challenged for a league title or CL in how many years?

Big name but they're way off the pace in terms of challenging for anything major.

True, but Arsenal are still a big club/team. Having a bad time of it the last couple of years, but won’t be down there forever. As everyone knows 2/3 seasons is a long time in football. Not going to predict Arsenal to be up there challenging then, but I’m not going to write us off either. Just look at where Man Utd and Liverpool were only 2 or 3 seasons ago and look at them now.

True, but Arsenal are still a big club/team. Having a bad time of it the last couple of years, but won’t be down there forever. As everyone knows 2/3 seasons is a long time in football. Not going to predict Arsenal to be up there challenging then, but I’m not going to write us off either. Just look at where Man Utd and Liverpool were only 2 or 3 seasons ago and look at them now.

Newcastle are still a big club/team that doesn't make them worthy title challengers. Everton are one of the most successful teams in England, that doesn't mean in 2-3 years that's going to return? We can only base our opinion on recent events and Arsenal have shown nothing to support the claim they will be challenging.

You opinion is essentially because X team was challenging years ago they should challenge again soon?

Arsenal have shown nothing of note in the past decade or longer that they will progress.

Liverpool were sh1te for years and then seemed to have a title challenge or two then fall away until Klopp came in where steady progression was made.

United were always going to crumble once SAF left. Maybe not to the extent that many thought, but I personally thought they would turn into Liverpool and go years without winning a league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gbear wrote: »
    That's a huge part of Liverpool's success. Recruitment has been excellent, with Mane, Salah and Firmino being bought for something in the region of 100m, and then you've Milner on a free, Robertson for thruppence...

But the other side of that are absolutely taking poor Bournemouth to the cleaners repeatedly, and going well with sales in general.

Nearly half the cost of that front three were paid by Ibe, Solanke, and that full back who was championship level at best.
    And we'll probably get another 25m for Harry Wilson, although he might actually be worth that.

You can sign as many duds as you want so long as you can flip them for a profit.

Brad Smith was the full back right?

Eddie Howes transfer prowess has been great for Liverpool literally money for nothing.

Newcastle are still a big club/team that doesn't make them worthy title challengers. Everton are one of the most successful teams in England, that doesn't mean in 2-3 years that's going to return? We can only base our opinion on recent events and Arsenal have shown nothing to support the claim they will be challenging.

You opinion is essentially because X team was challenging years ago they should challenge again soon?

Arsenal have shown nothing of note in the past decade or longer that they will progress.

Liverpool were sh1te for years and then seemed to have a title challenge or two then fall away until Klopp came in where steady progression was made.

United were always going to crumble once SAF left. Maybe not to the extent that many thought, but I personally thought they would turn into Liverpool and go years without winning a league.

Arsenal finished 2nd in the league 3 and a half seasons ago and got to the Europa league final last season. Big difference there from Newcastle and Evertons recent seasons.

I never said that Arsenal will definitely challenge in the next few seasons, just said that it’s possible. A lot more likely than Newcastle and Everton who you mentioned. The only club that has been consistently challenging over the past decade has been Man City and Chelsea (who have yo yoed themselves). Everyone else has been in and out of the champions league, title challenges.

Again I’ll reiterate that I’m not saying Arsenal are definitely going to challenge, don’t want to sound like a deluded fan. However I fully expect Arsenal to be challenging for top 4 from next season and go on from there. They will be there or thereabouts along with the other big clubs in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

pjohnson wrote: »
    Brad Smith was the full back right?

Eddie Howes transfer prowess has been great for Liverpool literally money for nothing.

left back, but yeah that's him alright. I can't actually remember him playing any games for Bournemouth either. But I guess they needed bodies to flesh our their squad after getting promoted.

Does anyone know if Bournemouth have a head of recruitment or who deals with their transfers, as their record is quite poor overall in the last few years with big transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Arsenal finished 2nd in the league 3 and a half seasons ago and got to the Europa league final last season. Big difference there from Newcastle and Evertons recent seasons.

I never said that Arsenal will definitely challenge in the next few seasons, just said that it’s possible. A lot more likely than Newcastle and Everton who you mentioned. The only club that has been consistently challenging over the past decade has been Man City and Chelsea (who have yo yoed themselves). Everyone else has been in and out of the champions league, title challenges.

You're talkng to someone who thought it was Liverpool's year when Kenny Dalglish was in charge, so when he was eventually right he's naturally going to say it's been coming.

Better off leaving him be.

I think that, apart from the outstanding Liverpool, the league is very poor this year. The fact that Spurs are on their 2nd manager, who himself is doing badly, Arsenal their 3rd, we don't even need a discussion on Ole, there are question over Pep's performance and the only one who might possibly scrape a free pass is Lampard, shows what those clubs think of how they are doing.

Other fans may think differently. But why do they, particularly Liverpool fans, really care? Why the need to convince people it's s a strong league? When Cork City won the double, I don't recall one City fan caring that Dundalk had a tough year, lost key players, had come off a very successful period that could not be sustained yada yada.

I never said that Arsenal will definitely challenge in the next few seasons, just said that it’s possible.

Using the absolute freak result of Leicester winning league as the year doesn't hold much weight. It fact, Arsenal finished 10 points behind them in a year they should have won the title given the other big teams shortcomings.

Arsenal have finished 2nd in once in 13 seasons, soon to be 14.

In relation to your second point. As I said, anything is possible, but there is nothing of note to show that it will happen other than hope & bias

I think that, apart from the outstanding Liverpool, the league is very poor this year. The fact that Spurs are on their 2nd manager, who himself is doing badly, Arsenal their 3rd, we don't even need a discussion on Ole, there are question over Pep's performance and the only one who might possibly scrape a free pass is Lampard, shows what those clubs think of how they are doing.

Other fans may think differently. But why do they, particularly Liverpool fans, really care? Why the need to convince people it's s a strong league? When Cork City won the double, I don't recall one City fan caring that Dundalk had a tough year, lost key players, had come off a very successful period that could not be sustained yada yada.

Exactly, if I was a Liverpool fan I wouldn’t care less what opposition fans think or say when they win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Exactly, if I was a Liverpool fan I wouldn’t care less what opposition fans think or say when they win the league.

We don't but we need something to debate while we're running away with it

• Advertisement

In real life yes, but boards is for wasting time anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If I was a Liverpool fan I guess I would be filled with insecurities about what other fans think of how strong the league is and spend my time posting statistics that proves that some strangers opinion are not necessarily unimpeachable.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It's not won yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

the PL is stranger than it has ever been.

It is a fact. More money than ever. all 7 teams through in Europe. Best coaches in the world also.

Fans trying to make the league is weaker are kidding themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’m catching up on MOTD. Harry Maguire isn’t up to much, is he? At fault for both goals. If that was Phil Jones he would have been ridiculed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

doc_17 wrote: »
    I’m catching up on MOTD. Harry Maguire isn’t up to much, is he? At fault for both goals. If that was Phil Jones he would have been ridiculed.

I think the problem is United. Nobody joins united and matches their level at their previous club or kicks on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think the problem is United. Nobody joins united and matches their level at their previous club or kicks on.

de Gea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Drumpot wrote: »

Maybe. If that’s the case the manager has gotta go. If they have so much faith in Carrick then they should give him the job. Over the past 7 years every camera that pans to the struggling Man U manager has Carrick sitting beside them. What exactly is his role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

8-10 wrote: »
    de Gea?

I assume he is not referring to the current version of United.

Huge header from Henderson. Great start

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement