Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Get in, Arnold as my captain.

At this stage I’m wondering if it would be more satisfying as a united fan if Liverpool won every game in the League but the draw with Ole’s United. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Drumpot wrote: »

At this stage I’m wondering if it would be more satisfying as a united fan if Liverpool won every game in the League but the draw with Ole’s United. :pac:

I think, much like a Liverpool fan, they really wouldn't care.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That was a serious performance from Wolves.

Really important win for Liverpool- keeps the run going and 1 more win nearer the prize.

Great to see Fab back but not sure on Mané injury. At least our next few fixtures will allow him to take a break if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think, much like a Liverpool fan, they really wouldn't care.

Seems like some fans get more upset and obsessed (on both sides) with rival teams then others, I’m not sure they all share that sentiment. I think it would be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 24 highlights
    Aston Villa V Watford

Bournemouth V Brighton

Palace V Southampton

Everton V Newcastle

Sheff Utd V Man City

Chelsea V Arsenal

Leicester V West Ham

Spurs V Norwich

Man Utd V Burnley

Wolves V Liverpool

67 Liverpool
    51 Man City
    48 Leicester
    40 Chelsea
    34 Man Utd Spurs Wolves
    33 Sheff Utd
    31 Southampton
    30 Arsenal Palace Everton Burnley Newcastle
    25 Brighton Villa
    23 West Ham Bournemouth Watford
    17 Norwich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Wolves are after letting a couple of players go, so I really do think they could do with a player or two, but if they get a bit more depth to that squad you could definitely see them sneaking in to 4th. They've only got about 4 attacking players left in the squad who've played all season.

Chelsea and Utd aren't particularly stern opposition for it. If they put a decent string a form together they could easily be in with a shout with a few games to go.

What's interesting is that they've only actually won 8 games this season, despite usually looking pretty good. They need to be doing better than that if they want to have a real chance.

With Liverpool playing West Ham (A) and Southampton (H) before City play Spurs on Sunday 2 February, Liverpool could be 22pts clear before City have a chance to close the gap again. It's utterly insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That was just a brilliant game of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Altho, I see what you're trying to do.

In all seriousness - genuine question to Liverpool fans

Invincible League or League & FA Cup?

Taking CL out of the equation as I assume if they won league and CL it would be FA cup for the treble.

Invincible league. Not close. The FA Cup doesn’t touch it in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Crouch, Ince, Cole and that host guy were having a few during the game I think and can't wait to get back to the hotel and finish off the drinking properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Invincible League or League & FA Cup?

Invincible League without a doubt. It'd be a nice bonus to win the FA Cup but in terms of achievements it would be absolutely dwarfed by going unbeaten in the PL for an entire season. You don't get a trophy for it but going unbeaten is a massively more difficult and impressive feat than winning the FA Cup.

When people look back on Arsenal's golden era do they talk about the invincible season or that time they won the FA Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Drumpot wrote: »

I said this in the Liverpool thread a few days ago, but in a weird way that draw has helped Liverpool. The whole talk and hoolabaloo around 'who will be the first team to take points off of Liverpool' would be insane. Can you imagine a scenario of played 22, won 22 and the intense pressure going into every game having to win every game, just for some record. I'm glad that first 'blip' is out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Indeed.
    The FA cup is won every year by someone , unbeaten season less so.

EPL and Champions League is where its at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Trent is now the first ever Prem defender to get 10 assists in multiple seasons, He's done it back to back and he's only 21, He's on another level

Trent is now the first ever Prem defender to get 10 assists in multiple seasons, He's done it back to back and he's only 21, He's on another level

I'm getting a serious sense of deja vu reading this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Rose linked to 6 PL clubs now. How is he still at Spurs feels like they've been trying to get rid for at least the last two/three years.

Wolves are a serious good outfit ,
    Its a bit mad because when you look at there back 3 none of them are really stand out defenders , All 3 of them started as midfielders and two of them have only recently switched to the back ,

There just a really really well coached side , Manger is criminally underrated

I wonder will strengthen at the back in the summer ,

Although they will also probably need someone to come in to challenge Mouthino who will be 34 by the start of next season ,

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

If I was a fan the double and another trophy would always be a bigger attraction.

The chance to join Preston, Arsenal, Spurs and the other teams who had variations of no losses/most wins/most wins from the start od season/most wins in calendar years and all those other stats, they're nice...but there is no prize.

I'd be the same a prefect season is really nothing more than bragging rights. Sole priority this year is to win the league. I couldn't care less about the FA Cup and to a lesser extent the CL but I'd prefer to win them than a perfect Season *

the * being Utd

• Advertisement

If I was a fan the double and another trophy would always be a bigger attraction.

The chance to join Preston, Arsenal, Spurs and the other teams who had variations of no losses/most wins/most wins from the start od season/most wins in calendar years and all those other stats, they're nice...but there is no prize.

If they go the season unbeaten and beat 100 points ,they will go down as the greatest ever side in a Premier league season , That's something that is a prize if you ask me ( don't forget the little gold thropy for doing it )

I read today they have 20 points more than United's treble winners at this stage of the season ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/1220648415446622210?s=19

With some of the comments from Ole this morning I think he'll be at United next season. Great news if that happens.

He really is fascinated with Liverpool and Klopp though. I wonder does he actually believe he can turn it around at United and do similar to what Klopp has done at Liverpool. At least Klopp had success at other clubs, whereas Oles achievements amount to relegating Cardiff and not winning the league at Molde while manager there (they won it before and after he left).

Edit: click the tweet for more quotes.

If they go the season unbeaten and beat 100 points ,they will go down as the greatest ever side in a Premier league season...

No they won't. Obviously. Because that's just an opinion.

They'll be added to the debate on the greatest side. And some people will say "wasn't that the year that all the other clubs sacked their managers or perhaps should have. And others will say "ah but they didn't win all the trophies available". And so on.

Because unlike the name on the FA Cup, that's subjective.

They'll be added to the debate on the greatest side. And some people will say "wasn't that the year that all the other clubs sacked their managers or perhaps should have. And others will say "ah but they didn't win all the trophies available". And so on.

Because unlike the name on the FA Cup, that's subjective.

Ok sorry maybe I should have worded if differently they will have had the greatest Premier league season ever ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

TitianGerm wrote: »
    At least Klopp had success at other clubs, whereas Oles achievements amount to relegating Cardiff and not winning the league at Molde while manager there (they won it before and after he left).

Solskjaer won back to back titles and the Norwegian Cup in his first 3 season spell at Molde.

I see Man United fans were singing about killing Ed Woodward again this week at Old Trafford. Sickening enough.

https://twitter.com/pokeefe1/status/1220658520686768134?s=19

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1220329401067429893?s=19

• Advertisement

Nunu wrote: »
    Solskjaer won back to back titles and the Norwegian Cup in his first 3 season spell at Molde.

If he wasn't an ex player and someone told you United are getting a manger on the back of wining back to back titles in Norway you'd think it was a joke

Who would you say is the greatest single season PL side so far, and why?

Nunu wrote: »

What the feck was I reading then yesterday? The fecking article said Molde hadn't won a league during his time there!!

Edit: it was about his return to Molde after Cardiff.

If he wasn't an ex player and someone told you United are getting a manger on the back of wining back to back titles in Norway you'd think it was a joke

Yes I would. Thanks for that?

I was just highlighting that his achievements amounted to more than in the post I quoted.

FitzShane wrote: »

I'd say the City side who got a total of 198 points in two season that's unreal ,
    But if Liverpool out do that lets say 199 are they better even if they only win 1 title with that amount ? Who's to know

Its very hard to say .

People say United's treble winners but cup's succes can be purely down to the draw ,So I don't think its right to include cups when talking about greatest Prem side's

• Advertisement

Utd won 3 in a row..99/00/01. Not even my favourite Utd side. But they’d have to be recognised as the best so far based on that.

I'd say the City side who got a total of 198 points in two season that's unreal ,
    But if Liverpool out do that lets say 199 are they better even if they only win 1 title with that amount ? Who's to know

Its very hard to say .

People say United's treble winners but cup's succes can be purely down to the draw ,So I don't think its right to include cups when talking about greatest Prem side's

He asked about the best single season?

So it'd be United 98/99, Arsenal invincibles, City Centurions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great that Mourinho & Ole both using Klopp got time to keep them in the job for a while I hope.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He asked about the best single season?

So it'd be United 98/99, Arsenal invincibles, City Centurions etc.

Fair enough but we are talking about greatest Prem team and United 98/99 got 79 points so for me they are out ,
    In a one off season it has to be Arsenal or City ,

If we are talking best Prem team over a period of years then its United 3 in a row or possibly current City (depending where they end and points this season )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

This Liverpool team could go undefeated this season, win back to back CLs along with their 97 points last season and you’ll still have united fans saying they need to win 5 PLs in a row to be considered the best. A united fan will never admit to a Liverpool team being better, and after this season (if it keeps going as is) visa versa. Pointless arguing over it.

I would say I dunno, Blackburn or ManU or Arsenal or Liverpool or Chelsea or Man City or who really cares. Because it's all just opinions and a little boring and not worth fans here who picked a random team getting too bothered about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I see Man United fans were singing about killing Ed Woodward again this week at Old Trafford. Sickening enough.

My understanding from speaking to regular match goers and ST holders is that they're sick and tired of the Glazers and their puppet Woodward effectively raping Man United, using their brand, fans and historic success as a way to make money for their personal wealth. Not enough really gets spoken about from this side.

It's clear as day they have no interest in the footballing side of things, take a look at Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an example of a team they have destroyed.

For many of them, it's more than just a 'football club', it's a way of life, a religion. Spending hard earned money week in, week out on owners that do not share the same drive or ambition but in it for the money. You could argue some owners are similar but will at least be in it for the football side of things. Man United is a business first, football club second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That is some sicking sh1t right there and that isn't just a handful of fans either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

We have the Kick it Out campaign

We have the Rainbow Laces campaign

Do we now need a please don't threaten to Kill campaign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I would say I dunno, Blackburn or ManU or Arsenal or Liverpool or Chelsea or Man City or who really cares. Because it's all just opinions and a little boring and not worth fans here who picked a random team getting too bothered about.

Yeh guys! Having opinion on a topic is boring. Hell why even have a forum?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Leicester City winning the league will always be the greatest achievement by any team in winning the Premier league. Other teams have and will win it with greater style and drama but no team will win it out of nowhere like they did.

Leicester City winning the league will always be the greatest achievement by any team in winning the Premier league. Other teams have and will win it with greater style and drama but no team will win it out of nowhere like they did.

Great achievement only trumped by Forrest
    but that's pre premier league and I know to a lot of people there's no such thing as pre sky football ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was very impressed with Wolves last night. Even though Liverpool weren't on song .Wolves could easily have been 2 up in the first few minutes. If they play like that v man u they will destroy them and put the final nail in oles tenure

Yeh guys! Having opinion on a topic is boring. Hell why even have a forum?

You are correct, all topics are interesting, and if I think a particular topic is boooooooooring that is the exact same as me saying the forum is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

That's shocking! Not in the sense they want him dead but the lyrics of that chant sound like it was put together by a few of 4th class kids on lunch break:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Imagine supporting a team who is:

- one spot off CL qualification in January
    - favourites for the Europa League
    - in the League Cup Semi Final
    - against lower league opposition in next round of FA Cup
    - have a front 3 who've scored more goals than Salah, Mané and Firmino this season
    - have a world cup winning captain to return from injury
    - about to spend 60m+ on a promising Portuguese midfielder

...and complaining about management destroying the club, singing about killing executives and wanting to oust a club legend from being manager after less than a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Surprised that hasn't been picked up by sky..

8-10 wrote: »

- have a front 3 who've scored more goals than Salah, Mané and Firmino this season

...and complaining about management destroying the club, singing about killing executives and wanting to oust a club legend from being manager after less than a year

Is this a case now? I thought it was 39 all after Sunday and with Bobby scoring last night it would be 40 to Liverpool now, i dunno i don't pay attention to who scored what goals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Hugo Lloris playing for united now?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Couple of changes for you. If you're going to have a dig. At least be correct with your 'facts'

- one spot off CL qualification in January - Correct and on course to finish on 54 points. That would have you finishing 8th last season.
    - favourites for the Europa League. Inter Milan & Sevilla are favourites
    - in the League Cup Semi Final. True, 3-1 down going into the 2nd leg away to City.
    - against lower league opposition in next round of FA Cup. Correct.
    - have a front 3 who've scored more goals than Salah, Mané and Firmino this season. Is this true after last nights game?
    - have a world cup winning captain to return from injury. Lloris was captain, he plays for Spurs.
    - about to spend 60m+ on a promising Portuguese midfielder. Are we? Deal looks like it's off.

...and complaining about management destroying the club (Actually complaining about the Glazers and Woodward), singing about killing executives (Unfortunately this is true) and wanting to oust a club legend from being manager after less than a year (Correct, just because he's a club legend doesn't gives him a free pass, many other clubs have done the same)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement