Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Christ, you're going to die?

****, that's some OTT anger expression.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

noodler wrote: »

It wasnt just 1 or 2 fellas either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

2nd different game it's happened at OT this season. Not a minority & not a once off.

Are Pool fans really going to go down a classy route? Jaysis

That's a remarkable comment.

Nice to know a resort to whataboutery is what you consider the appropriate response to crowd chanting death threats at family friendly events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

A lot of Utd fans on here saying they don't agree with the chants. But. Well that but sounds like they really do agree with those sicking chants.

A lot of Utd fans on here saying they don't agree with the chants. But. Well that but sounds like they really do agree with those sicking chants.

In fairness z there's absolutely no reason to believe any utd poster on here agreed with those chants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

tbh Utd are normally better than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

gimli2112 wrote: »

Not really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

In fairness z there's absolutely no reason to believe any utd poster on here agreed with those chants.

I think there was one lad in the United thread saying the chants were right and Woodward deserved to be threatened. He was rightly called out by the rest though from what I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It doesn't surprise me. Most big teams have fans now that are borderline basket cases when it comes to their "support".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think there was one lad in the United thread saying the chants were right and Woodward deserved to be threatened. He was rightly called out by the rest though from what I saw.

Actually this is innacurate, this forum really is awful for misinformation and misinterpretation. I said:
    Drumpot wrote: »
    I only had this discussion with a friend a few weeks ago about this sort of stuff.

I won’t be part of it but I won’t completely condemn it either. I don’t see a club as a business nor does any real fan. Just because somebody runs it as a business does not mean they should still be treated with respect or afforded any protection from the ire of fans. They have been exploiting fans of differnt sports for over 2 decades now, the only thing that surprises me is how long it’s taken us to get to this point.

Woodwards getting paid millions for his job and he’s a major player in the troubles the club has had and would of had if SAF wasn’t such a genius. You mess with what effectively is Comparable with a religion to many, then you accept the risks, which includes this. I think our fans have been far too passive with Woodward and our owners.

I won’t be apologetic on this because I think people quite often excuse what these sort of people do because it’s business but they are raping the club badly. So f**k Woodward and f**k the glazers, they’ve made a fortune on the back of the club I and many others love. I won’t be out to kill them but I won’t shed any tears or lose any sleep if their actions cause them harm. They have now been warned that some fans are cranking up their hatred towards them. The only reason they won’t sell is cause they can milk the club for more money so it’s their own fault what happens from here on.

And then the righteous online warriors got their knickers in a twist as if I was leading the chants. This sort of crap (terrible chants) happens all the time at games and if it’s gonna happen (to players, refs, clubs and managers) I’m ok with it being targeted/redirected at awful CEOs/owners.

I’m not saying I want them hurt, I just don’t care anymore then anybody here really cares about the workers dieing in the construction of the World Cup stadiums. Does that keep people awake at night? The thought of people dieing every day ? It’s highly unlikely anything will come of it anyway because this is the way extreme fans vent their anger.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    It doesn't surprise me. Most big teams have fans now that are borderline basket cases when it comes to their "support".

Exactly. This sport has hooligans and quite vicious sh*t happens at grounds every week. There are death chants about Hillsboro and Munich but never mind that, that’s normal and it’s not the same as chanting about a poor innocent CEO . That’s crossing the line because we aren’t used to that!!! People dieing in building our next World Cup but don’t mind that, a man in a suit had his name sung in a nasty way. Clubs are being used to whitewash countries but never mind that a nasty song is being sung about a CEO. Oh and a United fan didn’t condemn it completely therefore he is saying the chant is right and just and is probably plotting a hit as we speak. This place can go full on Joe Duffy outrage so easily!

Sure one idiot tried to imply I was condoning fans killing Woodward. This sport has a very ugly side to it. Just because pretty much every fan ignores that side most of the time doesn’t mean it’s not there. The context of my conversation with my friend (that was in my post above) was that I was surprised nobody had actually gotten hurt considering how passionate and aggressive fans can get. Woodward is in the firing line now , so I don’t see how it’s any different to the same crap that happens every week and every game I goto at Old Trafford. And it’s far worse when United are playing Liverpool.

The bleeding heart disingenuous crap in this place can be nauseating at times. But it’s also a fascinating example of how quickly people can misrepresent something and sully a persons name quite quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Isn't this all a bit much though? Saying it's ok to target with these chants and that no sleep would be lost, if harm comes to employees/owners of a club just because a football team you support isn't doing as good as it should be doing?

No 'love' of any sports team is ever worth that kind of crap to be honest, some just take sport to the ultra seriousness that they think that's ok.

Lots of other nasty things being sung, which are usually condemned in most quarters btw, doesn't mean it's fine just because a club you support isn't as good.

I think justifying that is bat**** insane. I say that as someone who has no patience or interest in the Man U/Liverpool dick slapping that goes on in here all the time. Like a creche full of babies with Match/Shoot posters on the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not only singing that they are going to kill him but also to then chop him up head to toe, its way over the top

not steeling your post but just want to show in full how classy united fans have become :D

Why don't they wear those green and yellow scarves?

That broke the Glazers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That broke the Glazers.

Didn't those fans all leave and actually do something about their dislike on how the run was run by starting their own club.

They were easily replaced at Old Trafford when they left though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Didn't those fans all leave and actually do something about their dislike on how the run was run by starting their own club.

They were easily replaced at Old Trafford when they left though.

FC United, groumdshared with Bury for years but have their own stadium now. play in 7th tier now. 2 leagues off Conference. Average 3500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

That broke the Glazers.

it probably would have boosted norwich citys coffers in the january window , the last thing they need is a club outbidding them for someone like troy deeney or even his lesser equivalent Ighalo :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

FC United, groumdshared with Bury for years but have their own stadium now. play in 7th tier now. 2 leagues off Conference. Average 3500

Largest fan owned club in the U.K. Each member gets a vote. It’s a very cool thing I’d say.

• Advertisement

First the chants about killing Ed Woodward, and now this (supposedly).

There is probably a family inside that house FFS.

https://twitter.com/_WoManUnited_/status/1222273575698206721?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

FitzShane wrote: »
    First the chants about killing Ed Woodward, and now this (supposedly).

There is probably a family inside that house FFS.

https://twitter.com/_WoManUnited_/status/1222273575698206721?s=19

If it's true, it's disgraceful. A handful of idiots can make a whole fanbase embarrassed.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a PR stunt created by Woodie's new PR man Neil Ashton all the same.

Oh its wrong but its probably s PR stunt so its ok all the same.

Got to loved deluded fans trying to justify it in someway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Nope, not what I said. I think it's a disgrace if it is true. Do you know for certain that it is his house in the video and it is taken tonight?

Deluded?

Ironic.

House was attacked, but thankfully family not at home.

https://twitter.com/TelegraphDucker/status/1222284424584355840?s=19

• Advertisement

Wow, very sad state of affairs.

They tried bullying Rooney too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shocking stuff altogether.

A long way from flying planes over the stadium ti get rid of a manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Scummy behaviour but thats unfortunately the world of today. I am enjoying the high quality hand wringing from lads whose own fan base have a section of supporters that have engaged in less than wholesome carry on for decades, bravo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A new low for Manchester United.

Disgusting behaviour from them thugs.

Scummy behaviour but thats unfortunately the world of today. I am enjoying the high quality hand wringing from lads whose own fan base have a section of supporters that have engaged in less than wholesome carry on for decades, bravo.

Bravo sir! Must get a dig in at other fans. Bravo again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mad stuff really. Imagine being at home with your family and a small army of headbangers turning up at your front gate firing off flares.

Bravo sir! Must get a dig in at other fans. Bravo again.

From a liverpool fan whose user name is celebrating man city winning the league over United, youd know sir, so I'll take that as a compliment. :)

Jesus Christ actually have lads here trying to point score and completely missing the point.

I'm fairly sure that Ed Woodward's wife has seen the videos of Man United fans, in their hundreds singing about how they are going to kill Ed Woodward. Inside Old Trafford. Where he works.

Now they have targeted and attacked his & her house where they live with a young family, and again sang about how they will kill him. Let alone how Ed Woodward feels, imagine how his wife feels, and how safe she feels.

It's ridiculous carry on. It started off with flying planes and this is what it has now built up to. But of course, continue to try and point score instead of looking at what the real problem here is. Spoilt rotten growing up under Ferguson and a few barren years and this is what comes of it.

Embarrassing stuff.

Imagine if there was actually a really poor season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

FitzShane wrote: »
    Jesus Christ actually have lads here trying to point score and completely missing the point.

I'm fairly sure that Ed Woodward's wife has seen the videos of Man United fans, in their hundreds singing about how they are going to kill Ed Woodward. Inside Old Trafford. Where he works.

Now they have targeted and attacked his & her house where they live with a young family, and again sang about how they will kill him. Let alone how Ed Woodward feels, imagine how his wife feels, and how safe she feels.

It's ridiculous carry on. It started off with flying planes and this is what it has now built up to. But of course, continue to try and point score instead of looking at what the real problem here is. Spoilt rotten growing up under Ferguson and a few barren years and this is what comes of it.

There were far more than hundreds signing it in Old Trafford.

But that's what happens. You'll get a few unstable lads who think I'll go down to his house now and intimidate him. Run him out of Manchester. Sure all them fellas singing will back me up and they'll be proud of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Millwall supporters are appalled.

Seriously though, even Rick Parry, Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre combined didn't get this sort of abuse
    It would be nice to think this was a bunch of Mosside gangsta' types who have latched onto the United discord but I'm probably being too generous.

6 wrote: »
    Embarrassing stuff.

Imagine if there was actually a really poor season.

Less or more embarrassing than a player getting death threats for thinking about leaving a club?

The point is, every club has scummy elements that take things way beyond what is/should be acceptable, people would do well to remember that before getting their panties in a bunch.

Yeah I wouldn't be letting a bunch of scummy pool fans speak for me either if the shoe was on the other foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hopefully they will be able to track them down & make an example of them. I don't know is it brazen cheek or sheer stupidity that would make them actually record some of it and put it on social media. Do they think it will change anything or impress anyone with intelligence

• Advertisement

Imagine putting on a balaclava to go round to someone's house to throw a flare into his garden.

Next thing they'll shove a potato in his exhaust pipe.

It's all such a pointless waste of an evening and so tiny time. Will it earn condemnation from all quarters? Yes, because it scares his family. Will it change one whit at the club? No, he'll just invest in better CCTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The whataboutery is off the charts tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

fullstop wrote: »

Isn’t it just

fullstop wrote: »

Whataboutery is not the same as calling out mind blowing hypocrisy sir, however, I will leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Less or more embarrassing than a player getting death threats for thinking about leaving a club?

The point is, every club has scummy elements that take things way beyond what is/should be acceptable, people would do well to remember that before getting their panties in a bunch.

Ah cmon man. It's fcking disgusting behaviour.

Unless said fans were defending the behaviour previously at their own club it's ridiculous.

No normal fan wants to see this stuff at any club. People can have opinions on it. Just because X club did Y doesn't mean they can't have an opinion on an opposing club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think we're all agreed it's scummy behaviour. It's not representative of the fanbase although some may be intimating it is or others may think that they are. I wish I could be confident 20-30 Liverpool fans wouldn't do something similar in the same situation but I'm not.
    This is the sign of the times, Brexit Britain, Daily Mail hoardes and the internet to rile them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Adebayor being linked with a PL return. Hes 35 now. Brighton and Villa interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Have any of the supporters groups condemned the attack?

• pjohnson wrote: »
    Adebayor being linked with a PL return. Hes 35 now. Brighton and Villa interested.

It's a free I suspect but not sure what type of wages he would be on.
    Maybe a decent option off the bench for Villa.

Even a 6 month deal just for the relegation battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

PL back tonight albeit not being shown on UK or Irish TV.

Liverpool have 2 spots up for grabs: Mané's position likely replaced by Origi though Minamino also in contention.

Then a spot in midfield where Oxlade Chamberlain hasn't impressed recently. Lallana is coming back from illness and Fabinho and Keïta are coming back from injury. I'd say Lallana has a good chance here.

Good to see Randolph back in the league for West Ham. They're having a poor enough season but I haven't seen much of them to be honest although a friend who's a season ticket holder tells me they've not been great at home.

Liverpool have the chance tonight to do something they've never done before: beat every other team in the league in the same season (they also play West Ham next month)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement