Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Peatys wrote: »
    Have any of the supporters groups condemned the attack?

LOL :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

As a Liverpool fan, I feel compelled to be extremely faux outraged by the shenanigans at Ed Woodwards house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

As a Liverpool fan, I feel compelled to be extremely faux outraged by the shenanigans at Ed Woodwards house.

You can actually be generally outraged by this and don't have to support anyone to do so.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    You can actually be generally outraged by this and don't have to support anyone to do so.

Yea I'm just not feeling it tbh, couldn't care less, definitely Liverpool fans out there acting all outraged and taking the moral highground though. You gotz to getz those internetz points yo.

It's probably a pity it wasn't Leicester fans, then we could have been all properly outraged together.

• Advertisement

The biggest crime I can see regards Woodward is that his parents were cruel enough to name him Edward Woodward, come on, no need for that, outrageous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

8-10 wrote: »
    PL back tonight albeit not being shown on UK or Irish TV.

Liverpool have 2 spots up for grabs: Mané's position likely replaced by Origi though Minamino also in contention.

Then a spot in midfield where Oxlade Chamberlain hasn't impressed recently. Lallana is coming back from illness and Fabinho and Keïta are coming back from injury. I'd say Lallana has a good chance here.

Good to see Randolph back in the league for West Ham. They're having a poor enough season but I haven't seen much of them to be honest although a friend who's a season ticket holder tells me they've not been great at home.

Liverpool have the chance tonight to do something they've never done before: beat every other team in the league in the same season (they also play West Ham next month)
    "Not been great" is fcuking understatement of the century! We've won just once at home since September.
    Could be a nice goal difference boost for Liverpool if the players are up for it (not that it's needed). Our record losing margin at home is 6 goals. That could be under thread depending on how ye play.
    Honestly though, Liverpool could plod along in first gear or play their reserves tonight and still come away with a comfortable 2 or 3 goal win.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

PL back tonight albeit not being shown on UK or Irish TV.

Liverpool have 2 spots up for grabs: Mané's position likely replaced by Origi though Minamino also in contention.

Then a spot in midfield where Oxlade Chamberlain hasn't impressed recently. Lallana is coming back from illness and Fabinho and Keïta are coming back from injury. I'd say Lallana has a good chance here.

Good to see Randolph back in the league for West Ham. They're having a poor enough season but I haven't seen much of them to be honest although a friend who's a season ticket holder tells me they've not been great at home.

Liverpool have the chance tonight to do something they've never done before: beat every other team in the league in the same season (they also play West Ham next month)

Origi and Keita for me, or else Ox played wide up front and Keita. Basically I want Naby to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I actually see tonight as a potential banana skin tbh. It’s a huge shot to nothing for West Ham and hard to say how the game on Sunday and reaction to it affected the general confidence of the squad. Plus no Mane.

There’s weight of history here too to be reckoned with. Reaching 70 points in January is entirely unprecedented in an elite professional league. It may never happen again and the players might just wobble once they’re cognisant of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

"Not been great" is fcuking understatement of the century! We've won just once at home since September.
    Could be a nice goal difference boost for Liverpool if the players are up for it (not that it's needed). Our record losing margin at home is 6 goals. That could be under thread depending on how ye play.
    Honestly though, Liverpool could plod along in first gear or play their reserves tonight and still come away with a comfortable 2 or 3 goal win.

On the flip side you got a draw in the same fixture last season while not in a great run of form.

The fact that there's not much expectations about this game would help them. They can sit and invite Liverpool to break them down without having to be adventurous going forward. If they keep that going into the second half anything could happen.

It's been a while since we've had one of those unexpectedly mad games so I could see this being a 4-4 draw or something - just something typical for a game not being shown on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

West Hams next 10 games bar odd 1 or 2 all look like unlikely victories.

Real test for Moyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Hopefully!

Can't see it though, we haven't battered many this season and now have no Mane, most wins by a one goal margin, I'll take any win.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Enough with the username discussion. Cleaned up the off topic posts.

Back on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Thread needs a game, there is one tonight that could see Liverpool increase their lead to 19 points

Thread needs a game, there is one tonight that could see Liverpool increase their lead to 19 points

It will be the first time, certainly in the premier league era, that I will be disappointed if we only go 17 points clear of the rest.

Will definitely be watching and will enjoy it, but the league is considered done. Technically not, but nobody (sane) will be betting against it.

Question - without Mane, is it Origi out wide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I actually see tonight as a potential banana skin tbh. It’s a huge shot to nothing for West Ham and hard to say how the game on Sunday and reaction to it affected the general confidence of the squad. Plus no Mane.

There’s weight of history here too to be reckoned with. Reaching 70 points in January is entirely unprecedented in an elite professional league. It may never happen again and the players might just wobble once they’re cognisant of that.

I agree with most of this.
    But the 70 point wont have any influence on the game at all.

The bigger problem is Liverpool are missing chances since Shef Utd at home.
    No Mane tonight as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

While WHU are known for being able to raise their game to world beater status for individual games I think this Liverpool team are above such things and should be able to beat them quite easily. They are one of the best drilled teams there has ever been. West Ham? Not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool slight favourites given the form.

Cant see anything but a pool win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Reading this week that West Ham are the 18th richest club in the world and the players have to change in portacabins at there changing ground which is stuck in the 1960's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Huge game tonight to keep the momentum going ,
    Win tonight then its a home game this weekend and we could be 21 points up on City who play away to Spurs,

I see tonight as tuff game but I'm not sure if its just because of last year I'm thinking this, Mane out missing could be an issue so hopefully we score first and early to settle the heads and give Westham no encouragement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Reading this week that West Ham are the 18th richest club in the world and the players have to change in portacabins at there changing ground which is stuck in the 1960's.

You read that bolded comment & think yeah I see that, due to having an ultra cheap, large new stadium & just by being in the PL but their foundation is a deck of cards as they are desperately trying to avoid relegation. They brought in Haller & Fornals with a decent reputation (and price tag) but now both look completely bereft of confidence. They aimed for top 6 under Pellegrini but now have sacked him tryIng to stop the rot that had already set in, been knocked out of both cups (which is all you can hope for there) in a not exactly proud manner.

Huge game tonight to keep the momentum going ,
    Win tonight then its a home game this weekend and we could be 21 points up on City who play away to Spurs

22 points is the potential gap. It's not possible to only go 21 clear

But focus should be on this match only let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Looks like the flares and threats worked.

Not really, just a cohinkadink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

22 points is the potential gap. It's not possible to only go 21 clear

But focus should be on this match only let's not get ahead of ourselves.

If city and spurs draw, 21 points is possible, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

fullstop wrote: »
    If city and spurs draw, 21 points is possible, no?

Liverpool are playing twice, v West Ham tonight and v Southampton on Saturday, before City play Spurs on Sunday so it`s not mathematically possible for them to go 21 points clear before City play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭This is it

Peno Liverpool, definite for me. Firmino did brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

ERG89 wrote: »
    You read that bolded comment & think yeah I see that, due to having an ultra cheap, large new stadium & just by being in the PL but their foundation is a deck of cards as they are desperately trying to avoid relegation. They brought in Haller & Fornals with a decent reputation (and price tag) but now both look completely bereft of confidence. They aimed for top 6 under Pellegrini but now have sacked him tryIng to stop the rot that had already set in, been knocked out of both cups (which is all you can hope for there) in a not exactly proud manner.

Huge potential there if that club was tan properly. Notwithstanding the recent move slightly away from their traditional hinterland, they have a huge (almost) free stadium, a big area around East London, into Essex and East of the Greater London area to pull fans and potential players from. They should be able to attract good foreign players, I mean where would most WAGs want to live, London or Liverpool/Manchester?

Instead, that are being ran into the Championship by the Dildo Brothers and Karen Fvcking Brady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This is it wrote: »
    Peno Liverpool, definite for me. Firmino did brilliant

Threw himself to the ground after minimal contact.

Not a penalty for me.

Liverpool still looking good for their lead overall but I don't thin it was a penalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Hahahaha. . Not a pen...course not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭This is it

Quazzie wrote: »
    Threw himself to the ground after minimal contact.

Not a penalty for me.

Liverpool still looking good for their lead overall but I don't thin it was a penalty

We'll agree to disagree :)

70 points in January :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brighton, City, Liverpool & Southampton before the end of Feb for West Ham, Moyes could be sacked by the end of the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

70 points in Jan..

We've a great chance.

• Advertisement

We've a great chance.

I haven't seen it mentioned in a while but I think you are right.

Great result for United winning away to City in the other competition tonight. Coupled with the signing today that's good morale and momentum to bring into the League game against Wolves this weekend.

We've a great chance.

Nailed on for top 4

Great result for United winning away to City in the other competition tonight. Coupled with the signing today that's good morale and momentum to bring into the League game against Wolves this weekend.

The Woodward family can sleep soundly tonight.

We've a great chance.

8 wins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

6 wrote: »
    70 points in January :)

To put it into context Liverpool are nearly mathematically clear of Arsenal already :o

To put it into context Liverpool are nearly mathematically clear of Arsenal already :o

PL teams that have won less games this season than Arsenal:

- Norwich
    - Watford

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wow, that's some stat. They're evil, statistics are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If United, in 5th, win all the rest of their games they'd only get 76 points.

So Liverpool need 7 points to guarantee CL qualfication, or fewer than that, if Spurs, Utd and Wolves all drop points in the next couple of games.

Gbear wrote: »
    If United, in 5th, win all the rest of their games they'd only get 76 points.

So Liverpool need 7 points to guarantee CL qualfication, or fewer than that, if Spurs, Utd and Wolves all drop points in the next couple of games.

CL holders qualify automatically so don't worry about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

West Ham are in big trouble.

Need to beat Brighton. Have City A & Liverpool A after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What has been the biggest gap between 1st & 2nd at any stage in the season ever before? City won the league by 19 a couple of years ago, but I'm assuming that was the largest gap they had throughout that season?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City lose.
    Utd knocked out.
    Liverpool go 19 clear at the top of the league.

Not a bad night at all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

After 24 games last season, City were on 56 points vs the 51 they’re sitting on now. There’s some suggestion this is just a crap year for the PL.... nope. Liverpool are just in a class above the rest right now. There’s some great teams - Wolves how are ya and Leicester on a great performance for examples outside the usual suspects. It’s a great season of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 24 catch up game

70 Liverpool
    51 Man City
    48 Leicester
    40 Chelsea
    34 Man Utd Spurs Wolves
    33 Sheff Utd
    31 Southampton
    30 Arsenal Palace Everton Burnley Newcastle
    25 Brighton Villa
    23 West Ham Bournemouth Watford