Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

FitzShane wrote: »
    What has been the biggest gap between 1st & 2nd at any stage in the season ever before? City won the league by 19 a couple of years ago, but I'm assuming that was the largest gap they had throughout that season?

For that City team, yes it was

Arsenal were 19 points clear of 2nd place Liverpool in late February 1989 and ended up only winning the title on goal difference by beating Liverpool 2-0 on the last game of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Match Day 24 catch up game

Co comms saying the pen absolutely borderline haha. He's fouled by two of them at the same time. Priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

8-10 wrote: »

Arsenal were 19 points clear of 2nd place Liverpool in late February 1989 and ended up only winning the title on goal difference by beating Liverpool 2-0 on the last game of the season

Goals scored, goal difference was the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

.G. wrote: »
    Co comms saying the pen absolutely borderline haha. He's fouled by two of them at the same time. Priceless.

"Penalty was borderline".

Where do they get these "pundits" from.

Goals scored, goal difference was the same

Indeed. I thought that when typing but wasn't going to go check.

Literally only come to terms with that game in the last couple of years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I actually see tonight as a potential banana skin tbh. It’s a huge shot to nothing for West Ham and hard to say how the game on Sunday and reaction to it affected the general confidence of the squad. Plus no Mane.

There’s weight of history here too to be reckoned with. Reaching 70 points in January is entirely unprecedented in an elite professional league. It may never happen again and the players might just wobble once they’re cognisant of that.

Liverpool say no to this suggestion :pac:
    Match Day 24 catch up game

70 Liverpool
    51 Man City
    48 Leicester
    40 Chelsea
    34 Man Utd Spurs Wolves
    33 Sheff Utd
    31 Southampton
    30 Arsenal Palace Everton Burnley Newcastle
    25 Brighton Villa
    23 West Ham Bournemouth Watford
    17 Norwich

Double the points of each team outside of the top 4 :eek: That's insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

19 points ahead, not clear . Games in hand are fairly important when chasing a team.

This season is 19 points clear. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

70 points in January. We’ll never see this again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We’ll never see this again.

We will. Maybe not Liverpool but it'll happen again.

It was the same said when City broke 100 points saying we won't see it again or for a very long time. Next season 2 teams extremely close. This season probably be done again I think.

That's a great penalty by Salah.

• Advertisement

Been watching the Manchester City Documentary on Amazon lately( yeh I'm late to the party :pac: )

Don't think it's that great.

Narrator : Nothing has come easy in Manchester City's pursuit for the Carabao cup.

As they literally beat beat Bristol whilst the other SF was Arsenal Chelsea :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Been watching the Manchester City Documentary on Amazon lately( yeh I'm late to the party :pac: )

Don't think it's that great.

Narrator : Nothing has come easy in Manchester City's pursuit for the Carabao cup.

As they literally beat beat Bristol whilst the other SF was Arsenal Chelsea :pac:

Yeah, it's not great... can tell the club had a lot of control over the edit. As much as anything, it's a glorified promotional piece. It just feels very sterile, especially in comparison to something like the Sunderland one.

For a genuinely good doc out of it, you need clubs who need the cash and will reluctantly grant a lot of access and creative control to the doc team. The big billion dollar clubs just use it as an extended and tightly reined in advertisement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Nijmegen wrote: »
    After 24 games last season, City were on 56 points vs the 51 they’re sitting on now. There’s some suggestion this is just a crap year for the PL.... nope. Liverpool are just in a class above the rest right now. There’s some great teams - Wolves how are ya and Leicester on a great performance for examples outside the usual suspects. It’s a great season of football.

Whilst I agree with your initial points, its not been a great season of football. That's not anti-Liverpool, its just not interesting when the league is over in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

AdamD wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with your initial points, its not been a great season of football. That's not anti-Liverpool, its just not interesting when the league is over in January.

I think it has been. Watching Liverpool be so ruthless, watching the fight for both CL and relegation places play out. Seeing teams from the bottom end of the league beat the bigger teams. Seeing Sheffield United doing so well.

Plenty of excitement so far and more to come I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

We will. Maybe not Liverpool but it'll happen again.

It was the same said when City broke 100 points saying we won't see it again or for a very long time. Next season 2 teams extremely close. This season probably be done again I think.

That's a great penalty by Salah.
    I don't think so. Even the games they're bad they look fairly comfortable. Barca and Real at their best weren't doing this. Maybe it's to do with more pragmatism in the PL where teams try to eek out draws against these teams rather than give it a go but I don't think 1 draw as the only points dropped at this stage of the season will happen again. At least not in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Are City still favourites for the Champions league ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think it has been. Watching Liverpool be so ruthless, watching the fight for both CL and relegation places play out. Seeing teams from the bottom end of the league beat the bigger teams. Seeing Sheffield United doing so well.

Plenty of excitement so far and more to come I'd imagine.

Relegation is interesting, the rest meh, Liverpool too good.

Be funny if the champions league ends up with all English semi finals

It would stop the silly narrative that Liverpool are only winning because its a weak league this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Are City still favourites for the Champions league ?

That'll change now that Liverpool have the PL in the bag, we can keep the first team fresh for the champions League.

Be funny if the champions league ends up with all English semi finals

It would stop the silly narrative that Liverpool are only winning because its a weak league this season

It would probably help the narrative of world wide collapse of football.. how else do they explain Liverpool getting be world/euro and English champs?

Poor feckers and their mental gymnastics

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Peatys wrote: »
    That'll change now that Liverpool have the PL in the bag, we can keep the first team fresh for the champions League.

While city are still in they'll be favourites. If Liverpool play City in the final I'd imagine City will still be favourites, albeit marginal, even if Liverpool finished 25+ points ahead in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It would probably help the narrative of world wide collapse of football.. how else do they explain Liverpool getting be world/euro and English champs?

Poor feckers and their mental gymnastics

It's some coincidence that suddenly every single team in the world is poor this season, while Liverpool are playing some good stuff and en route to winning the league title. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

5starpool wrote: »
    While city are still in they'll be favourites. If Liverpool play City in the final I'd imagine City will still be favourites, albeit marginal, even if Liverpool finished 25+ points ahead in the league.

Are they actually favourites?? That doesn’t really make sense. Playing a continuously improving Madrid side in the next round, they concede goals constantly through a terrible defense and the shambles that are my own team man united have beaten them twice at home this season.

Was at PSG Monaco game recently and can’t see them winning either. They were so open and gifted so many counter attacking options.

Unfortunately, Liverpool are by far the most rounded and complete team in the comp.

Can't be much in it?

Edit. Basically 4.25/1 (city) v 4.5/1 (pool) on oddschecker.

Can't be much in it?

I find it mad that two teams who have draw Real and Athletico are still favourites for the whole thing
    Either could easily go out this round ,

Are they actually favourites?? That doesn’t really make sense. Playing a continuously improving Madrid side in the next round, they concede goals constantly through a terrible defense and the shambles that are my own team man united have beaten them twice at home this season.

Was at PSG Monaco game recently and can’t see them winning either. They were so open and gifted so many counter attacking options.

Unfortunately, Liverpool are by far the most rounded and complete team in the comp.

I think what has largely gone under the radar this season is the form of the attacking players at City. Yes, they have racked up some massive scores like 8-0, 6-1, 5-0 in the league but Sterling is having a poorer league season that last year. He has gone on a barren spell now stretching back to around the same time as the last international break. He has only scored in 3 of his last 13 league games, after an explosive start to the league. Bernado Silva's output has decreased also in the last couple of months. They were probably City's 2 best players last season but have not continued this into the latter half of this season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Can't be much in it?

It's definitely marginal, but I suspect City will start slight favourites for the PL next season too.

Re odds and bookies. While influenced by who they think is the better team, they also change odds due to exposure i.e. if too much money laid on one team they might increase the odds on another team to "balance their books".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FitzShane wrote: »
    I think what has largely gone under the radar this season is the form of the attacking players at City. Yes, they have racked up some massive scores like 8-0, 6-1, 5-0 in the league but Sterling is having a poorer league season that last year. He has gone on a barren spell now stretching back to around the same time as the last international break. He has only scored in 3 of his last 13 league games, after an explosive start to the league. Bernado Silva's output has decreased also in the last couple of months. They were probably City's 2 best players last season but have not continued this into the latter half of this season.

City dont seem to create the same type of chance they regularly did last year with sterling arriving late to finish at the back post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's definitely marginal, but I suspect City will start slight favourites for the PL next season too.

Wouldn't be surprised if they spend well over £200m with David Silva going, possibility Sane & Stones too plus the fact they are desperate defensively at centre half & left back in particular. The likes of Otamendi, Mendy & Angelino might get shown the door too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

ERG89 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if they spend well over £200m with David Silva going, possibility Sane & Stones too plus the fact they are desperate defensively at centre half & left back in particular. The likes of Otamendi, Mendy & Angelino might get shown the door too.

Interesting that they haven't spend big in this transfer window. Guess they've conceded that the league is over and are already planning Summer transfers?

• Advertisement

City dont seem to create the same type of chance they regularly did last year with sterling arriving late to finish at the back post.

I was talking about this a while ago, teams seem to have stopped City scoring tap in's that was there trade mark goal for 2 season's ,

Id love to see if anyone has picked out the exact reason its dried up, KDB seems to have a different position on the pitch this year ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sane a bit of a miss in that sense. Much more direct and made good runs in behind, getting to end line and cutting back / across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sane a bit of a miss in that sense. Much more direct and made good runs in behind, getting to end line and cutting back / across.

PARlance wrote: »

To be fair if Sane was fit this season, he'd be playing for Bayern Munich.

But yeah either way he is a miss, especially later in games. Pace coming on and running at tired legs, providing extra width and directness and leaving more space inside for Sterling, Silva, KDB, Aguero etc. There was a few games where his sub directly influenced the result - Liverpool, United, or had a hand in others like Leicester for example.

He was largely used a sub for the 2nd half of last season, and I wonder was that a reason behind why he wanted to leave City. On the bench for FA & League Cup finals too, and only played 7 mins combined in the CL 1/4 finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nicked off twitter.

'Liverpool Home' 36 points 4th in the Premier League table
    'Liverpool Away' 34 points joint-5th placed (along with Man United, Spurs & Wolves)

'Liverpool Away' 34 points joint-5th placed (along with Man United, Spurs & Wolves)

Ahead of United, Spurs and Wolves on goal difference in fairness. 5th on our own.

Jaysus lads yous a top of the league no need to make up other alternative tables :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Jaysus lads yous a top of the league no need to make up other alternative tables :pac:

It's what we do, we can't change just because we're winning
    net spend is still a thing too

Oh dear me.

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1223015289060720640

Hopefully the Daily Heil are wrong.

Give it to Mark Chapman. Jenas is paint drying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Where's Linekar going? Did he say something appalling to a member of minority group on Twitter? This seems to be the old journos graveyard at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Fake news. He is going nowhere anytime soon.

Manager of the Month nominees for January:

Jürgen Klopp (W5, D0, L0)
    Pep Guardiola (W3, D1, L0)
    Ralph Hasenhuttl (W3, D0, L1)
    Nigel Pearson (W2, D1, L1)

Nobody has ever won more than 4 in a single season. Klopp has 4 so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd nearly say Pearson deserves it. Some turnaround he has pulled off there tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'd nearly say Pearson deserves it. Some turnaround he has pulled off there tbf.

Hassenhuttl too.

Those 3 are the managers of the season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Just seen on the BBC that Everton are targeting the Arsenal game towards the end of Feb for Andre Gomes to return from injury.

Much quicker than I would have expected to see him back but delighted for the guy after what was a horrific injury

• Advertisement

x43r0 wrote: »
    Just seen on the BBC that Everton are targeting the Arsenal game towards the end of Feb for Andre Gomes to return from injury.

Much quicker than I would have expected to see him back but delighted for the guy after what was a horrific injury

It was a bad injury but it wasn't a leg break which it looked like ,it looked like his shin snapped in half but it was an ankle dislocation which is bad but not as bad,

A couple of tasty matches this weekend

Saturday 1 February 2020

12:30 Leicester v Chelsea
    15:00 AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa
    15:00 C Palace v Sheff Utd
    15:00 Liverpool v Southampton
    15:00 Newcastle v Norwich
    15:00 Watford v Everton
    15:00 West Ham v Brighton
    17:30 Man Utd v Wolves

Sunday 2 February 2020
    14:00 Burnley v Arsenal
    16:30 Spurs v Man City

Fancy the Foxes to consolidate third place against Chelsea, Man Utd v Wolves should be a cracker, Spurs v City could be more competitive than it looks. Mourinho will have them set up to frustrate and counter while City seem to run out of cutting edge if they don't score early doors.

A couple of tasty matches this weekend

Saturday 1 February 2020

12:30 Leicester v Chelsea
    15:00 AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa
    15:00 C Palace v Sheff Utd
    15:00 Liverpool v Southampton
    15:00 Newcastle v Norwich
    15:00 Watford v Everton
    15:00 West Ham v Brighton
    17:30 Man Utd v Wolves

Sunday 2 February 2020
    14:00 Burnley v Arsenal
    16:30 Spurs v Man City

Fancy the Foxes to consolidate third place against Chelsea, Man Utd v Wolves should be a cracker, Spurs v City could be more competitive than it looks. Mourinho will have them set up to frustrate and counter while City seem to run out of cutting edge if they don't score early doors.

Fancy Wolves to do United, they had a week off where United put a lot into the City game ,
    City to beat Spurs by two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No Ole?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gbear wrote: »
    Hassenhuttl too.

Those 3 are the managers of the season so far.

Chris Wilder has to be ahead of Pearson & Hasenhuttl, nobody rated Sheffield United coming and they've stayed in the top 10 for a while. At the rate they are going its hard to look past Klopp though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement