Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Hodgson had like a 40% win rate in the league with Liverpool. Is Ole worse than that?

68 34 15 19 50.0

If you exclude the games played when he was parachuted in (and that would be mean!) then you could be getting close to around 45%

Relegation battle, there is a four point gap to Burnley etc on 30 points so I'll leave them be for now :)

15 Brighton & Hove Albion 25 6 8 11 30 37 -7 26
    16 AFC Bournemouth 25 7 5 13 25 38 -13 26
    17 Aston Villa 25 7 4 14 32 47 -15 25
    18 West Ham United 25 6 6 13 30 43 -13 24
    19 Watford 25 5 8 12 23 39 -16 23
    20 Norwich City 25 4 6 15 24 47 -23 18

Form guide

6 Aston Villa 6 3 1 2 8 11 3 2 0 1 4 7 3 1 1 1 4 4 -3 10
    7 Watford 6 2 2 2 9 7 3 1 1 1 4 4 3 1 1 1 5 3 +2 8
    -
    -
    14 Brighton & … 6 1 3 2 8 9 3 1 2 0 4 2 3 0 1 2 4 7 -1 6
    15 Burnley 6 2 0 4 5 9 3 1 0 2 3 5 3 1 0 2 2 4 -4 6
    16 Norwich City 6 1 3 2 5 9 3 1 2 0 4 3 3 0 1 2 1 6 -4 6
    17 Newcastle U… 6 1 3 2 5 10 3 1 1 1 1 3 3 0 2 1 4 7 -5 6
    18 AFC Bournemouth 6 2 0 4 5 12 3 2 0 1 5 5 3 0 0 3 0 7 -7 6
    19 Crystal Palace 6 0 4 2 5 8 3 0 1 2 1 4 3 0 3 0 4 4 -3 4
    20 West Ham United 6 0 2 4 6 13 3 0 2 1 4 6 3 0 0 3 2 7 -7 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

68 34 15 19 50.0

If you exclude the games played when he was parachuted in (and that would be mean!) then you could be getting close to around 45%

Oles been in charge for 68 games? Or am I reading your table wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oles been in charge for 68 games? Or am I reading your table wrong?

That's all comps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ole gets a win every time the pressure mounts and then it goes away for 2 or 3 weeks and rinse and repeat,
    There 6th but only 5 points ahead of Burnley in 14th,
    The 6 points they got off Spurs and City in December have probably kept him in a job, They where huge wins for saving face for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hodgson had like a 40% win rate in the league with Liverpool. Is Ole worse than that?

He has a 36% win rate this season anyway. (9 wins in 25)

Hodgson was in charge for 20 league games with Liverpool and had a 35% win rate (7 wins)

Incidentally, after 25 games that season, Liverpool had 35 points ( in 7th place, behind Sunderland, remember them :) ) , same as Utd this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He has a 36% win rate this season anyway. (9 wins in 25)

Hodgson was in charge for 20 league games with Liverpool and had a 35% win rate (7 wins)

Incidentally, after 25 games that season, Liverpool had 35 points ( in 7th place, behind Sunderland, remember them :) ) , same as Utd this season.

Don't let Sheff Utd see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Nice new stadium on the waterfront

The right investment

Who knows what will happen
    Not a spade in the dirt yet. Stadium expected to cost £500m; Spurs Stadium was meant to cost £400m. Expected to be done by 2023, wait till they start digs.
    Dodgy naming rights deal that is to be investigated.
    Posted over £100m loss recently.
    Everton have failed to win any of the last 21 Merseyside derbies in all competitions. Their last win was at Goodison Park in October 2010. Last win at Anfield was Sept ‘99.

Everton could win at Goodison in March, but in the short/medium/long term, it ain’t a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

As a person who loves stats, some of the stats Liverpool fans are coming out with is insane.

They're nothing stats. Everybody knows you're the best team right now. Nobody is denying it. More people are saying you're going to win the league( No fan is expecting you to crumble now)

Yet, you still post stats that nobody cares about. Most points in Jan? I don't recall this ever being a thing. It's been most points at end of season.

Everything has always been end of season. Yet proceed to throw it in everybody faces as if the fact the last 30 years didn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

As a person who loves stats, some of the stats Liverpool fans are coming out with is insane.

They're nothing stats. Everybody knows you're the best team right now. Nobody is denying it. More people are saying you're going to win the league( No fan is expecting you to crumble now)

Yet, you still post stats that nobody cares about. Most points in Jan? I don't recall this ever being a thing. It's been most points at end of season.

Everything has always been end of season. Yet proceed to throw it in everybody faces as if the fact the last 30 years didn't matter.

Sad tbh.

And yes, the best start to a season was always a stat that mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

People in general are becoming obsessed with Stats across all sports in recent years to be fair. Some absolutely pointless stats being spouted out by journos on various podcasts/shows/Twitter trying one up each other. Like does anyone really care that a certain player has scored on every day of the week for a team? No. Really is getting out of hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

It's just a bit of craic. The league is done and dusted so people are just having a bit of fun with stats.

Let's discuss the league if you want. 24 wins and 1 draw out of 25 games. If City can go on a run and Liverpool lose 7 in a row the league is back on IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

joe_99 wrote: »
    It's just a bit of craic. The league is done and dusted so people are just having a bit of fun with stats.

Let's discuss the league if you want. 24 wins and 1 draw out of 25 games. If City can go on a run and Liverpool lose 7 in a row the league is back on IMO.

I don`t think you are being serious but in case you are then City have more or less thrown in the towel as far as winning the PL title is concerned and will just do enough to make sure they finish in the top 4. It`s all about focusing on the Champions League and to a lesser extent the FA and League Cups for them now.

You love stats, just not Liverpool stats.
    Plenty care about the stats, you don’t. That’s not nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Baldock was blessed not to get a 2nd yellow, compared to Lerma's yellow.
    Even Glenn Murray's equaliser was a bit iffy, seemed to hit his hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I would be very careful about lording it over the blue shirts in an area

These things come back to bite eventually

If Everton ever get bought by a bunch of despotic Middle Eastern owners with a wall of money and a ruthlessness proven by their brutalisation of an entire populace - I’ll be sure and take them seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ole post match interview on March of the day, Holy God he's out of the depth, "Where a good team because we kept a clean sheet against Wolves"
    He's like David Brent

You love stats, just not Liverpool stats.
    Plenty care about the stats, you don’t. That’s not nobody.

I'm glad you mentioned that. Because I can call you out on how much bullsh1t you just sprouted.

I have said multiple times this season that I believe Liverpool could go Invincible. And I've always been a fan of seeing records being broken in my time.

I think if Liverpool break the 100+ points barrier and go undefeated it would end the discussion of ' Whats better invincible or 100+ points)

Perhaps I'm naive in thinking but I want to tell my kids that I've witnessed greatnes be it Ronaldo. Messi City Liverpool Spain. I've seen unbelievable things achieved.

I just can't imagine sprouting something like " Most Points In January"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Ole post match interview on March of the day, Holy God he's out of the depth, "Where a good team because we kept a clean sheet against Wolves"
    He's like David Brent

Yeah "they showed wolves" how good they are, laughable stuff.
    Then he started waffling on about the groundsman moving the bloody goalposts as the reason they didn't score. What a clown.
    They wouldn't have scored if they were playing for a week.

noodler wrote: »
    Sad tbh.

And yes, the best start to a season was always a stat that mattered.

No it wasn't the stat that was always mentioned was ''Most wins in a row at the start of a season''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

73 points in January is magnificent. 100 of 102 points is magnificent. I understand Liverpool will need to break all the records to get people to shut up, so be it - but these markers are unprecedented nonetheless.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I understand Liverpool will need to break all the records to get people to shut up, so be it

What are you talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

73 points in January is magnificent. 100 of 102 points is magnificent. I understand Liverpool will need to break all the records to get people to shut up, so be it - but these markers are unprecedented nonetheless.

If they keep it up and theres every chance they will, be the best season ever conceived,
    But the stats comparing to everton is a bit childish, everybody knows how good liverpool is

If they keep it up and theres every chance they will, be the best season ever conceived,
    But the stats comparing to everton is a bit childish, everybody knows how good liverpool is

As I've said before this season I have never heard of points carried over for stats. Unless it was wins in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I hate that ****e about bragging rights, in my opinion its only for people that are lifeless or don't follow the game but supportes a team

Arsenal fans for example still cling on to their invincibles team while winning something like 1 fa cup since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

:pac:

You claim to love stats and yet the lie detector determined that was untrue.

They are amazing stats, Liverpool are phenomenal. How can someone look at what this team has done and say they are nothing stats? Even at this stage of the season?

I'm embarrassed for you tbh, and I say that as someone who has often read your posts and thought yeah fair/good assessment, spot on....but on this occasion, jinkies that is poor.

If any other team had this kind of lead at this point in the season most of the English football media and journos would be spurting all over the place.

You then go on to say that only that the end of the season matters....yet try and reference the last 30 years? Which is it? The past or the future?

Liverpool are something like 6 wins away from the title. In January.

It's insane.

• Advertisement

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    :pac:

You claim to love stats and yet the lie detector determined that was untrue.

They are amazing stats, Liverpool are phenomenal. How can someone look at what this team has done and say they are nothing stats? Even at this stage of the season?

I'm embarrassed for you tbh, and I say that as someone who has often read your posts and thought yeah fair/good assessment, spot on....but on this occasion, jinkies that is poor.

If any other team had this kind of lead at this point in the season most of the English football media and journos would be spurting all over the place.

You then go on to say that only that the end of the season matters....yet try and reference the last 30 years? Which is it? The past or the future?

Liverpool are something like 6 wins away from the title. In January.

It's insane.

Apologies. I'll clarify clearer.

By nothing stats I mean " 92 points in X amount" since when is points carried across seasons count? I only ever recall unbeaten records count across seasons. I.e at home or whatever.

I don't recall any other season ever doing that?

I've said multiple times how impressive Liverpool stats are.

Yes the primary stats are the end of season stats? Most goals scored most goals conceded etca

I just can't imagine sprouting something like " Most Points In January"

You just keep spouting again and again that you hate all these stats, but you love stats. Quit talking rubbish. If you hate all the talk, then why keep engaging in a topic you have so little interest in? You're acting like a little child.

Ó
    You just keep spouting again and again that you hate all these stats, but you love stats. Quit talking rubbish. If you hate all the talk, then why keep engaging in a topic you have so little interest in? You're acting like a little child.

Lads come on no one cares who has most points in January they are rubbish stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Can I point out it's February...

Ó

Lads come on no one cares who has most points in January they are rubbish stats
    It's just a stat. You're not meant to care or not. Take it or leave it. But it's the Gen PL Thread, if it's a new record, it's a stat that will be covered.

• Advertisement

Good job on addressing the other points.

Not acting like a child at all. I never said I hate it? I said I found it irrelevant?

I
    It's just a stat. You're not meant to care or not. Take it or leave it. But it's the Gen PL Thread, if it's a new record, it's a stat that will be covered.

Why dose it mstter, it only counts if you're top in mid May waste if time using them in fairness

I

Why dose it mstter, it only counts if you're top in mid May waste if time using them in fairness
    Because many people have an interest in stats. Liverpool obtaining 100pts from the last 102pts on offer, winning 33 of their last 34 matches in the PL. It tells you more than just "top of the league".
    And that's why mid-May isn't the only thing that counts, cause if this continues, they'll be top in mid-March and the league will be mathematically over.

Because many people have an interest in stats. Liverpool obtaining 100pts from the last 102pts on offer, winning 33 of their last 34 matches in the PL. It tells you more than just "top of the league".
    And that's why mid-May isn't the only thing that counts, cause if this continues, they'll be top in mid-March and the league will be mathematically over.

Interest or not it does nothing to determine the outcome so a complete waste of time

Interest or not it does nothing to determine the outcome so a complete waste of time
    Nobody claimed it determines the outcome. You're missing the point.
    Not a complete waste of time. Maybe to you, but not to many. Stats factor into the analysis of the outcome.
    Anyone that has no interest, you don't have to participate in the discussion.

Not a complete waste of time. Maybe to you, but not to many. Stats factor into the analysis of the outcome.

To be fair if it doesn't determine the outcome then what is the point, Newcastle were too in January and not in May back in the 90s so who gives a crap

To put it into perspective. The stat would be completely irrelevant if Liverpool somehow lost the league and flipped it on its head.

"imagine having 70+ points in Jan and not winning the league" Liverpool fans would argue the league isn't won then(which some are)

To be fair if it doesn't determine the outcome then what is the point, Newcastle were too in January and not in May back in the 90s so who gives a crap
    You keep missing the point. If it's of no interest to you, fine. But it is to many others.
    BTW the stat isn't that Newcastle were top, but that Liverpool are top by 22pts (19pts in Jan).
    The fact that you are quoting a stat about Newcastle being top in Jan, shows that even you use a stat in a discussion. Which is the point about stats.

To put it into perspective. The stat would be completely irrelevant if Liverpool somehow lost the league and flipped it on its head.

"imagine having 70+ points in Jan and not winning the league" Liverpool fans would argue the league isn't won then(which some are)
    It's not just that they have 73pts, but the combination of a 19pts lead as well.
    I think I saw that Man City had 67pts at the end of Jan in 2018. So if Liverpool just had a 6pt lead, it'd still be a race if City could have duplicated that this season.

You keep missing the point. If it's of no interest to you, fine. But it is to many others.
    BTW the stat isn't that Newcastle were top, but that Liverpool are top by 22pts (19pts in Jan).
    The fact that you are quoting a stat about Newcastle being top in Jan, shows that even you use a stat in a discussion. Which is the point about stats.

Again.. Who cares what difference does it make to the actual outcome

• Advertisement

Again.. Who cares what difference does it make to the actual outcome
    Again, people other than you.

Again, people other than you.

Ie. Most sane people who couldn't give a ****e who is top in January

Ie. Most sane people who couldn't give a ****e who is top in January
    I reckon the fans of the team who is top in Jan give a ****e. And the fans that are top by 19pts really give a ****e :pac:

Must be a blast just looking at the table in mid-May, and not watching a single minute of football all season (cause it doesn't determine the outcome).

I reckon the fans of the team who is top in Jan give a ****e. And the fans that are top by 19pts really give a ****e :pac:

Must be a blast just looking at the table in mid-May, and not watching a single minute of football all season (cause it doesn't determine the outcome).

I am a Liverpool fan, i have had to listen to stupid stats about being top at January for years.... It counts for nothing

I am a Liverpool fan, i have had to listen to stupid stats about being top at January for years.... It counts for nothing
    You think having 73pts, a 19pt lead, from a team that has amassed 24 wins from 25 games, unbeaten for over a year in the league, 100pts from their last 102 available ..... all counts for nothing? All that adds up to the league being over. This isn’t a close race. This is a truely dominate team that ain’t gonna drop enough pts, when City look like they’ll drop more as well.

I was cautious entering Dec, but we can enjoy this now. Klopp won’t rest on his laurels, but the fans can breathe easy and enjoy the run in.

You think having 73pts, a 19pt lead, from a team that has amassed 24 wins from 25 games, unbeaten for over a year in the league, 100pts from their last 102 available ..... all counts for nothing? All that adds up to the league being over. This isn’t a close race. This is a truely dominate team that ain’t gonna drop enough pts, when City look like they’ll drop more as well.

I was cautious entering Dec, but we can enjoy this now. Klopp won’t rest on his laurels, but the fans can breathe easy and enjoy the run in.

Of course it counts for nothing, unless you're top in May so what

Last year Liverpool finished on 98 points, enough to win several league titles... What good is it if its not good enough to win that league title

Last year Liverpool finished on 98 points, enough to win several league titles... What good is it if its not good enough to win that league title

This isn’t last year, that’s the point. Liverpool don’t have to be top in May, top in March and it’ll be over this year.

And a point about stats, is that they are correct, Liverpool had 97pts :)

Amassing 97pts showed just how good they were. Good enough to win the CL, go on and win the Euro Super Cup, win the Club World Cup, good enough to do what they are doing this year.

This isn’t last year, that’s the point. Liverpool don’t have to be top in May, top in March and it’ll be over this year.

And a point about stats, is that they are correct, Liverpool had 97pts :)

Amassing 97pts showed just how good they were. Good enough to win the CL, go on and win the Euro Super Cup, win the Club World Cup, good enough to do what they are doing this year.

If City lose tomorrow, Liverpool have a 22pts lead, with 13 games left.
    You think they’ll lose 8 of those games, with City winning out?
    You mentioned “sane people” earlier on. Let’s have some sanity.

• Advertisement

If City lose tomorrow, Liverpool have a 22pts lead, with 13 games left.
    You think they’ll lose 8 of those games, with City winning out?
    You mentioned “sane people” earlier on. Let’s have some sanity.

Why would it matter who is top 6 months before a prize is awarded it makes zero sense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement