Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Why would it matter who is top 6 months before a prize is awarded it makes zero sense
    6 months? What discussion are you having?
    Sanity appears to have left this debate, so I’ll follow it.
    Chat in May when you return to check the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

6 months? What discussion are you having?
    Sanity appears to have left this debate, so I’ll follow it.
    Chat in May when you return to check the table.

Your off the charts my good man....... Stop talking!!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

What good is greatness if it cannot be commented on as it's occuring.

-me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

What good is greatness if it cannot be commented on as it's occuring.

-me.

What good is greatness if its calculated and celebrated prematurely ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Be a long time waiting for this to bite back :pac:

If the Saudis fail with Newcastle they may come in for you. We could be unbearable together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Would you not agree that the run of 100 points from 102 available is unparalleled? Therefore greatness is occurring..it will end,and people will rightly say.. "my god that was a great run,the greatest the league has seen" .. then it will be over,celebrate the now,it's happening now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Greatness should be celebrated constantly.

https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/1223650577504141312?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I find certain stats a little, cringey I guess is the word but as I've said to plenty of my Liverpool supporting friends, it's been a very long time with a few false dawn's in between. It's no surprise or a big problem to see some lose the run of themselves, enjoy it while it lasts like. If that's beating your chest about impressive, yet irrelevant stats then so be it. It doesn't affect my life in any way like and it does have an amusing effect when you see someone start to bang on about X amount of points in X amount of games etc when this particular stat never held any interest to them before :)

It's football, it isn't rational. Enjoy the success however you feel you need to.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I find certain stats a little, cringey I guess is the word but as I've said to plenty of my Liverpool supporting friends, it's been a very long time with a few false dawn's in between. It's no surprise or a big problem to see some lose the run of themselves, enjoy it while it lasts like. If that's beating your chest about impressive, yet irrelevant stats then so be it. It doesn't affect my life in any way like and it does have an amusing effect when you see someone start to bang on about X amount of points in X amount of games etc when this particular stat never held any interest to them before :)

It's football, it isn't rational. Enjoy the success however you feel you need to.
    Obviously :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Peatys wrote: »
    Obviously :D

United fans have a much bigger Norwegian problem to worry about. Liverpool fans celebrating pales in comparison.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    United fans have a much bigger Norwegian problem to worry about. Liverpool fans celebrating pales in comparison.

Norwegian, american and wherever Woodward is from.

As a person who loves stats, some of the stats Liverpool fans are coming out with is insane.

https://twitter.com/mjcritchley/status/1223667978081906699?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Unreal obviously but I'm not a fan of rolling 38 game game stats over two seasons, if that stat is true come the the final whistle of the 38th game this season then I'll celebrate it, I won't now.

You don't have to celebrate it. Just enjoy it :)

klose wrote: »
    Unreal obviously but I'm not a fan of rolling 38 game game stats over two seasons, if that stat is true come the the final whistle of the 38th game this season then I'll celebrate it, I won't now.
    If it means nothing to you, it's fine. I understand the rational of it meaning more in a single season.

But some will. This Liverpool team are doing some amazing things. I thought that Man City's run of 100pts followed by 98pts was a great achievement of consistency; this Liverpool team are on the cusp of something similar with 97pts followed up by what they are doing this year.

I do love the "it's doesn't bother/affect me" brigade, but it clearly does :pac:

when Utd won theirs in 93 it didn't really bother me either I'd have preferred it never happened but it didn't affect me like I thought it would. I just swallowed the pain and got on with life.
    it probably feels like the end of the world to the neutrals but it's really not that bad, it's the hope that kills you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Any supposed hope that anyone had that Liverpool wouldnt win the league died months ago to everyone except Liverpool fans.

The title race ended very early.

The Champions League/Europa League/Relegation bundle is where the crazyness is as most clubs seem to just be blundering around :pac:

13 pts between 5th and 19th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Quite funny how Ole acts like Man Utd are like some underdogs who are fighting so hard.

Spent huge money since he came in not far off 200m.
    In the same time Liverpool have spent 7m.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Any supposed hope that anyone had that Liverpool wouldnt win the league died months ago to everyone except Liverpool fans.

The title race ended very early. The Champions League/Europa League/Relegation bundle is where the crazyness is as most clubs seem to just be blundering around :pac:
    Just 6pts between 5th and 14th.
    A win for Arsenal or Burnley today, and it's just 3pts between 5th and 13th. Crazy close between those teams.

• Advertisement

Chelsea have won one of their last five and still sitting comfortably in 4th, surely there for the taking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

He is from Chelmsford in Essex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Chelsea have won one of their last five and still sitting comfortably in 4th, surely there for the taking

Except that no club seems to be capable of doing that at present. With the CL and EL starting up again soon that may change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

They've really struggled for consistency. They won 6 in a row in the league between Sept 28 and Nov 9 and they haven't managed 2 on the bounce since.

You expect a bit of up and down with younger players in the team but it could cost them if Man United, Wolves or Spurs can start stringing wins together.

I should have Sheffield United in that list too given their position but it still seems strange to me! :eek:

I floated the question with a Chelsea-supporting friend of mine over Christmas and he scoffed but I'll ask here again... Will Chelsea give Lampard the boot if he doesn't get top 4? I know the transfer ban is an issue, I know he's a club legend, I know they are building a new generation of players, that he lost Hazard, etc, etc, etc... But it's Chelsea and they've been very trigger happy in the past. Would it really be a shock to see him dropped and Poch or Allegri put in there in June?

Leicester, Liverpool and Sheffield United are the only teams that have had good seasons.

Every other team has been plain shíte or woefully inconsistent. But when 17 teams are all spluttering along you get away with your own splutters.

Leicester, Liverpool and Sheffield United are the only teams that have had good seasons.

Every other team has been plain shíte or woefully inconsistent.

it's a bit harsh on City, granted by their standards and in comparison to Liverpool they haven't been great. I thought I saw somewhere they are only 5 points behind what they did last year but of course they won something like 15 on the trot at the end.

Every other team has been plain shíte or woefully inconsistent. But when 17 teams are all spluttering along you get away with your own splutters.

City are only 5 points worse off than this time last year (I think).

A lot of people forget how incredible their run was. They lost in game week 24 to Newcastle and won every game in the league to the end of the season on the back of that.

Edit: Gimli got there first.

it's a bit harsh on City, granted by their standards and in comparison to Liverpool they haven't been great. I thought I saw somewhere they are only 5 points behind what they did last year but of course they won something like 15 on the trot at the end.

I suppose a good way of looking at it would be to think about which teams are likely to be satisfied at the end of the season (or if the season ended today, for eg.)

Liverpool, Sheffield United, Leicester, Wolves, Chelsea (if they get top 4) would all be happy, I think.

I would argue Newcastle have done better than most would have expected, Everton would probably have been okay with a top 10 finish earlier in the season (especially when it seemed like they could be facing a relegation battle at one point so while the season was a mess, it seems to be going the right way now), Southampton are now moving in the right direction.

Palace and Brighton might be happy? Villa certainly would be if they avoided the drop.

I think Man United will always be unhappy to be outside the top 4 even if they want to argue that there are positives. Spurs and Arsenal would be very disappointed. Bournemouth surely would be too, and West Ham.

City, despite accruing lots of points and goals, will be unhappy to not be champions again, regardless of the circumstances of why that is.

Except that no club seems to be capable of doing that at present. With the CL and EL starting up again soon that may change.

Exactly, how cool would it be to see united in the CL paces. The blades, just in case anyone thinks I've had a stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

They've really struggled for consistency. They won 6 in a row in the league between Sept 28 and Nov 9 and they haven't managed 2 on the bounce since.

You expect a bit of up and down with younger players in the team but it could cost them if Man United, Wolves or Spurs can start stringing wins together.

I should have Sheffield United in that list too given their position but it still seems strange to me! :eek:

I floated the question with a Chelsea-supporting friend of mine over Christmas and he scoffed but I'll ask here again... Will Chelsea give Lampard the boot if he doesn't get top 4? I know the transfer ban is an issue, I know he's a club legend, I know they are building a new generation of players, that he lost Hazard, etc, etc, etc... But it's Chelsea and they've been very trigger happy in the past. Would it really be a shock to see him dropped and Poch or Allegri put in there in June?

I would'nt think so, there seems to be a sort of rebuilding vibe about this season with Lampard and Chelsea, Allegri is probably being lined up for the utd job and i don't think they would go with Poch with his Spurs links, outside of those two not many big names available.

I suppose a good way of looking at it would be to think about which teams are likely to be satisfied at the end of the season (or if the season ended today, for eg.)

Liverpool, Sheffield United, Leicester, Wolves, Chelsea (if they get top 4) would all be happy, I think.

I would argue Newcastle have done better than most would have expected, Everton would probably have been okay with a top 10 finish earlier in the season (especially when it seemed like they co,uld be facing a relegation battle at one point so while the season was a mess, it seems to be going the right way now), Southampton are now moving in the right direction.

Palace and Brighton might be happy? Villa certainly would be if they avoided the drop.

I think Man United will always be unhappy to be outside the top 4 even if they want to argue that there are positives. Spurs and Arsenal would be very disappointed. Bournemouth surely would be too, and West Ham.

City, despite accruing lots of points and goals, will be unhappy to not be champions again, regardless of the circumstances of why that is.

This was basically my point Pool, Leicester and Sheffield have exceeded expectations. Then Palace, Wolves and Newcastle would be roughly on the expected track. The likes of Chelsea, Man City and Everton might be ok re. position but I think they'll say they've dropped way too many points this year due to their inconsistencies but got away with it due to most clubs being inconsistent. Watford have already had 3 managers (+ Mullins as caretaker).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wolves with Europa league are doing great

Chelsea with loss of Hazard and transfer ban are having good seasons ,

Newcastle are having a great season after losing Rafa ,

Southampton are only 7 points off there final total for last year,

If Villa survive they will be delighted with there season

Will Chelsea give Lampard the boot if he doesn't get top 4? I know the transfer ban is an issue, I know he's a club legend, I know they are building a new generation of players, that he lost Hazard, etc, etc, etc... But it's Chelsea and they've been very trigger happy in the past. Would it really be a shock to see him dropped and Poch or Allegri put in there in June?
    They could have signed someone in this transfer window.
    Despite the Summer ban, they did get Kovacic in, and got Abraham/Pulisic/Mount in (back from loan deals).
    Even with the loss of Hazard, he did take over a team that won the EL and finished 3rd the previous season. Given the problems at Utd/Spurs/Arsenal, he should wrap up 4th by the end of the season. He'll probably get another season anyway, but not getting 4th would be a failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone should do a parody of Norwegian Wood.
    They could have signed someone in this transfer window.
    Despite the Summer ban, they did get Kovacic in, and got Abraham/Pulisic/Mount in (back from loan deals).
    Even with the loss of Hazard, he did take over a team that won the EL and finished 3rd the previous season. Given the problems at Utd/Spurs/Arsenal, he should wrap up 4th by the end of the season. He'll probably get another season anyway, but not getting 4th would be a failure.

The lack of Chelsea activity in January was a bit mystifying on the face of it. They have a huge warchest when they choose to go to the market and you'd have fancied they could have landed one defender and one striker if they'd really wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Exactly.

It's going to get lost in the noise but City are well on course to a title winning points total in many seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Does anyone know if United are on course to conceded more or last than last season on the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does anyone know if United are on course to conceded more or last than last season on the league

Conceding 1.16 goals per game this season so far vs 1.42 last season

They are not great but they are better

54 last term, 29 so far this.

13 games to go so they'd have to concede 2 GPP

Averaging 1.16 goals conceded this season. Was 1.42 last year. On course to concede about 10 goals less.

But their goals scored per game average has fallen from 1.71 to 1.42 so they are actually pretty close to an identical GD per game.

I remember the last time Liverpool played at Turf Moor, it seemed as though the home fans booed every single thing. This tweet has reassured me that I'm not insane.

https://twitter.com/NickMiller79/status/1223976608006057985?s=20

He also since added:
    - The referee for playing advantage, which they didn't, erm, take advantage of.
    - Ozil for being booked.
    - Players/officials/backroom staff walking down the tunnel at half-time. Assume this is a catch-all, just to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I expected Arsenal to beat Burnley handy here as the rest of the big 6 went there this season & won without much issue. Still might but it's not been a great watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hendricks should of buried that and put Burnley 1 up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Esse85 wrote: »
    Hendricks should of buried that and put Burnley 1 up

Who is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

ERG89 wrote: »
    I expected Arsenal to beat Burnley handy here as the rest of the big 6 went there this season & won without much issue. Still might but it's not been a great watch.

Arsenal have only 4 wins in the 22 PL games theyve played since mid August.

Bournemouth, Villa, West Ham and Man U

Listening to 5live, the home crowd really are just a bunch of moany ferret/pigeon botherers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

noodler wrote: »
    Who is he?

Irish midfielder. Often accidentally pluralised.

Used to play for St Kevin's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Between this Arsenal game and the United game yesterday, its been a boring couple of live games from Sky.

Hopefully the City Spurs game makes up for it.

0-0 hard to know if there was a winner there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

8-10 wrote: »
    Arsenal have only 4 wins in the 22 PL games theyve played since mid August.

Bournemouth, Villa, West Ham and Man U

Beating the team's around them. That's what successful team's do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Feels like arsenal draw every game

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement