Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• retalivity wrote: »
    SPurs are still really flaky, they could have lost 4/5-0 today.
    I don't see them getting and staying ahead of Chelsea, United, Wolves and Sheffield Utd til the end of the season

Tbf, Man Utd dont come into this equation

They have the worst form out of any of those teams you mention.

It's between Chelsea and Spurs. And Spurs are without Kane folks tend to forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

City still locked in the dressing room lol. Probably making another video aimed at Liverpool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It's between Chelsea and Spurs. And Spurs are without Kane folks tend to forget.

Chelsea play Spurs at Stamford Bridge on 22nd Feb. A possible top 4 decider? Chelsea have had better results away than they have at home for much of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Beat Chelsea next game and your 3 points off top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Ardent

eigrod wrote: »
    City still locked in the dressing room lol. Probably making another video aimed at Liverpool.

Pep is such a sore loser. Can't wait for his salty interview. If he turns up for it, that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

For a guy who liked to post at the end of last year that Liverpool fans had a weird defence mechanism for playing down their own teams chances I find it pretty funny that you have your own defence mechanism now claiming your own team can't possibly close a 6pt gap in 13 games.

Whatever makes you happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

8-10 wrote: »
    For a guy who liked to post at the end of last year that Liverpool fans had a weird defence mechanism for playing down their own teams chances I find it pretty funny that you have your own defence mechanism now claiming your own team can't possibly close a 6pt gap in 13 games.

Whatever makes you happy

Are you really comparing defence mechanism between Liverpool and United? Liverpool who have been on the rise for 2 years and are literally unbeaten...

To a fan thinking United won't get top 4 because of so many factors I can't even be bothered listing :pac:

• 8-10 wrote: »

Whatever makes you happy

It isn't really a defence mechanism.

Utd are ****e. There is nothing to defend. I've watched them under ole long enough to make the assumption that they won't be involved.

They have had so many opportunities to capitalize and the football they play under Ole is not going to deliver top 4.

Sheffield Utd have more of an identity and structure than Utd.

Back to Chelsea and Spurs. Actual teams with structure and a gameplan.

I suspect it will go down to the wire between them as I said.

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    Beat Chelsea next game and your 3 points off top 4.

Have you ignored 12+ months of form. A one off game has nothing to do with what I am talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Thought Spurs were well out of the top 4 race a few weeks ago but they are right back in it now. Granted, helped by the form of those in front of them.

• Advertisement

Personally think United could finish 8th or 9th.

Everton's next 3 fixtures are all winnable.

Everton V Palace
    Arsenal V Everton
    Everton V United

7 points there could see us trying to challenge for Europa/CL

It isn't really a defence mechanism.

Utd are ****e. There is nothing to defend. I've watched them under ole long enough to make the assumption that they won't be involved.

They have had so many opportunities to capitalize and the football they play under Ole is not going to deliver top 4.

Trust me I get it

4th place at the start of the season to a team like United is a disappointing prospect.

So if you convince yourself now it's impossible, and they end up 4th, it'll be a good feeling as a fan.

If you have no expectations you can't be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

probably wondering why they made the greatest team ever
    f u city
    fans are ok

Trust me I get it

4th place at the start of the season to a team like United is a disappointing prospect.

So if you convince yourself now it's impossible, and they end up 4th, it'll be a good feeling as a fan.

If you have no expectations you can't be disappointed.

I honestly couldnt give a **** if we finish 2nd.

Not with the people who are in charge of this club.

You either believe it or your don't. It's you that continues to make the assumptions of my thoughts on utd.

I've been trying to discuss Spurs tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

Happy with Jose in charge?

Happy with the result.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I honestly couldnt give a **** if we finish 2nd.

Not with the people who are in charge of this club.

You either believe it or your don't. It's you that continues to make the assumptions of my thoughts on utd.

And it's you who can't realise that you've done exactly that to others here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Everton V Palace
    Arsenal V Everton
    Everton V United

That would be amazing considering what trouble they looked to be in early in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its called reality.

You continue to lead this conversation to whatever path you were intending on

It's weird

We are done here thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Everton V Palace
    Arsenal V Everton
    Everton V United

Palace will be tricky

• Advertisement

Another great day.

City should have been home and dry before the red card, I thought Spurs were poor before that. Even sweeter :)

That would be amazing considering what trouble they looked to be in early in the league.

Only lost to City in the league s ince Ancellotti took over. And got some good results with Ferguson interium. That Newcastle result was a real kick in the face in terms of progress.

Clean Sheets and draws against United Away and Arsenal at home. Beat Chelsea.

It's there for the taken but don't think we'll be good enough this season but would take Europa all day.

City now play next weekend v West Ham while Liverpool are on break so it's back to having a game in hand for a while with City also playing first the weekend of the 22nd. Then reverses when City play the Carabao Cup Final.

Massive games against a club from Madrid before then too for both teams.

Loving how this season is going.

• Only lost to City in the league s ince Ancellotti took over. And got some good results with Ferguson interium. That Newcastle result was a real kick in the face in terms of progress.

Clean Sheets and draws against United Away and Arsenal at home. Beat Chelsea.

It's there for the taken but don't think we'll be good enough this season but would take Europa all day.

Always had big repesct for Ancellotti

Another manager whose achievements some times dont get the respect they deserve

Jealous of Everton at the moment! Says it all really!!

Jealous of Everton at the moment! Says it all really!!

Facking hell. Do you want a pint? We're just slightly less **** :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Whatever makes you happy

Have you watched us play this season with any regularity?

We are awful at the moment, proper diabolical and as bad/worse than any time since the GOAT retired.

Of course we can close a 6 point gap in 13 games however given how badly we have performed in the main this season it's very unlikely we will go on a strong enough run aswell as having those above us screwing up.

That's not a defence mechanism, it's cold, hard reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Have you watched us play this season with any regularity?

We are awful at the moment, proper diabolical and as bad/worse than any time since the GOAT retired.

Of course we can close a 6 point gap in 13 games however given how badly we have performed in the main this season it's very unlikely we will go on a strong enough run aswell as having those above us screwing up.

That's not a defence mechanism, it's cold, hard reality.

Jurgen you’s are 22 points clear!! Wouldn’t say that diabolical at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm happy to admit I'm wrong when I am. In this instance everything I have said has been vindicated.

And why would there be lemons? I was recognising Liverpool's quality way back in the summer of 2018 when many of their own fans couldn't see it. It's the hits you don't see coming that are the hardest.

Sadly there is an inability on this forum to assess things objectively and dispassionately. Most are more interested in twerking for thanks which is why many users have left over time, and why the standard of debate has reached Youtube comment section levels.

Did you watch the European campaigns? Wolves I'll grant impressed but Arsenal struggled against Vitoria de Guimaraes among others. United were embarrassing. Chelsea scraped through on the last day. Tottenham got spanked by a Bayern team that went on to sack their coach. City were nothing special despite an easy group. Liverpool lost to Napoli and had more competitive games with Salzburg than in the EPL.

So all seven teams progressed... because of......???

What about the point already made about 4/4 euro finalists last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Jurgen you’s are 22 points clear!! Wouldn’t say that diabolical at all

Jurgen is a Man Utd fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Take the last 10 seasons. I think that’s a reasonable period of time to judge the competitiveness of a league.

Bundesliga - 2 winners
    Serie A - 3 winners
    La Liga - 3 winners
    Premier League - 4 winners
    Ligue 1 - 5 winners

Judging by that the PL is the second most competitive. And if you were to change that to 5 seasons, it would be the most competitive.

Plus, by the end of next season, the 10 year records for Serie A very may well have 1 winner.

Ligue 1 is fast going the same way. 6 of the last 7 titles won by PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's always amusing watching Pep when he's losing. Only saw the highlights and post match interview there. Thoroughly enjoyable.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭This is it

That's brilliant 😂 poor fella is on the verge of a stroke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Unreal. That style of denying blatant facts reminds me a lot of the “Minutes Played Mahrez” guy, wonder if it’s the same person? :D

• Advertisement

stats
    City scored 2 goals from 48 shots and won 1 point in 2 games against Spurs who got 4 points and 4 goals with six shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's mental the kind of conspiracy theories that Man City fans are coming up with the explain Liverpool's dominance this season.

There seems to be a huge chip on their collective shoulders that they're not a team 'loved' by non-City fans. There's always been a kind of desperation for other fans to praise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah yes these Conspiracy theories. Maybe some learned from the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

There seems to be a huge chip on their collective shoulders that they're not a team 'loved' by non-City fans. There's always been a kind of desperation for other fans to praise them.

You get this is a conspiracy theory of sorts, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Wasn't there a fact Stat that said liverpool would have 14 points less and city would have 6 points more if VAR made the correct decisions?

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a fact Stat that said liverpool would have 14 points less and city would have 6 points more if VAR made the correct decisions?

Even if there was, it would be utterly stupid as nobody can predict how games turn out after a ref, linesman or VAR decision.

Also, there have been several VAR decisions not go in Liverpool’s favour but it’s impossible to ‘virtually’ award Liverpool points for those given that they won all but 1 of 25 games.

This table gives some indication but again, it’s tells us nothing substantive and doesn’t include the favourable VAR decisions in City’s favour yesterday

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/3929823/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club

22 points - Try another angle for your perceived grievances.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

City fans blaming bat after the absolute sh!tshow in the FA cup last season that should've seen them knocked out is gas

Delighted with the ref that used the monitor to overturn a wrongful red over the weekend. Definite progress with regards to VAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Poor yesterday from City. They do so many things that are good, created loads of good chances, controlled the game and really didn't give much away on the counter. They miss a penalty, they lose it on a badly executed corner routine and then they implode. The implosion is bad but by the time it happens they should already be at least 2, maybe 3 goals ahead, their play was that good. I think I've said it on here already but what we lack is killers, ruthlessness in front of goal. Too many not confident to take on responsibility, too many passing the buck to others. Some of the misses yesterday were laughable and basically it's summed up the season. For all the defensive issues, if they were just more ruthless in the big moments in games they'd be a far better team.

Would still prefer VAR to be scrapped completely

Fact of the matter is Liverpool got 97pts last year and City will struggle to get 90 this season. Not sure what they thought would happen, they knew we were on the up but they're going backwards. We didn't force them to drop all those points.

even VAR can't save them
    relentless
    ridiculous
    rsavage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Can you back that up in any way?

From what I have read Liverpool have had 3 goals for disallowed through VAR and had 3 goals against disallowed and had one VAR decision leading to a goal for.

Can you just not accept that Liverpool are 22 points ahead and European Champions through merit?

I suppose the next step is the league is weak or Liverpool have been lucky with injuries.

It would make me happy for Sir Alex Ferguson to still be alive in May to see Jordan Henderson lift the PL trophy

We're coming for your f*cking perch Alex and we're running from our knees to get there

A quick google pulls up this from ESPN: https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/3929823/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club

So in the end, the decisions for City balance out against the decisions against.

DERP: Beaten to it :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement