Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

8-10 wrote: »
    It would make me happy for Sir Alex Ferguson to still be alive in May to see Jordan Henderson lift the PL trophy

We're coming for your f*cking perch Alex and we're running from our knees to get there

Are you still drunk? I hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

This is it wrote: »
    Are you still drunk? I hope so.

Oh yeah all season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

"The league is not competitive this year" - that is because Liverpool's form this season has been better than any team, pretty much anywhere, pretty much ever.

"The league was not competitive last year outside the top 2" - that is because Liverpool and Man City of last season were 2 of the best teams the league has ever seen. The top 3 points totals in PL history:
    - Man City - 2017/2018
    - Man City - 2018/2019
    - Liverpool - 2018/2019

Outside those two teams, the teams are as mediocre and inconsistent as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why can't Liverpool be performing excellently AND the league be of a poor standard? What exactly is so wrong with both of those things being true?

Liverpool are winning European cups for gods sake, its clear and obvious that they are a top quality team. But its also clear and obvious that a lot of England's historically big sides are all currently in a pretty bad state.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It would make me happy for Sir Alex Ferguson to still be alive in May to see Jordan Henderson lift the PL trophy

We're coming for your f*cking perch Alex and we're running from our knees to get there

Why would he not be? Strange post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

What a weird ****ing post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Why can't Liverpool be performing excellently AND the league be of a poor standard? What exactly is so wrong with both of those things being true?

Liverpool are winning European cups for gods sake, its clear and obvious that they are a top quality team. But its also clear and obvious that a lot of England's historically big sides are all currently in a pretty bad state.

What is the measure of ‘a poor standard’ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a fact Stat that said liverpool would have 14 points less and city would have 6 points more if VAR made the correct decisions?

Waiting to see the facts to back this up.

You're basically saying that 7 different matches have had the result of the game changed by VAR, increasing the draws to wins to make up 14 extra points. And which City games were the ones that have the result changed?

And of course, I am totally assuming that you know that teams are actually able to score after having a VAR review go against them during a match. I'll give you a good example. When Firmino scored against Aston Villa but had the goal ruled out by VAR, for having his armpit offside. That would have made the game 1-1, but instead it remained 1-0 to Aston Villa. Liverpool came back and scored 2 more goals after that anyways. Of course there is the mental side, and momentum swings of VAR decisions, but maybe just Liverpool are dealing with that side to the game now better than anyone else, and part of the reason why they have the name 'Mentality Monsters' attached to them currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ah man, come on. There's no need for this type of post.

It is great that we're getting back on our 'f*cking perch', of course it is. And yeah, i do hope Ferguson is fuming like any other Man U fan. But i do also like seeing him look healthy in the stands after his illness.

• Advertisement

Wasn't there a fact Stat that said liverpool would have 14 points less and city would have 6 points more if VAR made the correct decisions?

No there wasn't. In fact, Liverpool would still be were they are with or without VAR because they just go about actually winning the football matches instead of using excuses.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ah man, come on. There's no need for this type of post.

It is great that we're getting back on our 'f*cking perch', of course it is. And yeah, i do hope Ferguson is fuming like any other Man U fan. But i do also like seeing him look healthy in the stands after his illness.

Oh me too! But I already posted that I'm hoping to stay alive myself for it. You never know, nuclear war, corona virus, hit by a bus....I desperately don't want to die before the parade and was thinking it'd be nice to know that he was watching it too....if we end up winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Rival fans just need realise ts not a fluke or VAR's fault or referees

97 points last season , two champions league finals in a row and currently blowing the rest of the premier league away like no team has EVER done before ,

There just a bloody brilliant football team , week in week out they just win football matches, and its f*cking glorious

martyos121 wrote: »
    Unreal. That style of denying blatant facts reminds me a lot of the “Minutes Played Mahrez” guy, wonder if it’s the same person? :D

It's like the Man City fan on here who was trying to claim that Man City won the league last season by two points rather than the actual one point they won it by.

Why he was trying to claim this i don't know, because it had no consequence either way. Man City won the league last season and nobody was disputing that.

City fans can't seem to handle the 'big club' reality they've been thrust into by the Arabs. Their neighbours genuinely and naturally are a big club, but City fans can't handle success. They seem angered by it.

Remember when they won the FA Cup and a City fan broke into the media box to berate them over their coverage of Mo Salah. :pac:

Weirdos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Oh me too! But I already posted that I'm hoping to stay alive myself for it. You never know, nuclear war, corona virus, hit by a bus....I desperately don't want to die before the parade and was thinking it'd be nice to know that he was watching it too....if we end up winning it.

Do you usually talk so much shíte?

• Advertisement

Do you usually talk so much shíte?

I do yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Guardiola citing Richard Scudamore in a tin-hat fashion.

Pep Guardiola appeared to mock Richard Scudamore after Manchester City’s 2-0 defeat by Tottenham Hotspur, sarcastically questioning whether the Premier League is concerned that Liverpool are 22 points clear at the top of the league.

Guardiola all but conceded the title to Liverpool after the champions suffered another setback at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and he let out his frustration by appearing to refer back to Scudamore, who was the league’s chief executive at the time, saying he would like “someone to get a little bit closer to City” during an interview in August 2018. City had won the title by 18 points the season before.

Of course Blue Loon is lapping it up. They were increasingly on his case, but now he's is fighting for the club again apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As dignified as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

pjohnson wrote: »
    As dignified as ever.

A bit of a strange comment about Fergie being alive .
    But I would love to see his face "IF " Henderson lifts the league title as captain of current European and World champions with the highest points tally ever ,

After all it was Fergie who said he'd never make it with his running style

Is this why you think the league is poor?

• Advertisement

Jordan Henderson is now favourite for Premier League Player Of The Year.

IMO, he definitely deserves to be in Team of the Year, and in the conversation for POTY also. I would prefer if the voting was done in late April/May but it happens around February/March time iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Guardiola citing Richard Scudamore in a tin-hat fashion.

Of course Blue Loon is lapping it up. They were increasingly on his case, but now he's is fighting for the club again apparently.

What's the issue? Scudamore used those words that's a fact. Why is he not concerned with Liverpool being so far clear? I'll tell you why because he's a cnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

that's level one fandom but they're over finished , kaput

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Wow, one of the most disgusting posts I've read on Boards in 10 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

eigrod wrote: »
    What is the measure of ‘a poor standard’ ?

7/7 teams qualified to the next phase in Europe. Current Champions League holders are English. Current Europa League champions are English. Europa and CL finalists also English.

You can only laugh at these people. :pac: The utter lack of shame. Maybe one day they'll look back at this thread and have the dignity to be embarrassed of their drivel.

No point trying to reason with them. They're to be laughed at. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

UrbanFret wrote: »
    What's the issue? Scudamore used those words that's a fact. Why is he not concerned with Liverpool being so far clear? I'll tell you why because he's a cnut.

Well Scudamore is gone but the point does remain. It's an odd thing for someone in Scudamore's position to say and it has left them open to questioning this season.

Yesterday I didn't think City got the rub of the green, Lloris is a good yard off his line for the penalty, and it's quite clearly a 2nd penalty for the foul on Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Well Scudamore is gone but the point does remain. It's an odd thing for someone in Scudamore's position to say and it has left them open to questioning this season.
    It wasn't odd. Last years title race was amazing, generating interest and more attention for the PL. That's what the Chairman of the PL wants to see, not 2017/18 or this year. It was odd that Pep actually referred to it, he's distracted from his job if that's what's on his mind.
    Yesterday I didn't think City got the rub of the green, Lloris is a good yard off his line for the penalty, and it's quite clearly a 2nd penalty for the foul on Sterling.
    What foul? He dived.

It wasn't odd. Last years title race was amazing, generating interest and more attention for the PL. That's what the Chairman of the PL wants to see, not 2017/18 or this year. It was odd that Pep actually referred to it, he's distracted from his job if that's what's on his mind.

What foul? He dived.

An figure of power who is supposed to be impartial certainly should not be making comments like that, it absolutely opens up the organisation to suspicion. While I doubt the possibility of there being some kind of mad conspiracy, it does make you wonder about how things like fixtures are compiled ect.

It was a clear foul, probably even clearer than the actual penalty. They've bottled it big style. That being said, the only person I'd be in any way confident of scoring from the spot for City is Ederson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

What is the metric for deciding the league is a poor standard? Should you have the traditional top big 6 hopping teams out of it every week? And then lining up in order for 1st to 6th at the end of the season, with perhaps some variation now and again?

The only way this argument that the league is a poor standard holds up is if you think that certain clubs have an inalienable right to beat smaller clubs. They don't. Otherwise we even have this competition?

Any of the teams in the EPL can beat each other (with the exception of Liverpool who have entered godlike territory). Last year Huddersfield were on 11 points in last place. This year round Norwich are on 25 points. Similarly, Arsenal had a 10 point gap in 6th over Wolves in 7th. This time round there is a point between Sheffield Utd and Man Utd in the same places.

It's an incredibly competitive season. Arguably any team could go down, any team could go on a run and get into the coveted 4th place spot. Everything is to play for.

Except the league title of course because Liverpool have completely pissed all over every team in it.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Last year Huddersfield were on 11 points in last place. This year round Norwich are on 25 points.

Oh christ is this more alternative shíte again?

Norwich have 18 pts in the actual PL Table.

Why do some people need to embellish reality. It only discredits their actual (possibly valid) point.

• Advertisement

Oh christ is this more alternative shíte again?

Norwich have 18 pts in the actual PL Table.

Why do some people need to embellish reality. It only discredits their actual (possibly valid) point.

Or it might have been a simple mistake in the post?

eigrod wrote: »
    Or it might have been a simple mistake in the post?

It happens so bloody often. If people are going to use stats to prove an argument use the right flipping stats.

An figure of power who is supposed to be impartial certainly should not be making comments like that, it absolutely opens up the organisation to suspicion.
    Only to tin foil hat wearers. It was a nothing comment. If it was said this year, I wouldn't care. They want a good competition for the growth of the PL.
    While I doubt the possibility of there being some kind of mad conspiracy, it does make you wonder about how things like fixtures are compiled ect.
    In a season when Liverpool have had a crazy fixture list? No, I don't wonder about it at all.
    It was a clear foul, probably even clearer than the actual penalty. They've bottled it big style.
    It was a clear dive. Lucky for Sterling that VAR couldn't advise the ref to give a second yellow.

Given that Sterling should/could have seen red early in the game, and then should have a second yellow for his dive; Pep shouldn't be moaning about others, but looking internally at why he's being distracted from doing his job.

It happens so bloody often. If people are going to use stats to prove an argument use the right flipping stats.

The 2 of ye are literally discrediting an entire post with good points made, because of one simple typo. Norwich have 25 games played, so it's an easy mistake to make.

Can you name all of these other stats that are wrong and being posted? Because there is a lot of claims being make lately with posters and not backing it up. Your buddy is one of them recently claiming that VVD was being sold to Juve and that his source had 'multiple things correct' but refused to back these claims up. Instead he just flat out refused to talk about them again after making these claims. And then again today Orange2 refusing to back up his 14 point VAR claims.

Only to tin foil hat wearers. It was a nothing comment. If it was said this year, I wouldn't care. They want a good competition for the growth of the PL.

In a season when Liverpool have had a crazy fixture list? No, I don't wonder about it at all.

It was a clear dive. Lucky for Sterling that VAR couldn't advise the ref to give a second yellow.

Given that Sterling should/could have seen red early in the game, and then should have a second yellow for his dive; Pep shouldn't be moaning about others, but looking internally at why he's being distracted from doing his job.

Tin foil hat is an easy response, but if you're on the receiving end of such a comment it would only naturally put you in an uncomfortable position and I can see why Guardiola would question the intentions of the organising body.

Never a dive, he's got the ball before Lloris, Lloris has dived at his feet, he's made contact, in a situation where it wasn't City away from home at Mourinho's team on the rebound from a penalty which has been contentiously given it would always be awarded as another penalty.

Anyway, aside from some odd officiating, the problems for Pep are in our attack and in the mind set of the players.

Tin foil hat is an easy response, but if you're on the receiving end of such a comment it would only naturally put you in an uncomfortable position
    It wouldn't put me in an uncomfortable position.
    And comments from August 2018 shouldn't be on Pep's mind, unless he's looking for excuses and distractions.
    Never a dive
    Very much a dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

1 liverpool 73
    2 city 51
    3 leicester 49
    4 chelsea 41
    5 spurs 37
    6 sheff utd 36
    7 utd 35
    The 98/99 season after 25 games (utd had 26 played)
    1 utd 51
    2 chelsea 47
    3 arsenal 46
    4 villa 43
    5 leeds 39
    6 liverpool 38
    7 derby 37
    There is a 1 point difference if you add up the points gathered from teams from 2nd to 7th. The challengers this year are doing what they always do the difference this year is a team to date has won 24 out of 25 games.

In Germany bayern have 42 pts from 20 games after 20 games liverpools points total would have had them 16 pts clear. In serie A and la liga they are on 22 games liverpools points total after 22 games would have them 10 clear of Juve and 15 clear of Real Madrid.
    Its nothing to do with this being a shocking PL season or other leagues being more competitive. What Liverpool have done to date nobody can compete with.

FitzShane wrote: »
    The 2 of ye are literally discrediting an entire post with good points made, because of one simple typo. Norwich have 25 games played, so it's an easy mistake to make.

Can you name all of these other stats that are wrong and being posted? Because there is a lot of claims being make lately with posters and not backing it up. Your buddy is one of them recently claiming that VVD was being sold to Juve and that his source had 'multiple things correct' but refused to back these claims up. Instead he just flat out refused to talk about them again after making these claims. And then again today Orange2 refusing to back up his 14 point VAR claims.
    Well accusing me of discrediting the post is odd considering
    It only discredits their actual (possibly valid) point.

I acknowlege the point coul be valid. I've no interest in díck measuring league strengths anyway.

Who is my buddy anyway? As have no idea what you are tryin to accuse me off there but any link of VVD leaving is also shíte. Hypotheticals about VAR differentials are also far from fact based as to how they would impact a full time result.

But there is a difference between rubbish claims and rubbish data anyway.

Someone vomited out some rubbish alternate table percentage visualization junk last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

1 liverpool 73
    2 city 51
    3 leicester 49
    4 chelsea 41
    5 spurs 37
    6 sheff utd 36
    7 utd 35
    The 98/99 season after 25 games (utd had 26 played)
    1 utd 51
    2 chelsea 47
    3 arsenal 46
    4 villa 43
    5 leeds 39
    6 liverpool 38
    7 derby 37
    There is a 1 point difference if you add up the points gathered from teams from 2nd to 7th. The challengers this year are doing what they always do the difference this year is a team to date has won 24 out of 25 games.

In Germany bayern have 42 pts from 20 games after 20 games liverpools points total would have had them 16 pts clear. In serie A and la liga they are on 22 games liverpools points total after 22 games would have them 10 clear of Juve and 15 clear of Real Madrid.
    Its nothing to do with this being a shocking PL season or other leagues being more competitive. What Liverpool have done to date nobody can compete with.

Liverpool still need to win the treble, go unbeaten or beat city's point tally last season before they're considered one of the greatest premiership sides ever.

You can't be the greatest premiership side ever in February kid!

• Advertisement

Liverpool still need to win the treble, go unbeaten or beat city's point tally last season before they're considered one of the greatest premiership sides ever.

1. It's the Premier League not premiership
    2. What do trophies from other competitions matter when assessing a team in the Premier League?

Well accusing me of discrediting the post is odd considering

I acknowlege the point coul be valid. I've no interest in díck measuring league strengths anyway.

Who is my buddy anyway? As have no idea what you are tryin to accuse me off there but any link of VVD leaving is also shíte. But there is a difference between rubbish claims and rubbish data anyway.

Someone vomited out some rubbish alternate table percentage visualization junk last week.

You know full well who he is, and what he is doing. What he always does.

He posted last week that VVD was going to Juve and that his source had got multiple things "bang on" previously. When he was asked what these other multiple things that the source had predicted correctly, he didn't bother responding.

Just like how Ornage2 didn't bother responding today when asked about the Liverpool being given 14 points by VAR.

Now you are also saying that there is a lot of false stats being posted here, so I am asking you to back up this claim and give examples of it. Unless of course you are referring to the 2 posters above, but you haven't commented on their posts so I can only assume that you are referring to other people's posts, including the typo about Norwich. So which were the other examples of false stats that are happening "so bloody often"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,393 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Why go unbeaten? Surely the bigger the points total the better the side over a long haul? The invincibles drew 12 games for example. If Liverpool lose a match but end up on 34-1-1 and 103 points they are by any metric a better side. Especially when you include last season's points total on top of it. And a Champions League if you wanted to broaden it to include Europe.

Personally I don't think Klopp is arsed about the unbeaten season and will rest players if Liverpool are still in the latter stages of the CL.

I have no idea how Liverpool don't win the CL this year anyway but it really shouldn't come into the equation for the EPL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I never said they were the greatest side ever. Just that the league isnt particularly weak this year and the points total they have would have them running away with all the european leagues.

FitzShane wrote: »
    You know full well who he is, and what he is doing. What he always does.

He posted last week that VVD was going to Juve and that his source had got multiple things "bang on" previously. When he was asked what these other multiple things that the source had predicted correctly, he didn't bother responding.

Now you are also saying that there is a lot of false stats being posted here, so I am asking you to back up this claim and give examples of it. Unless of course you are referring to the 2 posters above, but you haven't commented on their posts so I can only assume that you are referring to other people's posts, including the typo about Norwich. So which were the other examples of false stats that are happening "so bloody often"?

Oh is this the t.hanks obsession kicking in again? Ah yes the boogeyman of boards. If its that twitter thing then (and I'm open to correction) that tweet was from the guy who "broke" the Rashford injury and is supposedly ITK with Fantasy Football lineups.

I think it was Harry that posted the alternate flourish table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

pages and pages of posts, all trying to deny what they know in their soul, that Liverpool this year are just plain awesome!

Oh is this the t.hanks obsession kicking in again? Ah yes the boogeyman of boards. If its that twitter thing then (and I'm open to correction) that tweet was from the guy who "broke" the Rashford injury and is supposedly ITK with Fantasy Football lineups.

For something that is "happening so bloody often", you are struggling to show the multiple posts that are showing false stats and information. Or was it just that one alternative table that was posted? You haven mentioned that table twice now.

• pjohnson wrote: »

It's very strange but consistent obsession dragging me into a discussion I'm not involved in.

Whats even more odd this information was posted in the transfer thread and not here and is a credible source. It was discussed with other posters in that thread.

It's as if this certain poster expect some given right for folks to reply. Not sure if some realise there's an ignore feature on this website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    pages and pages of posts, all trying to deny what they know in their soul, that Liverpool this year are just plain awesome!

Really? First mention I've seen of it...

....and is supposedly ITK with Fantasy Football lineups.

Lol. Fantasy indeed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement