Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Where is the minus 4 coming from for Liverpool?

Wolves at Anfield would be two points dropped as ref gave the Wolves goal. Match ends 1-1

Mane goal ruled out vs Man Utd at Old Trafford which would have been two points gained, match ends 2-1 to Liverpool

Palace had Tomkins goal ruled out by VAR so match ends in draw and two points dropped, match ends 2-2.

Azpilicueta's goal was ruled out vs Chelsea so two points dropped, match ends 2-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Is there any answer I can give that isn't going to be jumped upon by a few insecure posters?

I'll do my best to protect you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Wolves at Anfield would be two points dropped as ref gave the Wolves goal. Match ends 1-1

Mane goal ruled out vs Man Utd at Old Trafford which would have been two points gained, match ends 2-1 to Liverpool

Palace had Tomkins goal ruled out by VAR so match ends in draw and two points dropped, match ends 2-2.

Azpilicueta's goal was ruled out vs Chelsea so two points dropped, match ends 2-2.

ahhh ok guessing its not looking at things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Would be great if the term 'saltiness' or 'salt' could be banned? Just gives people to excuse to carry on crap with a cloak of it being in 'reply'.

Ps I'm not actually asking for it to be banned, just that it's stupidly childish and hilarious that people think that it's part of debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Liverpool still need to win the treble, go unbeaten or beat city's point tally last season before they're considered one of the greatest premiership sides ever.

You can't be the greatest premiership side ever in February kid!
    Meh you're arguing two different points in the same sentenace. The greatest prem side or the greatest side?

Statistically speaking the greatest prem side is city, that's no debate. End of discussion.

FitzShane wrote: »
    You know full well who he is, and what he is doing. What he always does.

He posted last week that VVD was going to Juve and that his source had got multiple things "bang on" previously. When he was asked what these other multiple things that the source had predicted correctly, he didn't bother responding.

Just like how Ornage2 didn't bother responding today when asked about the Liverpool being given 14 points by VAR.

Now you are also saying that there is a lot of false stats being posted here, so I am asking you to back up this claim and give examples of it. Unless of course you are referring to the 2 posters above, but you haven't commented on their posts so I can only assume that you are referring to other people's posts, including the typo about Norwich. So which were the other examples of false stats that are happening "so bloody often"?
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Oh is this the t.hanks obsession kicking in again? Ah yes the boogeyman of boards. If its that twitter thing then (and I'm open to correction) that tweet was from the guy who "broke" the Rashford injury and is supposedly ITK with Fantasy Football lineups.

I think it was Harry that posted the alternate flourish table.

In the post you quoted you also quoted your answer. The person who broke the VVD news is the person who break the Rashford Back story. He always b roke some Lineups.

Until now(That I've witnessed) His stories aren't wrong. Maybe this one is, but you have done nothing to argue that its not, other than OMG THE SOURCE IS BULLSH!T.

• Advertisement

Jesus christ. Yeh that's how football works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Jesus christ. Yeh that's how football works.

I didn't make table relax. Just explaining how they came up with totals.

I didn't make table relax. Just explaining how they came up with totals.

Apologies I just saw your post not the quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

noodler wrote: »
    What a question.

I wish a similar line of questioning was considered last season when Liverpool apparently bottled the league on January 3rd

Liverpool conceded the title from a sizable lead. Man City never had the lead this year.

I've no problems in lads saying Man City haven't turned up this season, but to say they bottled it, just shows a complete lack of understanding what the phrase means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

Quazzie wrote: »
    Liverpool conceded the title from a sizable lead. Man City never had the lead this year.

I've no problems in lads saying Man City haven't turned up this season, but to say they bottled it, just shows a complete lack of understanding what the phrase means.

Liverpool amassed the most points ever lost 1 game and went on a record breaking wins run to end the season.

Hardly bottling it. If they lose it this yr thats bottling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

City were strong favourites to threepeat. Their capitulation is the very definition of bottling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gimli2112 wrote: »
    City were strong favourites to threepeat. Their capitulation is the very definition of bottling it.

I'm unsure which is more cringeworthy, your persistence in calling it bottling when you don't fully understand what you're saying or the use of the phrase "threepeat" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

City had the luck last season.
    Kompany no red card,Sane deflected goal & 3 shots blocked on the line by City at the Etihad.

Liverpool last season with VAR would have been champions.

Great to see City getting no luck this year after singing about injuring Salah & fans getting battered in the streets along with no apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's not a poor title defence, though Liverpool have been at a different level to anything seen before and even if City's standards have slipped a bit, they still probably couldn't live with Liverpool's form this season, no team could. It's only 1 season though, there's no way they can be this good again next season, there's no way City can be so bad.

Also I think there's been a fair amount of disrespect to City this season. I think Le Sauz said during the coverage of the game yesterday, let's not forget this is a City team that have done the double, they've raised the bar in the Premier League and what they've done deserves a tonne of respect. I have no issue with them putting the league on the back burner, given that we are almost guaranteed top 4, and focusing on the Champions League. Back to back success in the league has earned him that.

You know this is a good post. Guardiola’s City raised the bar in the league to never seen before heights. That’s not really arguable in my mind. Liverpool under Klopp have had to become this good because of City. If 97 points can’t win you a title, the goal necessarily becomes winning pretty much every game. Which is what Liverpool have effectively done. You need competition to push towards greatness, and City have created that.

I do think his reign will be looked on negatively were he to fail in delivering a European Cup (and he took over European Cup semi finalists). It will also taint things if he quits early on his contract.

But you can’t seriously argue that his first couple of years in the league weren’t great. They were unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Worst general premier League thread ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Always makes me smile seeing small number of posters complain about how their team has no luck or laugh at others saying its a conspiracy and they be doing same for years.

Only the same handful to be fair. But got to admire the nerve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Since the 2017/18 season Man City have lost 10 Premier League games

Liverpool in the same period have lost once.

It's remarkable how difficult to beat Liverpool are. Last season it was draws where points were dropped. They've learned from that and now fight to the end because only wins will do.

We're witnessing a very very special team here. Watch them every chance you can because teams like this don't come around very often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/Jack_Gaughan/status/1224465966605774859

i find this incredible IF it is true.
    City have missed a host of chances. The players particularly Sterling need to looks at their finishing rather than team selection.

Hopefully Pep leaves soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it's never their fault
    professional footballers are so molly coddled they can't take personal responsibility for anything
    City haven't been great this year in some games, unlucky certainly and the pressure they've been put under by Liverpool's devastating start to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

gimli2112 wrote: »
    it's never their fault
    professional footballers are so molly coddled they can't take personal responsibility for anything
    City haven't been great this year in some games, unlucky certainly and the pressure they've been put under by Liverpool's devastating start to the season.

I think City are only 5 points worse off at this stage than at the same point last season,not a huge amount but in a season that Liverpool are flying it is.
    Pep is famous for tinkering with lineups so this season is no different. It's just that certain players haven't been up to scratch. It's the little things too,an extra touch or pass when a shot is on or mental defensive mistakes by the likes of Otamendi or Stones who has been dropped in favour of a kid.
    He might micromanage everything but he can't influence certain things in a system that requires everyone to be in sync. Liverpool in comparison have had everyone in sync and performing,they are playing slightly different to before in that they score and kill off a game,a bit like Chelsea used to under Jose. Score a couple and it's game management from then on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think City are only 5 points worse off at this stage than at the same point last season,not a huge amount but in a season that Liverpool are flying it is.
    Pep is famous for tinkering with lineups so this season is no different. It's just that certain players haven't been up to scratch. It's the little things too,an extra touch or pass when a shot is on or mental defensive mistakes by the likes of Otamendi or Stones who has been dropped in favour of a kid.
    He might micromanage everything but he can't influence certain things in a system that requires everyone to be in sync. Liverpool in comparison have had everyone in sync and performing,they are playing slightly different to before in that they score and kill off a game,a bit like Chelsea used to under Jose. Score a couple and it's game management from then on.

They were five worse off before the Spurs game. Eight points below their tally after 25 games now.

Sterling has dropped off performance and scoring wise since the scratched Gomez on international duty. B Silva not playing as well as last year either. They are two big losses compared to last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They were five worse off before the Spurs game. Eight points below their tally after 25 games now.

Sterling has dropped off performance and scoring wise since the scratched Gomez on international duty. B Silva not playing as well as last year either. They are two big losses compared to last year.

And Sane being out injured.
    And Kompany being gone.

Missing the influence of Sane and Kompany is their own fault though, as even though Sane is injured, they had planned to sell him without bringing a replacement anyway. And not replacing Kompany was negligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Worst general premier League thread ever.

It's not very competitive is it? I mean even the mod reviews have gone in Liverpool's favour.

You could tell from the feedback thread that they wanted Liverpool to win it, all mapped out early on at boardsly Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It's not very competitive is it? I mean even the mod reviews have gone in Liverpool's favour.

You could tell from the feedback thread that they wanted Liverpool to win it, all mapped out early on at boardsly Park.

Some varcical decisions along the way ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

People's bitterness towards Liverpool is amazing. Im not a Liverpool fan, but for years fans of other clubs slagged them at every opportunity and now they are the best team by far, the leagues not as good as before (FALSE BTW), VAR won loads their games. They bought the title etc etc.

Some Utd fans would actually rather a Liverpool meltdown rather than United come top 4

People's bitterness towards Liverpool is amazing. Im not a Liverpool fan, but for years fans of other clubs slagged them at every opportunity and now they are the best team by far, the leagues not as good as before (FALSE BTW), VAR won loads their games. They bought the title etc etc.

Some Utd fans would actually rather a Liverpool meltdown rather than United come top 4

Context is important.

For years certain Liverpool fans said they deserve to be competing and that it was their year etc etc. They were rightly slagged because they would never shut up about how good they used to be.

I'm 27 and I've mates for years saying how good pool were when they were absolutely pony.

Now they're good again and they're living their best life. Opposing fans didn't slag Liverpool for no reason it was brought on by absolute ridiculous opinions. The 'Unbearables' became a phrase because it got to the stage were certain Liverpool fans were so annoying it would only get worse if they ever won a league.

I've never heard anyone say Liverpool bought the league?
    I also haven't heard any United fan say they'd rather finish outside top 4 than Pool winning the league. United fans probably rather finish outside top 4 if it meant getting rid of the higher ups.

In relation to the league not as good as before. It's obvious the teams have slightly gotten worse then their prime years ago however it probably wouldn't make much difference.

United - Blatantly crumbled since SAF left and higher ups started ruining them
    Spurs - Terrible in the league for over a year
    Arsenal - Only won 6 games in the league I think
    City - 2 years of dominance, hard to maintain the desire. I think only United have won 3 in a row
    Chelsea - Usually mix and match transitioning at the moment.

But then you also have to take into account which team would beat them if they were in their peak in recent years of the above List.

City and Chelsea at Stamford bridge. United may have got a draw or two. Arsenal and Spurs no where near the level. And the fact of the matter is, even if you thought they'd drop points to those teams. They'd still be top of the league by a fairly large amount. So it's absolutely irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

They were rightly slagged because they would never shut up about how good they used to be.
    City - 2 years of dominance, hard to maintain the desire. I think only United have won 3 in a row

Ahem, Liverpool won 3 in a row:

1981-82
    1982-83
    1983-84

:P

One of the best teams in the history of the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Sure the league didnt start until 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I see Rio saying there are four lads who deserve POTY ahead of Van Dijk ,

He seems to be saying this a lot lately I reckon he's praying big Virg doesn't win it again and demote Rio in the debat of the
    Prem's best ever center backs ,

He mentions Vardy who for me has had a brilliant season but isn't it funny two games he didn't get a sniff in where against Liverpool , When VVD had him in his pocket ,

Personally I think its one of the hardest years to pin point one player because of just how good Liverpool are, In the sense that all 11 are pulling there weight and its not one or two players getting them wins,

As good as Vardy and KDB have been its hard not to pick a Liverpool player as there so dominate

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Ahem, Liverpool won 3 in a row:

1981-82
    1982-83
    1983-84

:P

One of the best teams in the history of the league

Football didn't exist then :pac:

He seems to be saying this a lot lately I reckon he's praying big Virg doesn't win it again and demote Rio in the debat of the

He mentions Vardy who for me has had a brilliant season but isn't it funny two games he didn't get a sniff in where against Liverpool , When VVD had him in his pocket ,

Personally I think its one of the hardest years to pin point one player because of just how good Liverpool are, In the sense that all 11 are pulling there weight and its not one or two players getting them wins,

As good as Vardy and KDB have been its hard not to pick a Liverpool player as there so dominate

Vardy hasn't scored in the league since the Man City game I think. Around now is when people start judging on the POTY and at the minute Vardy isn't doing it.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Vardy hasn't scored in the league since the Man City game I think. Around now is when people start judging on the POTY and at the minute Vardy isn't doing it.

Personally I think KDB will win the players player of the year , Not saying I think he deserves it but I think he will win it ,

A majority of posting voters in this thread would disagree with you....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It's KDB and 5 Liverpool players for me for the nominations at the moment. Vardy just that bit too streaky for me to include him right now. Ings could be a contender too.

VVD being underrated for how good he was last year. Probably my POTY this year.

Salah also not at all really being mentioned, despite being Liverpool's top scorer. I think he gets overlooked a bit based on how exceptional he was in the first season and probably won't get the nomination he probably deserves.

Henderson will probably win it, but I do think VVD has proven himself again the most important player in the league and so far beyond what anyone else in his position offers (i.e. the drop off to 2nd best CB in the league is huge). Liverpool have only conceded 15 goals this year, even in the early games when they weren't keeping any clean sheets they were only conceding 1.

Any time Liverpool are hanging on to a one goal lead he's there heading balls out, keeping everyone calm. Starts all our plays from the back with raking passes, has scored 4 goals too.

Having watched pretty much every Liverpool game, VVD is my POTY and it would take a lot in the run-in for me to change this opinion, but don't think he'll win it - cursed by winning it last year and arguably being that bit better last year, but I don't really think there's been any drop off from his imperious performances last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

KDB has had 2 outstanding seasons in the last 3 to be fair. And both were/are deserving of a POTY award. But, it's likely that he will end up not winning it in both seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Context is important.

For years certain Liverpool fans said they deserve to be competing and that it was their year etc etc. They were rightly slagged because they would never shut up about how good they used to be.

I'm 27 and I've mates for years saying how good pool were when they were absolutely pony.

Now they're good again and they're living their best life. Opposing fans didn't slag Liverpool for no reason it was brought on by absolute ridiculous opinions. The 'Unbearables' became a phrase because it got to the stage were certain Liverpool fans were so annoying it would only get worse if they ever won a league.

I also haven't heard any United fan say they'd rather finish outside top 4 than Pool winning the league. United fans probably rather finish outside top 4 if it meant getting rid of the higher ups.

In relation to the league not as good as before. It's obvious the teams have slightly gotten worse then their prime years ago however it probably wouldn't make much difference.

But then you also have to take into account which team would beat them if they were in their peak in recent years of the above List.

City and Chelsea at Stamford bridge. United may have got a draw or two. Arsenal and Spurs no where near the level. And the fact of the matter is, even if you thought they'd drop points to those teams. They'd still be top of the league by a fairly large amount. So it's absolutely irrelevant.

Your only 27 ffs.. if we go back even 15 years pool won 4 or 5 trophies in that time,not including the shield,more than most others,we just ain't won the league in 30 ..that's the major drought, pony plenty of seasons yea..but never ever irrelevant .. and we got slated by utd arsenal fans mostly.. Chelsea only later,city are good only recently..they were muck for far longer than pool..nobody really cared tho..

So.if we decide to laud in our greatness again in front of those who derided us..well...it's only proper order isn't it..fair is fair.

What's the problem? Look away if ya don't like it.

FitzShane wrote: »
    KDB has had 2 outstanding seasons in the last 3 to be fair. And both were/are deserving of a POTY award. But, it's likely that he will end up not winning it in both seasons.

Salah was excellent the year he popped KDB. Both were head and shoulders above the rest that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Personally I don't see past VVD and would have to disagree with anyone else.

Only Liverpool player to have played every minute of every game, at the heart of a defence that has conceded 15 goals in 25 games losing 0 games, few big goals along the way.

Easily the best CB currently in world football, he's been so good that he's making it look easy and we're becoming used to it.

Think Rio has got that majorly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think Kdb has been the best player in the league. It doesnt have to be a player from the team that wins the league which is an argument that has been regularly used on here over the years.

Should probably be a player who has played most of the season, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Context is important.

I have lots of Liverpool friends and none have ever said that is was our year again something that is false being said by others trying to push it as true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United fans got slagged too whenever they got dumped out of cup or lost league on last day of season. Some of them celebrated like their team won the league.

Its worked both ways and will continue to work both ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Take the emotion out of it and I think VVD deserves to win player of the year again but I reckon it will be Henderson.

The way Van Dijk is performing though makes me think that if he can keep it up for another season or two he will considered the greatest centre half in premier league history.

Mane was running away with it a few weeks ago, but has been injured and out of sight, out of mind i guess. Id prob give it to VVD myself.

Baggly wrote: »
    Should probably be a player who has played most of the season, though.

KDB has only played one less game than Van Dijk this season in the league,
    I think VVD deserves it more the KDB but I still think KDB will win the playersplayer of the year,

Mad to think De Bruyne is actually a month or two older than Van dijk such a baby face

Mane was running away with it a few weeks ago, but has been injured and out of sight, out of mind i guess. Id prob give it to VVD myself.

The voting should be done the first week of May. Still months left in the season.

DID SOMEONE SAY LETS VOTE AGAIN?

No?

Ok well lets do it anyway.

61TykyibXxL._SX466_.jpg

Vote here.

KDB has only played one less game than Van Dijk this season in the league,
    I think VVD deserves it more the KDB but I still think KDB will win the playersplayer of the year,

Mad to think De Bruyne is actually a month or two older than Van dijk such a baby face

Did not realise that. Just remember him being absent for the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

DID SOMEONE SAY LETS VOTE AGAIN?

No?

Ok well lets do it anyway.

61TykyibXxL._SX466_.jpg

Vote here.

Vote closed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

A lot of talk about Laportes injury and Kompany leaving as reasons for Citys fall of this season .

But not so much talked about Sterlings form

Its 16 premier league and Champions league games since the Liverpool game where he had the incident with Gomez at the England Camp afterwards.
    He has 4 goals and one assist in that time
    Compared to 12 goals and 4 assists in the 15 games prior to it .

Certainly in the games I have seen of him since the incident his finishing and decision making have been awful.

The big improvement we seen in him under Pep seems to have gone backwards.
    While he was all over the news immediately after the incident , it has largely been forgotten about but could still be affecting him.
    He also looks to be a nailed on starter for City now despite this form ,instead of fighting for his place like he was last two years , possibly because of Silva's form and Sane injury. Maybe without that "fear" he is 5-10% of it or is it just a blip in form ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement