Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Hes a good goalkeeper by the looks of it.

I don't really rate Kepa but it's hard to see Chelsea replacing him unless they can sell and recoup a significant amount of cash.

Would be odd to see a world record fee goalkeeper warming the bench each week!!

Using PL logic. Circa €80m for Kepa. €30m (maybe thats what i saw) for Onana.

Average it out; 2x €55m keepers.

Not as bad as one flop €80m keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Sky Sports must need some traction and mentions on twitter.

Combined Liverpool team currently with the United 99 team. Poll returned the following for a 4-4-2

Schemical
    TAA Stam VVD Robertson
    Beckham Scholes Keane Giggs
    Salah Mane

That team selection gives me a headache.

Baggly wrote: »
    That team selection gives me a headache.

Me trying to spell the goalkeeper gave me a headache so I just guessed :pac:

Haha it wasnt so much that.....just....as an example, winger heavy team with fast running inside forwards (kind of) but no central forward pivot like Firmino.

Its not a functional team. Its just a team of who their favourites are. I know these composite teams rarely are functional but.....bleh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Hes a good goalkeeper by the looks of it.

I don't really rate Kepa but it's hard to see Chelsea replacing him unless they can sell and recoup a significant amount of cash.

Would be odd to see a world record fee goalkeeper warming the bench each week!!

He's almost definitely gone from Chelsea this summer, ideally sold but I think they'll loan him as well.
    Nowhere near good enough, barring some kind of huge improvement for the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Baggly wrote: »
    Haha it wasnt so much that.....just....as an example, winger heavy team with fast running inside forwards (kind of) but no central forward pivot like Firmino.

Its not a functional team. Its just a team of who their favourites are. I know these composite teams rarely are functional but.....bleh.

You'd have TAA and Robbo sitting on top of Becks and Giggs too, the full backs on each side basically do exactly the same job as their respective wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Me trying to spell the goalkeeper gave me a headache so I just guessed :pac:

He conceded 37 in the league that season so it's an odd choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sky Sports must need some traction and mentions on twitter.

Combined Liverpool team currently with the United 99 team. Poll returned the following for a 4-4-2

Schemical
    TAA Stam VVD Robertson
    Beckham Scholes Keane Giggs
    Salah Mane

Giggs and Beckham out as they do the same job and Trent and Robbo,
    Stick Fab in DM and Firmino or Yorke as the CF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ziyech to Chelsea now confirmed by Ajax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Johner wrote: »
    Ziyech to Chelsea now confirmed by Ajax.

Good signing which, you'd imagine, spells the end for Pedro and/or Willian.

Ziyech, Pulisic and Hudson-Odoi is a good group of wingers, and then you've the likes of Mount, Barkley and Loftus-Cheek as attacking mids too.

They'll likely spend quite a bit more - a left-back, a new CB and a striker would all be on the list, you'd imagine - so it will be interesting to see what sort of squad they put together and how prominent a role some of the young players will play next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Well that is the start of the next summers transfer window which I would not be surprised to break the £2billion mark in transfers in the premier league alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wonder what happens to Dean Henderson next season, and who does he play for?

He's been one of the best GKs this season in the league, and nearly all teams would love to have him. I think there is only a handful of teams he would not start for, based on this season's form. In my opinion he has had a better season than DDG, but ironically I don't see a future for him at Man United given DDG's age, contract situation and stature at the club.

FitzShane wrote: »

He's been one of the best GKs this season in the league, and nearly all teams would love to have him. I think there is only a handful of teams he would not start for, based on this season's form. In my opinion he has had a better season than DDG, but ironically I don't see a future for him at Man United given DDG's age, contract situation and stature at the club.

I'd bet on him staying at Sheffield United on loan again.

They've done very well this season and the key to keeping that going will be retaining important players. Few are as crucial as him.

The upside for United, then, is that he can develop in the PL and remains on their books. Means that if de Gea leaves or declines in form, Henderson could be ready to immediately step in the following season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

DDG would be at Madrid now only someone forgot to put paper in the fax machine. I could see Utd looking to cash in, whichever of RM or Barce want a goalie more.I do rate Henderson.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    DDG would be at Madrid now only someone forgot to put paper in the fax machine. I could see Utd looking to cash in, whichever of RM or Barce want a goalie more.I do rate Henderson.

Neither will be in the market for a keeper this summer, though.

For a start, Marc-André ter Stegen is excellent so no reason for Barca to trade*, but Courtois has also really improved at Real in the last few months.

Even if both thought DDG (or another) was a better option, they both have other positions to tend to first and that will eat up the budgets.

I have thought for a few seaons that DDG's most likely destinations could be Juve or PSG but given that he signed a new contract in September, his price will likely have climbed even higher and that could rule out a move for those clubs for the time being.

(*unless his reported bust-up with Messi was something serious but I haven't seen that suggested anywhere).

I'd bet on him staying at Sheffield United on loan again.

They've done very well this season and the key to keeping that going will be retaining important players. Few are as crucial as him.

The upside for United, then, is that he can develop in the PL and remains on their books. Means that if de Gea leaves or declines in form, Henderson could be ready to immediately step in the following season.

Ya definitely, Sheff United will want to keep him for a 3rd season. You would think that they would want some sort of agreement for a permanent transfer perhaps, but how inclined Man United would be to agree to that is another thing. Maybe something like the Ake deal between Chelsea & Bournemouth.

DDG has another 3 years on his contract and I can't see another team paying a big fee & his wages due to his form over the last 2 years. Henderson would be foolish to play the waiting game IMO.

That said, it is a nice position United are in having Henderson ready to step up if they do sell DDG.

A young English Goalkeeper with potential? He should sign for Everton.

Everton can break him.

Ya definitely, Sheff United will want to keep him for a 3rd season. You would think that they would want some sort of agreement for a permanent transfer perhaps, but how inclined Man United would be to agree to that is another thing. Maybe something like the Ake deal between Chelsea & Bournemouth.

DDG has another 3 years on his contract and I can't see another team paying a big fee & his wages due to his form over the last 2 years. Henderson would be foolish to play the waiting game IMO.

That said, it is a nice position United are in having Henderson ready to step up if they do sell DDG.

DDG ,Rashford , Maguire and Wan Bisska are four United players going absolutely no where for the foreseeable

There is not a club on the planet who would "CURRENTLY" match the wage United are giving them,

• Advertisement

A young English Goalkeeper with potential? He should sign for Everton.

Everton can break him.

Would be a massive signing for Everton. It's probably a realistic transfer too tbf.

Would be a massive signing for Everton. It's probably a realistic transfer too tbf.

No chance,
    United will give him a new contract and loan him back to Sheffield United for the next season or two , Then make a call when De Gea is 32
    Lets not forget De Gea game relies on his reflex's which are insane , his positioning is quite poor for a keeper of his quality ,So he will age badly a bit like Pepe Reina ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bobby Madeley on his way back to the English game, that said not sure it'll be straight into the Prem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Saw that he was badly, badly treated by his employer. It's all fair and well criticising someone for what he did, which wasn't great but it was blown all out of proportion and context. The media should also be held accountable in how they reported it.

The poor lad is in prison. might need someone like Michael Scofield to help him escape....
    Seriously though, how many times have things like this come out with Pogba? I've lost count to be honest. Seems like it happens twice a season.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1228108861585985537

The poor lad is in prison. might need someone like Michael Scofield to help him escape....
    Seriously though, how many times have things like this come out with Pogba? I've lost count to be honest. Seems like it happens twice a season.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1228108861585985537

Same as Balotelli - bags of potential, but distracted by off the field concerns and disinterest (some cannot handle the enourmous wealth and cant get motivated). Would be a moronic club that would chance that, 'they can fix him'.

• Advertisement

It's quite remarkable how Team Pogba has engineered this inevitable exit, guardian says Man Utd will want 100m, I bet they settle for quite a bit less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So I heard on a podcast yesterday that John Moss owns a record store called Vinyl Whistle.

He has just gone up in my estimation now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus Pogba has to be the biggest btc (big-time Charles) in football.

Waste of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The grass seems to be eternally greener on the other side for Pogba

What a flop he has been. The ultimate YouTube footballer.

• Advertisement

Top Bin - OED approved!

https://public.oed.com/blog/new-words-notes-for-january-2020/
    From sport, we have top bin (attested from 1999), a British name for either of the upper corners of a goal, or a goal scored by sending the ball into one of these, of somewhat obscure etymology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Klopp said in his presser today that only Shaqiri, Clyne and Glatzel aren't in training now.

Great point of the season to have basically the entire first team fit. The run-in starts now. 6 more wins.

Wrong thread? Or are you taunting the rest? :)

Man City banned from Europe for 2 seasons by UEFA for breaking FFP rules.

Will 5th place get City's CL spot.

It's all to play for now if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Will 5th place get City's CL spot.

It's all to play for now if so.

Hope so. Then United will get CL and Ole will get more time at United!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Just been confirmed that Man City are a bunch of cheats.

2 year Champions League ban and a 30 million fine.

I wonder will the Premier League also act now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Hope so. Then United will get CL and Ole will get more time at United!!

As much as I’d like to think you are right about us qualifying, it still won’t happy. We just aren’t near good enough.

At least there will be a very exciting race anyway. All to play for between Chelsea, United, Sheffield United, wolves, spurs, Everton and maybe even arsenal

Mr Champions League Carlo to get Everton 5th and claim the CL spot.

• Advertisement

Are the PL investigating them too?

Mr Champions League Carlo to get Everton 5th and claim the CL spot.

That would be kind of coincidental after Liverpool finished 5th before and qualified for the CL, after beating a Carlo Ancelotti team in the previous final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭FluffPiece

6 wrote: »
    Are the PL investigating them too?

This will be an interesting point.

I think the Prem wanted to wait but now they will have to act,

The PL and the FA don’t have the bottle to do anything.

2 points deduction for last season....

Maddison was also lucky not to get a red card for kicking Doherty in the head.

Wolves take the lead.

VAR overrules

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Wolves take the lead.

Disallowed.
    This game needed a goal as it's just been drifting by without much happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,263 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

ERG89 wrote: »
    Disallowed.
    This game needed a goal as it's just been drifting by without much happening.

Was it contentious? Hear it was a close call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was it contentious? Hear it was a close call

Short corner, pass back was played backwards yet still called offside as heel was in offside position

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement