Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Esse85 wrote: »
    Scumbag player, not the first time he's done this tackle either.
    I bet you if he was foreign the FA would be looking at punishing him, but because he's one of their own he'll be applauded for his British Bulldog type approach.

also cause its Dyches Burnley - gets a big pass - is it any wonder Turf Moor is never packed with ther hoofball that gets served up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

thebaz wrote: »
    also cause its Dyches Burnley - gets a big pass - is it any wonder Turf Moor is never packed with ther hoofball that gets served up

It's because burnley is a town of 80,000 people. Almost 25% of the population goes to every match the highest percentage in English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

thebaz wrote: »

More because its a tiny town in Lancashire, with Everton, Liverpool, Manchester all within an hour of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I don’t want Watford to stay up cos it justifies sacking manager after manager. What a job Pearson doing tho

Why do people get bothered about sacking managers? Rack 'em, pack 'em, stack 'em. Plenty to go round and they're all getting amply compensated for their trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://theathletic.com/1501916/2020/01/02/injuries-can-only-go-so-far-in-excusing-bournemouths-insipid-and-sloppy-showing-at-west-ham/

This is a pretty decent read on Bournemouth, though there's not much insight that a casual viewer couldn't pick up themselves: they're not scoring and everyone is off form or injured.
    Indeed, with Fraser and Wilson off-colour, the latter currently trudging through a 12-match goal drought, Bournemouth’s supporting cast haven’t exactly stolen the limelight. Dominic Solanke looks resigned to being permanently ‘in-waiting’, having still not scored for the club almost a year to the day since his arrival from Liverpool. He has also only created on average 1.04 chances per game this season, while on-loan team-mate Harry Wilson has produced just 0.84. To put that into context, Fraser, who was introduced at half-time against West Ham, has averaged 1.64 chances despite an underwhelming campaign to date. His average last season was 2.64.

Howe’s options in attack have been limited, with Arnaut Danjuma and David Brooks both sidelined. The two wingers are also set be joined by Josh King who, with Jack Stacey, will miss up to six weeks with a hamstring injury. Injuries have always stained Bournemouth’s Premier League hopes but this season has presented a challenge the likes of which Howe has not previously faced. He feels it is his toughest task.

Those stats on chance creation are pretty damning. It's a debate that crops up in the Liverpool thread frequently re: Harry Wilson and I must say I'm very much of the belief that his eye-catching goals/frees have masked some poor displays. He's not helped by being surrounded by poor players and off-form teammates but there's no doubt the entire Bournemouth attack needs to create more and do much better.

The injuries are nuts: Ake, Smith, Danjuma, Daniels, King, Stacey, Kelly and Brooks all currently out and, as is noted in the article, a heap of others have come back to play while unfit as the squad is so short (Lerma, Cook, Stanislas, Rico and Francis all listed as such in the Athletic).

There's a lot of mitigating circumstances and I don't think even a relegation would necessarily torpedo Howe's reputation like it could some other bosses but there's no doubt this is the fiercest challenge he has faced in some time and they look firmly entrenched in a group of 4/5 teams that could well go down barring a total transformation in fortunes.

• Advertisement

Wilson scores the odd free kick or long range goal but overall I see nothing in him that makes me think he's good enough for Liverpool.
    Solanke was a dreadful signing for them too, £20m for a lad with one PL goal? Still don't know how Liverpool sold that one to them.

Hope the club stick with Howe, really like him done a great job up to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Quazzie wrote: »
    United get their asses handed to them, and the General thread turns into a pissing match about RvP's commitment levels.

:D

Makes a nice change from VAR chat. Always good to see United fans at each others throats though, it used to be my lot! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

rob316 wrote: »
    Wilson scores the odd free kick or long range goal but overall I see nothing in him that makes me think he's good enough for Liverpool.
    Solanke was a dreadful signing for them too, £20m for a lad with one PL goal? Still don't know how Liverpool sold that one to them.

Hope the club stick with Howe, really like him done a great job up to now.

Especially after Jordon Ibe and Brad Smith.

It'd nearly make you feel guilty when you realise those three have higher combined fees than Mo Salah!!*

(*probably not tbf - you'd have to imagine the reported fees - £15m for Ibe, £6m for Smith and £19m for Solanke vs £35m ish Salah - are all inclusive of fees dependent on clauses that will never be met in the cases of the Bournemouth signings).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Which makes bull**** of his "giving his all for Utd" claim then. He was a professional footballer doing his job and trying to get something for himself. What he did was not for Utd.

*this is true gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

More because its a tiny town in Lancashire, with Everton, Liverpool, Manchester all within an hour of it.

Don't be making sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Would love Burnley to go down.

Horrible ground,style of play & an arrogant manager despite playing football 20 years outdated.

Don't get the hate for Burnley, Dyche has done a brilliant job. When they first came up under him they played attacking football but went straight back down as will norwich this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Looking up some information for FF and I was shocked to see that Rashford and Martial have the same goals combined as Salah and Mane. Albeit with Liverpool having 2 games in hand.

I just generally thought Mane had close to 15 goals this season. He has 10 with Salah on 9

Vardy with 17 also surprised me. Knew he was scoring a lot frequently but that's extremely good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

doc_17 wrote: »
    Let’s keep OGS at the wheel. 39 points from his last 30 games. He’s doing great. D spending big money too. And Pogba is taking the p*ss out of him and the club. And if Pogba was scoring 20/30 goals or setting up the same you could, maybe, forgive them. But he isn’t. Utd are losing their dignity with him. And their money. And their self respect.

Woodward/Glazers probably couldn't do a worse job if they were intentionally trying to wreck the club. They put all their faith in a world class player with absolutely no real interest in making anything good happen at United. They have actually met their match in terms of marketing/promoting something thats not true because Pogba is running rings around them. The United way , youth, there is a plan , great transfer summer yadda yadda yadda.

Pogba is not at fault for the state of the club but he is a symbol of what the club has become. A Potential for greatness but reluctance to do what needs to be done to make it happen. Too wrapped up in what they can get from the club to get down to business and work out a way to bring the club back to the top. As much as I dislike Pogba, for what little we have gotten out of him at both his stints at the club, I dont blame him for wanting out.

Id say Woodward has once again cornered himself on Ole and Pogba like he did when he gave Jose a contract extension and thought he could get away with not supporting Jose in the transfer window. He has to make a tough call and instead doubles down on concurrent bad decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looking up some information for FF and I was shocked to see that Rashford and Martial have the same goals combined as Salah and Mane. Albeit with Liverpool having 2 games in hand.

I just generally thought Mane had close to 15 goals this season. He has 10 with Salah on 9

I imagine Rashford has a fair few pens to his name though. Missed a couple as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Vardy with 17 also surprised me. Knew he was scoring a lot frequently but that's extremely good.

Shocked at the Rashford/Martial v Salah/Mané myself. Wouldn't have thought it was even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Imagine if Rashford and Martial were playing in a properly functioning, consistent team what their numbers would be.
    Too often it's left up to them to create their own chances and goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mane has 10 goals and 6 assists. Salah 9 goals and 4 assists and Firmino is on 6 goals and 4 assists.

After that 13 other players have scored a total of 22 goals in the league for us this season. Really spreading the goals about more this year.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Also note that Firminho has 8 (same as greenwood) and then Liverpool have a smattering of players with 3.4 and 5 goals a piece whereas man utd have 8 players other than Rashford and Martial who have scored for a grand total of 12 goals, and that's across all competitions.

That's poor by any standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Danny Ings also has 13 this season which is impressive for a bottom half team and considering he played 90mins only 5 times and in 4 other games played less than 25mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Mane has 10 goals and 6 assists. Salah 9 goals and 4 assists and Firmino is on 6 goals and 4 assists.

After that 13 other players have scored a total of 22 goals in the league for us this season. Really spreading the goals about more this year.

Only Joe Gomez hasn’t scored this season. All other senior outfield players have scored at least once including players like Fabinho, Matip, Shaqiri, Lallana, Oxlade Chamberlain and Lovren who have been injured or not picked often. Very impressive.

8-10 wrote: »
    Only Joe Gomez hasn’t scored this season. All other senior outfield players have scored at least once including players like Fabinho, Matip, Shaqiri, Lallana, Oxlade Chamberlain and Lovren who have been injured or not picked often. Very impressive.

Scuffed shot from 2 yards tonight from Gomez to win one nil tonight so will do nicely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm not sure why Watford are appealing the red card received , it was a red all day long

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think you could possibly argue that it's not a clear goalscoring opportity. The other Watford centreback was very quickly closing the angle and he had kind of knocked the ball a bit wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

cjmc wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Watford are appealing the red card received , it was a red all day long

Obviously it wasn’t considering the ref gave a yellow.

I thought it was harsh myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

cjmc wrote: »

Hopefully the red card will be upheld. He knew what he was at. Tackles like that deserve a red every time. A yellow isn't enough there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Don't get the hate for Burnley, Dyche has done a brilliant job. When they first came up under him they played attacking football but went straight back down as will norwich this season.

Do you enjoy watching them play ???

Much more repect for Norwich , Bournmouth and other smaller teams that try and play proper football.
    Burnley bring very little to the premiership , and get bigged up cause the media love Dyche - I certainly wouldnt miss them if the went down , but they wont cause they are so horrible to play against , and if they get close to relegation they just up ther "physicality" to the danger zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

adox wrote: »
    Obviously it wasn’t considering the ref gave a yellow.

I thought it was harsh myself.
    He would have been through on the keeper. Cynical though not violent foul , red

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Another long ball goal from Liverpool. It's a huge part of their game.

Long direct ball into the opposing half turning the opposition defenders and if the opposition get the ball press them. Nothing new or sophisticated about it but if it wasn't Liverpool and Klopp it could be getting a lot of negative commentary on it from pundits and punters that maybe other clubs would get.

Very effective football btw. As a neutral of EPL games I'm a big admirer of Kloppball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Another long ball goal from Liverpool. It's a huge part of their game.

Long direct ball into the opposing half turning the opposition defenders and if the opposition get the ball press them. Nothing new or sophisticated about it but if it wasn't Liverpool and Klopp it could be getting a lot of negative commentary on it from pundits and punters that maybe other clubs would get.

Very effective football btw. As a neutral of EPL games I'm a big admirer of Kloppball.
    When has any team ever been criticized for long accurate passing?
    It’s one of the best things to see in soccer.

You might get the odd simpleton equating it with hoofball, but not many take notice of simpletons.

When has any team ever been criticized for long accurate passing?
    It’s one of the best things to see in soccer.

You might get the odd simpleton equating it with hoofball, but not many take notice of simpletons.

I think the point is they build a template in their games initially with long ball football. They get ahead and then maybe they play a bit.

The initial long ball is into spaces utilising the pace of their attackers. It's not necessarily to the feet of their attackers, they're happy enough to put the opposing defence under pressure. Let the opponent have it but under pressure in their half. It's the sort of thing that critics find foul with depending on who's playing it. Some had a problem with Jack Charlton's Ireland team when they did it.
    Klopp's Liverpool are essentially bypassing midfield as the main attacking base of their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Poor enough game.
    Not a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It can be guaranteed if Chelsea or United were generating a lot of their goals from long passes on the way to winning the league, there would be a lot more comment.

It can be guaranteed if Chelsea or United were generating a lot of their goals from long passes on the way to winning the league, there would be a lot more comment.

United fans are more worried about the absolute state of their club than what's going on at any other club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

United fans are more worried about the absolute state of their club than what's going on at any other club.

Why bring up United fans? They are talking about comments in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Beautiful just beautiful!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think the point is they build a template in their games initially with long ball football. They get ahead and then maybe they play a bit.

The initial long ball is into spaces utilising the pace of their attackers. It's not necessarily to the feet of their attackers, they're happy enough to put the opposing defence under pressure. Let the opponent have it but under pressure in their half. It's the sort of thing that critics find foul with depending on who's playing it. Some had a problem with Jack Charlton's Ireland team when they did it.
    Klopp's Liverpool are essentially bypassing midfield as the main attacking base of their game.

Comparing Ireland’s tactics under Charlton to Liverpool’s tactics under Klopp?
    🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

You’re entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion,... well I refer you to my previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Which would be fair enough no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Long accurate direct balls are only one of the many strings in Liverpools bow.

For others, it's a staple diet.

Variety is the spice of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Some teams would do well to employ any tactics at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Anyways, on the game, liverpool look to be in control, both teams look leggy which is to be expected I suppose.

Firmino has been very poor with the ball in the final third, suppose he could only improve that in the second half, though wouldnt be surprised to see Kloop switch him out around 60 mins for Lallana or Origi

The long balls by Charlton's teams were aimed for the heads of players like Cascarino and Quinn to knock down, not aimed beyond them to exploit their speed and turn of pace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This fella thinks Liverpool play like Big Jack’s Ireland. :pac: :pac:

Comparing Ireland’s tactics under Charlton to Liverpool’s tactics under Klopp?
    🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

You’re entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion,... well I refer you to my previous post.

Yes I am actually. The fact that you're laughing is really the point I'm illustrating.

Ireland had some great players under Jack Charlton in relative terms. They were criticised for bypassing midfield and turning quality players into runners all over the pitch. Liverpool are a rich club and can afford quality players but the philosophy isn't that different. Part of the philosophy at any rate.

With Klopp it's about getting the ball forward quickly into danger areas. Get ahead, play a bit of football then perhaps but they don't bother trying to break their balls passing through and breaking down opponents that will sit naturally sit in against them.

Go direct, even if they lose the possession, they go direct and then press the opponent in their half. That's Kloppball, or a big plank of it.

monkey9 wrote: »
    This fella thinks Liverpool play like Big Jack’s Ireland. :pac: :pac:

Yes mate, partly they do, that's exactly the point I'm making. Got it in one.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

To many lolz for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You’re talking through your hoop and to give you some credit, I know that you know you are.

The long balls by Charlton's teams were aimed for the heads of players like Cascarino and Quinn to knock down, not aimed beyond them to exploit their speed and turn of pace...

Yes, you're right there. That's down to the type of players you've got. If you've big guys you aim for their heads and try to pick up from their knockdowns or knockons. If you've got pace, you just put it into space for them to run onto.

John Aldridge was a quality striker for Ireland he ran his legs off pressing the opponent, like Mane and Salah and Firmino does for Liverpool's Klopp team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Jaysus :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Super duper long ball from Robertson😂😂😂

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement