Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Oranage2 wrote: »
    In the modern Era or at least since I was born

32rzwm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Man city are the only team to have ever won the caraboa cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Orange1 would be turning in his grave listening to this waffle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Aresnal have never won The Premier leauge,
    That's a fact
    it only been called that since 2007, United have only won it 4 times
    Was the EPL and the BPL before that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

8-10 wrote: »
    This is the best soccer team I've ever seen.

Big claim. Peps Barca team for me. Or international that Spanish team was incredible across the park

Big claim. Peps Barca team for me. Or international that Spanish team was incredible across the park

Yep important note that I mean personally that I've seen. So I don't think it's a big claim, it's more stating an opinion than something I'm saying is fact. And I'm clearly biased.

But to have only lost 1 league game since before the Kiev Champions League Final v Madrid is ludicrous. And I've watched every game in that timeframe and been to see a few of them live and every week I'm more impressed with them. This week it's Alisson and how valuable he is. No goals conceded in 12 of the 18 league games he's played in. We've only conceded once since the 4th December and haven't dropped a single point since October.

43 games unbeaten. 103pts taken from the last 105 on offer. 25pts ahead of one of the best teams the league has ever seen. No defeat at Anfield in the league or in Europe since April 2017.

It's silly stuff really. I don't know how you can beat this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

RasTa wrote: »
    Should be Norwich gone so.

If their survival was dependent on getting something from a team that's dropped 2 points all season then they are gone regardless.

How many ZDS cups have Utd won?

Nothing team

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Honestly their midfield was insane, the rest of that team? Not so much.
    Once Xavi, Iniesta and Alonso declined the arse completely out of that side. They still had Silva, Cesc, Alba, Pique, Ramos, Pedro & Busquets but the other 3 in their peak were the ones who really made the difference imo. They've performed poorly since 2014, not even a quarter final appearance since & none of those lads were washed 6 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

ERG89 wrote: »
    Once Xavi, Iniesta and Alonso declined the arse completely out of that side. They still had Silva, Cesc, Alba, Pique, Ramos, Pedro & Busquets but the other 3 in their peak were the ones who really made the difference imo. They've performed poorly since 2014, not even a quarter final appearance since & none of those lads were washed 6 years ago.

Basically played 5 midfielders in 2012, Xavi, Alonso, Busquets, David Silva, Iniesta with Villa up front. Insane levels of quality.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »

They won two world cups and a Euros in between. They were insane and the football they played was beautiful.

Villa in his prime was better than Torres in that Spanish team.

8-10 will reply to that post later or tomorrow as got to run, but agree with a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

They won two world cups and a Euros in between. They were insane and the football they played was beautiful.

Villa in his prime was better than Torres in that Spanish team.

Villa was played out wide a lot tho & missed the 2012 Euros.

It was 2 Euros and 1 world cup btw.
    I genuinely feel most of the top International teams were very average during that time.
    Germany in 2010 it was like the start of a newer generation with Ozil, Khedira, Neuer, Muller but they still had players like Mertesacker or Friedrich who wouldn't be caught dead at a big club then.
    Holland set themselves back 10 years when they got to a WC final in 2010 & the effects of that are still there now. It was similar to Germany in 2002 getting to a final while also feeling dramatically out of date.
    Italy & France had 1 good tournament between them when Spain were on top, neither even got out their group at the 2010 World Cup it got that bad.
    Portugal were gatekeepers that teams going to the final would just bypass they could not get that hump off their back for most of that era. Even when they eventually won a tournament a few years they weren't exactly a great side, it was more like Greece or Denmark winning one than a top team.
    Brazil and Argentina, the well was starting to dry of exciting talent by then, unfortunately I still remember a 50 year old Veron coming back & Brazil under Dunga.
    Unless you rated Germany or Uruguay higher than I did I'm not sure who they beat that were much use.
    I genuinely think other than Spain none of those would have done well if you asked them to play a top club side.

8-10 wrote: »
    But to have only lost 1 league game since before the Kiev Champions League Final v Madrid is ludicrous. And I've watched every game in that timeframe and been to see a few of them live and every week I'm more impressed with them. This week it's Alisson and how valuable he is. No goals conceded in 12 of the 18 league games he's played in. We've only conceded once since the 4th December and haven't dropped a single point since October.

43 games unbeaten. 103pts taken from the last 105 on offer. 25pts ahead of one of the best teams the league has ever seen. No defeat at Anfield in the league or in Europe since April 2017.

It's silly stuff really. I don't know how you can beat this team.

I agree that to only have lost 1 league game since then is an incredible achievement.

Talk of Allison this week, I assume you mean the save referring to the sitter that Norwich missed? That's overhyped tbh. He did what any good goalkeeper would do. That's a Norwich clusterfck. If Liverpool players made that error you would not be hyping the Norwich goalkeeper and talking about how good he is. More so talking about how the Liverpool players butchered the chance.

The counter argument to the above is ''His Positioning'' Horsesh!t tbh, as I said good goalkeepers get in that position.

The whole ''25 points ahead of one of the best teams'' Is all well an good, but context is important. City have won the league two years in a row. Momentium is tough to keep as proven based on league winners. Lost key players on top of that. Kompany & Laporte mainly. But that's no excuse overall and nothing to take away from Liverpool.

Agree with the rest, it's hard to see anybody beat them currently. Especially in a CL 2 legged situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

funnily enough I agree, this Liverpool team just don't have that je ne sais quois of a truly great side. Liverpool 88 for me greatest of all time, although
    most wins at this stage of the season
    FACT
    103 points from the last 105
    FACT
    coronavirus is the biggest threat to our season
    FACT
    We're going to win the league
    quite possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

If Liverpool win another 9 games they are quite simply the best team the premier league has ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No team has ever won the league since my kid is born*.

*I dont have a kid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

They won it last season

What bull**** are you spouting? The Gunners won the square root of **** all last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They won the lost in a Europa League final Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What bull**** are you spouting? The Gunners won the square root of **** all last season.

Woman's league

• Advertisement

Woman's league

And did city win the Man's league?

And well done...

bottom+of+the+barrel.JPG

Oh, can the women's titles be added so? Cos Liverpool have 2 of those.

Excellent. Title number 21 being added this season.

And did city win the Man's league?

And well done...

bottom+of+the+barrel.JPG

I don't know what the problem is. If Ireland female soccer team won a major trophy I think a lot of people would be happy.

I know it's know as supported as much as the male league but it's still a great achievement from them and a trophy in the arsenal cabinet

I don't know what the problem is. If Ireland female soccer team won a major trophy I think a lot of people would be happy.

I know it's know as supported as much as the male league but it's still a great achievement from them and a trophy in the arsenal cabinet

You should start a thread on women's soccer if you're so interested in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You should start a thread on women's soccer if you're so interested in it.

Might as well, clearly knows a whole lot more about the women's game than the men's.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Might as well, clearly knows a whole lot more about the women's game than the men's.

And you're a mod, WOW

• Advertisement

And you're a mod, WOW

Shame he's not a mod of this forum so he could ban you

And you're a mod, WOW

I miss this accusation regardless of non related forum... not.

Shame he's not a mod of this forum so he could ban you

Ha, banned for saying arsenal ladies team won the ladies league? Are you okay buddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

More for talking shyte I'd say.

This is it wrote: »
    More for talking shyte I'd say.

I'm on boards 10 years, you've barely been here a year, respect!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Stop embarrassing yourself FFS.

Since you were a teenager eh, or younger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭FluffPiece

Ah lads, he's almost like a lite version of statman Gaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If Liverpool were to win the league undefeated, I wonder will the PL present the special trophy at St. James Park, or will it be just be given to the club during the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

FitzShane wrote:
    If Liverpool were to win the league undefeated, I wonder will the PL present the special trophy at St. James Park, or will it be just be given to the club during the summer?

Subtle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Baggly wrote: »
    Subtle.

There is plenty talk here of Arsenal's league wins (men & women now) and Arsenal received the special gold trophy after their last league win, for going the season undefeated.

As far as I know, Arsenal gave the trophy to Wenger when he left the club.

TELEMMGLPICT000162490677_1_trans%2B%2BjbKN8q7TveG9ePBu0kIyPS0mnEJ1bgyRvTWKc5jgwdQ.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah the club gave Wenger the trophy, but he then gave it back to the club. It’s on display in the Emirates now.

Villa open the scoring against Spurs, Toby Alderweireld OG

Villa open the scoring against Spurs, Toby Alderweireld OG

Should've been 2-0, Grealish leaving Alderweireld for dust, puts it on a plate for Luiz who somehow manages to miss. I don't know if Ben Davies moved or it was hit straight at him, either way it should've been buried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This would be a huge result for Villa if they can get 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Spurs lucky it's not 4-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

TitianGerm wrote: »
    This would be a huge result for Villa if they can get 3 points.

It'll blow the CL spots wide open. It's mad the KDB or Aguero might have to join Wolves or Sheffield Utd for CL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Some finish by Toby there

Some finish!

England have an abundance of exciting attacking young midfielders/wingers who deserve some game time with the national side this summer.

Grealish, Maddison, Todd Cantwell, Harvey Barnes to add to Sterling, Alli, Rashford and Sancho.

Reina nearly pulled his shorts off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Incredible game going on between Alderweireld and Engels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

FitzShane wrote:
    There is plenty talk here of Arsenal's league wins (men & women now) and Arsenal received the special gold trophy after their last league win, for going the season undefeated.

I retract my statement. I honest to god thought you were being sarky for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What a feck up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Killa for Villa!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement