Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MD1990 wrote: »
    I was mixing you & Orange for a bit there lol

Ive seen nothing posted in here at all by Liverpool fans coming across as Perennial victims.

Not much to complain about this season at all.
    Id suggest not using the word Victims.

But I guess you know that already.

When people have to censor certain words to appease people who are deliberately looking for offence then it's a bad day.

Anyhow,I know what you are hinting at so why not just come out and say it.
    You are trying to connect it with Hillsborough when it has nothing to do with it.
    Are one set of fans going to become guardians of the English language and have license to say what words can or cannot be used in the forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: Next post that isn't about the Premier League gets a ban. This place is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Not particularly, not to Liverpool fans anyway. Although, come to think of it a 50 point swing in two years is not without merit.

But, Liverpool will have the league sewn up in a few more matches and priority in the league will wane. It will remain important for city.

Just shows though how fast the tide can turn. Enjoy it pool fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Think someone is trying to get their name out there. Can't see this happening
    Manchester City's stars could walk away as free agents because the club have fundamentally breached their contracts, according to sports lawyer John Mehrzad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

MD1990 wrote:
    Incredible turnaround against a financially doped side.

Don't remember them ever paying 75m for a central defender or 67m for a goal keeper, but what ever suits your narrative

I believe their record transfer fee was 60ish million for Mahrez

#netspendincoming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RasTa wrote: »
    Think someone is trying to get their name out there. Can't see this happening

Doubt they'd actually walk away. Yes a few might not want to renew contracts but they've been paid huge salaries by City and their partner companies in image rights.

Best season ever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

brinty wrote: »
    Don't remember them ever paying 75m for a central defender or 67m for a goal keeper, but what ever suits your narrative

#netspendincoming

Makes sense to get those 2 for those sums when you get your other 3 defenders for next to nothing and have a manager who can turn them in to world class and then have the best defensive record in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Doubt they'd actually walk away. Yes a few might not want to renew contracts but they've been paid huge salaries by City and their partner companies in image rights.

Read it again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

#netspendincoming

No way i could answer this better than Umaro, so I'll not bother..
    Umaro wrote: »
    Yeah, the Tour de France cheating is probably not a good equivalent to Man City's, since so many cyclists were blood doping. It was standard for the sport, the level of cheating is insane.

With the Man City case it's a higher level of bastardry since they can't turn around and go "well this is normal, we're just the ones who got caught". It's so clear that only they felt that the rules didn't apply. There was no other club in the league that could go out and make some of the purchases they made:

2014 they spent £42m on Mangala. Only to realise he's not very good and spend £30m on Otamendi in 2015. Oh no, he's not very good either so in 2016 they spend close to £50m on John Stones. Oh dear, go again... £57m another 18 months later on Laporte. This was £179m to solve ONE position. There are so many other players brought in on big money that just disappear into the squad and get quietly managed out later (Jovetic, Negredo, Navas, Bony, Nolito, ring any bells? and now Sane, Danilo, Mendy, Cancelo in the near future).

For any other club in the top 6, getting that initial £42m Mangala purchase wrong in 2014 would be a crippling mistake for that position. Look at Mustafi at Arsenal for example. All that value and wages is tied up in a player that you have to play and will struggle to sell if you want a replacement. Man City never had any such concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Very nice win for arsenal, though I think Arteta needs his own signings before he can be judged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

My team does things better and is better then your team...

No no no MY team does things better then your team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

eigrod wrote: »
    Makes sense to get those 2 for those sums when you get your other 3 defenders for next to nothing and have a manager who can turn them in to world class and then have the best defensive record in the league.

And sure VVD is worth double that now. Hard to put a price on Allison but he's arguably the best keeper in the world right now, well worth the money spent I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Mod: Next post that isn't about the Premier League gets a ban. This place is muck.

In the last 10 minutes, someone has actually went to the bother of creating a profile with the name 'rememberTurin' just to thank this post. Just a few minutes after posts going on about Liverpool fans being victims.

And people go on about Liverpool fans ruining threads....

But yeah, as for the Premier League. It will be interesting if Liverpool finish 25 points ahead of Man City as Man City finished 25 points ahead of Man City a few years ago. That season Man City finished 1st and Liverpool were 4th. The current gap between Liverpool and 4th place is 35 points so they are currently surpassing the 25 points barrier between the same positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

This is it wrote: »
    And sure VVD is worth double that now. Hard to put a price on Allison but he's arguably the best keeper in the world right now, well worth the money spent I'm sure

Definitely money well spent on allison when you see how Kepa is getting on at Chelsea,there is talks of him leaving in the summer,Hasn't been the success Chelsea expected considering the money spent

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    In the last 10 minutes, someone has actually went to the bother of creating a profile with the name 'rememberTurin' just to thank this post. Just a few minutes after posts going on about Liverpool fans being victims.

There's fuck all I can do about that beyond informing admins, and you know it. Why didn't you PM me instead of continuing to ruin the thread?

Don't answer that on thread btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ERG89 wrote: »
    I stopped watching at half time and thought they were the better side at that time. Second half must have been bad.
    For 40 million Joelinton with 1 league goal after 26 games is some going. .

Its his worst run so far but tbh theres nothing in his stats to suggest he was going to set the world alight. A goal every 4 and a half games or so across his career so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Very nice win for arsenal, though I think Arteta needs his own signings before he can be judged

Thought that was his first win in the league but checked and it's actually his 2nd

7 wins now for Arsenal this season. Draws keeping them out of danger

Definitely money well spent on allison when you see how Kepa is getting on at Chelsea,there is talks of him leaving in the summer,Hasn't been the success Chelsea expected considering the money spent

Something about breaking up with his girlfriend recently affecting him?

He's a good keeper but I'd expect a lot more from the most expensive keeper in the history of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

8-10 wrote: »
    Thought that was his first win in the league but checked and it's actually his 2nd

7 wins now for Arsenal this season. Draws keeping them out of danger

7 from 26 wow I knew they were having a poor season but didnt notice it was that bad! What's Stewart Houston at these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

He's a good keeper but I'd expect a lot more from the most expensive keeper in the history of the game.

Didn't realise or hear of any of his problems he was having with his girlfriend,for the most expensive goalie in the world he is very average in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Speak Now wrote: »
    7 from 26 wow I knew they were having a poor season but didnt notice it was that bad! What's Stewart Houston at these days.

bruce rioch would be proud also :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Erick lamalla had the same problem with form , he was terrible homesick when first joining spurs then his dog died , everyone laughed at that as a reason but it shows just how confined a life he has

there is no nights out or time to spend the huge wages your on its bound to bring on some form of depression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

FitzShane wrote: »

But yeah, as for the Premier League. It will be interesting if Liverpool finish 25 points ahead of Man City as Man City finished 25 points ahead of Man City a few years ago. That season Man City finished 1st and Liverpool were 4th. The current gap between Liverpool and 4th place is 35 points so they are currently surpassing the 25 points barrier between the same positions.

While they ignore that in the final few months of that season Liverpool rested better players in league games for the champion league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Speak Now wrote: »

Theyve lost the joint least amount of games , outside of Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

It will be many years before Arsenal challenge for anything even cups. They are light years behind Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs, Utd, Wolves and Leicester I would even put them well behind Everton now that they have one of the greatest managers of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

It will be many years before Arsenal challenge for anything even cups. They are light years behind Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs, Utd, Wolves and Leicester I would even put them well behind Everton now that they have one of the greatest managers of all time.

3/10

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

#netspendincoming

#itsbeenatoughyearforyou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Joelinton is a waste of space for Newcastle,appears to have a terrible attitude.

• Advertisement

How is a point light years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Joelinton is a waste of space for Newcastle,appears to have a terrible attitude.

One of the contributors on James Richardson Podcast has dubbed him Joe Wellington, but I couldn't possibly comment further.....

If the Premier League awarded 3 points to every team for every loss instead of 0 points, Liverpool would still be top.

If the Premier League awarded 2 points for a win to Liverpool, but left it at 3 points for a win for all other clubs, Liverpool would still be top.

Remarkable season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Peatys wrote: »

These stats would suggest that Joe Gomez is a miracle worker, but I think it's important to remember that Gomez hasn't always been first choice, and he's had periods where he's effectively been shielded by having Matip and Lovren as cover.

Van Dijk is obviously the biggest factor in all of this.

That's not to say that Gomez isn't great. There's an argument for him being the 2nd best CB in the league, but Liverpool have the best 3rd and 4th choice CBs in the league, and there really isn't much between the 3 of them - Liverpool still had, more or less, the best defence in the league without Gomez, and he missed a bunch of tough games, like Southampton, Sheffield Utd, Man Utd, Villa, Chelsea and Palace away from home, and Spurs, City, Leicester and Everton at home.

Liverpool have only conceded more than 1 goal in the league once, against Everton, and when you're doing that, I think statistical bunching can explain a lot of the increase in clean sheets, and Adrian being in goal instead of Alisson can explain a few more (not that Adrian did badly).

Van Dijk is peerless and essentially has no weaknesses, but the other 3 have good and bad runs of form, and strengths and weaknesses, and I think it's a mistake by fans to too strongly favour one over the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oranage2 wrote:
    I couldn't name a striker that plays in the top ten who is worse than Firminho
    Oranage2 wrote:
    I'd really love an admin intervention because pool fans are really getting out of hand, the forum has become terrible because of them!
    I think this beats all the stupid posts I've seen on this forum since I joined boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

If the Premier League awarded 3 points to every team for every loss instead of 0 points, Liverpool would still be top.

If the Premier League awarded 2 points for a win to Liverpool, but left it at 3 points for a win for all other clubs, Liverpool would still be top.

Remarkable season

if you gave every other team the maximum amount of points that they could possibly have achieved up to this point, Liverpool would still be top :pac:

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    if you gave every other team the maximum amount of points that they could possibly have achieved up to this point, Liverpool would still be top :pac:

Well you can't do that as they'd have played against each other so who do you give the maximum points to?

You'd surely end up with somebody on 78pts though after 26 games, and means they would have beaten Liverpool at least once so Liverpool would be at least 5pts off the top in that scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Remarkable season

If Liverpool didn't bottle a nine point lead last season they'd have won their first league title in 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If Liverpool didn't bottle a nine point lead last season they'd have won their first league title in 30 years.

lol, this again forgetting it was 9 points with City having a game and hand and they the next game being between the 2 of them leaving a 4 point lead in Jan anything could have happened in that case just Man City went on a run of 16 games winning, not many teams have done that.

• Advertisement

So when it's Arsenal, you count women's league titles as if it's the same to prove one point:
    They won it last season

But with Liverpool you're ignoring women's league titles to prove another point

Is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Looking forward to watching United Chelsea tonight. Should be a few goals and plenty at stake for both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Well you can't do that as they'd have played against each other so who do you give the maximum points to?

You'd surely end up with somebody on 78pts though after 26 games, and means they would have beaten Liverpool at least once so Liverpool would be at least 5pts off the top in that scenario

maximum amount of points achievable, means lots of draws

Maths not your strong point, besides it might only be 5 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Looking forward to watching United Chelsea tonight. Should be a few goals and plenty at stake for both teams.

it's really annoying me that both have exactly the same points as Liverpool but whatever the result tonight they overtake us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

That game on the opening day of the season was bizarre. Chelsea seemed to be doing okay and then were completely undone by the same issue four times - Man Utd's attackers did well to identify and exploit the weakness so effectively.

Their respective seasons have been strange since too. Chelsea got their act together, looked very strong throughout October, in particular, but have really struggled for consistency since. The perils of a young team maybe?

People like Tomori, Mount and Abraham have looked excellent at times and anonymous other times.

United, then, appear most at home in the games against the big sides - could be another big win for them here?

Totally Football Show pod this morning mentioned it would be the first time Man United managed the league double over Chelsea since the 1980s if they do it, which surprised me.

If Man United had a fully fit side - mainly the attack - to choose from, I'd say 2-2 or maybe a 3-2 win. But without Rashford, they could struggle to find goals so maybe Chelsea could sneak it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United probably won't score. There's no attackers who you can rely on who will be playing. Unless Ighalo is up to pace.

• TitianGerm wrote: »

For Chelsea maybe :p

Utd have failed to score in the PL since the Norwich game I think

But trust in Ole they continue to say

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ole will get the business done again tonight..
    Cushy home win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I am an Arsenal fan.
    Oranage is an embarrassment to me and other fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Ole will get the business done again tonight..
    Cushy home win.

Chelsea are at home

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement