Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

5 points now separates 4th from 9th.

Arsenal and Burnley only 2 points further adrift. With the inconsistency of the teams from 4th down, it’s left the door open for teams in mid table to possibly grab a champions league spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sighs of relief in the Sky Sports and BT Sports departments I'd say. MUFC win keeps plenty of matches alive over the next 5 or 6 weeks which could otherwise have been hard sells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Bruno Fernandes post match interview “I play for the biggest club in England”
    Sorry bruno your in a timewarp to 1999 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Maguire was trying to hold Batshuayi up with the bottom of his boot. That was sound of him :pac:

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    No but if one of their players are kicked in front of them you'd expect a strong reaction.

That's fine

But again a strong reaction should not make one bit of difference to the actual decision

• Fail play to Maguire for clearing that up

VAR decision spot on going on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

At current ppg 60 pts will get 4th, 2 ppg would get Chelsea to 65 pts although hard to see with current form. Spurs must fancy their chances of 4th now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Fail play to Maguire for clearing that up

Nice Freudian slip there Mick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A two nil win away from home at Chelsea and Ole still looks like a deer in headlights when interviewed.

Every interviewer now knows that can pressure him to giving an answer in post match interviews.

Ole at end of the interview even said the Man U media team want you to stop asking questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Fail play to Maguire for clearing that up

Greatest post match explanation since Gerard Houllier said Fowler was eating grass v Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's fine

But again a strong reaction should not make one bit of difference to the actual decision

I never said it should affect the decision I just pointed out that they were very meek in their reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

j23dyoA.png

Genuine lol, deserved :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Bruno Fernandes post match interview “I play for the biggest club in Englandâ€

He does, prove him wrong

Roy does not like Frank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

brinty wrote: »
    He does, prove him wrong
    Better not to get them going.

• Advertisement

Can retrospective action be taken now in the era of VAR?

If an incident has been checked and deemed fine by the VAR refs is that the final decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Can retrospective action be taken now in the era of VAR?

If an incident has been checked and deemed fine by the VAR refs is that the final decision?

Pretty sure retrospective action can still be taken in events of Violent conduct, would definitely be in the FA rules/Laws due to VAR only being available in the top flight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Chelsea have won 4 games since mid November.

Still 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The issues last night have little to do with VAR itself, rather the standard of refereeing on the EPL.

It's been terrible for years now. Practically made tackling outlawed in the penalty area for one thing, with penalties being awarded now for even going close to making contact with an attacker.
    How a proper ref would review the first Chelsea goal and the Maguire incident and get those answers..... well I don't know.
    Fair play to united on the night, they took their chances while Chelsea had enough chances before the break to ne comfortably ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Thought Keane and Carragher had a good rapport on MNF, the combined XI thing was gas. I was shocked Keane described himself as a very average player, he was anything but. Always felt his strength was doing the simple things well but he did them better than anyone else.

• Advertisement

• I get the feeling the can't stand each other though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chelsea have won 4 games since mid November.

Still 4th.

Reflection on the rest of the league as much as on Chelsea, they had a comfy gap now it's 1 point. They'll probably be 6th or 7th by seasons and.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I get the feeling the can't stand each other though

The outburst a few weeks ago was gas. Felt like they were going to come to blows :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Think Sky is manufacturing that from the spat a few weeks ago. They were milking it all weekend with the preview for MNF. They had graphics with fire spewing out their mouths and all.

Keane just does his normal thing and Carra will play along to anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The last line on the show summed it up really, when the presenter said "the ultimate Wind Up Merchant Roy Keane".

Did think it was cute enough that he just wanted to just pick all 11 players from United for the combined team and almost no listening to reasons why other players should be included. There was even a hint of trying to get Jesper Blomkvist into the side!

FitzShane wrote: »
    The last line on the show summed it up really, when the presenter said "the ultimate Wind Up Merchant Roy Keane".

Did think it was cute enough that he just wanted to just pick all 11 players from United for the combined team and almost no listening to reasons why other players should be included. There was even a hint of trying to get Jesper Blomkvist into the side!

in fairness it came across as his genuine opinion no matter how obviously wrong it was :)

Lehman was on yesterday saying the Arsenal invincibles were a better team. That kind of debate can never be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Roy Keane can't stand anybody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

How long until Lampard starts getting criticism? Man U are a poor team and VAR shouldn’t detract from how bad Chelsea were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He was always getting a free run this season, though if the defensive shape and strategies have not improved by the end of the season their CEO might just hit pause with regard to big spending on a Lampard coached side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

With all the moaning about VAR and Premiere league and what not at least its not LA Liga,

Have you guys seen they have given Barca special permission to go sign someone after the Transfer window has closed due to an injury crisis which is bad enough but not nearly as bad as it gets ,

They decided to go for La Liga team Leganes best striker and trigger his 20 million release clause mening Leganes have no option but to sell him and are not allowed to replace him ,
    Its absolut bonkers they are fighting a relegation battle and all of a sudden they lose there best player so La Liga can keep Barca happy ,

• Advertisement

With all the moaning about VAR and Premiere league and what not at least its not LA Liga,

Have you guys seen they have given Barca special permission to go sign someone after the Transfer window has closed due to an injury crisis which is bad enough but not nearly as bad as it gets ,

They decided to go for La Liga team Leganes best striker and trigger his 20 million release clause mening Leganes have no option but to sell him and are not allowed to replace him ,
    Its absolut bonkers they are fighting a relegation battle and all of a sudden they lose there best player so La Liga can keep Barca happy ,

In fairness there's a real possibility that the Premier League will allow Man City to keep a title they won while allegedly cheating in the form of financial doping

Teams with money get protected. Premier League have been lenient in the past. Remember Sheffield United getting relegated in place of West Ham after the Tevez/Mascherano debacle? The bigger clubs always win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

While I don't necessarily agree with it, it is an option available to all LaLiga teams and not just Barca apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This is it wrote: »
    While I don't necessarily agree with it, it is an option available to all LaLiga teams and not just Barca apparently.

It is but it doesn't make sense, its only an option if your have a season ending injury , So they can go meet someone release clause (every player has to have one in Spain ) but that team are not allowed sign someone to make a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

He was always getting a free run this season, though if the defensive shape and strategies have not improved by the end of the season their CEO might just hit pause with regard to big spending on a Lampard coached side.

He overachieved the first few months of the season & now its catching up on them. I didn't watch the game but looking at the front 3 yesterday it looked like a forward line that looked good 4 or 5 years ago but Batshuayi has been a poor signing & the other 2 know they are not staying beyond June because they are past it. Cavallero's is too old now to be in goals. He had no chance with the Martial header but his dive was so slow going for it by the time he was done it was half time. Like Lampard I don't rate Kepa than highly myself but he has no choice but to play him.

Have you guys seen they have given Barca special permission to go sign someone after the Transfer window has closed due to an injury crisis which is bad enough but not nearly as bad as it gets

That loophole already existed in Spain though, it's not been plucked from thin air & I think the same rule applies in France too.

• Carragher: “Liverpool will get more points than the Man United treble team did this season.”

Roy Keane: “When you win a premier league medal Jamie you get one medal, you don’t turn it over and it says how many points you got.”

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

A rule that all clubs agreed to and available for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Carragher: “Liverpool will get more points than the Man United treble team did this season.”

Roy Keane: “When you win a premier league medal Jamie you get one medal, you don’t turn it over and it says how many points you got.”

Haha

Keane doesn't even make any sense there. If you are comparing two teams who both won a league title the first thing you look at is the respective points won. It's literally what separates teams in a league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Keane doesn't even make any sense there. If you are comparing two teams who both won a league title the first thing you look at is the respective points won. It's literally what separates teams in a league.

I think Keane was comparing winning a league (which he done 7 times) to not winning a league (which Carragher done every time).

He was politely pointing out to Jamie what a Premier League medal looks like, in case he didn't know. dead sound like that is Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think Keane was comparing winning a league (which he done 7 times) to not winning a league (which Carragher done every time).

He was politely pointing out to Jamie what a Premier League medal looks like, in case he didn't know. dead sound like that is Roy

Makes even less sense than Keane did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It's great to see Utd fans and Keane scrambling for little victories lol.

This Lfc team is special though. They have completely overshadowed and destroyed Peps Man Citys team and their legacy. Something I never thought we would see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

ricero wrote: »

This Lfc team is special though. They have completely overshadowed and destroyed Peps City team and legacy. Something I never thought we would see.

It's 1 season. Pep's team have 2 league's, including a domestic treble, in that time. To me that doesn't seem like a legacy that has been "destroyed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's 1 season. Pep's team have 2 league's, including a domestic treble, in that time. To me that doesn't seem like a legacy that has been "destroyed."

We’ll have all your records within a few weeks though.

This Lfc team is special though. They have completely overshadowed and destroyed Peps City team and legacy. Something I never thought we would see.

Not yet, I don't think, but that could be something that could happen in the future for sure.

Liverpool will win the league this year but undefeated records, highest points totals etc will come down to how much they want to retain the Champions League and how seriously they want to take the FA Cup I think. If it means drawing a game by playing a weaker team in the PL and putting out a full team in the FA Cup to Chelsea and beating them, I would take that now tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Completely agree, interested to see how they get on next season and if they can retain the title.

Given everything that has happened recently, they might have destroyed themselves and their own 'legacy'.

Regardless of the outcome of any appeals, etc, they'll be seen as cheats thanks to mob mentality. Hard to get away from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I find Keane really dull on the Sky panel. He seems more interested in points scoring against the other panellists than actually discussing anything.

For eg, comparing two sides to decide which is better and rather than talking about strengths or weaknesses, he just dismisses any arguments for a quick quote that will be picked up by LadBible etc.

Same with the last thing with him and Carragher. Carra talking about how one special player can push a side close to a title (ie - if Man United or others get the signing right, they might win something) and Keane's response was the kind of childish **** you get in the pub - "yeah but you didn't win" - spot on Roy, but that wasn't actually the point he was making.

He's not the only one that does it but sky and the BBC seem way more interested in making silly clips and banter quotes that go viral on social media than actually discussing football. There was far more insight from Russell Martin about Norwich on Saturday because they were just talking football!

Carra seemed interesting on the Sky panel at first but now they're throwing him in to these situations constantly and it's really irritating. I used to watch the sky coverage but now I find myself turning on just before kick off, skipping half time and turning it off at full time. Very little interest in seeing them role out the same old tropes each week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Valencia might do the same thing.
    Any team can go shopping to replace a player who is out for 5 months or more in Spain.

Completely agree, interested to see how they get on next season and if they can retain the title.

This is something that I've thought about myself recently, retaining the title. Many will say that you have to retain the title to be considered a great side etc. This current Man City side are the only team to retain the PL in 10 years, so it just shows how hard it is to do.

Liverpool have small enough squad, relatively speaking. They have a core group of players that seem to play every other League and European game. They have put in the hard miles over the last few seasons (this current one and last). 2 back to back incredible seasons to be fair. There was no players bought this summer so the same players had to put in the hard yards again this season. Keep going after last season. Think of the likes of Gini, Henderson, TAA, VVD, Robertson, Salah, Firmino, Mane - rarely injured and play almost every important game where possible. That's 8 outfield players who have bought into the high energy pressing game and put in serious shifts in every game over 2 seasons already, with some of those players regularly topping running distances or sprints made stats within the league.

Now add in the international commitments of those players. There was an AFCON & Copa America last summer and there is also going to be another Copa America this summer, with another AFCON mid-season. Taking Salah & Mane and also Keita away from Liverpool next season, mid-season for potentially 6 weeks is a pretty big factor to take into consideration too. Potentially an Olympics tournament for Salah also. There was also a Nations League last summer, with a Euro's taking place this summer too.

For Liverpool to retain their title, I think some smart recruitment will be needed first, with an extra body in full back, another midfielder and a top class forward also.

UEFA have also handed City a big advantage in the domestic league by kicking them out of European competition.
    I have little interest in all this who is the greatest debate, all I want is to win this one league and that'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I find Keane really dull on the Sky panel. He seems more interested in points scoring against the other panellists than actually discussing anything.

For eg, comparing two sides to decide which is better and rather than talking about strengths or weaknesses, he just dismisses any arguments for a quick quote that will be picked up by LadBible etc.

Same with the last thing with him and Carragher. Carra talking about how one special player can push a side close to a title (ie - if Man United or others get the signing right, they might win something) and Keane's response was the kind of childish **** you get in the pub - "yeah but you didn't win" - spot on Roy, but that wasn't actually the point he was making.

He's not the only one that does it but sky and the BBC seem way more interested in making silly clips and banter quotes that go viral on social media than actually discussing football. There was far more insight from Russell Martin about Norwich on Saturday because they were just talking football!

Carra seemed interesting on the Sky panel at first but now they're throwing him in to these situations constantly and it's really irritating. I used to watch the sky coverage but now I find myself turning on just before kick off, skipping half time and turning it off at full time. Very little interest in seeing them role out the same old tropes each week.

Sky were promoting Carragher vs Keane on twitter more than the game itself yesterday. Both sides played their roles perfectly.
    Carragher changed his pic to a incredulous Roy Keane one, the same shíte bants he has with Neville.

The Vieira vs Keane all time combined XI was better. If only for the Irwin vs Dixon argument.

A rule that all clubs agreed to

Like FFP?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement