Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

8-10 wrote: »
    Like FFP?

Yes, but unlike the Barcelona transfer which is a rule meant to help clubs and which nobody has broken. FFP is a rule meant to help a very small percentage of clubs and which has been broken many times by different clubs, and which some clubs find ways of skirting around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

FitzShane wrote: »
    For Liverpool to retain their title, I think some smart recruitment will be needed first, with an extra body in full back, another midfielder and a top class forward also.

A left-sided fullback and Werner are already likely I'd say based on the reports.

In terms of midfield you have Lallana and Shaqiri likely to leave so a body in there is needed but not convinced it'll happen. Wilson and Gruijic will likely be sold or on loan again.

So that leaves:

Henderson
    Fabinho
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Wijnaldum
    Jones
    Milner
    Keita

For the 3 positions in the middle. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me for us to just suck up the losses and continue with this same group with the expectation that Jones plays more where Lallana has previously. Shaqiri hasn't played enough to warrant replacing. He's been a bit of a disaster to be honest.

How many midfielders do PL teams typically carry these days? Excluding wingers/forrwards. I'd nearly say the above might be enough.....but another body for safety would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

A left-sided fullback and Werner are already likely I'd say based on the reports.

In terms of midfield you have Lallana and Shaqiri likely to leave so a body in there is needed but not convinced it'll happen. Wilson and Gruijic will likely be sold or on loan again.

So that leaves:

Henderson
    Fabinho
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Wijnaldum
    Jones
    Milner
    Keita

For the 3 positions in the middle. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me for us to just suck up the losses and continue with this same group with the expectation that Jones plays more where Lallana has previously. Shaqiri hasn't played enough to warrant replacing. He's been a bit of a disaster to be honest.

How many midfielders do PL teams typically carry these days? Excluding wingers/forrwards. I'd nearly say the above might be enough.....but another body for safety would be nice

I think you have to account for year on year attrition, unexpected long term injuries and the sheer weight of games likely to be on the table for next year.
    Liverpool have done amazing to keep their first teamers fit for a lot of the season - if you are going to maintain a level of performance, and are raking in the prize money from winning (presumably), adding to your central midfield isnt a mad idea imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv noted on some of the match ratings from place on twitter last night Bruno Fernandes got a 9 or a 10

Did I miss something ? I thought Chelsea midfield out played United's but there lack of cutting edge cost them in the end,

Seems like people faling over themselves to declare the new signings and instant hit a bit like when Keita first joined Liverpool he was getting high ratings while really failing to impact games,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

Like FFP?

What? You're making no sense.

The rule is there for the Spanish clubs, they agreed and no rule is being broken.

The FFP rule is there for clubs and was agreed but is being broken.

How are you trying to equate the two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Iv noted on some of the match ratings from place on twitter last night Bruno Fernandes got a 9 or a 10

Did I miss something ? I thought Chelsea midfield out played United's but there lack of cutting edge cost them in the end,

Seems like people faling over themselves to declare the new signings and instant hit a bit like when Keita first joined Liverpool he was getting high ratings while really failing to impact games,

Personally, I'd have given him a solid 8, no more no less. Thought he had a good game, tried plenty of through balls (some of which didn't come off) and constantly wanted the ball. Had an assist too.

Speaking from a Man United fans perspective and maybe you're on the outside looking in, United have lacked a player like this in a long time. Pogba was that person but due to inconsistency amongst an abundance of other issues, we don't have it and it's been lacking.

Contrary to popular belief, United's squad is not bad, not title challengers but not bad. They have missed a player like Fernandes as well as a manager who knows how to use the players he has.

Fernandes also brings set pieces to the table, again another thing United have not had. Maguire has an aerial threat and it's the first time he's been able to use it from an actual good corner.

Remember that United would have had Periera or Lingard starting if Bruno Fernandes wasn't so he's automatically a massive improvement. Good start to this United career and no doubt more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Thought Bruno did well last night, his set piece delivery caught the eye (though so did Chelsea's woeful defending on set pieces). In general play he was pretty good, honestly never really caught my eye, his best moments were delivering crosses from set pieces or his free kick that hit the post. People are very generous with their ratings though, a 7 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Personally, I'd have given him a solid 8, no more no less. Thought he had a good game, tried plenty of through balls (some of which didn't come off) and constantly wanted the ball. Had an assist too.

Speaking from a Man United fans perspective and maybe you're on the outside looking in, United have lacked a player like this in a long time. Pogba was that person but due to inconsistency amongst an abundance of other issues, we don't have it and it's been lacking.

Contrary to popular belief, United's squad is not bad, not title challengers but not bad. They have missed a player like Fernandes as well as a manager who knows how to use the players he has.

Fernandes also brings set pieces to the table, again another thing United have not had. Maguire has an aerial threat and it's the first time he's been able to use it from an actual good corner.

Remember that United would have had Periera or Lingard starting if Bruno Fernandes wasn't so he's automatically a massive improvement. Good start to this United career and no doubt more to come.

All that is true but on rating a match on the actually match he didn't effect the game at all bar a corner kick ,In my opinion an assist form a corner isn't enough to give you a 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ricero wrote: »
    It's great to see Utd fans and Keane scrambling for little victories lol.

This Lfc team is special though. They have completely overshadowed and destroyed Peps Man Citys team and their legacy. Something I never thought we would see.

Little victories?

Keane won 7 league titles:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Will Rashford be back blasting frees into the stands when he's back from injury or will Bruno stay on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Little victories?

Keane won 7 league titles:pac:

Man of straw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Yes, but unlike the Barcelona transfer which is a rule meant to help clubs and which nobody has broken. FFP is a rule meant to help a very small percentage of clubs and which has been broken many times by different clubs, and which some clubs find ways of skirting around.

The La Liga rule massively benefits the bigger clubs, as they are really the only ones that can afford to trigger almost anyones buyout clause if they really need it.

The ban for City isn't about breaching FFP, it's that they were found to be fraudulently hiding their finances and their lack of co-operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The ban for City isn't about breaching FFP, it's that they were found to be fraudulently hiding their finances and their lack of co-operation.

Where's this coming from, I've seen it mentioned a few times? AC Milan got a two year ban for breaching FPP and afaik co-operated with the investigation fully. The extent that City would not co-operate would indicate they got off lightly, in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

noodler wrote: »
    Man of straw

Not saying much for rest of them so:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Where's this coming from, I've seen it mentioned a few times? AC Milan got a two year ban for breaching FPP and afaik co-operated with the investigation fully. The extent that City would not co-operate would indicate they got off lightly, in comparison.
    From the Guardian podcast and the journalist who's been tracking the entire investigation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Serious amount of empty seats in the City game.

ShamoBuc wrote: »

And someone suggested that friendlies on a Wednesday night would be a great money spinner if the CL ban was not overturned. Ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Weather or no interest in the league now that they can't win it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus the amount of empty seats at the ethihad is embaressing stuff.

Maybe a few of the "fans" have jumped ship already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

TitianGerm wrote: »
    And someone suggested that friendlies on a Wednesday night would be a great money spinner if the CL ban was not overturned. Ludicrous.

No that was the 100m the winner of each friendly would get from Sheikh Mansour was the money spinner they were talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Strange for Pep to be starting Jesus and Aguero. Is he second guessing himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

He did often say he’d like to play with 11 midfielders if he could get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

The Sheikh must be thinking "what's the f**kin point".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm beginning to think 2 out of the 3 relegated teams are already in the zone. Norwich have too much to do, but west ham are desperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Rodri competed more passes than West Ham tonight. Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Long game week 26 highlights

Everton V Palace

Brighton V Watford

Sheff Utd V Bournemouth

Wolves V Leicester

Southampton V Burnley

Norwich V Liverpool

Villa V Spurs

Arsenal V Newcastle

Chelsea V Man Utd

Man City V West Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Table
    76 Liverpool
    54 Man City
    50 Leicester
    41 Chelsea
    40 Spurs
    39 Sheff Utd
    38 Man Utd
    36 Wolves Everton
    34 Arsenal Burnley
    31 Newcastle Southampton
    30 Palace
    27 Brighton
    26 Bournemouth
    25 Villa
    24 Watford West Ham
    18 Norwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Table 76 Liverpool 75 74 73 72 71 70 69 68 67 66 65 64 63 62 61 60 59 58 57 56 55 54 Man City 53 52 51 50 Leicester 49 48 47 46 45 44 43 42 41 Chelsea 40 Spurs 39 Sheff Utd 38 Man Utd 37 36 Wolves Everton 35 34 Arsenal Burnley 33 32 31 Newcastle Southampton 30 Palace 29 28 27 Brighton 26 Bournemouth 25 Villa 24 Watford West Ham 23 22 21 20 19 18 Norwich

No one cares for this bull

brinty wrote: »

I care and appreciate the work the lads do updating it. Loads of others do as well and it's been posted nearly every game week for a few seasons now. If you don't like it you can always ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

You mean you don`t care for it for whatever reason. Plenty do including myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I do

No one cares for the premier league table in the premier league thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Its really hurting isn't it,keep up the good work citytillidie

Oh I see the hive is out in force tonight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Ah sure we have to give you the attention you crave,you have been busy around these parts today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

United are there, you just have to scroll way way down.

This is it wrote: »
    United are there, you just have to scroll way way down.

That parts interesting really shows how close they are together and looks like arsenal might be a touch too far already .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

KDB now has 8 goals and 18 assists. He should really win POTY he has been the standout player this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We see you are stirring your shi'te again.

Put citytilidie on ignore - that's what I do :p

• Advertisement

KDB now has 8 goals and 18 assists. He should really win POTY he has been the standout player this year.

Well said, and he's been injured quite a bit. Imagine if he was fully fit for the whole season
    Same number of goals and assists as all of 2016/2017 and 2017/2018. That's some record.

Well said, and he's been injured quite a bit. Imagine if he was fully fit for the whole season
    Same number of goals and assists as all of 2016/2017 and 2017/2018. That's some record.

He's missed one PL game this year? Are you thinking of last season with the injuries?

Edit: according to TransferMarkt he's played 88% of the available minutes, started 24 games and only came off the bench once this season.

TitianGerm wrote:
    He's missed one PL game this year? Are you thinking of last season with the injuries?

That's fair, but still startling numbers. Took him 36 and 37 matches to fo that previously

That's fair, but still startling numbers. Took him 36 and 37 matches to fo that previously

Yes he's been playing very well. He's stepped up a bit more now that Sterling is going through a dry spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

City could be struggling as bad as their cross city rivals if they didn't have KDB hitting those numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sterling has fallen of a cliff and has been the drizzling ****s since Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

He got put in his place by Gomez and like any spoiled child is now sulking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

76 Liverpool
    38 Man Utd

503330.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I like that table as it is easier to see what teams are battling who for certain positions or relegation, European battles etc because they are grouped together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ricero wrote: »
    Sterling has fallen of a cliff and has been the drizzling ****s since Christmas.

I know, I thought he'd be POTY at one stage he started the season so well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement