Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

*Subject to change depending on participation in UEFA competitions
    **Subject to change depending on FA Cup participation
    ***Subject to postponement/change depending on UEFA Europa League/FA Cup participation

Saturday 4 April 2020
    12:30 Aston Villa v Wolves (BT Sport)
    17:30 Sheff Utd v Spurs (Sky Sports)*

Sunday 5 April 2020
    14:00 West Ham v Chelsea (Sky Sports)*
    16:30 Man City v Liverpool (Sky Sports)*

Monday 6 April 2020
    20:00 Everton v Leicester (Sky Sports)

Saturday 11 April 2020
    12:30 Man Utd v AFC Bournemouth (BT Sport)*
    17:30 Spurs v Everton (Sky Sports)*

Sunday 12 April 2020
    14:00 Chelsea v Watford (Sky Sports)*
    16:30 Liverpool v Aston Villa (Sky Sports)*

Monday 13 April 2020
    20:00 Wolves v Arsenal (Sky Sports)

Saturday 18 April 2020
    12:30 Crystal Palace v Chelsea (Sky Sports)**
    17:30 Arsenal v Leicester (Sky Sports)***

Sunday 19 April 2020
    14:00 Sheff Utd v Wolves (Sky Sports)**
    16:30 Aston Villa v Man Utd (Sky Sports)**

Monday 20 April 2020
    20:00 Brighton v Liverpool (Sky Sports)**

Saturday 25 April 2020
    12:30 Liverpool v Burnley (BT Sport)
    17:30 Brighton v Man City (Sky Sports)*

Sunday 26 April 2020
    14:00 Sheff Utd v Chelsea (Sky Sports)*
    16:30 Spurs v Arsenal (Sky Sports)*

Monday 27 April 2020
    20:00 Aston Villa v Crystal Palace (Sky Sports)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Spurs v Everton may switch with Liverpool v Villa yet.

It's a cert to get moved if Liverpool progress in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Mad to think it'll be 8 years since United were PL winners now after this year. I knew they'd struggle without Ferguson but I never thought it'd get to this level.

Fair play to Brinty for highlighting it.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

If a child did what Binty did you would be all ah shucks and pat them on the head, When an adult does it you would have to worry about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Winter yellow ball is finished for the season, the PL are bringing in a new 3rd ball for the final few months of the season

Nike-Tunnel-Vision-1.jpg?width=500&height=333

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1615163

It's BB-8!

imgrc0067861293.jpg

https://twitter.com/City_Xtra/status/1230829771564687360?s=19

https://twitter.com/City_Xtra/status/1230829783258484738?s=19

Interesting enough comments from Sterling. He is saying that Yaya should have got the POTY award instead of (his teammate at the time) Suarez who had one of the best single seasons in PL history and also suggesting KDB should have won instead of Salah.

I think it's funny him coming out with it though after he got caught tactically voting last seaso ln against VVD whereas VVD voted for Sterling in it. To be fair KDB had got a shout this season. A strong one too, as does VVD again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Saw a report on Newstalk that Hendo is out for 3 weeks.

Baggly wrote: »
    Saw a report on Newstalk that Hendo is out for 3 weeks.

3 plus I would think. Will end the talk of him and POTY I would think. Still should see him in TOTY in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's astonishing they've won 25 out of 26 with the chronic injuries they've had all season

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    Interesting enough comments from Sterling. He is saying that Yaya should have got the POTY award instead of (his teammate at the time) Suarez who had one of the best single seasons in PL history and also suggesting KDB should have won instead of Salah.

I think it's funny him coming out with it though after he got caught tactically voting last seaso ln against VVD whereas VVD voted for Sterling in it. To be fair KDB had got a shout this season. A strong one too, as does VVD again.

The Toure and KDB ones were just bad luck, to come during such immense seasons by Suarez and Salah... the best two individual seasons by Liverpool players for probably 20 years. Just total outlier stuff.

On the surface it feels a bit odd alright that City haven't had any winners during that period, but part of it is definitely down to the sheer strength of their squad. Liverpool wouldn't have challenged in 13/14 without Suarez - he was a beacon standing out from everyone else. Same for Salah in 17/18, he could literally do no wrong that season. Meanwhile, most of the city teams have been such good teams, that individuals haven't stuck out as much.

KDB is in with a good shout this season alright... he looks a class apart for them, though their underperformance compared to previous years will hurt him a bit, but he's been absolutely excellent. Between the PFA and the writers one, I think KDB will get one and Hendo will get the other, dunno which though. VVD only missing out cause he was honored last season. Sterling himself looked a shoe in until his form literally collapsed.

Weird one for Sterling to be complaining about it though... it feels like the same "UEFA are out to get us" thing, but this is voted by all the other players in the league, so there is no "they" to speak of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's astonishing they've won 25 out of 26 with the chronic injuries they've had all season

Who was chronically injured?

Allison briefly
    Fab?
    Hendo now?
    Gomez for awhile ? But wasn't a starter at the time iirc?

Matip, Mane, Keita, Lovern, the Cube, Milner and Ox off the top of my head. Unreal stuff,

Allison briefly
    Fab?
    Hendo now?

Allison missed 1/3rd of the season, Fab missed months, Gomez missed a spell, then Matip missed months, and then Lovren missed months. Ox spent bloody ages finally getting up to match fitness then got knocked back for a good month or so. Keita missed months (actually has barely been fit). Milner missed about a month or so. Shaq has been injured on and off all season. Mane missed a good chunk.

Actually been really badly hit with injuries.

Matip, Mane, Keita, Lovern, the Cube, Milner and Ox off the top of my head. Unreal stuff,

Ah here :pac:

If you're talking about general injuries throughout the season it's literally no more than most teams.

Mane has missed 3 league games all season
    Lovern never gonna play as you know
    Keita - squad player
    Shaq - squad player
    Milner - Squad player but a lose, how many games did he miss?
    Ox - Squad player

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Mane missed a good chunk.

2 league games back to back and another game earlier in the season. No clue if that was injury related off hand.

• Advertisement

Allison briefly
    Fab?
    Hendo now?

Robertson playeed with a small ankle injury too, but Salah had a bad period with that ankle injury after he went off injured against Leicester. He was either forced off injured again, stayed on the bench or didn't make the squad. He failed to play 90 mins in the league for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Mané has missed 3 league games out of 26 and has played every champions league game ffs. Liverpool’s injury list hasn’t been any worse than any other team in the league. We get it, you’s are a great side, but don’t start saying ya have had a chronic injury list all season, as it’s simply untrue. Fair enough Alisson missed a fair chunk, but other than that it’s hardly been major.

I just remembered Andy "Iron Man" Robertson has been playing with a dodgy ankle all season.

Robertson playeed with a small ankle injury too, but Salah had a bad period with that ankle injury after he went off injured against Leicester. He was either forced off injured again, stayed on the bench or didn't make the squad. He failed to play 90 mins in the league for 2 months.

To be fair, if they're playing they're not 'Chronically Injured'

And saying he failed to play 90 mins is accurate but also misinforming.

84 mins
    64 mins
    86 mins
    0 mins
    68 mins
    0 mins

I assume that's the period you're referring to. 86 minutes is hardly forced off injured.

I assume that's the period you're referring to. 86 minutes is hardly forced off injured.

Apologies my post was ambiguous. I meant chronic injury list not that the very many injuries themselves were all chronic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

https://twitter.com/City_Xtra/status/1230829771564687360?s=19

https://twitter.com/City_Xtra/status/1230829783258484738?s=19

I find it funny that he's been up for young player of the year for the last 7 years!

Apologies my post was ambiguous. I meant chronic injury list not that the very many injuries themselves were all chronic.

That's fair but is it really even chronic? How different is it to everybody elses injury list?

Of all the players getting Injured Allison was by far the worst in terms of Impact to the team and the longevity of it.

To be fair, if they're playing they're not 'Chronically Injured'

And saying he failed to play 90 mins is accurate but also misinforming.

84 mins
    64 mins
    86 mins
    0 mins
    68 mins
    0 mins

He went off injured in the Leicester after a rough tackle from Choudhury. The next game was United and he missed that. The next game was Spurs, which he started but went off injured again after going down holding the same ankle after a rough tackle. The next game was Villa and pre match Klopp said that he was a doubt because there was still fluid in his abkle.He started, but he went off with half an hour to go while Liverpool were chasing the game. The next game was City and Fernandinho put in some rough tackles on him in the first half on that same ankle again, before he eventually went off. The next 3 games brought a total of 70 mins on the field.

It wasn't until this break, including the international break, before the issue was put right.

I know its not Alisson or Fabinho level extended break but I think it's safe to say that that was a period where he was playing with an injury.

He went off injured in the Leicester after a rough tackle from Choudhury. The next game was United and he missed that. The next game was Spurs, which he started but went off injured again after going down holding the same ankle after a rough tackle. The next game was Villa and pre match Klopp said that he was a doubt because there was still fluid in his abkle.He started, but he went off with half an hour to go while Liverpool were chasing the game. The next game was City and Fernandinho put in some rough tackles on him in the first half on that same ankle again, before he eventually went off. The next 3 games brought a total of 70 mins on the field.

It wasn't until this break, including the international break, before the issue was put right.

I know its not Alisson or Fabinho level extended break but I think it's safe to say that that was a period where he was playing with an injury.

But if that's the case most teams could say their players are playing with Injuries etc? Look at Rashford for example. It's no different than any other team is the point I'm making. Liverpools injury list is no different(that' i'm aware of) than most other teams?

Big players miss a couple of games - Happens to everyone
    Squad players injured throughout season - Happens
    Volume of Injuries - Doesn't seem a massive amount in terms of squad numbers?

Ah here :pac:

If you're talking about general injuries throughout the season it's literally no more than most teams.

Mane has missed 3 league games all season
    His injury came at a good time with the winter break (was still injured close to a month though)
    Lovern never gonna play as you know
    With Gomez and Matip injured, Lovren was our starting CB for 8 league games, until he himself got injured - luckily Gomez was just about back to fitness by then, or we'd have only had VVD and no other CB's in the squad.
    Keita - squad player
    He's a squad player because he's always injured. After missing the whole start of the season due to playing injured (and getting even more injured) during Afcon, he forced his way into the starting lineup a few times, only to end up out for months again. He's a big loss to the squad when he's not there, brings something no-one else does. Hugely rated by the club, and Klopp.
    Shaq - squad player
    He'd have played a a few games alright, though yeah, his loss was felt far less than Matips, Allisons, Fabinho's in particular.
    Milner - Squad player but a lose, how many games did he miss?
    Big loss alright when he's not there... missed 7 games in total with that one hamstring injury (5 league)
    Ox - Squad player

You've listed 4 midfielders there as squad players in Milner, Shaq, Ox, and Keita (and we can add Lallana and Fab to that too), as midfield players who have all missed a lot of games this year... even if you just consider most of them squad players, you do actually need a few lads fit to get on the pitch. Hendo (until now) and Gini have been the only CM's to be consistently fit. Our midfield has largely been a case of playing whoever from the above list that has actually been able to move. Same as our defence was for the first 3/4's of the season so far - we had zero backup options to any of the back 4 for a few months.

They've coped incredibly well with it, but have been stretched very very thin for much of the season.

Allison, Matip, and Fabinho's long stretches out should really have seen a bit of a collapse as each were our best players in their positions at the time (Matip is debatable with VVD of course, but he was in the form of his life).

His injury came at a good time with the winter break (was still injured close to a month though)

With Gomez and Matip injured, Lovren was our starting CB for 8 league games, until he himself got injured - luckily Gomez was just about back to fitness by then, or we'd have only had VVD and no other CB's in the squad.

He's a squad player because he's always injured. After missing the whole start of the season due to playing injured (and getting even more injured) during Afcon, he forced his way into the starting lineup a few times, only to end up out for months again. He's a big loss to the squad when he's not there, brings something no-one else does. Hugely rated by the club, and Klopp.

He'd have played a a few games alright, though yeah, his loss was felt far less than Matips, Allisons, Fabinho's in particular.

Big loss alright when he's not there... missed 7 games in total with that one hamstring injury (5 league)

You've listed 4 midfielders there as squad players in Milner, Shaq, Ox, and Keita (and we can add Lallana and Fab to that too), as midfield players who have all missed a lot of games this year... even if you just consider most of them squad players, you do actually need a few lads fit to get on the pitch. Hendo (until now) and Gini have been the only CM's to be consistently fit. Our midfield has largely been a case of playing whoever from the above list that has actually been able to move. Same as our defence was for the first 3/4's of the season so far - we had zero backup options to any of the back 4 for a few months.

They've coped incredibly well with it, but have been stretched very very thin for much of the season.

Allison, Matip, and Fabinho's long stretches out should really have seen a bit of a collapse as each were our best players in their positions at the time (Matip is debatable with VVD of course, but he was in the form of his life).

I accept your point absolutely, but even if all the midfielders are fit, they wouldn't be starting anyway? Which is why I said squad player.

Fab-Gini-Hendo seem to be the main 3 injury or no injury? Unless Keita is stepping in for Gini.

I've awknowledged the Allison & Fab injuries in that sense. Matip I suppose is a forgotten loss as Gomez as done so well since coming in.

In terms of Keita, is he ever not injured? His play time is extremely minimal from what I recall.

I accept your point absolutely, but even if all the midfielders are fit, they wouldn't be starting anyway? Which is why I said squad player.

Fab-Gini-Hendo seem to be the main 3 injury or no injury? Unless Keita is stepping in for Gini.

That's the on-paper starting trio in midfield alright - though we don't tend to play that way (if it can be helped). Since the start of last season Klopp has switched to a midfield press instead of a high press, to save the front lads legs. So when our "squad players" are not broken, they actually play loads. With a reasonably fit midfield available, there's rotation to that trio game by game by game, so the intensity and tempo stay high. We've not been able to do that much this year, as generally there's only been 3 or max 4 midfielders fit at any one time.
    I've awknowledged the Allison & Fab injuries in that sense. Matip I suppose is a forgotten loss as Gomez as done so well since coming in.

In terms of Keita, is he ever not injured? His play time is extremely minimal from what I recall.

Yeah, poor fella has been a disaster in terms of injuries - made much worse by his country demanding he play, fit or not. Has looked excellent the few times he's gotten up to speed, but he's never more than a fit game or two away from breaking down again. He's just coming back to fitness again right now (in theory), so will likely see him start again in place of Hendo.

Overall, I do think Liverpool have had more injuries than is normal, but have just dealt well with it.

But if that's the case most teams could say their players are playing with Injuries etc? Look at Rashford for example. It's no different than any other team is the point I'm making. Liverpools injury list is no different(that' i'm aware of) than most other teams?

Big players miss a couple of games - Happens to everyone
    Squad players injured throughout season - Happens
    Volume of Injuries - Doesn't seem a massive amount in terms of squad numbers?

Oh ya agree, some of the injuries have been no different to other teams. I guess in one way, the timing of the injuries has sometimes worked in Liverpool's favour but that's not to say that have been lucky with injuries either. There has always been somebody in Liverpool's starting team all season. The deputy has always stepped in and that's been one of the reasons why they are top IMO. Lucky in terms that the medium to long term injuries all came at different times. Alisson, Fabinho & Henderson injuries all came just as the other came back to fitness. Gomez was injured so Mario played and then when Matip got injured so Lovren was playing and then just when Lovren got injured, it meant Gomez was back. The cycle just kept going.

Keita has been injured a lot this season and I think he would have been more than just a squad player if he managed to stay fit. He seems to be in constant cycles of injured for 5 games and then spend 5 games playing 5-10 mins before he starts for 5 games and he gets injured again.

One of these injuries was just after the Christmas schedule. We had a few injuries around then for single games etc, which resulted in Henderson playing CB as there was no one else to play there.

There was a game around New Year's, where there was 12 or 13 fit senior outfield players for the game, supplemented with teenagers and recalled loan players to make up the subs bench. You might recall Nat Phillips made his debut around the same time in the cup ;)

To sum up, it's just been a long season of constant two or three injured at all times, but at the right time, as opposed to a list of three players missing 3 months at the same time. The 11 players that started the CL final have not started a PL game this season yet.

Yeah, poor fella has been a disaster in terms of injuries - made much worse by his country demanding he play, fit or not. Has looked excellent the few times he's gotten up to speed, but he's never more than a fit game or two away from breaking down again. He's just coming back to fitness again right now (in theory), so will likely see him start again in place of Hendo.

Overall, I do think Liverpool have had more injuries than is normal, but have just dealt well with it.

I think this sums up Liverpool's injuries best this season. One player gets injured and he gets replaced by another player who is just coming back from injury at the same time.

A constant stream of one key player injured, but are able to deal with the original injury because they have another ready to step in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's the on-paper starting trio in midfield alright - though we don't tend to play that way (if it can be helped). Since the start of last season Klopp has switched to a midfield press instead of a high press, to save the front lads legs. So when our "squad players" are not broken, they actually play loads. With a reasonably fit midfield available, there's rotation to that trio game by game by game, so the intensity and tempo stay high. We've not been able to do that much this year, as generally there's only been 3 or max 4 midfielders fit at any one time.

There was one game where one of the Guinean players had to piggyback him off the pitch because they'd no stretcher!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Turns out football is a squad game. And Klopp is good enough to perm the available players without it costing points.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Turns out football is a squad game. And Klopp is good enough to perm the available players without it costing points.

Well it's cost us 2 already ffs.

:)

Whatever about playing a CB as a RB, but playing him as a RWB is a bit too much. He might not have done the exact same before but it's very Mourinho like of the last few years. Very defensive move. Aurier is on the bench, and even Gedson Fernandes could play as a wing back you would think, having played RM before.

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/1231179391591428096?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anytime Keita has been fit he went into the starting line up, this a player according to reports Klopp absolutely had to have. I don't think he's played bad once he just had horrible luck with niggling injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

rob316 wrote: »
    Anytime Keita has been fit he went into the starting line up, this a player according to reports Klopp absolutely had to have. I don't think he's played bad once he just had horrible luck with niggling injuries.

Isn't there a Liverpool thread?

So poor from Tottenham, she shots from Chelsea and no spurs player near?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Isn't there a Liverpool thread?

So poor from Tottenham, she shots from Chelsea and no spurs player near?

As you well know there is. Anyway Giroud has scored to give Chelsea the lead against Spurs.

As you well know there is. Anyway Giroud has scored to give Chelsea the lead against Spurs.

So perhaps use it so instead on clumping up this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd like a draw here. Spurs don't look like doing anything so far though

Great goal by chelsea, feels like spurs are on holiday mode already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Spurs are the drizzling ****s at the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Frank's scattergun selection policy paying off this afternoon, but Spurs look like a stinking pile of dung today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

That is a shocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Could be red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ahahahhahaha what the fook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

How is that not a red card??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Stone wall red card there. How they not give that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Jesus no card for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Red card all day long.

VAR again being shown up to be a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

How is that not a red card??

Cos the ref couldn’t bother his hole looking at the monitor. Anyone who sees a replay of that gives a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

How was that not a card?? Looked stone wall stamp to me

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement