Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So it was not a handball against man city but it was for them lol and its LiVARpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

VAR being really kind to City again but again they fail to take advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looks like only a matter of time before City score but we've seen it so many times this season end differently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Both are probably penalties but Praet's is way more blatant, VAR got that one right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't know how they gave a penalty for that one but didn't for KDB hand ball.

Varchester City here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He absolutely pole axed him!!

this one wasn't ever a free, ah the 80s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kinda hope Leicester nick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

That VAR official is having an absolute mare today. Some shocking no calls in both the matches he has been on today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mendy looks like a middle weight on steroids and speed

Leicester are far too freestyle, I can't see any actual strategy or even much in the way of tactics.

Vardy is having a poor game in possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Nice goal by the champions, it was coming for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That VAR official is having an absolute mare today. Some shocking no calls in both the matches he has been on today.

Wrong on the KDB handball.

Right on the Praet handball.

Right on the no offside for Jesus goal.

noodler wrote: »
    Wrong on the KDB handball.

Right on the Praet handball.

Right on the no offside for Jesus goal.

Yes he was wrong for the KDB handball and wrong on the Lo Celso red card in the earlier match. Two massive mistakes, sounds like having a mare to me.

I also posted that before the Jesus goal.

Yes he was wrong for the KDB handball and wrong on the Lo Celso red card in the earlier match. Two massive mistakes, sounds like having a mare to me.

Is it the same guy doing both games?

Surely not.

Is it the same guy doing both games?

Surely not.

Yeah bizarrely it is.

Could have very easily been a penalty for Leicester on the Ederson challenge as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah bizarrely it is.

It can't be.

Edit: it is the same VAR ref.

Chelsea vs Spurs game officials.
    Referee: Michael Oliver. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett. Fourth official: Kevin Friend. VAR: David Coote. Assistant VAR: Adam Nunn.

Leicester vs City officials.
    Referee: Paul Tierney. Assistants: Gary Beswick, Constantine Hatzidakis. Fourth official: Jonathan Moss. VAR: David Coote. Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1610927

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Could have very easily been a penalty for Leicester on the Ederson challenge as well.

I looked that back five times.and still can't tell if ederson got a touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I looked that back five times.and still can't tell if ederson got a touch.

Mr Coote needs to be given a few weeks in League 2 methinks.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Mr Coote needs to get called out as the person responsible as making all these bad decisions, and not hiding behind the VAR moniker.

VAR is a massive cover up of bad refereeing, the referees are loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Highest average TV audiences in Britain this season:

Liverpool - 1,662,801 viewers
    Man United - 1,520,948
    Tottenham - 1,286,847
    Chelsea - 1,143,175
    Manchester City - 1,136,054
    Arsenal - 1,117,644

United knocked off top spot for the first time though this doesn't include Amazon Prime games and obviously the season isn't over yet.

Unsurprisingly the most watched single fixture was United v Liverpool

Shocking how low these figures are overall but that's satellite TV for you. Free to air games blow these figures out of the water

• Advertisement

You would have to wonder would the BT package be worth to a free to air channel like ITV for advertising revenue they could draw from PL games. ITV could draw 10 million viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

8-10 wrote: »
    Shocking how low these figures are overall but that's satellite TV for you. Free to air games blow these figures out of the water
    Do they include people in bars?

I reckon satellite numbers much be falling (subscriptions). So many watch for free, and I know a good few that will just not pay and catchup later with highlights (as we all did at one stage).
    If Amazon came onboard and offered Amazon PL Prime for €15 a month, SKY might as well close its doors.

You would have to wonder would the BT package be worth to a free to air channel like ITV for advertising revenue they could draw from PL games. ITV could draw 10 million viewers.

I'd say those figures are EPL games on Sky?

Can't recall the figures, but I've seen numbers before of the BT Champions League coverage and they were pitifully small. Short sighted from UEFA I'd have thought, especially in big urban markets like there are in the UK to remove their product from the younger market in particular.

Perhaps they're relying on (dodgy) Iptv subs and platforms to spread their gospel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If Amazon came onboard and offered Amazon PL Prime for €15 a month, SKY might as well close its doors.

I know what you mean by this, but that's not how tv deals work with the PL. The broadcasters bid for certain packages atm, Sky and BT paid for x amount of games each, and Amazon bought the exclusive rights to 2 full matchdays

Tifo Football did a very good video on what the future might bring a couple weeks back

I know what you mean by this, but that's not how tv deals work with the PL. The broadcasters bid for certain packages atm, Sky and BT paid for x amount of games each, and Amazon bought the exclusive rights to 2 full matchdays

Tifo Football did a very good video on what the future might bring a couple weeks back

The EPL are talking about launching a Netflix type streaming service.... Might be part of a negotiating ploy to shake down the broadcast companies, but one would think they streaming will have a big part in the next deal.

The EPL are talking about launching a Netflix type streaming service.... Might be part of a negotiating ploy to shake down the broadcast companies, but one would think they streaming will have a big part in the next deal.

Premflix is for the rest of the world outside of the UK.

They won't be offering that in the UK for a long time yet.

Premflix is for the rest of the world outside of the UK.

They won't be offering that in the UK for a long time yet.

OK, why is that? Is the infrastructure not there, or is it a commercial decision?

Are we still bound in with the UK for these deals?

OK, why is that? Is the infrastructure not there, or is it a commercial decision?

Too much money still to be made from the current model.

Not sure if we are due to Brexit however i would guess we will always be stuck with the UK models going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Too much money still to be made from the current model

And thats why ill be sticking to my alternative method of watching football

If the legal route is reasonable people will do it, how many people are well able to torrent yet sub to Netflix because its so handy

I know how to get every episode of the Simpsons in about 6 clicks, but I was gonna pay the €7 a month to sub to Disney Plus because that’s reasonable and much handier than a torrent (until it now appears Simpsons wont be available here due to pre-existing deal with Sky)

• Advertisement

I saw that a while back on Tifo Football, and that's why it might suit the PL to go with one Global provider and make an absolute fortune. Think Tifo Football calculated that it could go from the current ~£120m a year to each PL team, to ~£800m a year.
    Isn't there some current law that prevents one provider from owning all deals, but with Brexit, who knows?
    I just don't see how SKY/BT can keep paying huge money when many seem to be leaving the platform and settling for streams/highlights. At some point, going with Amazon might be the ideal situation for the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've always been on the Guardiola side in arguments about how good he is as a coach but his performance at City has been less than stellar it has to be said.
    With the squad he has he should be at worst very close to Liverpool this season and two league titles in four seasons with that squad is not good enough. Winning the European Cup would save his season but I don't think they'll do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just saw Tammy Abraham and his balls to the post moment, ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

8-10 wrote: »

Low in comparision to what?

I live outside the EU, the legal online streaming site costs me around 30euro a season and I can watch every prem game and most are in English, they have the technology but they're not gonna introduce it to the Irish and British market when people are paying 100s a month for sky and there is like 3-4 watchable games a week. Really is madness

Free to air. There was some cricket on over the Summer, a world cup, England won and the women's football world cup had monster viewing figures in comparison. Now I'm all for equality but .....

• Advertisement

Free to air, I said it in my comment.

BBC showed Liverpool v Everton in the FA cup this season and got 3 times more viewers than any Sky or BT games in the league

Even Newport County v Leicester last season had over 5m viewers. More than any of the hyped up EPL games

• https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-city-appeal-against-european-21554811

"Man City appeal against European ban could leave Liverpool in dock over alleged hacking"

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Free to air. There was some cricket on over the Summer, a world cup, England won and the women's football world cup had monster viewing figures in comparison. Now I'm all for equality but .....

That was the point u was trying to make earlier.

There are cricket players from 30/40 years ago that people would recognise immediately, the likes of David Gower, Ian Botham, etc. Who would Joe Soap recognise from the last 10 years apart from Freddy who was on Top Gear?
    Even Rugby has rowed back on their model a bit, with a mix of FTA and paywall for the European Cup.
    Ita strange UEFA don't try to force FTA into their packages.

Who would Joe Soap recognise from the last 10 years apart from Freddy who was on Top Gear?
    Ben Stokes won SPOTY.

PL is not going free to air. SKY have packed their coverage with ads to pay for the current deal, along with their subs, to make money from it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-city-appeal-against-european-21554811

"Man City appeal against European ban could leave Liverpool in dock over alleged hacking"

Whataboutary seems like their main defence right now alright

• Advertisement

apparently the Liverpool scouts didn't hack Man City, they simply logged on with their old passwords
    this looks like an attempt to make Liverpool have some skin in the game, it smacks of desperation

apparently the Liverpool scouts didn't hack Man City, they simply logged on with their old passwords
    this looks like an attempt to make Liverpool have some skin in the game, it smacks of desperation

That doesn't make it right!

Regardless of whether that matter, which the FA and City considered closed based on a relatively small financial settlement, gets reopened, I fail to see any relevance or connection to City's FFP transgressions and UEFA ban.

It's just distraction tactics from City and the media are bought in because Liverpool get clicks.

Liverpool's scouts didn't force City to overspend or lie about it.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    That doesn't make it right!

No...but it also doesn't make it related to their case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Why is there no 2pm game on Sky?

yeah I wasn't defending Liverpool, when you hire staff from City you need to train the skullduggery out of them

JPA wrote: »
    Why is there no 2pm game on Sky?

Think the United and Wolves games were first fixed for the Saturday but were moved because of the EL? I'd assume the live games had already been set by that stage?

Fred has really stepped up, he went from. One of the worst players ive seen to one of uniteds best players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Don’t be surprised if this is one of the last few EPL weekends for awhile . Once the Coronavirus is officially confirmed in uk we could see the rest of the season suspended.

just when we had the league won Utd create a plague in the UK by signing a player from China, typical

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement