Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Man City don't make the top 10 list of Sky greatest English club sides ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

They haven’t included them because they are still in their 3 year cycle. They said at start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

If anyone is watching Sky Sports and want to see who the greatest English team of all time are they can simply rewind about 2 and a half hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

8-10 wrote: »
    If anyone is watching Sky Sports and want to see who the greatest English team of all time are they can simply rewind about 2 and a half hours

Very generous of you to say that about the Hammers but I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What sky talking about football pre 1992

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Got to go unbeaten or win the treble, otherwise it's just a nice trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Oranage2 wrote: »

Take it you didn't watch the discussion then and are jumping in two feet first?

The team they are talking about is Paisley's Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They didn't include the current Man City or Liverpool sides as they are both still in the 3 year cycle they came up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

And both the current City & Liverpool team have the potential to make it very close to the top if they win more trophies this season, and/or next season.

I think the 3 year format was a good metric to work with. Some teams would fare better with a 2 year or 4 year period, but I thought 3 was a fair number of years to go by and probably a lot better than single seasons.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Take it you didn't watch the discussion then and are jumping in two feet first?

The team they are talking about is Paisley's Liverpool.

Ha, didn't see it I, I don't have sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Both Roy Keane and Gary Neville have said the opposite with regards to going unbeaten in the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ha, didn't see it I, I don't have sky

It's up on YouTube. It's actually a decent discussion. Just piped the 2008 United team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Both Roy Keane and Gary Neville have said the opposite with regards to going unbeaten in the last few days.

Curse they did because there big rivals at the time Arsenal done it and they never did ,
    Same Roy who wanted Giggs with 4 goals in a season his team ahead of mane or Salah
    Same Roy who picked a 34 year old Irwin ahead of todays Robbo

Keane just picked every member of the 1999 team cos he played with them. Every player he picked - "he's great lad, I know him, great trainer, consistent for years" etc. Keane couldn't grasp the concept of basing the team on one season only and not over their 10-15 year careers.

I think last night's discussion was fairer and overall better, as it was not possible to enter bias into the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Keane is only on there to throw out cheap digs and comments. He's a bluffer who knows nothing about football and his management career to date is testament to that.
    The worst thing about Mourinho going to Spurs is his Sky gig was over, I thought his analysis and insight was excellent.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's up on YouTube. It's actually a decent discussion. Just piped the 2008 United team.

Just saw the table. Everton 8th again ffs

rob316 wrote: »
    Keane is only on there to throw out cheap digs and comments. He's a bluffer who knows nothing about football and his management career to date is testament to that.
    The worst thing about Mourinho going to Spurs is his Sky gig was over, I thought his analysis and insight was excellent.

You don't need to be a manager to be a good pundit. Keane gets views and YouTube clips etc that's all Sky care about. It's the main reason Jamie and Gary do MNF because it'll create clips. They're just better than Roy and try to be less biased.

rob316 wrote: »

Keane as a player probably the best Irish player ever,though possibly Brady.

But I agree with you about football coaching intelligence, it seem any of the players that became managers under Fergie have no tactical awareness, it's basically all about 'working hard' and 'wide men', It's crazy that one of the best managers ever hasn't produced a single decent disciple

An old, long read on MNF, but it's worth reading. There's a massive team that put work into what gets shown on TV. For example, I doubt Carra & Neville chose to have a discussion on Auba & Salah last night. They just delivered the piece, while creating a small narrative alongside it about Salah being sold from Liverpool.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/the-making-of-monday-night-football-206810

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

You need to be a manager to be a good pundit. Keane gets views and YouTube clips etc that's all Sky care about. It's the main reason Jamie and Gary do MNF because it'll create clips. They're just better than Roy and try to be less biased.

Dont know about that. There have been plenty of managers who have been poor pundits. Jose the most recent one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

FitzShane wrote: »
    An old, long read on MNF, but it's worth reading. There's a massive team that put work into what gets shown on TV. For example, I doubt Carra & Neville chose to have a discussion on Auba & Salah last night. They just delivered the piece, while creating a small narrative alongside it about Salah being sold from Liverpool.

Must be the best thing ever to appear on Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

bangkok wrote: »
    Dont know about that. There have been plenty of managers who have been poor pundits. Jose the most recent one

I thought he was excellent as a pundit and surprisingly didn't resort to cheap shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

FitzShane wrote: »

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Must be the best thing ever to appear on Joe.
    Yeah, that's a brilliant article, thanks for posting

I clicked in a bit cynically, expecting it to reveal it was all unpaid interns or something, but it's made me respect Neville and Carragher more

bangkok wrote: »

Edit! Should read "Don't need"

I think you're putting too much of an importance on being unbeaten given your favourite team did it when you were a kid.

Arsenal's unbeaten 2003-04 season would have had them 3rd last season and likely 2nd or 3rd this season given the points total.

The Sky debate didn't award any extra points for going unbeaten purely because it's not really relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Pool already with as many league wins this season as the unbeaten gunners team had for their entire season.

Pool already with as many league wins this season as the unbeaten gunners team had for their entire season.

And as many points as United treble winners ,

They have just been amazing this season a machine ,

City could win 3 cups this season still and probably go down as one of the greatest ever English teams with what they have won in the past 3 years and there 22 points behind in 2nd place that is insane,

I think you're putting too much of an importance on being unbeaten given your favourite team did it when you were a kid.

Arsenal's unbeaten 2003-04 season would have had them 3rd last season and likely 2nd or 3rd this season given the points total.

The Sky debate didn't award any extra points for going unbeaten purely because it's not really relevant.

Apples and oranges, Different times and challenges, I can't remember how many points any team won the league with but going unbeaten is truly memorable. If Liverpool finish with a record of 36-1-1, an outstanding achievement, a better team then arsenal but it's not as highly regarded as going a season unbeaten.

Apples and oranges, Different times and challenges, I can't remember how many points any team won the league with but going unbeaten is truly memorable. If Liverpool finish with a record of 36-1-1, an outstanding achievement, a better team then arsenal but it's not as highly regarded as going a season unbeaten.

That would be the highgest points tally ever so in many eyes regarded higher than Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So 109 points wouldn’t be as highly regarded as that arsenal team? Find that very hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That would be the highgest points tally ever so in many eyes regarded higher than Arsenal
    Yeah but Arsenal were unbeaten, that's a bigger thing in most people's minds I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

This is the least important thing in this most glorious of seasons for Liverpool fans but by all means carry on talking about it.

That Arsenal team are not nearly as good in my opinion but it's just an opinion in the same way I'm not a big fan of blue.

Arsenal were failures in Europe so will never be really recognised as a truly great team. The best teams have done it on the big stage. Arsenal buckled year in year out.

6 wrote: »
    Arsenal were failures in Europe so will never be really recognised as a truly great team. The best teams have done it on the big stage. Arsenal buckled year in year out.

Be fair, they made the final in 2006. At that point it had been a year since an English team had managed it, and it would be a year again until another did

They lost 6 games that season. Van Gaal's Ajax are the closest I've seen to having a real invincible season. They weren't beaten over 90mins in an entire season! Lost 1 game after extra time and that was it.

If you're actually invincible you don't lose to Dynamo Kiev or Middlesbrough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Until they do something in Europe other than go home early they'll never be in that list.

Until they do something in Europe other than go home early they'll never be in that list.

They could win 10 of the last 12 domestic trophies (including charity shield) by August. That's damn impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Only to a point - their cup runs have been remarkably blessed by weak opposition. Tomorrow they play Real Madrid in the CL, that's what the true measure of this side ought to be. Not running over Watford, Preston, Oxford Utd, Burton Albion, Bristol City, Port Vale....the list goes on!

Only to a point - their cup runs have been remarkably blessed by weak opposition. Tomorrow they play Real Madrid in the CL, that's what the true measure of this side ought to be. Not running over Watford, Preston, Oxford Utd, Burton Albion, Bristol City, Port Vale....the list goes on!

Agree completely about their cup runs, I'm not sure the league cups and community shields add up to a great team

198pts over two seasons though... that's ridiculous. I remember last season thinking it would be the best Liverpool I'd seen in my life and we came second. City have been incredible recently, arguably the best ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They could win 10 of the last 12 domestic trophies (including charity shield) by August. That's damn impressive.

Charity Shield..... Ah here!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Premier League getting shown up last week and this week in Europe.

Premier League getting shown up last week and this week in Europe.

Morto for the PL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Morto for the PL

Unbearable really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Obviously by that standard, people who think the PL is being shown up now, thought the PL was the greatest league in the world last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Unbearable really.

Worst fans league in the world™️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

6 wrote:
    None of that takes away from the fact that they went through a full premier league season unbeaten. If they made three champions league finals in a row and lost that wouldn't be remembered but an unbeaten season will never be forgotten.
    This is not about comparing teams, this is about the simple fact that an unbeaten season is something very special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Buffalo Bills appeared in 4 straight superbowls. I still remember Jim Kelly but not the guys who beat him. Likewise the Dolphins used to hold an annual event celebrating their perfect season in the 70s but the only place it was noticed was in Miami

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The Buffalo Bills appeared in 4 straight superbowls. I still remember Jim Kelly but not the guys who beat him. Likewise the Dolphins used to hold an annual event celebrating their perfect season in the 70s but the only place it was noticed was in Miami
    And Marino is probably the most famous QB and he never won a SB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

cjmc wrote: »
    And Marino is probably the most famous QB and he never won a SB

That is because he was in Ace Ventura

eagle eye wrote: »
    None of that takes away from the fact that they went through a full premier league season unbeaten. If they made three champions league finals in a row and lost that wouldn't be remembered but an unbeaten season will never be forgotten.
    This is not about comparing teams, this is about the simple fact that an unbeaten season is something very special.

Not disputing it was a fantastic domestic achievement,but their failure in Europe seperates them from the truly great teams over the years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement