Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Baggly wrote: »
    Id have Aguero or Henry/Kane personally. Better goals to games ratios.

Giggs no issues. Great player.

Giggs had an amazing career and was good good player but still one of the most overrated players of all time in my opinion ,

He had his best season at 20/21 and I feel as good as he was he never reached his potential he showed in his early years ,

For example Pires was a far better player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

So if im reading you right you think Pires' at his peak was better than Giggs at his peak? I can get on board with that. I just think the length he was at such a high standard pips him. Agree to disagree i guess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

With a Hall of Fame no current players should be in with a shout. There should be at least a 10 year gap from the year of your retirement before you're eligible. It should be celebratory look back at a players career with them now able to reflect on it and be a bit more candid. 
    No current players who are only thinking about his next game/winning leagues, champions leagues etc.

I think it should be about the best players. Doesnt matter if they are still playing or not. If they are the best, they are the best.

So if im reading you right you think Pires' at his peak was better than Giggs at his peak? I can get on board with that. I just think the length he was at such a high standard pips him. Agree to disagree i guess :)

I completely think Giggs should be first into the hall of fame hes career is unmatched he contributed every season there is no question he was a fantastic player , I still however don't think he reached his potential

• Advertisement

I completely think Giggs should be first into the hall of fame hes career is unmatched he contributed every season there is no question he was a fantastic player , I still however don't think he reached his potential

Interesting. Id have to think on that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I think it should be about the best players. Doesnt matter if they are still playing or not. If they are the best, they are the best.

How many seasons do you think they have to play then if its current players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Nah they have to have been retired for a number of years. Sure they could do anything to disgrace the league as a player after getting in which is a silly risk to take.

You also could suffer from recency bias. Once enough time has elapsed you can be eligible and a committee can add a set number of people per year.

Where are they going to put this Hall of Fame anyway?

No Hall of Fame runs that way though so the English probably will think they should do it differently. Usually Hall of Fames have a 3-5 year wait plus a minimum amount of seasons or with the rock n roll hall of fame it's 25 years since your first album.

This is new for the PL so we have a backlog of hall of fame players that can be worked through before you get to the current crop of players, why I picked the 10 year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Between 5 and 8 enter the NFL Hof annually. Now there's around 870 to a team and that may be a factor. I can't see this ever achieving the same level of prestige, it's effectively a Sky Sports construct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If I was picking it'd be Cech, Sherear, Bergkamp, Barry and Giggs for the first entries.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Between 5 and 8 enter the NFL Hof annually. Now there's around 870 to a team and that may be a factor. I can't see this ever achieving the same level of prestige, it's effectively a Sky Sports construct.

That has had 60 years to build up it's prestige though. It's definitely is a money spinner/more to talk about during the down months. But if they do it correctly and are selective, in 20+ years you might see more prestige placed on being in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Every player pretty mentioned on here will have their Hall of Fame eventually.

Is it really a big deal?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If I was picking it'd be Cech, Sherear, Bergkamp, Barry and Giggs for the first entries.

Henry has to be the first non-British player I reckon.

8-10 wrote: »
    Henry has to be the first non-British player I reckon.

Get out of here you mad man. Bergkamp was a better player.

That's not the sole criteria, and even then it's debatable

I'm not one to say opinions are wrong, but that's wrong :pac:

They were both super players Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Every player pretty mentioned on here will have their Hall of Fame eventually.

Is it really a big deal?

You could probably ask the same on any match thread, general football thread once rivals have their 'balanced' opinions. First is important for forum bragging clout.

Corholio wrote: »
    You could probably ask the same on any match thread, general football thread once rivals have their 'balanced' opinions. First is important for forum bragging clout.

I would not lose too much sleep if no United player never made it personally.

Of course they will, but I just find these things a bit of waste if honest. Great for player and his family but not sitting in going brag about down pub to mates.“ We have 8 players in hall of fame to your 4 boom!“

No thanks.

• Advertisement

Of course they will, but I just find these things a bit of waste if honest. Great for player and his family but not sitting in going brag about down pub to mates.“ We have 8 players in hall of fame to your 4 boom!“

No thanks.

It could finally put the Gerrard/Scholes/Lampard debate to bed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fromvert wrote: »
    With a Hall of Fame no current players should be in with a shout. There should be at least a 10 year gap from the year of your retirement before you're eligible. It should be celebratory look back at a players career with them now able to reflect on it and be a bit more candid. 
    No current players who are only thinking about his next game/winning leagues, champions leagues etc.

I think a 7-10 year plus career at a high level in the PL would be sufficient criteria. Do we include players that didn't win the PL but were big standouts, players who broke records?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

No thanks.

"8 Hall of Famers, you'll never sing that"

rob316 wrote: »
    Do we include players that didn't win the PL but were big standouts, players who broke records?

Speed, Le Tis, Gerrard, Zola, Ginola all in the conversation who didn't win one I'd say.

Just realized United have only lost 2 more games than City.

Starting to think United will get top 4 over Chelsea and tbh with Vardy blanking so much lately Leicester could slide back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Just realized United have only lost 2 more games than City.

Starting to think United will get top 4 over Chelsea and tbh with Vardy blanking so much lately Leicester could slide back

Doesn’t mean much tbh. Arsenal have lost exactly the same amount of games as City. Wouldn’t put a Utd ahead in that race. Think any team from mid table could finish top 4. Will be a slog fest by the looks of it.

Doesn’t mean much tbh. Arsenal have lost exactly the same amount of games as City. Wouldn’t put a Utd ahead in that race. Think any team from mid table could finish top 4. Will be a slog fest by the looks of it.

United next 3 games will tell us where they will end up ,
    Everton away, Spurs away and City at home ,

United next 3 games will tell us where they will end up ,
    Everton away, Spurs away and City at home ,

Arsenal's next 4 games are West Ham, Brighton, Southampton and Norwich. They need twelve points from those four games because they have Wolves, Leicester, Spurs and Liverpool after that.

City game needs to be rearranged as well but they finish the season with Villa and Watford who you'd expect Arsenal to beat.

Race for 4th will go to the wire.

Seems to be a good buzz at United the last couple of weeks so they could very wel get 4th place or win the Europa,

As optimistic as its looking for the first time in a long time iv also seen a stat where United worst ever Prem points total is 64 points

They are currently on 41 with 33 to play for so there's a very real chance this could still be there worst season ever points wise,

• Advertisement

Arsenal's next 4 games are West Ham, Brighton, Southampton and Norwich. They need twelve points from those four games because they have Wolves, Leicester, Spurs and Liverpool after that.

City game needs to be rearranged as well but they finish the season with Villa and Watford who you'd expect Arsenal to beat.

Race for 4th will go to the wire.

I wouldn't expect Arsenal to beat anyone to be honest,
    im not joking when I say United will have to worry more about Wolves, Sheffield United , I think Everton will finish ahead of Arsenal

Seems to be a good buzz at United the last couple of weeks so they could very wel get 4th place or win the Europa,

As optimistic as its looking for the first time in a long time iv also seen a stat where United worst ever Prem points total is 64 points

They are currently on 41 with 33 to play for so there's a very real chance this could still be there worst season ever points wise,

They're on course for 57-58 points if they maintain their current rate but with Fernandez in now I'd imagine they'll up the points gained for the last few games.

Everton, City, Spurs, Sheffield United in the next four, then an easier run of six games and then finish the season away to Leicester.

Think they'll get 20-22 points from those games and be knocking on the door to fourth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The hilarity would be to much. But there's no way that's happening.

Closed doors. Shown on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Everton & Man Utd fans with Coronavirus in a few weeks will spread the virus throughout england & liverpool.

At the very least games will be behind closed doors. Every chance the league will struggle to finish

While Man City and Leicester still can win the league of course they can't just give Liverpool the title. That's a stupid precedent to set.

It's not going to stop football forever, just play the games when cleared to resume again. It's even more complicated when you get to the relegation battle so just play out the games behind closed doors or later in the year in the interest of everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

While Man City and Leicester still can win the league of course they can't just give Liverpool the title. That's a stupid precedent to set.

It's not going to stop football forever, just play the games when cleared to resume again. It's even more complicated when you get to the relegation battle so just play out the games behind closed doors or later in the year in the interest of everybody.

tbh that article is clickbait.

It is just the PL have no current rules for this type of situation.

MD1990 wrote: »
    tbh that article is clickbait.

It is just the PL have no current rules for this type of situation.

Which is a bit mad to be honest. You'd think there would be some backup plan for a situation like this.

Which is a bit mad to be honest. You'd think there would be some backup plan for a situation like this.

The only time the English League has ever been suspended was for World Wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Games would be played behind closed doors. They would not be postponed.

And as people hoping for a spread of the virus ? Wait until their spouse or kids catch it.

See how funny that is then.

Right but I'd imagine on a game-by-game basis they have contingency plans for situations that have never happened. That's the point, you shouldn't be waiting for it to happen to figure out what to do.

For public safety and given other measures we're seeing taken, I definitely think we'll see PL games disrupted.

I don't think that the season should be cancelled forever and I don't think Liverpool should be handed a title they didn't win mathematically.

• Advertisement

Trump is our only hope

And now for something completely different, found this interesting...

Year of most recent league win at Anfield for each current PL club:

2017 Palace
    2016 Man United
    2015 West Ham
    2014 Chelsea, Aston Villa
    2013 Southampton
    2012 Arsenal
    2011 Spurs
    2010 Wolves
    2003 Man City
    2000 Leicester
    1999 Everton, Watford
    1994 Sheff Utd, Newcastle, Norwich
    1982 Brighton
    1974 Burnley

Bournemouth....never

ebbsy wrote: »
    Games would be played behind closed doors. They would not be postponed.

And as people hoping for a spread of the virus ? Wait until their spouse or kids catch it.

See how funny that is then.

Not to mention a recession. Hopefully it won’t be too bad

Games will be played behind closed doors I would assume, especially with so many places such as European spots & relegation to be decided.

If games are played behind closed doors, I wonder would the PL ask Sky, BT & other TV companies especially Amazon (as they have the capability to do so), to show all games live on TV? Or would they still somehow claim that this extra amount of games on TV would affect gate receipts of lower clubs, that would be played behind closed doors also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

FitzShane wrote: »
    Games will be played behind closed doors I would assume, especially with so many places such as European spots & relegation to be decided.

If games are played behind closed doors, I wonder would the PL ask Sky, BT & other TV companies especially Amazon (as they have the capability to do so), to show all games live on TV? Or would they still somehow claim that this extra amount of games on TV would affect gate receipts of lower clubs, that would be played behind closed doors also.

Eh its up to the PL to give rights to the media companies. Sky and BT would love the rights to broadcast every single PL game.

rob316 wrote: »
    Eh its up to the PL to give rights to the media companies. Sky and BT would love the rights to broadcast every single PL game.

That's true, didn't think of that side to be honest :o

Either way, the PL will get finished this season anyways IMO. Games will be played.

Handshakes have been banned at West Ham and Newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Everyone will want to be hugging Klopp more than normal now to try and give him the virus to pass on to his players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Finally some good has come out of this plague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Wins also.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement