Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

How does it go from we are going to be invincibles to thank God we lost the pressure is off.....if you cant handle the invincibles oressure at 22 points clear how are you likely going to handle the treble pressure...

Fact is liverpool have been bang average for about a month now. Norwich, Villa, Atletico the defending has bee sub par at best and its caught up.

I dont see you going any further In the CL or FA CUP

What treble pressure?
    Quote one Liverpool fan saying fa cup is on the list of priorities for this season. It's all about the first league in 30 years (for me anyway)

All the rest are nice to haves.

Rival fans setting goal posts for rival teams to fail against so they can laugh at them is par for the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm not going to lie, I'll be disappointed if we don't win the Champions League this season.

But PL title is the big prize given the context. Anyway will do. With any number of points. Just want to see Jordan Henderson lifting it. What a moment that would be!

FA Cup would be a nice to have, I agree with that. But Champions League is always much much more than that. It's the biggest competition in soccer and if we weren't in the situation of no league in 30 years it would be firmly the priority.

Imagine winning a 7th. 5 finals in 16years. That's not a nice to have. That's massive.

I desperately want the CL. Just not at the expense of the PL this season. FA Cup you can give it to whomever you want if it means we win the league! There's just no way I'll accept a Champions League being 'nice to have'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

How does it go from we are going to be invincibles to thank God we lost the pressure is off.....

No LFC fan was going around saying we are going to be the new invincibles. This was a fear tactic set by fans of clubs on the decline like Man Utd & Arsenal. Once LFC were beat they could point and laugh and say what you are despearetly saying.
    if you cant handle the invincibles oressure at 22 points clear how are you likely going to handle the treble pressure...

No LFC fan has talked about a 'treble' and Klopp doesn't care about the lesser cups like the Carling and FA Cup. He played kids, that's how much he cares.
    Fact is liverpool have been bang average for about a month now. Norwich, Villa, Atletico the defending has bee sub par at best and its caught up.

Bang average for LFC is over achieving for everyone else.

Who cares we are going to win the Premiership, that's all that matters.

8-10 wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie, I'll be disappointed if we don't win the Champions League this season.

But PL title is the big prize given the context. Anyway will do. With any number of points. Just want to see Jordan Henderson lifting it. What a moment that would be!

FA Cup would be a nice to have, I agree with that. But Champions League is always much much more than that. It's the biggest competition in soccer and if we weren't in the situation of no league in 30 years it would be firmly the priority.

Imagine winning a 7th. 5 finals in 16years. That's not a nice to have. That's massive.

I desperately want the CL. Just not at the expense of the PL this season. FA Cup you can give it to whomever you want if it means we win the league! There's just no way I'll accept a Champions League being 'nice to have'

Not normally, but in the context of this year, being our year :D, all else fades.

Peatys wrote: »
    Not normally, but in the context of this year, being our year :D, all else fades.

I can see your point but I’m going to disagree. I remember some fans at this point last season saying the same thing. I bet there’s some who in March were saying they’d be happy enough to see us go out of the CL to concentrate on the league for the same reason last year. And guess what happened? We stayed in europe and still won every remaining game in the league anyway so it didn’t matter.

There’s no reason with the lead we have why we can’t prioritise both. FA Cup we’ll go and play Elliott, Williams, Jones maybe Hoever. It’s not the competition it once was.

But we should be full strength and full concentration in all remaining PL and CL games until they’re won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Thanks Watford, I see pool fans have retreated back to their holes.

Only yesterday pool fans were saying how they're the best side ever and no one can beat them, now pool fans saying they never said that, gas stuff. They'll win the prem still and congrats but they can't achieve an unbeatable season or 49 games unbeaten. Pool can still do the treble technically but Roy Keane was right, only 2 of the current players could get into that united team.

Top prem achievements for me goes like this

1. Treble
    2. Invincibles
    3. Leicester
    4. City 98 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Oranage2 wrote: »

Only yesterday pool fans were saying how they're the best side ever and no one can beat them, now pool fans saying they never said that, gas stuff. They'll win the prem still and congrats but they can't achieve an unbeatable season or 49 games unbeaten. Pool can still do the treble technically but Roy Keane was right, only 2 of the current players could get into that united team.

1. Treble
    2. Invincibles
    3. Leicester
    4. City 98 points

So city's 98 points gets in ahead of their 100 point season?

mightyreds wrote: »

Typo

Jasus, don't quote it

Typo

Fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

1. Treble
    2. Invincibles
    3. Leicester
    4. City 98 points

They can deny it matters all they want but if Liverpool lose another few games and only win the league on 96 points and don't win champions league too it will hurt them because they have no foundations to claim they are the best league team ever.

Liverpool can't just win things they have to be able believe they have done it better then anyone else.

I personally think they are a very good team and no matter what happens they have been on a great run but to be counted up there they have to do dominate the league the same as united sides have done in the past and the same as pool sides have done on the past then they can be regarded up there.

Have a decent foundation built tho so let's see how it goes.

jayo26 wrote: »
    They can deny it matters all they want but if Liverpool lose another few games and only win the league on 96 points and don't win champions league too it will hurt them because they have no foundations to claim they are the best league team ever.

Liverpool can't just win things they have to be able believe they have done it better then anyone else.

I personally think they are a very good team and no matter what happens they have been on a great run but to be counted up there they have to do dominate the league the same as united sides have done in the past and the same as pool sides have done on the past then they can be regarded up there.

Have a decent foundation built tho so let's see how it goes.

There's a certain section of fans would love that cause we finished on 96 for obvious reasons , you can pull any sub section of fans to suit a narrative.

I see people saying we've done a 180 now to say the loss is a relief, 'a weight off the teams shoulders' but they've been saying that for weeks that a loss would be good for the team, while another section is disappointed like me we won't do it and have been saying it for a long time I'd love to go unbeaten.
    It's easy pick a section of supporters to suit any story.

• Oranage2 wrote: »

1. Treble
    2. Invincibles
    3. Leicester
    4. City 98 points

They had a woeful lot of luck this season with injuries.

Be interesting to see if legs start to tire and maybe some knocks start to show up

Been fairly relentless with the press again this season

They had a woeful lot of luck this season with injuries.

Be interesting to see if legs start to tire and maybe some knocks start to show up

Been fairly relentless with the press again this season

Plus next season bigger side picking off their better players too, lose Mane and/or Salah will be tough for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Only yesterday pool fans were saying how they're the best side ever and no one can beat them

Not saying I don't believe you but do you have any proof of Liverpool fans saying no one can beat them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Plus next season bigger side picking off their better players too, lose Mane and/or Salah will be tough for them.

Im not sure Salah would be that hard to replace.

He has been poor all season away from home. So many simple passes he loses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

1. Treble
    2. Invincibles
    3. Leicester
    4. City 98 points

Disagree, treble team isn't even the best United team. But sure whatever helps you feel better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Not saying I don't believe you but do you have any proof of Liverpool fans saying no one can beat them?

Of course not, he’s full of shyte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think the most bullish I ever was "I don't see who will beat us" that doesn't imply we won't be beaten. Watford was how I expected we would be beaten, unexpected against lovely struggling opposition.

The only ones saying it's the greatest team to ever live is the media. I thought comparing us to a treble winning side when we still hadn't even reached the quarter finals of the 2 cups in question was ridiculous but that's sky for ya pure hyperbole.

I've always felt too because we commanded such a lead, intensity would drop and we wouldn't break all these records. It's only natural, the players are mentally tired and believe the job is done.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    I've always felt too because we commanded such a lead, intensity would drop and we wouldn't break all these records. It's only natural, the players are mentally tired and believe the job is done.

That's key, while Arsenal were invincible, they were never as far ahead as this Liverpool team as they had a significant number of draws.

It must be hard for multi-millionaires to get motivated for something pretty much everyone bar a few Liverpool fans know they have already achieved. My worry is that malaise may seep over to the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I expected to draw with Everton at Goodison, lose to City at the Etihad and drop a few points after the title was sealed.

I still expect all that to happen - and we'll lose to Chelsea in the FA Cup too because Klopp will rotate heavily. Its also now, by some margin, the least important game we play in our next three. Have to get back to winning ways in the league and progressing in the CL is far more important than the FA Cup.

So, yeah, disappointed and surprised. Never expected to go unbeaten - hoped, for sure - but I didn't expect it.

Hopefully Klopp will use it to give an absolute bollocking to the few players whose form has tailed off the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Peatys wrote: »
    What treble pressure?
    Quote one Liverpool fan saying fa cup is on the list of priorities for this season. It's all about the first league in 30 years (for me anyway)

Rival fans setting goal posts for rival teams to fail against so they can laugh at them is par for the course.

Rob316, go look back a few posts I dont need to do your work for you.

Im not too bothered about going unbeaten or a points record.

But I would now be worred about the Atletico tie. Was quite confident but not so sure now. Alisson may need a big game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We've been toxic since the break. Conclusively beaten last night in every phase of the game following on from 3 previous poor outings. If we keep playing like this we'll be done and dusted in the two cups within two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

There's a certain section of fans would love that cause we finished on 96 for obvious reasons , you can pull any sub section of fans to suit a narrative.

I see people saying we've done a 180 now to say the loss is a relief, 'a weight off the teams shoulders' but they've been saying that for weeks that a loss would be good for the team, while another section is disappointed like me we won't do it and have been saying it for a long time I'd love to go unbeaten.
    It's easy pick a section of supporters to suit any story.

Spot on.

• Advertisement

Peatys
    What treble pressure?

Rob316, go look back a few posts I dont need to do your work for you.
    rob316 wrote: »
    I think the most bullish I ever was "I don't see who will beat us" that doesn't imply we won't be beaten. Watford was how I expected we would be beaten, unexpected against lovely struggling opposition.

The only ones saying it's the greatest team to ever live is the media. I thought comparing us to a treble winning side when we still hadn't even reached the quarter finals of the 2 cups in question was ridiculous but that's sky for ya pure hyperbole.

This one? I'm not sure i follow you

Utd going well of late.. confident against Everton?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I fully understand posters need to try and score some internet points, they've been waiting a while, but when you start with the above, it kinda negates anything else that you post.
    Looking back over the last few pages, there are a lot pool posters posting and engaging in discussion- baffling really.

Unbeatables- was always going to be hard but was Never really a goal. Paper talk and posters commenting on it in order to use it as a stick when we lost. Clearly to be seen over the last few pages too.

Treble- would be nice, absolutely, but fa cup is no where near the competition it was 15, 20, 30 years ago. Its importance has seriously fallen, top clubs Rarely put out first 11's any more, unless maybe if they got through to the business end.

Champions league - huge of course and every pool fan wants to retain it.

League- the bread and butter, the number 1 goal at the start of every year for every pool fan, without doubt.

This year has seen a phenomenal team go on runs that compare to records of any club from any generation of football. Comparing those is hard to do as football really has changed over the last quarter of a century, but comparisons will be easier at seasons end. How points will pool have, how many continuous home wins, how many points back to second, how many away points earned, doubles, trebles etc
    There is still a lot to play for. I hope we dont tail off in the coming months but instead use this loss to push on, to press on, to win.
    Time will tell.

But this is a ridiculously good team. The underlying tones of several opposition posters posts over the past few months are a clear indication of how good Liverpool really are.
    For now, that's a pretty good comparison for me.

Lots of football left to play and posts to enjoy reading hopefully.

Alot of those posts are saying possibly the best PL team.

Liverpool still have a chance to beat the best points total.
    Although it now looks unlikely with the current form & performances.

• Advertisement

• Oranage2 wrote: »
    Excellent, watch them back peddle now

Already are with a goalpost move

Now it's not generating a narrative then because some of the fans said possibly

Hoop jumping 2.0

Excellent, watch them back peddle now

Is this in response to me asking where pool fans said fa cup is a priority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

No team has ever won both a champions league and a league title, it’s a clear sign of the greatest football team in history

Good time for footy fans..

Arsenal fans hold onto their invincible record (and it's not going anywhere for years)
    Pool fans happy for obvious reasons
    Utd fans happy that arsenal get to keep their record. Decent results of late to boot.

All good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol'ing hard at peps Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

How does it go from we are going to be invincibles to thank God we lost the pressure is off.....if you cant handle the invincibles oressure at 22 points clear how are you likely going to handle the treble pressure...

Nobody said we were gonna be invincible!

That's an absolute lie.

Acknowledging the possibility when the season is over 2/3s done isn't the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No team has ever won both a champions league and a league title, it’s a clear sign of the greatest football team in history

I think you will find they have, liverpool 1984.

Utd fans wanting pool fans to be disappointed over yesterday.. think back to 1992. Was anything other than winning your first league in 26 years on your mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Although I suspect they will be laughing at us again come 4pm maybe earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

RasTa wrote: »
    Although I suspect they will be laughing at us again come 4pm maybe earlier.

At least if we are you'll know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool won the League title, European Cup and League Cup in 83/84 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

MD1990 wrote: »
    Alot of those posts are saying possibly the best PL team.

Liverpool still have a chance to beat the best points total.
    Although it now looks unlikely with the current form & performances.

Ah the aul Carlsberg deflect. Good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Huge game for Man Utd today. Despite some awful performances, team selections, tactics etc they are still within an ear shot of top 4. As a Utd fan I’m hoping for as few changes as possible from Thursday.
    Martial seems to be available. I’d still keep Ighalo at no 9(he seems a much more natural no 9)and maybe bring Martial in for James from the left.

Everton have looked very solid under Ancelloti so it will be a tough game for Utd.

Not quite a must win but not far off and I think it will go a huge way to deciding how their season pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bigger game than the League Cup final that's for sure!

Bigger game than the League Cup final that's for sure!

The Villans v The Villains

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Imagine either saving these to use or searching them from months ago through thousands of posts. Don't know is it sad or pathetic but its probably a mix of both.

• adox wrote: »
    Huge game for Man Utd today. Despite some awful performances, team selections, tactics etc they are still within an ear shot of top 4. As a Utd fan I’m hoping for as few changes as possible from Thursday.
    Martial seems to be available. I’d still keep Ighalo at no 9(he seems a much more natural no 9)and maybe bring Martial in for James from the left.

Everton have looked very solid under Ancelloti so it will be a tough game for Utd.

Not quite a must win but not far off and I think it will go a huge way to deciding how their season pans out.

It's when the team is expected to deliver and put under pressure it's failed.

Hopefully today we can buck that trend but who knows

Team selection is going to be an interesting one for sure

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Imagine either saving these to use or searching them from months ago through thousands of posts. Don't know is it sad or pathetic but its probably a mix of both.

Ah, it's important to him and he's not hurting anyone..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement