Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• John Stones must have heard me and figured he'd give them a hand :)

Absolute howler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

John Stones must have heard me and figured he'd give them a hand :)

Comical stuff. It's the kind of break Villa needed really - momentum was very much with City.

You'd have to wonder about Stones really. He hadn't managed to cut those mistakes out of his game at all despite years of coaching in the PL. Will City lose patience with him? Would another club be willing to pay the price to get him in? After what he cost City, I can't imagine he'd be particularly cheap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stones back to Everton was a story yesterday, not sure which rag ran it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Comical stuff. It's the kind of break Villa needed really - momentum was very much with City.

You'd have to wonder about Stones really. He hadn't managed to cut those mistakes out of his game at all despite years of coaching in the PL. Will City lose patience with him? Would another club be willing to pay the price to get him in? After what he cost City, I can't imagine he'd be particularly cheap...

English premium prize as well. He'd go for 50m+.

• Game was practically dead and buried until that blunder

Villa were god awful the majority of that half

Lifeline for them Stones is playing

I fully expect City to dominate the second half but you never know

Sorry probably off topic but see no thread for this active

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Marvellous tackle imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/1234165701465853953?s=19

PGMOL statement on the disallowed goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

TitianGerm wrote: »

Its 50 50 for me, I don't understand why people here are so shocked that some think it should have stood. In no way did the player affect de gea making a stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Its obvious. Draw fair result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Have a feeling that United getting 1 or 0 points today, and Everton getting 1 or 3, won't matter at all at the end of the season whichever way it could have gone. Very little at stake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What happened in the Everton game today missed it as there was a cushion on the floor in front of me blocking the tv :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

8-10 wrote: »
    Have a feeling that United getting 1 or 0 points today, and Everton getting 1 or 3, won't matter at all at the end of the season whichever way it could have gone. Very little at stake

A top 4 place is at stake. Everton with a win today, would have put them in the mix. They are probably too far away now. Watching that match live, I thought that the goal should have stood as De Gea was never getting back to save it.

Can see why it didn’t stand technically speaking, so wouldn’t be complaining too much either if I was an Everton fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

A top 4 place is at stake. Everton with a win today, would have put them in the mix. They are probably too far away now. Watching that match live, I thought that the goal should have stood as De Gea was never getting back to save it.

Can see why it didn’t stand technically speaking, so wouldn’t be complaining too much either if I was an Everton fan.

We'll see at the end of the season if the points difference would have made a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wolves would say it matters to them they would be a point clear of Man U not behind them on goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its 50 50 for me, I don't understand why people here are so shocked that some think it should have stood. In no way did the player affect de gea making a stop.

5050 is right, which is why I think the on field decision should stand, unless its very clear its wrong.

Given De Gea's form, he'd probably not have saved it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

5050 is right, which is why I think the on field decision should stand, unless its very clear its wrong.

Given De Gea's form, he'd probably not have saved it anyway.

This isn't relevant as to whether somebody is offside or not

8-10 wrote: »
    We'll see at the end of the season if the points difference would have made a difference

That's not how it works.. Momentum is a huge thing.

AdamD wrote: »
    This isn't relevant as to whether somebody is offside or not

Apparently the rule isn't relevant either because he isn't impairing his line of sight, which is what it was given for.

What happened in the Everton game today missed it as there was a cushion on the floor in front of me blocking the tv :pac:

That's very good in fairness. I did have a little chuckle at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

So the people who say it should stand would be happy with a player doing jumping Jack's in the 6 yard box in an offside position so long as the ball doesn't touch him or its deflected into a different corner?

The fact that people dont seem to realise that interfering with play doesnt require you to actually touch the ball is mind boggling. What happens today if Gilfi leaves his legs were they are...its not a goal . By avoiding the normal trajectory of the ball hes CLEARLY having an impact of where it finishes.

Well done VAR another great call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

So the people who say it should stand would be happy with a player doing jumping Jack's in the 6 yard box in an offside position so long as the ball doesn't touch him or its deflected into a different corner?

Steven Taylor used to do that when Newcastle were taking free kicks to put the keeper off

The fact that people dont seem to realise that interfering with play doesnt require you to actually touch the ball is mind boggling. What happens today if Gilfi leaves his legs were they are...its not a goal . By avoiding the normal trajectory of the ball hes CLEARLY having an impact of where it finishes.

Well done VAR another great call.

Huge difference between someone doing jumping jacks in front of a keeper and sitting on the ground not obstructing the keepers view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,284 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Huge difference between someone doing jumping jacks in front of a keeper and sitting on the ground not obstructing the keepers view

where do you draw the line? what if he was kneeling? offside or no?

If it's obstructing the keepers view then it's offside. Simple.

• where do you draw the line? what if he was kneeling? offside or no?

Seems to be drawing the line at lying down in front of the keeper

You can move your feet too when the ball is about to hit them

Seems to be drawing the line at lying down in front of the keeper

You can move your feet too when the ball is about to hit them

Was he obstructing his view though, why cant any utd fan talk about the reson why it was disallowed. The ref saw no issue with it.

Well do you think de gea's view was obstructed today.

But even if you apply the logic that he is interfering, why is it disallowed? Is it not a new phase as it hit Maguire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Everton robbed by VAR again
    Surprise, surprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That's not how it works.. Momentum is a huge thing.

This is the first thing that came to mind hen the Inter - Juve game was postponed to the end of the season. It's robbing Inter the chance to put a dent in Juve and possibly kick off a poor run.If they beat them theyd be 3 points behind with a game in hand. As it stands the game may well count for nothing and the league might be over by then.

Planet Football had an article the other day on the teams that have been most affected by VAR. United were second on the list. After today they are joint top.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/ranking-every-premier-league-club-by-who-has-benefited-most-from-var/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭This is it

Just watched the disallowed goal. Correct decision with regards to interfering with play for me. Gylfi sitting right in front of DDG, get off the ground ffs. Whether it's another phase or should be allowed because of Maguire's touch, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

This is it wrote: »
    Just watched the disallowed goal. Correct decision with regards to interfering with play for me. Gylfi sitting right in front of DDG, get off the ground ffs. Whether it's another phase or should be allowed because of Maguire's touch, I don't know.

Good point. If i remember correctly Harry Kane scored v Liverpool from an offside position a few seasons back. The deflection off Lovren was deemed to have played him on.

Well do you think de gea's view was obstructed today.

i do yes

dermott gallagher will on tomorrow to lend his opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Planet Football had an article the other day on the teams that have been most affected by VAR. United were second on the list. After today they are joint top.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/ranking-every-premier-league-club-by-who-has-benefited-most-from-var/

That article was before the Watford disallowed goal so I think Utd are top now with +8 from VAR

so without VAR they'd be the most screwed over team is what you're saying?

how bad was maguires touch though :pac:

dermott gallagher will on tomorrow to lend his opinion

He will say it was a correct decision as well.

You cannot sit in front of keeper like that and not expect the goal to be ruled out

so without VAR they'd be the most screwed over team is what you're saying?

Well no because not every VAR decision has been correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Again why isn't AWB tackle on Sigerson a peno? He shoots and is completely taken out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

joe_99 wrote: »
    Good point. If i remember correctly Harry Kane scored v Liverpool from an offside position a few seasons back. The deflection off Lovren was deemed to have played him on.

He didn't score he got a peno from it

Again why isn't AWB tackle on Sigerson a peno? He shoots and is completely taken out of it

Its not clear and obvious. Thats the rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

He was on the ground as he'd just been sliced down by a united player after trying to get away a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

What was sigiardson doing anyway, sitting on his hole fiddling with his socks? Get up to Fvck and play the game....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I don't think Ge Gea gets to it anyway but it's the correct decision, first goal was funny

Was he obstructing his view though, why cant any utd fan talk about the reson why it was disallowed. The ref saw no issue with it.

Why cant you understanding that interfering with play doesnt just mean obstructing the view of the keeper. Why cant liverpool fans not understand that by him LIFTING HIS LEGS which ultimately has an impact on the outcome of the balls final destination,contact or not that he was INTERFERING with play in an offside position.

Well done VAR

joe_99 wrote: »

Ah if only they had VAR then liverpool would probably have won the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Honestly what the feck was Siggy doing? Taking in the sun, working on his tan? GTFO

Its completely stupid and wrong but they are never given, happens about 3 times a weekend, you can pretty much fo what you likd to a player once he gets a sjit off, why its like this I Fong know but it's nothing new

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement