Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Its completely stupid and wrong but they are never given, happens about 3 times a weekend, you can pretty much fo what you likd to a player once he gets a sjit off, why its like this I Fong know but it's nothing new

I guess so long as the tackle isn't impeding the shot I guess it's sort of a double advantage of it's a foul too. AWB probably did affect the shot this time though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iknow a lot of opposition fans like to call Trent out on his defending, This weekend was his first mistake that lead directly to a goal it was Dé Geas 7thof the season, That is woeful from the highest paid keeper in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Goalkeepers tend to get more of these called on them than outfield players although this one was Karius level bad.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Iknow a lot of opposition fans like to call Trent out on his defending, This weekend was his first mistake that lead directly to a goal it was Dé Geas 7thof the season, That is woeful from the highest paid keeper in the world

Since start of last season. Still not great mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Goalkeepers tend to get more of these called on them than outfield players although this one was Karius level bad.

Another reason it's so much easier to be an attacker than a defender or goalie, all it takes is one thing to go wrong as a defender or goalie and you're screwed, all it takes is one thing to go right as an attacker and you can be the golden goose of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

for sure, in the Salzberg away game Salah was being lambasted when suddenly he scored a wonder goal and was hero of the hour again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Embarrassment is a very powerful weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

DAZN are launching in the UK and 200 other countries are considering entering the bidding for PL rights in the next round of bidding.

Hopefully they launch in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

DAZN are launching in the UK and 200 other countries are considering entering the bidding for PL rights in the next round of bidding.

I dunno - could go one way or the other, couldn't it? If the scooped the lot, i'd be all for it but if we end up with rights split between Sky, BT, Premier, DAZN, Amazon or more, it could end up with the customer shelling out a lot more!

I dunno - could go one way or the other, couldn't it? If the scooped the lot, i'd be all for it but if we end up with rights split between Sky, BT, Premier, DAZN, Amazon or more, it could end up with the customer shelling out a lot more!

I mean it as DAZN Ireland and not DAZN UK/Ireland.

I would like to see Ireland have it's own rights now Brexit happened it won't happen though Ireland is just a second though to most of these companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm kinda sick of football rights being stretched out between Sky & BT, then you have Freesport, Amazon, LaLigaTV, Eir & Premier Sports. I literally have to use this site to see what is on where http://www.footballontvireland.com/
    I can't say I'd be delighted with another person entering the fray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Ah if only they had VAR then liverpool would probably have won the league.

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

dermott gallagher will on tomorrow to lend his opinion

And he said it was the correct decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The only future is the PL doing their own streaming service, piracy is costing them big. Give me a service where I can watch every prem watch for €250 a year in 4k and I'll gladly pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Daniel Sturrige having a bad time,released by his club and now banned until 17 June from all footballing activity for gambling irregularities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

joe_99 wrote: »
    What are you on about?

Apparently they were all saying with VAR coming in Liverpool would be found out and would not be challenging for the league when it was announced, now it is Liverpool will only be champions again because VAR was brought in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Great to see players like Sturridge punished for cheating and making money out of it the ban should have been a lot longer with a huge fine on the 7 figure region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Daniel Sturrige having a bad time,released by his club and now banned until 17 June from all footballing activity for gambling irregularities.

Im pretty sure the first part is due to the second, they knew what was coming

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Im pretty sure the first part is due to the second, they knew what was coming

The club wanted to keep Sturridge but he decided it would not be fair to be paid when he can't play ,
    Basically he told his family he was moving clubs I think it was when he was going on loan to Westbrom and someone then tried to make a bet ( not him) It also seems the bet was never actully made , That is what he has been banned for ,

He released a video about it

Never even heard of DAZN until 5 minutes ago. I'd prefer Premflix myself but you just know Ireland would not be a market they'd allow as the PL has such a cosy relationship with SKY and BT.

Never even heard of DAZN until 5 minutes ago. I'd prefer Premflix myself but you just know Ireland would not be a market they'd allow as the PL has such a cosy relationship with SKY and BT.

Piracy is getting bigger and more sophisticated. They have tried court orders on blocking servers, they took down X-Codes which effected 50m subscribers and most were back up in a week. Your average idiot can still find a decent stream of a PL game.

A dedicated PL service is the only way to go, they need to remove that stupid ban on broadcasting saturday 3pm games it'll do nothing to attendances in this day and age.

Less people even have a Sky/Virgin box in their house now and the PL know they are losing viewers.

It's way overdue but will happen and will send Sky into extinction I imagine.

I have my own internet sauce which since I found it has never let me down, indeed it's so reliable I'm shocked it's not been spotted - it's not like they keep changing the URL or anything.

It would be hilarious if SKY lost the PL rights in the light of the UK governments ongoing war against the BBC. Suddenly their mantra about subscription model to thrive with would look very threadbare. People only have SKY for two core reasons now - Sport (and that's overwhelmingly football) and Sky Atlantic's big brash American series - and the latter is also starting to spread out elsewhere onto other platforms and channels. No one would pay for Sky One or Living.

The most watched shows and channels on the Sky platform are actually all free on free to air channels and people pay for the pleasure to watch what would be free to them via other platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why cant you understanding that interfering with play doesnt just mean obstructing the view of the keeper. Why cant liverpool fans not understand that by him LIFTING HIS LEGS which ultimately has an impact on the outcome of the balls final destination,contact or not that he was INTERFERING with play in an offside position.

Well done VAR

Hang on how does him lifting his legs have any outcome on the balls final destination. What are you getting at here. General question is obstructing the keepers view classified as interfering with play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

I have my own internet sauce which since I found it has never let me down, indeed it's so reliable I'm shocked it's not been spotted - it's not like they keep changing the URL or anything.
    Any chance of a pm as to the sauce you use. Please and thank you. Mobdro is not the same anymore.

The most watched shows and channels on the Sky platform are actually all free on free to air channels and people pay for the pleasure to watch what would be free to them via other platforms.

Exactly and Disney are moving there channels over to there own streaming platform also. Subscription digital tv is a dying format, i have a virgin box it was the same price as the broadband with it, it's never turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Any news on the Manager of the Month nominees for February?

Klopp had his first defeat of the season, but think he's the only manager to win 3 games in Feb this year so still in with a shout.

Arteta, Pep and maybe Sean Dyche in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

8-10 wrote: »
    Any news on the Manager of the Month nominees for February?

Klopp had his first defeat of the season, but think he's the only manager to win 3 games in Feb this year so still in with a shout.

Arteta, Pep and maybe Sean Dyche in the mix.

Arsenal only played 3 league games in February, winning two and drawing one. Same results as Sheffield United and Man United. City lost one and won two.

Burnley won two and drew two. Liverpool won three and lost one.

I'd probably go for Dyche seeing as it was 4 games and no losses.

• Advertisement

Seen a stat today, man utd have the 2nd most cleans sheets across all competitions in europe behind psg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

bangkok wrote: »
    Seen a stat today, man utd have the 2nd most cleans sheets across all competitions in europe behind psg

You'd expect that when you draw the likes of Astana, Alkmaar, Partizan Belgrade, Rochdale, Tranmere & Colchester in the cups.

Liverpool, Man City, Leicester City, Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Sheffield United, Burnley and Watford all have more in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,284 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

surprising given their shambolic season to date. still, a nice stat. maybe the signs of some progress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

FitzShane wrote: »
    You'd expect that when you draw the likes of Astana, Alkmaar, Partizan Belgrade, Rochdale, Tranmere & Colchester in the cups.

Liverpool, Man City, Leicester City, Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Sheffield United, Burnley and Watford all have more in the league.

Plenty of more significant clean sheets recently that you've missed there:

Chelsea. Three consecutive clean sheets against Wolves (FA Cup included)
    And Man City in the Carabao Cup Semi.

United's league defensive record is pretty decent (when you consider how inconsistent the season has been). Much much better than Chelsea and Spurs. And only conceded 1 goal more than Man City.

It's the goals scored stat where United are falling down. Averaging just 1.5 per league game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Plenty of more significant clean sheets recently that you've missed there:

Chelsea. Three consecutive clean sheets against Wolves (FA Cup included)
    And Man City in the Carabao Cup Semi.

United's league defensive record is pretty decent (when you consider how inconsistent the season has been). Much much better than Chelsea and Spurs. And only conceded 1 goal more than Man City.

It's the goals scored stat where United are falling down. Averaging just 1.5 per league game.

The stat was clean sheets in Europe no? So why would they be included?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,284 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

The stat was clean sheets in Europe no? So why would they be included?

across all comps was my reading of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

across all comps was my reading of it

Ah I read it as European comps. Probably all comps then I guess.

surprising given their shambolic season to date. still, a nice stat. maybe the signs of some progress?

Shambolic? Over hype much

Villa in real trouble if they go back down as far as I can tell.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/04/aston-villa-announce-69m-loss-despite-sale-of-villa-park
    Aston Villa made a £69m loss last season when winning promotion from the Championship under their new investor-owners, the club’s published accounts have revealed. That loss would have been much greater, and possibly breached the limits of the EFL’s financial “profit and sustainability” regulations, if the owners had not bought Villa Park for £56.7m via another of their companies.

The accounts of the overall Villa holding company, Recon Group UK Limited, for the year to 31 May 2019, record a £36m profit on the sale of Villa Park, so without it, the club’s loss could have been £105m. The Land Registry record for the stadium notes the £56.7m sale to NSWE Stadium Limited, owned by Villa’s joint owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, was completed on 21 May, just 10 days before the financial year end.

Outrageous slight of hand accounting there. Jack Grealish and one or two others will be sold on of course should they get relgated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anyone watching John barnes on the debate tonight. He is coming across like a fool, playing the constant victim and not willing to debate anything.

Jose not so special anymore

• niallo27 wrote: »
    Anyone watching John barnes on the debate tonight. He is coming across like a fool, playing the constant victim and not willing to debate anything.

He certainly does have some valid points but it sure does feel he's holding an historical grudge.
    Incredibly hard for the governance of football to control racial issues within society in general.
    Football can try and tackle the issue of racism at grassroots level / club level but it won't ever be eradicated with footballing bodies alone.
    Geoff Shreeves didn't really put many debatable questions to him all the same.

Jose not so special anymore

That's been evident for a number of years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It’s actually remarkable that Jose’s “time” ended up being approximately a decade, give or take a year or two depending on your perspective.

So after VAR admitted they got it wrong about the lo Celso tackle will the PL and FA take retrospective action?

• Advertisement

So after VAR admitted they got it wrong about the lo Celso tackle will the PL and FA take retrospective action?

No because var reviewed it at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Shambolic? Over hype much

On course for the lowest points tally in decades I'd guess I would say that is shambolic

Nuts102 wrote: »
    On course for the lowest points tally in decades I'd guess I would say that is shambolic

Get a top 4 finish and win europa league i will be very happy.

First time in a long time im actually looking forward to watch us play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Get a top 4 finish and win europa league i will be very happy

Does top 4 matter to you that much if you win the EL?

niallo27 wrote: »

Not sure how you make that out ?

He literally saying racism effects the average black man/women in every day way more than a pro footballer , That Fa and government put money into stopping racism at games and think its resolving the problem when that doesn't change anything for the average person on the street ,

He had some very valid points ,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement