Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

8-10 wrote: »
    Does top 4 matter to you that much if you win the EL?

Not really but it would be nice to finish season strongly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

bangkok wrote: »

Just curious would you be happy with 4th ?

Looking at the United squad in general would people say its better or worse than , Chelsea, Leicester ,Arsenal Spurs ?

Basically would 4th be a good achievement for Ole with that Squad ? Are they the 4th best squad In the league ?

Just curious would you be happy with 4th ?

Looking at the United squad in general would people say its better or worse than , Chelsea, Leicester ,Arsenal Spurs ?

Basically would 4th be a good achievement for Ole with that Squad ? Are they the 4th best squad In the league ?

This season yes next season no.

There are actual signs of real progression this season. Rashford has been a huge loss and we are still playing very well. Pogba has missed most of the season. All of oles signings have been very good and fernandes looks like a superstar already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Right, but win the EL I'd say you'd be happy with 7th!

It'd be 1st seed in the Champions League next season

This season yes next season no.

There are actual signs of real progression this season. Rashford has been a huge loss and we are still playing very well. Pogba has missed most of the season. All of oles signings have been very good and fernandes looks like a superstar already.

Obviously being a united fan you'd have better view than me,

My honest and non biased view is

From the outside Rashford looks to have taken a huge stride forward ,

Bruno looks like he is class player,

Maguire looks average but probably your best CB

Bissaka good defensively poor going forward , Next year
    is huge for him if he doesn't improve attacking wise I can't see him lasting at United ,

James is not good enough be gone to someone like West ham by the end of next season or become a Linguard in terms of hope that never really comes through ,

Again that's from the outside,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Man Utd's progress depends on expectations. If the expectation next season is for them to challenge for the league title then no, it's not happening under this regime. If the expectation is for Man Utd to try to challenge Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal and cement themselves as the 3rd best team in the league then maybe that could happen.

Man Utd's progress depends on expectations. If the expectation next season is for them to challenge for the league title then no, it's not happening under this regime. If the expectation is for Man Utd to try to challenge Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal and cement themselves as the 3rd best team in the league then maybe that could happen.

Not being smart but surely with current squads United should already be competing with Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal,

Ole has some big name player, De Gea, Maguire, AWB ,Pogba, Rashford , Martial , now Bruno ,

I know they have had injured but so have Spurs and Chelsea ,Arsenal squad is far worse than United ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Not being smart but surely with current squads United should already be competing with Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal,

Ole has some big name player, De Gea, Maguire, AWB ,Pogba, Rashford , Martial , now Bruno ,

I know they have had injured but so have Spurs and Chelsea ,Arsenal squad is far worse than United ,

They should and, by and large, they are, but right now Chelsea look like the best of the rest (with their own issues) and with the best capabilities to challenge the top two. For those with lower expectations Ole beating out Chelsea and finishing ahead of them might be considered progress. Personally I don't consider it such with the resources they have.

We are only 3 off chelsea and are ahead of both arsenal and spurs. Arsenal are 10th in the league and got knocked outof the europa league by an average side

We are only 3 off chelsea and are ahead of both arsenal and spurs. Arsenal are 10th in the league and got knocked outof the europa league by an average side

I know but someone said the goal is to compete with them next season ,

Surely should be looking to be looking beyond them , As I always say teams are ever as far away from the top as they think ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Not sure how you make that out ?

He literally saying racism effects the average black man/women in every day way more than a pro footballer , That Fa and government put money into stopping racism at games and think its resolving the problem when that doesn't change anything for the average person on the street ,

He had some very valid points ,

Did you hear him on about women linesman, he said if they make a mistake they are vilified because they are women not because of the mistake. This is simply not true if a linesman ****s up I'll abuse them the same man woman or child. I just found him very dismissive of anyone's opinion besides his own.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Did you hear him on about women linesman, he said if they make a mistake they are vilified because they are women not because of the mistake. This is simply not true if a linesman ****s up I'll abuse them the same man woman or child. I just found him very dismissive of anyone's opinion besides his own.

Yes but your not (well I hope not) one of the idiots that will abuse her more because she's a women ,
    The world we live in is full of idiots I'm afraid,

Geoff Shreve's was question's and points where crap because he has sky in his ear piece making sure he doesn't say anything out of turn or anything that come across as view on something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Geoff Shreeves is a pointless figure

I can't believe he makes a living out of asking banal canned questions in post-match interviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

niallo27 wrote: »

Sian Massey-Ellis is one on the best if not the best ref assistants there is in England

Great performance from utd tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

There is an fa cup thread to post in as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

You mean to post that a few days ago?? United ain't playing in premier league tonight.

jayo26 wrote: »
    You mean to post that a few days ago?? United ain't playing in premier league tonight.

Have you a link to the thread? Couldnt see one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,284 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

good to see ighalo get the brace. close to the hatrick as well.

wonder who the 1st will be given to.

they've been keeping a good few clean sheets as well

• Advertisement

good to see ighalo get the brace. close to the hatrick as well.

wonder who the 1st will be given to.

they've been keeping a good few clean sheets as well

Shaw will keep it id say.

Yea lots of clean sheets and good to watch again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Have you a link to the thread? Couldnt see one

It's the sixth thread down in the Soccer Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Remarkably low key response to Eric Diers shenanigans last night.
    FA have asked him for his observations, probably a small fine and perhaps a game or two suspended near the end of the season when it matters not a jot.

Strange coverage IMHO, if it was a supporter who came onto the field and tried to attack a player, they'd already be banned from football grounds (probably for life) - should it be that different if the shoe's on the other foot?

Utd v city this weekend. Should be a cracker

FA have asked him for his observations, probably a small fine and perhaps a game or two suspended near the end of the season when it matters not a jot.

Strange coverage IMHO, if it was a supporter who came onto the field and tried to attack a player, they'd already be banned from football grounds (probably for life) - should it be that different if the shoe's on the other foot?

Hes an english player so they will look out for him.

Cantona was banned for 9 months for going into the crowd. Dier should get at least 6 months but never gonna happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Spurs player- Yes
    England player - Yes

The FA or the media are never going after him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

bangkok wrote:
    Cantona was banned for 9 months for going into the crowd. Dier should get at least 6 months but never gonna happen

Going into the crowd? What?

That's not what he did.

Hes an english player so they will look out for him.

In fairness Cantona went in with a flying kick.

Baggly wrote: »
    Going into the crowd? What?

That's not what he did.

Dier jumped 20 rows of seats and punched someone in the middle of the stand. He fully deserves 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jumping 20 rows of seats the lad should be head to the Olympics he would hands down win the long jump gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Jumping 20 rows of seats the lad should be head to the Olympics he would hands down win the long jump gold.

More like the high hurdles than the long jump!

• Advertisement

He'd also win the grand national

Being serious though, he def should face a minimum 3month ban. Was a crazy thing he did and you cant attack a fan in the crowd

Being serious though, he def should face a minimum 3month ban. Was a crazy thing he did and you cant attack a fan in the crowd

did he throw a punch? if so, a lengthy ban is in order.

wa cantona provoked?

and evra got a fair hammering as well

Utd v city this weekend. Should be a cracker

hopefully a high scoring cracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

bangkok wrote:
    Dier jumped 20 rows of seats and punched someone in the middle of the stand. He fully deserves 6 months

I was referring to Cantona...
    bangkok wrote:

Yeah stupid move. 3 months would seem fair to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He should get a ban till the end of the season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

He should get a ban till the end of the season.

And a community service order to teach football to north London kids. Just like another Eric I seem to remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I doubt Dier would be a loss to spurs for a few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Did Dier actually attack a fan? Or just go into the crowd and remonstrate with a fan who was abusing his brother (or teammates)?

If it was alleged racial abuse of his teammate, then I fully support what Dier did.

How did Dier hear what was going on from so far away in a packed stadium? Whatever caused the fight, be it racism or just general eejitry, how could Dier of known until after he got up there? I don't see anyone wearing white sheets from head to toe in those clips, or any other visual sign that Dier could have made out from the pitch to know what was causing the commotion.

• Advertisement

How did Dier hear what was going on from so far away in a packed stadium? Whatever caused the fight, be it racism or just general eejitry, how could Dier of known until after he got up there? I don't see anyone wearing white sheets from head to toe in those clips, or any other visual sign that Dier could have made out from the pitch to know what was causing the commotion.

The guy he chased ran back up the stand apparently so I assume he was down the front row at first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

More abuse from fans to players, this happened last night. Doesn't look like Lingard responded.

https://twitter.com/United__Live/status/1235756315038887936?s=19

FitzShane wrote: »
    More abuse from fans to players, this happened last night. Doesn't look like Lingard responded.

https://twitter.com/United__Live/status/1235756315038887936?s=19

You would have to wonder what does be going through a lads head when he is screaming and shouting at a player like that. Prob loads of kids around as well waiting for a picture or autograph

'Man Utd to investigate Lingard racist abuse'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11950825

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

He didn't attack anyone or throw any punches so stop the hyperbole.

Some 'fan' started dishing out abuse to Dier and his brother which footballers get on a daily/weekly basis and when Dier went and confronted him about it, the coward ran.

He'll get a fine/ban for the sole reason that he left the pitch area.

Personally, I say fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

'Man Utd to investigate Lingard racist abuse'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11950825
    Manchester United have launched an investigation into alleged foul-mouthed abuse aimed at Jesse Lingard following their 3-0 win at Derby on Thursday night.

United will seek to speak to Derby about the incident which happened as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's squad made their way onto the team bus at Pride Park.

More to follow...

Where do you see "racist"?

I take it, this investigation is about that clip a few posts back.

inforfun wrote: »

Dammit...had a whole post up about racist abuse, which is a criminal matter, and abuse, which is simply someone being vulgar.

Took it down as assumed I missed some word or phrase in what Lingard got that took it into the former category...

'Fernandes, Aubameyang nominated for February award'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11950755

Fernandes surely will win this

inforfun wrote: »

Sky obviously got it wrong and have since changed their headline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The Dier incident is funny if it was scott mctominay or jordan henderson that did it. This thread would be non stop about it with varying opinions depending on which player did it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement