Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

JPA wrote: »
    He's involved but how long can we forgive the chances he's missing, he's costing us games with his misses. On the otherhand of Traore was playing maybe he wouldn't even get in those positions.

We badly needed a quick and right footed winger come into the club this summer, not a player like Traore.

Grealish usually drags all the attention to the other side, its more often then not on the right where we have the most space. Trez lacks the the pace and strength to make it in the PL.

I really couldnt care less if I never see Hourihane play for us again. He offers nothing bar his set pieces, I really want him to do well but I just dont think he is up to this level. Hopefully Barkley will be fit again soon.

150 times now he has played for Villa.... he is up there with McClean for Ireland as the most useless player ive had to endure watching play so many times ...

As it goes tonight wasn't his worst night in a villa shirt. I thought McGinn was far worse and pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Don’t get the Traore hate. 20 minutes, looked dangerous enough, few crosses, decent effort on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

JPA wrote: »
    He's involved but how long can we forgive the chances he's missing, he's costing us games with his misses. On the otherhand of Traore was playing maybe he wouldn't even get in those positions.

His misses are frustrating alright. But I’ll take him and his generally strong performances ahead of someone like Mings who is a walking error and McGinn who has offered little since in the injury.

Overall it was a great performance so we need to replicate it for 3 points on Friday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

CucaFace wrote: »
    150 times now he has played for Villa.... he is up there with McClean for Ireland as the most useless player ive had to endure watching play so many times ...

As it goes tonight wasn't his worst night in a villa shirt. I thought McGinn was far worse and pointless.

Agree with all that, you could see Luiz was frustrated every time he was on the ball, pointing at the lads and telling them where they should be. Need a big performance on Friday night after the last two losses. It just didnt happen tonight, concede two early each half, the misses we had plus the lack of a performance from others and yet we still should have got something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

CSF wrote: »
    His misses are frustrating alright. But I’ll take him and his generally strong performances ahead of someone like Mings who is a walking error and McGinn who has offered little since in the injury.

Overall it was a great performance so we need to replicate it for 3 points on Friday now.

Totally agree, Trez will score and has scored some seriously important ones, work rate is unbelievable and I think the protection he gives Cash is part of the reason Cash is getting a lot of praise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

The performance in general was decent. Much better than West Ham but we didn't deserve anything from that game based on the howlers for the goals. Those lapses and mistakes should simply not be happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Maybe it's just karma, all those deflected goals versus Liverpool have to be paid back to keep karma in balance

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Newcastle game in doubt with a covid outbreak there.

Newcastle game in doubt with a covid outbreak there.

Apparently the rule is that if Newcastle have 14 available players between their first team and under 21 team, the game goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not sure why Mings is getting blamed for the first goal unless I'm missing another incident? Ogbonna was one of the players being marked, by Luiz I think, and they all turned to watch the ball when it was coming in rather than their men. Mings was zonal marking. 2nd goal was very poor by midfield not following runners in, at least 2 West Ham players could have put it in.

Unlucky in the end but silly goals to give away really. Trez played well but needs to be putting these chances away, no point getting into good positions unless you're making use of it. Can't go into Hourihane anymore really, just a weak spot constantly. Play that well and stop the silly errors and should pick up a good few points over December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Corholio wrote: »
    Not sure why Mings is getting blamed for the first goal unless I'm missing another incident? Ogbonna was one of the players being marked, by Luiz I think, and they all turned to watch the ball when it was coming in rather than their men. Mings was zonal marking. 2nd goal was very poor by midfield not following runners in, at least 2 West Ham players could have put it in.

Unlucky in the end but silly goals to give away really. Trez played well but needs to be putting these chances away, no point getting into good positions unless you're making use of it. Can't go into Hourihane anymore really, just a weak spot constantly. Play that well and stop the silly errors and should pick up a good few points over December.

I looked at the first goal quite closely. Basically, 3 West Ham players are clustered in the middle, and are marked by 3 villa players: McGinn, Hourihane, and Luiz. The 3 West Ham players split, 2 go to the front post, and Ogbonna to back. All 3 villa players follow the 2 west ham lads to the front post, and Ogbonna gets a free run and jump on a stationary Targett (who never had a chance). Hard to say which of our 3 lads originally had Ogbonna, but it looks like McGinn to me. Such a simply 'play' by West Ham and we are undone by it.

The second West Ham goal is TERRIBLE too. Bowen plays a simple 1-2. As he plays the first pass out wide, he is surrounded by 2 or 3 players (no real trouble yet), but he is then allowed to drift into the box completely untracked, and is completely free for the header. Awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Apparently the rule is that if Newcastle have 14 available players between their first team and under 21 team, the game goes ahead.

Fixture has been rescheduled. We have to squeeze it in later in the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Surely we should get a walkover? We are able to play! Not our fault Newcastle can't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Well it's not Newcastle's fault either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Surely we should get a walkover? We are able to play! Not our fault Newcastle can't.

That's very cold. Could be Villa in 2 weeks for all we know.

You’re not exactly talking about a Sunday league team not being able to put out a team cause half of them are too hungover to play! I’m happy enough with the postponement.

Yeah, would we really want Grealish playing against a bunch of lads who could easily have it? Too risky for our lads aswell as theirs.

An ok interview with Weimann and his time at Villa if anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/4MM7N11ID00

On the postponement, wonder what sky will do? Last time there was a televised game that was postponed (in my memory), they had Newcastle Villa 4-3 replayed and Yorke got a hatrick

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Looking more and more likely that Terry could be taking the Derby job. Wouldn’t want to lose any part of our management team but for such a good defender as a coach our defending is often our biggest liability and outside of motivational pre match speeches it’s hard to know his role.

• Advertisement

Looking more and more likely that Terry could be taking the Derby job. Wouldn’t want to lose any part of our management team but for such a good defender as a coach our defending is often our biggest liability and outside of motivational pre match speeches it’s hard to know his role.

He will be no loss at all.

You are spot on with regards to our defending, especially from set pieces which has got to be the main thing Terry would be doing with our squad in training surely?

Also the second biggest issue with our squad is poor motivation at the start of games as can be seen by early goals conceded against Southampton and West ham in both halves. We seem to start a lot of games with a very poor attitude and end up a goal behind which for a counter attacking side is just totally disastrous which is why we have lost most of the games this year against Southampton, Leeds, Brighton and West Ham.

I have never seen any impact Terry has made on our side to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Not the attitude of a team hoping to have a good season. If you are desperate to pick up points gratis, says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hard to know the impact of JT until he leaves.

How our CB and vice captain Mings makes so many casual and lazy errors is beyond me. Surely he should be eliminating Cruyff turns by now.

He really needs competition which I feel would reduce those errors in him. Elmo was closest CB we had on the bench against West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

sternn wrote: »

https://twitter.com/HiteshJhall/status/1335512901365456897?s=19.

The Sun and Daily Mail reporting it should always be further questioned.

Not the attitude of a team hoping to have a good season. If you are desperate to pick up points gratis, says a lot.

What has the opinion of one random fan on an Irish website got to do with the attitude or ambition of an entire club. What a bizarre post.

Photo of Grealish doing the rounds on a bed with a with half naked woman, not a good look.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Photo of Grealish doing the rounds on a bed with a with half naked woman, not a good look.

I mean I’m certain he did not intend for those photos to get out. Think a lot of young Premier League footballers would look bad if pictures of their private lives got out.

Between this and him going for lunch with Barkley, people might be trying to create a picture of him that is a bit unfair.

I mean I’m certain he did not intend for those photos to get out. Think a lot of young Premier League footballers would look bad if pictures of their private lives got out.

Between this and him going for lunch with Barkley, people might be trying to create a picture of him that is a bit unfair.

He looks out of it, not good.
    Thought he had a long term GF, that's not her, not good.
    He's 25 and club captain, not a good image.

Lockdown and covid and all that.
    Has he not learned from April when he was in the news again?

If all that is true, he'd really need to cop on and Grow TF up.

• Advertisement

He looks out of it, not good.
    Thought he had a long term GF, that's not her, not good.
    He's 25 and club captain, not a good image.

Lockdown and covid and all that.
    Has he not learned from April when he was in the news again?

If all that is true, he'd really need to cop on and Grow TF up.

Does he have a long term gf? Never heard about it. Is there confirmation of when the picture is from?

Just got forwarded the photo, fair play to him.

The photo is apparently not new, some saying it's 2 years old. But it's literally just a photo in bed with a woman, neither are naked etc. Pretty harmless photo that only Jack baiters will foam at the mouth at.

The photo is apparently not new, some saying it's 2 years old. But it's literally just a photo in bed with a woman, neither are naked etc. Pretty harmless photo that only Jack baiters will foam at the mouth at.

It’s definitely better if it’s an old one pre-Covid alright. He’s had quite a few brushes with those regulations already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Some saying it's Derek Chisora in a wig....

Thought his girlfriend was Laura Woods from Sky

kilburn wrote: »
    Some saying it's Derek Chisora in a wig....

Thought his girlfriend was Laura Woods from Sky

Maybe she took the photo?

• Advertisement

Was it not a photoshop?

I hope not.

McGinn extends contract to 2025.

I can remember a time where I’d have been much more excited about this.

These long term contracts often turn players into lazy, uninterested players.
    I hope this isn't the case with McGinn.

• Advertisement

Trezeguet out is a big problem

Ramsey selected ahead of Hourihane, says a lot.

Trezeguet out is a big problem

Big time, Wolves are very strong on the wings and Trezeguet work ethic and willingness to defend will be hugely missed today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Davis missing too, so no forwards options at all except El Ghazi or Traore up front if anything happens to Watkins

Edit: never seen such a defensive bench, Guilbert Hause Nakamba....Elmo..

Big time, Wolves are very strong on the wings and Trezeguet work ethic and willingness to defend will be hugely missed today.

Only fortunate thing is that Adama plays on the other side.

This is a game where you can see how costly the lack of depth is. Every player missing from the first eleven is a huge drop to the next.

Traore still way off Trezeguet’s level. Hard to see us finishing this with 11 men. Would get Hourihane on early enough in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Been much improved second half, no final ball is an issue

Luiz sent off.

Mike Dean very card happy today, although that was a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Douglas Luiz second yellow. I didn't see the first yellow but can't really complain about the second as it was deserving of a yellow

11 yellow cards and barely a bad tackle in the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement