Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

El Ghazi pen, 0-1. That should be 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

last minute drama. McGinn brought down in the box. Don't let Watkins take it

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

matrim wrote: »
    last minute drama. McGinn brought down in the box. Don't let Watkins take it

Any reason why Grealish doesn't take the penos? My fantasy football team dislikes this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Take it and run!!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not the greatest game but 3 points vs Wolves away (even if they are really missing Jiminez) and Ramsey playing 90mins in the Premiership is nice. Missing Cash and Luiz is not ideal in the next game but Guilbert and Nakamba should be really up for their chance (assuming its those two who get the chance) and it could be worse timing than against Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Martinez was great, weird game. Watkins again just not a focal point, need to adjust his role.

Scrappy game, draw probably a fair result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Great 3 points in the end. Undeservedly lost a few games this season so good to nick that one right at the end. Wasn't a huge amount between the teams, Wolves had better chances but Villa mostly held their own. Ramsey grew into the game, looks a very good option there and offers more energy than others too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Christ, I was settling for the 0-0. Much needed win and 2 winnable games coming up.

Martinez MOTM by far.

Nice to see us scraping out wins like that. Those are the kind of games where we let in the last minute goal last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Great result that. I’m like a broken record but Martinez has been such a good signing.

It's a weird old season but still mad after the past few seasons to see Villa's name wedged in between Man Utd and Man City in the premiership table after playing the same amount of games as both.

Yeah you could argue thats because they have both been poor (and you'd be right) but every team above those three (in Villa) have played more games.

We have Burnley, West Brom and Palace next 3. Then it gets very difficult, we should go all out for 9 points coz points could dry up after that.

Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs all in a row after that.
    GiHDjUy.gif

Thought Targett did great against Traore today, made him put in only random crosses. McGinn got in around them today, he looked his annoying self today, as shown with the penalty. It'll be interesting to see who comes in for Luiz, especially if Barkley is back on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

matrim wrote: »
    Nice to see us scraping out wins like that. Those are the kind of games where we let in the last minute goal last year.

This is it. It wasn't pretty, but the teams that do well are the ones that can grind out results like this and so far this season Villa haven't done it so hopefully this is a turn in form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Great to see us get a win... Martinez in goal did great but just delighted with 3 points. To top it off i had Cash and Target to get booked and a red in the game :D so many cards!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Lovely to see a win grinded out like that.

Martinez was excellent.

Fair play to AEG, I didn't fancy him stepping up like that but delighted he proved me wrong.

10 games and no draw is mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Corholio wrote: »
    Thought Targett did great against Traore today, made him put in only random crosses. McGinn got in around them today, he looked his annoying self today, as shown with the penalty. It'll be interesting to see who comes in for Luiz, especially if Barkley is back on Thursday.

Really agree with this. Targett was great.

Was thinking the same myself during the match. I am not Targett's biggest fan and would like him to have some competition for that position ideally but he was really good today. Hope he can keep it up.

Fair play to El Ghazi as well I've often been critical of him (don't personally think he is prem standard) but that was a very well taken penalty. Would have been interesting to see who would have taken it if he didn't come on.

With Luiz out for Burnley it looks like Ramsey will be keeping his place in the starting lineup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Apparently Jack let El Ghazi take the penalty which I thought was a nice touch

• Advertisement

pavb2 wrote: »
    Apparently Jack let El Ghazi take the penalty which I thought was a nice touch

Is it? If he's on penalties then take responsibility. El Ghazi scored so doesn't matter now.

Smith said that if both Jack and El Ghazi were on the pitch then El Ghazi was first in line to take the kick

It took 20 games last season to reach 18 points, this season it's taken 10 and very unlucky it isn't more points tbh.

I'm guessing Elmo for Cash and possibly Nakamba for Luiz on Thursday.

RIP Gerard Houllier.

Always felt things might have been difference if he hadn't had to leave due to ill health.

A real gentleman.

Corholio wrote: »
    It took 20 games last season to reach 18 points, this season it's taken 10 and very unlucky it isn't more points tbh.

I'm guessing Elmo for Cash and possibly Nakamba for Luiz on Thursday.

Nakamba is the obvious choice but Smith might pick Hourihane over him. It would be an unbalanced team though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

CSF wrote: »
    RIP Gerard Houllier.

Always felt things might have been difference if he hadn't had to leave due to ill health.

A real gentleman.

My thoughts exactly.
    Thorough gentleman.
    RIP.

That United game where it finished 2-2 is still probably one of the best games Villa have played against United in modern times, should have been 4 or 5 up in that. Just a glimpse of what he could have brought before his health problems. The first manager to take none of Gabby's nonsense too and let him waste his career himself.

R.I.P.

I'd have Guilbert in instead of Elmo, if only to put him in shop window if he's not wanted

Grealish banned off the road for 9 months.

Patser wrote: »
    I'd have Guilbert in instead of Elmo, if only to put him in shop window if he's not wanted

Yeah the obvious changes for me would be Guilbert and Nakamba coming in, though who knows if Smith will do the obvious thing. I would think bpth would have a point to prove even if it is simply that they deserve a move / to be brought on or rotated into the team more.

I've a feeling if Barkely is fit he may start but I'd be happy enough to see him named on the bench. I'td be great to actually have a game changer like that on the bench for once and Ramsey didn't do anything too bad vs Wolves... and yeah after writing all that Hourihane will probably start

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    Grealish banned off the road for 9 months.

Watch the video in this link, clearly under the influence. Poor behaviour.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shocking-police-release-jack-grealish-19461770

JPA wrote: »
    Watch the video in this link, clearly under the influence. Poor behaviour.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shocking-police-release-jack-grealish-19461770

Disgraceful, bloody idiot, no excusing any of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

How do we watch this game in ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

sc86 wrote:
    How do we watch this game in ireland?

It's on Amazon prime

I see that , i have amazon prime but couldnt see liverpool and spurs last night so thought might have been only available in uk

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Only available in the UK I believe.

Sh1t !!

Just go on the chat and say your region is wrong and ask that they change you to UK, if they say no just go on again and ask someone else

It's also on Premier Sports in Ireland if you are on NowTV (need a pass).

• Advertisement

Just go on the chat and say your region is wrong and ask that they change you to UK, if they say no just go on again and ask someone else

This. They will change it no questions asked usually. If you've never used Prime you will get a month free trial.
    Villa also on it against Chelsea on the 28th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JPA wrote:
    This. They will change it no questions asked usually. If you've never used Prime you will get a month free trial. Villa also on it against Chelsea on the 28th.
    I have prime but have not been able to watch a game. Do you need a vpn?

No you won't need a VPN but you will need them to change your account to a UK one

Hause and Nakamba start. No Konsa or Barkley, Ramsey on the bench. Grealish or Traore more central it looks like.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1339616388676284416?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

It's also on Premier Sports in Ireland if you are on NowTV (need a pass).

Just signed up to now tv for the rugby. I think Premier have almost everything that Amazon have?

No Konsa is a big loss, Christ the drop off from the first 11 is so severe :D

• Advertisement

We have no squad so a day like this was inevitable

CSF wrote: »
    We have no squad so a day like this was inevitable

Well, it's Burnley at home, so hopefully we have enough to get the win.

Very average looking team

Strong squad will come in time, after summer 2019 it was always going to be like this for 2 summers at least with the sheer turnover that happened.

Guilbert and Engels were starters last season, now 3rd chioce.... disappointing down turns there

• Advertisement
Advertisement