Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Panrich wrote: »
    Certainly best football since the 90's. MON may have achieved more but it was not very pretty to watch. Now we have good football and results.

Honestly, I dont remember the super good football in the 90s. Yorke's goals covered up a lot of dross, Saunders was the top scorer with 9 one year.... Juan Pablo who some people remember as a goal scoring machine actually only did it 1 season. The team with Dublin and Merson under Gregory was probably the best football up til project restart and that lasted 1 year.

Why wasn't Paul McGrath still playing for Man U when I started following football. Ill never forgive him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

LeBash wrote:
    Why wasn't Paul McGrath still playing for Man U when I started following football. Ill never forgive him.

Ah but Townsend, Houghton, Staunton & Cascarino would have always brought you back to Villa.....

kilburn wrote: »
    Ah but Townsend, Houghton, Staunton & Cascarino would have always brought you back to Villa.....

Cascarino wasn't there but Stan was my second favourite player.

Back in the days when commentators jokingly called us Aston O'Villa several times a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Any word on Barkley? Still not in the squad, thought he was meant to be back by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Disappointed to see Barkley not in the squad, I thought having missed the Chelsea game he'd be available on the bench tonight. Even if he just got 20 mins it would of been a real bonus. Recovery must not have been straight forward as expected.

I'd of preferred to see Hause start, he's played very well in the 3 games, Mings is unfocused, has too much interest in stuff off the pitch, gives away at least a chance per game due to his casual approach.

This is like a free swing for me, I don't expect anything and our record against Utd is atrocious. I just hope we don't pick up any injuries given the volume of games there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Mings better be good tonight.
    Barkley is a strange one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Esse85 wrote: »
    Disappointed to see Barkley not in the squad, I thought having missed the Chelsea game he'd be available on the bench tonight. Even if he just got 20 mins it would of been a real bonus. Recovery must not have been straight forward as expected.

I'd of preferred to see Hause start, he's played very well in the 3 games, Mings is unfocused, has too much interest in stuff off the pitch, gives away at least a chance per game due to his casual approach.

This is like a free swing for me, I don't expect anything and our record against Utd is atrocious. I just hope we don't pick up any injuries given the volume of games there is.

What stuff does Mings have too much interest in off the pitch?

JPA wrote: »
    What stuff does Mings have too much interest in off the pitch?

Various different business interests and other interviews, BT high performance the latest, seems to pop up on YouTube far too often, talking tripe with Conor Coady. Got involved in the El Gazhi saga too. Likes the limelight too much for me, I'd rather see him keep his head down and concentrate on his profession as I don't remember the last time he was in the headlines for good performances on the pitch.

Various different business interests and other interviews, BT high performance the latest, seems to pop up on YouTube far too often, talking tripe with Conor Coady. Got involved in the El Gazhi saga too. Likes the limelight too much for me, I'd rather see him keep his head down and concentrate on his profession as I don't remember the last time he was in the headlines for good performances on the pitch.

+ breeding and training protection dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Need to settle down, a lot of passes that should be completed aren't quite making it. United look a lot more dangerous than Chelsea did a few nights ago.

Douglas Luiz marking McGuire on that last corner. That's not gonna end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

JPA wrote: »
    Where did you see that?

Villa official Twitter page.

Pogba looks bollixed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Traore and El Ghazi fairly poor so far. Traore noticeably so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Is McGinn wearing nappies or what

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

listermint wrote: »
    Villa official Twitter page.

Looks like it's just Villa retweeting a reply when they asked the question what was your favourite moment of 2020, the person replied Grealish signing the new contract in the summer.

Looks like it's just Villa retweeting a reply when they asked the question what was your favourite moment of 2020, the person replied Grealish signing the new contract in the summer.

Ah ****e , must have picked it up wrong so.

Traore is the 5th most expensive signing in the clubs history and he does that.

Mings again silly stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

1-0 dow, that's on Mings, he has to get a head on that, don't know how he missed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Martial not picked up, Mings taking front post so not his fault imo, except the missed header. Martial came from deeper and Konsa can see him all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Please stop letting Traore take set pieces for the love of God.

Mings wasn't unlucky...He just got it all wrong AGAIN. Disaster

Dreadful effort from Traore, he's offered little so far.

Mings demonstrates exactly why I didn't want him back in the team.

We're not doing too badly, despite scoreline but not really threatening either.

Traore and El Ghazi especially quiet, not sure if because of tiredness or being amrked out of it, because Cash and Targett are hetting lots of space out wide. Grealish also not having the influence of norm

Our two wingers have offered nothing so far. In fact both have been knocked about physically also.

Davis on for one of them and move Watkins wide. He's spending most of the game out wide anyway!

Need to put a few passes together. Too much long ball and unwillingness to play out under what's only mild pressure/pressing from United

I'd like to have Trez as an option, Traore has been poor.

Hopefully we can kick on in the second half. I will say, this is one of the better performances against Man U in the last 25 years. Normally we are just camped outside our box for 80 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

rebelomar wrote: »
    Our two wingers have offered nothing so far. In fact both have been knocked about physically also.

Davis on for one of them and move Watkins wide. He's spending most of the game out wide anyway!

Need to put a few passes together. Too much long ball and unwillingness to play out under what's only mild pressure/pressing from United

While both wingers gave played well in the last few games, they are not the types to really push club forward and upgrades are needed on both. They are extremely unreliable.

Traroe has been woeful tonight and his shocking free kick lead to their goal.

Also Mings is just a clown as usual and why Hause was dropped for him is beyond me. He has been the biggest liability in this side since the season started. Needs to be replaced as a starting player ASAP.

rebelomar wrote: »

Could be a good call, what are other options for wing? Elmo or Guilbert - hardly going to create more chances. Ramsey in and Grealish pushed wider?

Smith will probably wait til 82nd minute or 3-0 scoreline before doing anything, but also just a likely Traore or El Ghazi step up and do something

Grealish hasn't been an influence on several of the last games including tonight and to me it's one reason, not playing him out left.

I'd hook Traore, put AEG out right, Jack left and bring on Ramsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Traore has been awful. Mings is becoming a real ongoing problem.

Jesus Watkins is unlucky

• Advertisement

Well worked goal!!!!

Take that. Traore haters

After all the abuse, it had to be Traore!!!!!

Traore.. great player...I've always said it lol

Well done and let's go at them now again

Edit: ah crap

Benefits of having Jack pickup the ball out left.

Soft penalty as per usual for United to get.

Don't see the contact

Thats as much of a peno as the the only last year.

Benefits of having Jack pickup the ball out left.

Soft penalty as per usual for United to get.

Soft but you know you can't touch them in the box at OT. Once he grabbed the arm it was 50/50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pogba's leg comes back and catches Luiz's for me. Very soft. Being close to a player is not a penalty in itself.

• Advertisement

Very soft. I mean Pogba has hand in Luiz's face and Luiz his grabbing his arm....that's 50/50

Tripped himself up.

Classic United peno. And the usual suspect ref

Midfield now being overwhelmed, McGinn unusually seems to be missing a lot

Traore is no help to cash at all

sc86 wrote: »

Standing waiting on a poxy bus

Watkins needs one to go in off his backside...

Great save Martinez

• Advertisement

Gary neville wetting himself over utd

MAKE A SUB!!!!

At this stage I'd take Hause for Traore, Konsa to RB and Cash on wing....

Ramsey for Traore, finally a reaction

Gary neville wetting himself over utd

He shouldn't be allowed do these games, same with Carragher and Liverpool.

He was ball watching every time.

So frustrating to watch.

All these cynical fouls from Utd and no yellow cards, referee is a joke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement