Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Davis on now for El Ghazi with 5 mins left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mick Oliver's really one of the most unlikeable refs. No idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

We should be bringing Hourihane on for the last 10 mins when chasing. The set pieces have been ok but he definitely brings it up a few levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Watkins and Davies wouldn't score in a titty bar with a suitcase of €100 notes.

Targett was my man of the match, thought he was unbeatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

We should have got a draw , stupid tackle from luiz

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Esse85 wrote: »
    Watkins and Davies wouldn't score in a titty bar with a suitcase of €100 notes.

Targett was my man of the match, thought he was unbeatable.

In fairness to Watkins if he fell into a barrell of tits in that bar he'd come out sucking his thumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Close game, could really have gone either way. Thoroughly enjoy Villa these days taking the game to the opposition no matter who it is. Still short in squad areas, which is to be expected. Barkley and Trez back will improve things again.

Close game, could really have gone either way. Thoroughly enjoy Villa these days taking the game to the opposition no matter who it is. Still short in squad areas, which is to be expected. Barkley and Trez back will improve things again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We are enjoyable to watch for once, and not just for the opposition.

Need to get in one or two in Jan as options as the bench is fairly weak in terms of changing the game if we are behind.

I also think it's time to drop Mings.

sc86 wrote: »
    We should have got a draw , stupid tackle from luiz

Luiz has to put pressure on him, and they are both tangling arms. Pogba themntrips himself, maybe because Luiz is too close, but its very soft. What does ref expect Luiz to do, back off and say shoot away, he has Pogba's arm across his face

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    Luiz has to put pressure on him, and they are both tangling arms. Pogba themntrips himself, maybe because Luiz is too close, but its very soft. What does ref expect Luiz to do, back off and say shoot away, he has Pogba's arm across his face

You've seen then given as they say.

VAR is never going to overturn those ones, but by the same token, it's not going to be flagged and overturned if the ref doesn't blow.

I'd love to see a replay of the Davis chance right at the end, I think there was a handball in there, but with out a replay can't be sure. Ref blew whistle soon after, so wonder what VAR would do if they did see something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Luiz had a poor game tonight, it was the old Luiz from the start of last season. Overconfident, too many tricks in the wrong areas of the pitch.

The amount of fouling by utd in the last 20 minutes was very cynical and shows how tough a game it was for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

I'd love to see a replay of the Davis chance right at the end, I think there was a handball in there, but with out a replay can't be sure. Ref blew whistle soon after, so wonder what VAR would do if they did see something

https://twitter.com/gsmyly/status/1345129380910157829?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Feel we’ve been done by the ref there. I guess that’s a nicer feeling after a big game than last season when we’d have been talking about a 4 goal defeat.

Grealish was immense again.

Pogba giving out to Shaw for not diving.

https://twitter.com/tv2kvamme/status/1345119616134164483?s=20

Smith needs to be making changes a bit earlier, I like the mantra of going with confidence and momentum but there’s definite signs of tiredness that needs to be addressed.

Very honest interview from Deano there.
    He wasn't happy at all with first half performance.
    I think that's his own undoing tho, not making changes until very very late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

var did award utd a penalty after the final whistle this season due to hand ball i think. but as you say, they didn't show a replay

• Advertisement

What changes do people see us making?

The injuries have left us very week on the bench. We've 2 RBs, a striker who hasn't scored, a keeper, a left back thats poor going forward, a 19 year old who hasn't done anything yet, a CB, a DM and midfielder that very few here see anything in.

In a few weeks we can add Trez, Wes and Barkley to the mix and then we have some options. Maybe a new signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Watkins looks a complete waste of money and space.

chicorytip wrote: »

You're talking tarmac, he has been worth every penny so far. A prolific start, and when not scoring instrumental in creating opportunities for others. Not to mention a very intelligent mover off the ball. Yes, his confidence dipped slightly in front of goal tonight but once he scores one a glut will follow. Runs himself into the ground every game, I'm massively impressed with his work ethic. He'll only get better with such drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Well, that's just not true is it?

circadian wrote: »
    Well, that's just not true is it?

It’s not, but he does need to be doing more all the same. He has only scored in 3 of our games this season. We need to be able to rely on him more.

No way is the maguire incident a peno by the way, he heads the ball against Davis and the ball kind of rolls down his shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Watkins is being run into the ground and it shows, full second string in the FA cup required.

JPA wrote: »
    Watkins is being run into the ground and it shows, full second string in the FA cup required.

It’s true, but it’s still worth a mention that he has only scored from open play in 2 games this season.

He is good at some other stuff, but he is a striker and needs to be someone we can rely on to come up with the goals we need in big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Would love to see us bring in a striker who's happy to be on the bench and come on when we're chasing a goal. Davis will never amount to anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Thought Villa played excellently in old Trafford and were worthy of a point.

Certainly as easy to watch as any of the current top 4

Night and day from only last July when they needed a draw to stay up at West Ham.

A joy to watch nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

CSF wrote: »
    It’s not, but he does need to be doing more all the same. He has only scored in 3 of our games this season. We need to be able to rely on him more.

I have to agree with you. He is certainly a big improvement on what we had, but sometimes he is being given praise a little bit over the top. Like you have said he has only scored in 3 of 15 PL games now.

The problem is he is not a natural finisher. He runs the channels well and can hold the ball up well on occasion. But his heading ability leaves a little to be desired and if he was able to finish better we would probably have 6 more points at least by now.

Its not easy play up top alone it has to be said.

But we could certainly do with a another striker to call upon as we are a very creative side right now and we will make chances for whoever plays up top.

• Advertisement

CucaFace wrote: »
    I have to agree with you. He is certainly a big improvement on what we had, but sometimes he is being given praise a little bit over the top. Like you have said he has only scored in 3 of 15 PL games now.

The problem is he is not a natural finisher. He runs the channels well and can hold the ball up well on occasion. But his heading ability leaves a little to be desired and if he was able to finish better we would probably have 6 more points at least by now.

Its not easy play up top alone it has to be said.

But we could certainly do with a another striker to call upon as we are a very creative side right now and we will make chances for whoever plays up top.

Agree with all of that. Harsh criticism is too much for him but he deserves some.m

For a centre forward who isn’t expected to create their own chances, I think xG is a good way to discuss how they are in front of goal. He’s on 6 from an xG of more than 9.

He needs to be more reliable in front of goal. He doesn’t get the same kind of excuses that Jack would if Jack wasn’t scoring goals as Jack creates everything.

Ollie’s movement is excellent and so is his work rate, but I think he is sometimes lacklustre in a duel with a CB, and he needs to become more reliable when we need a goal from him.

Ollie suffers from Jack a bit imo, of course it's not a criticism on Jack, the combination just needs fine tuning. Jack's heavy ball carrying and general retention doesn't always allow Ollie to play off quick things and often has to run into positions and just wait. There's a few players in the team that use the striker with their back to goal to get a ball back and Ollie suffers from that a little. I think Barkley's quicker release play suits Ollie more. Not worried at all about him though, criticism is fine too though as long as what he brings is understood as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I think that our medical team must need a revamp at this stage. We seem to have improved in a lot of areas but we seem to be a bit ordinary in this particular way.

We always seem to have injuries that linger and players missing chunks of time over relatively minor knocks.

Barkley and Trez are the latest. Trez has missed 6 and it would have been 7 matches since his facial injury. Barkley was close two weeks ago according to Smith but still no sign of him.

Wes is now a year and counting from his long term injury as is Heaton.

Now I’m not advocating rushing players back before they’re ready but we have a long history of poor outcomes in the past and it doesn’t seem to be improving.

Go back far enough and you have Kozak whose broken leg was set incorrectly. Lots of other examples like Jack and his sore shin that was not managed properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Heaton is back on the bench.

Thats all very harsh on Watkins. Hes been absolutely brilliant.

His problem is El Ghazi and Traore shoot on sight. Burnley, West Brom and Chelsea are all good examples of it, Watkins free in the box several times each game and both of them are blazing shots over.

Its hard to argue with them shooting because or the form they are both in but the low percentage areas they should be trying to put it in for Watkins (or anyone else who may be there).

Hes been seriously unlucky as well in the last few games, couple of top drawer saves, hit the post against Chelsea.

This is his first season as well, look how a bit of time changed half the squad. He will definitely come good but we do need to feed him chances as well.

Watkins gets chances, plenty of them.
    I mentioned before, there's a Shane Long in him.
    He needs to add aggression and a selfish streak to his game to be a better striker. Technically when he's got the ball at his feet and time to think, I'm not convinced, but he's worked exceptionally hard for the team up front alone all season and never complained.
    He'll get better.

He's no Joelinton or Haller who both joined their clubs for more money.

LeBash wrote: »
    Thats all very harsh on Watkins. Hes been absolutely brilliant.

His problem is El Ghazi and Traore shoot on sight. Burnley, West Brom and Chelsea are all good examples of it, Watkins free in the box several times each game and both of them are blazing shots over.

Its hard to argue with them shooting because or the form they are both in but the low percentage areas they should be trying to put it in for Watkins (or anyone else who may be there).

Hes been seriously unlucky as well in the last few games, couple of top drawer saves, hit the post against Chelsea.

This is his first season as well, look how a bit of time changed half the squad. He will definitely come good but we do need to feed him chances as well.

He gets chances though. He has missed a lot of chances. Am i worried about him longterm? No, I think he is very talented.

Do I think we’d have more points if he’d matched his expected productivity? Yes. We need to stop talking about how unlucky he is and be able to talk about how ruthless he is instead.

He gets chances though. He has missed a lot of chances. Am i worried about him longterm? No, I think he is very talented.

Do I think we’d have more points if he’d matched his expected productivity? Yes. We need to stop talking about how unlucky he is and be able to talk about how ruthless he is instead.

I think we wouldn't be playing as much football in the other teams half if he wasn't there. Alot of emphasis on goals but scant emphasis on hold up. We'd be down alot more goals if teams got to spend more time in our half. Especially with Ming the merciless in the back line.

Would I take Watkins all round game over a striker who bangs one in every game but does nothing else. Yes because I'm pretty confident we'd lose it the other end.

listermint wrote: »
    I think we wouldn't be playing as much football in the other teams half if he wasn't there. Alot of emphasis on goals but scant emphasis on hold up. We'd be down alot more goals if teams got to spend more time in our half. Especially with Ming the merciless in the back line.

Would I take Watkins all round game over a striker who bangs one in every game but does nothing else. Yes because I'm pretty confident we'd lose it the other end.

He has a good all round game, absolutely. But he has still only scored from open play in 2 games this season. You can’t be a striker and not expect to be criticised for that.

He is a very good player which you’d expect him to be for the transfer fee, but he needs to become a reliable goal source.

He has a good all round game, absolutely. But he has still only scored from open play in 2 games this season. You can’t be a striker and not expect to be criticised for that.

He is a very good player which you’d expect him to be for the transfer fee, but he needs to become a reliable goal source.

The same argument could be made against Firmino and our goals are coming from the same area as Liverpools

We are 6th in the table with no other option so unless everyone feels Davis will step in and do better and he has played practically every min. I can remember him being subbed once, could be more.

• Advertisement

LeBash wrote: »
    The same argument could be made against Firmino and our goals are coming from the same area as Liverpools

We are 6th in the table with no other option so unless everyone feels Davis will step in and do better and he has played practically every min. I can remember him being subbed once, could be more.

But Firmino is judged basically the same way. A great contributor, who still should be doing more with the quality of chances he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You're talking tarmac, he has been worth every penny so far. A prolific start, and when not scoring instrumental in creating opportunities for others. Not to mention a very intelligent mover off the ball. Yes, his confidence dipped slightly in front of goal tonight but once he scores one a glut will follow. Runs himself into the ground every game, I'm massively impressed with his work ethic. He'll only get better with such drive.
    He has yet to score a single goal and missed a glorious opportunity last night with a weak header straight at DeGea. AlGhazi, Cash and McGinn missed sitters as well, it must be said.

He has yet to score a single goal and missed a glorious opportunity last night with a weak header straight at DeGea. AlGhazi, Cash and McGinn missed sitters as well, it must be said.

Yeah, hasn’t scored a single goal apart from all those goals he scored.

Rubs eyes.

Nah to early for this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Watkins plays every single minute up top alone which is often a thankless job and imho he has done really well in his time at Villa so far. If he scored in a few more games people would be touting him for the England squad but that's not the case and yeah he is getting the Firmino situation / reaction for his goals. His problem however is that unlike Bobby, Watkins has had El Ghazi & Traore instead of Mane & Salah recently.

Getting Barkely back should help both him and Grealish get freed a lot too. When Wesley eventually returns too we might see a difference as I think Smith might be more likely to make a changes earlier when he has such options and bring on someone like him and push Watkins into a WF role.

I would like to see Mings on the bench for a game or two with Hause (who has done very well when called upon) given the nod, so as to make him realize he is guaranteed nothing without performances but I really don't see Smith doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If Watkins finishes the season with the same goal ratio as he has now he'll have around 15 goals. Add on his general play and that's a good season for a strikers first year in the PL.

Since 2000 we've only had 2 players get more than 15 goals in a season. Benteke got 19 in 2012 and Angel got 16 in 2003

matrim wrote: »
    If Watkins finishes the season with the same goal ratio as he has now he'll have around 15 goals. Add on his general play and that's a good season for a strikers first year in the PL.

Since 2000 we've only had 2 players get more than 15 goals in a season. Benteke got 19 in 2012 and Angel got 16 in 2003

The problem though is that he isn’t continuing on with a ratio. He hasn’t scored in his last 8 games.

As poor as I think Wesley is, nothing should be expected of him this season. He'll need a pre season to have any chance of seeing the best of him.
    Therefore I feel a striker is a necessity this month, loan out Davis when we get one.

Esse85 wrote: »
    As poor as I think Wesley is, nothing should be expected of him this season. He'll need a pre season to have any chance of seeing the best of him.
    Therefore I feel a striker is a necessity this month, loan out Davis when we get one.

Nah Wesley will be fine for a sub role this season imo, considering Watkins won’t even be subbed much.

Can’t see him pushing Watkins for the spot til next season though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I think you could see the confidence drain away from Watkins as the game went on last night. He also looked knackered.

VAR has robbed him of two or three good goals this season already and that's also had an effect as it's fed into this goalless run he's having.

While he runs the channels as good as any striker we have ever had, he stays outside the box far too long. We don't get runners from centre mid getting forward in the box too often so if the striker is also not in there it's hard to score more goals.

Our wingers recent goal spurt has covered this for us.

As I've said before...Wesley looks a mile off being ready to play games, just from looking at these training clips. Looks very laboured to my eye anyway. I think we need another striker as much as I like Keinan too.

Advertisement