Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

rebelomar wrote: »
    I think you could see the confidence drain away from Watkins as the game went on last night. He also looked knackered.

VAR has robbed him of two or three good goals this season already and that's also had an effect as it's fed into this goalless run he's having.

While he runs the channels as good as any striker we have ever had, he stays outside the box far too long. We don't get runners from centre mid getting forward in the box too often so if the striker is also not in there it's hard to score more goals.

Our wingers recent goal spurt has covered this for us.

As I've said before...Wesley looks a mile off being ready to play games, just from looking at these training clips. Looks very laboured to my eye anyway. I think we need another striker as much as I like Keinan too.

Traore can play up front if we absolutely need someone who isn’t Watkins, which I don’t actually think we will.

Fixture pileup eases up for us now with no league cup or Europe. Very real chance we only play one FA Cup game also.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I rate Wesley, I think if he gets a run of games he will really push Watkins, in my head I'd see Grealish left, Watkins right and Wesley burying lads in the middle as a front three.

Alas it will probably only stay in my head.

One thing though, it's probably the the first January in a long while we are not going into it panic buying.

I rate Wesley, I think if he gets a run of games he will really push Watkins, in my head I'd see Grealish left, Watkins right and Wesley burying lads in the middle as a front three.

One thing though, it's probably the the first January in a long while we are not going into it panic buying.
    Given that we’re buying for squad competition rather than clear starters, I think it gives us a bit of extra licence to take a punt on some young high ceiling guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

I like Wes myself. Think he got really isolated and didn't show anything near what he could be but the way we play now would suit getting more out of him.

I doubt he will be anything more than a backup to Watkins and im guessing 12 months from when he's back until we see any decent form.

Its been over a year and he still isn't back. That must have a massive effect physically and mentally. I remember someone commenting that after a big injury you need to have 8-10 really rough tackles to remember your not made of glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Really liked the look of Anguissa at Fulham this year, really found his feet there now. Big, strong midfielder too who can play, would be worth considering, especially if City cash in Luiz clause.

Demarai Gray lost his way a bit at Leicester, is free to speak to clubs from this month as well. Definitely a talent there, only to get it out of him. Also from Birmingham I believe as well.

I think a striker might be only thing that will be considered during January imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

6 games ahead, 4 tough ones. Interesting month,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'd expect Liverpool to play a young side Friday night in case of any further injuries. They were poor again tonight in their defeat.

Hopefully the likes of Elmo, Hause, Taylor, Hourihane, Nakamba, Ramsey, Davis all start.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Esse85 wrote: »
    I'd expect Liverpool to play a young side Friday night in case of any further injuries. They were poor again tonight in their defeat.

Hopefully the likes of Elmo, Hause, Taylor, Hourihane, Nakamba, Ramsey, Davis all start.

I hope only Hause starts from that lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

I'd like to see Guilbert, Engels, Steer/Heaton start.

And what was the name of that youngsters we signed everyone wanted

Everyone needs to be rested and the rest need game time but it could be a bloodbath if Liverpool put out a full team and we send out a ton of backups.

Louis Barry is the young lad but he's only 17. Spot on the bench and 15-20 mins if we aren't getting absolutely spanked.

• Advertisement

Amavi is being linked with a return and his contract is up at Marseille at the end of the season.

I doubt thats true, we don't seem to sign players that old bar the keepers.

Davis looking like he's going on loan to Stoke, which i assume means Wesley is close or someone else is coming in but he's apparently on 45k a week.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

https://twitter.com/villareport/status/1345864365296250881?s=20

Yeah Wesley is getting there, still be a couple of months I'd imagine, Josh King is out of contract in the summer so you'd get him for a few million. Won't do anything special but just need someone reasonably capable to tide us over, I'd be happy with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Was impressed with your team against United and Smith certainly seems to be doing a good job playing nice attractive football.

How confident are you about keeping Grealish, both next summer and more longer term?

We need to drop someone from the registered squad for Wesley or anyone else who might come in. Just had a look through it and I cant believe Kalinic is still at the club.

May as well get Guilbert off the list as well and Davis if he's going out. That frees up 3 spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I think with the new deal he's possibly stuck in a Zaha type situation where noone will pay us enough to make the deal happen. I genuinely think we'll want close to 100 million at this point.

That changes if he really wants to go but we're heading in the right direction so hopefully he wants to stay around.

If he was to leave in the summer it would be a disaster as I'm expecting City to activate their buyback on Luiz and if we lose both we'll be completely ****ed

LeBash wrote: »
    We need to drop someone from the registered squad for Wesley or anyone else who might come in. Just had a look through it and I cant believe Kalinic is still at the club.

May as well get Guilbert off the list as well and Davis if he's going out. That frees up 3 spaces.

Davis wouldn't need to be registered at his age I don't think.

As for Amavi, he was great until his injury with us, after that, not so. Would he be happy to be backup to Targett? Defo an improvement on Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I think with the new deal he's possibly stuck in a Zaha type situation where noone will pay us enough to make the deal happen. I genuinely think we'll want close to 100 million at this point.

That changes if he really wants to go but we're heading in the right direction so hopefully he wants to stay around.

If he was to leave in the summer it would be a disaster as I'm expecting City to activate their buyback on Luiz and if we lose both we'll be completely ****ed

Yeah, you'd think his signing of that contract was an indication that he was happy to stay longer term provided the team and league position improved, which it has.

Whether you can make the next jump that would surely be required to keep a player of that quality longer term is another matter. The club seems to have financial muscle though? So, you never know.

It's nice to see the league as competitive as it is at the moment and that's largely a product of the wealthier teams not being able to just cherry pick the top talent from below them.

Amavi is being linked with a return and his contract is up at Marseille at the end of the season.

I doubt thats true, we don't seem to sign players that old bar the keepers.

He's only 26 and not like a big transfer fee would be involved, surprised he hasn't been capped by France.

Would be an upgrade on Taylor and might even challenge Target.

Davis looking like he's going on loan to Stoke, which i assume means Wesley is close or someone else is coming in but he's apparently on 45k a week.......

Where did you read Davis is on £45k?

I'd be astonished if that were true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Below site is useful bt not sure how accurate

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/aston-villa-fc/payroll/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

kilburn wrote: »

Must be a typo. He'll be closer to 4500 than 45000

Seems highly inaccurate to me.

Like Watkins is on almost £80k and Konsa on £8k and McGinn on £25k

Traore close to £80k LOL

And Cash £65k

Seriously poor link posted there.

Feel free to provide something better so

A quick Google and 3 more sources have pretty much the same details

Traore was on 72k a week at Lyon doubt he took a pay cut to join us.

Matty Cash was on 20k a week at Forest

McGinn & Konsa figure look like before their contract renewals.

Watkins 70k per week
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ollie-watkins-villa-contract-medical-18730680

Feel free to provide something better so

A quick Google and 3 more sources have the same details

I'm not interested in scanning the web for ficticious salary details.

Having looked at it yourself, can you see how inaccurate the link you provided looks?

I can and to be fair none of us know so i wont bother posting links in future.

You did ask where people saw it and then laugh off links which you cant be bothered to look up yourself.

Cant win........

I can and to be fair none of us know so i wont bother posting links in future.

You did ask where people saw it and then laugh off links which you cant be bothered to look up yourself.

Cant win........

I won't be looking up links for information that differs hugely across the range from one source to the next, many of which is outdated information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Grealish is worth far more then 100 million at this stage.

Who is a better attacking midfielder than him in the PL at the moment? De Bruyne and Fernadez perhaps but not too many more. De Bruyne is pushing 30, Jack is only 25.

If Dembele and Grezman who cost Barca 120 million plus and Dortmund value Sancho at around 120 million, then Jack Grealish is worth 150 million in todays crazy football market.

He is a out and out super star footballer.

I really don't think he will want to leave soon either. He will have the whole team (and rightly so) built around him at the club he has been at all his life and who he is a supporter of. So if we can keep progressing year on year with a player of his caliber in the CM, adding 3 better players each year to the team then i don't see why he would want to move in the next 2 years.

Also the fact we are playing one of the most (if not the most) attractive football in the whole league should help attract players to the club in the near future which may not have wanted to come before.

Whatever about De Bruyne, Grealish is better than Bruno. Bruno has been monumental to United’s revival and is a great goal scorer, but he doesn’t have the kind of individual brilliance that De Bruyne or Grealish has.

He isn’t even the same kind of player as them really. Nobody even judges De Bruyne primarily based on his goal tally and Jack should really be the same.

CSF wrote: »
    Whatever about De Bruyne, Grealish is better than Bruno. Bruno has been monumental to United’s revival and is a great goal scorer, but he doesn’t have the kind of individual brilliance that De Bruyne or Grealish has.

He isn’t even the same kind of player as them really. Nobody even judges De Bruyne primarily based on his goal tally and Jack should really be the same.

Take away Bruno penalties and how many goals has he scored from open play in the league since he joined?

• Advertisement

Take away Bruno penalties and how many goals has he scored from open play in the league since he joined?

19 premier league goals.
    9 were penalties and 1 free kick.

So 9 outfield goals.
    Still a very good return from 30 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

CSF wrote: »

I would agree with you.

The way Grealish is beginning to control games is amazing to watch.

If we had 4/5 upgrades in this side then we would be a very serious side with top 4 well within our ability to achieve (which is something i can't belive im writing based on where we were this time last year and especially where we were this time 2 years ago).

It will be a long time before we ever have a player of this truly world class ability playing for us, with the loyalty he has for the club also which is something you can't buy. We need to make the most of this opportunity and make sure we make it worth his while to stay with us.

We have a keeper which I wouldn't swap for anyone in the league.

We have a DM in Douglas Luiz also which i wouldn't swap for anyone else either (i just hope we can keep him).

A few clever deals in Jan and we can hopefully have a really great season.

19 premier league goals.
    9 were penalties and 1 free kick.

So 9 outfield goals.
    Still a very good return from 30 games.

Yeah he is very productive. I’m a fan of his. But Jack is better. If you watched match of the day each week you could easily conclude that Bruno is the better of the 2, but from watching the games I think it’s clear.

Seems highly inaccurate to me.

Like Watkins is on almost £80k and Konsa on £8k and McGinn on £25k

Traore close to £80k LOL

And Cash £65k

Seriously poor link posted there.

The new TV deal for the PL just hyper inflated everything. Agents and players know there is more money around and of course they'll ask for it.

Davis was at the tail end of his deal, which meant he was able to talk to other clubs in the last months. If someone offered him 40k on a 3 year deal (that would be like a 6 million fee over the term, which he is probably at least worth that in todays money) Villa would have had to top that to keep him or lose him and shell out big money and a bigger wage for the next lad.

Konsa is in talks at the min on a new deal, dont forget, he was signed as back up to Engels in a year that we were skirting the line of FFP and was probably an increase on his previous deal. The only plebs who handed out stupid high wages in the Championship was us.

Watkins was reported to be asking for 85k when the fee was agreed, again, the agents know how much money the TV deal is worth to each club.

McGinn just signed a new deal, id say he's on more than 25k now but coming from St Mirren 25k per week was probably 23k a week more than he was on.

Agents aren't stupid. The job is to get their man the best deal and if they have to screw a club that has an unfortunate situation, of course they will.

Those figures could well be spot on. Its not about what a player is worth, its about how much a club is willing to pay in the snapshot of time when they are talking to the player.

The new TV deal for the PL just hyper inflated everything. Agents and players know there is more money around and of course they'll ask for it.

Davis was at the tail end of his deal, which meant he was able to talk to other clubs in the last months. If someone offered him 40k on a 3 year deal (that would be like a 6 million fee over the term, which he is probably at least worth that in todays money) Villa would have had to top that to keep him or lose him and shell out big money and a bigger wage for the next lad.

Konsa is in talks at the min on a new deal, dont forget, he was signed as back up to Engels in a year that we were skirting the line of FFP and was probably an increase on his previous deal. The only plebs who handed out stupid high wages in the Championship was us.

Watkins was reported to be asking for 85k when the fee was agreed, again, the agents know how much money the TV deal is worth to each club.

McGinn just signed a new deal, id say he's on more than 25k now but coming from St Mirren 25k per week was probably 23k a week more than he was on.

Agents aren't stupid. The job is to get their man the best deal and if they have to screw a club that has an unfortunate situation, of course they will.

Those figures could well be spot on. Its not about what a player is worth, its about how much a club is willing to pay in the snapshot of time when they are talking to the player.

That's the thing tho, when many of these contracts were handed out, there's been less money around, not more. Less money was spent on transfers in the summer of 2020, over £300m less compared to 2019, over 50 less signings too. Even summer 2018 had a bigger spend than summer 2020.

With the loss of revenue as a result of covid, which started in March, and will continue on until at least March, I find it beyond surprising to think while all that was going on, that Davis is given 45k, Watkins 75k, Cash 65k, Traore £80k, not to mention the big transfer fees that were paid for 3 of them, including breaking the clubs record signing fee.
    I'd understand it a little more if they were signed on free contracts.

Young lads that barely have 10 Premier League starts between them.
    Two of them coming from the championship, one from non league, and the other a journeyman who only started half the league games in his time at Lyon.

The wages being paid is not all new expenditure though some of it is covered by players that were released, sold or had contracts terminated.

• Advertisement

Someone have a look on Football Manager and see what the wages are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Significant outbreak of Covid at the club. A large number of first-team players and staff have tested positive

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

VillaMad wrote: »
    Significant outbreak of Covid at the club. A large number of first-team players and staff have tested positive

Was just about to post same.

Read it on The Athletic a while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Oh bollox.

• Advertisement

Talks ongoing with FA and PL

Training cancelled and I presume tomorrow's game will be cancelled as a "large number" of players and staff have tested positive.

JPA wrote: »
    Oh bollox.

I know....

Oh bollox.

Do your youth and U23 team train at a separate location? Derby are playing underage players in the FA Cup this round due to Covid in the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I wonder if we will have to forfeit the game tomorrow. I think it's different rules for the cups and the league.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Do your youth and U23 team train at a separate location? Derby are playing underage players in the FA Cup this round due to Covid in the first team.

I think they all use Bodymoor Heath but I don't know what kind of separation there is.

I think they all use Bodymoor Heath but I don't know what kind of separation there is.

If the groups are separate then you may have to field the young lads, Liverpool will probably be doing the same. I'd imagine it's that or forfeit maybe?

If the groups are separate then you may have to field the young lads. I'd imagine it's that or forfeit maybe?

Dunno. There might have been a protocol agreed before things restarted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

matrim wrote: »
    I wonder if we will have to forfeit the game tomorrow. I think it's different rules for the cups and the league.

Hope not as it’s a competition we should be going all out for, If we were to advance to the latter stages I’d prioritise that over a Europa league place.

Too many games in the Europa League that competition should revert back to a straight cup competition without the drop outs from the Champions League group stage.

Dunno. There might have been a protocol agreed before things restarted.

Villa already have two postponed games to fit in. This could be three and then you're due to play Wednesday so if it's a bad outbreak that could be in doubt and up to four games to refix.

Fifth round is due to be played 10th February so not a lot of time to fit this game in.

Villa already have two postponed games to fit in. This could be three and then you're due to play Wednesday so if it's a bad outbreak that could be in doubt and up to four games to refix.

Fifth round is due to be played 10th February so not a lot of time to fit this game in.

We will just have to put out our U12 team against their U14 team at this rate :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement