Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

matrim wrote: »
    I wonder if we will have to forfeit the game tomorrow. I think it's different rules for the cups and the league.

I presume we'll have to forfeit the game.

I don't really know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I presume we'll have to forfeit the game.

I don't really know.

I'd guess that Liverpool would prefer to play the game myself, because they won't want to have to fit in a postponed fixture later in the month.

Fitz* wrote: »
    I'd guess that Liverpool would prefer to play the game myself, because they won't want to have to fit in a postponed fixture later in the month.

We already have two games in hand.

I want the game to go ahead also but I really don't see how.

Plus, our game against Spurs on Wed could be yet another game in hand.

Let's see, I guess, it's unfortunate

Our youth teams train at BH but separately. Different "bubbles" so to speak.

Sky Sports News now

On Sky Sports News now

Talking about Villa

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Do your youth and U23 team train at a separate location? Derby are playing underage players in the FA Cup this round due to Covid in the first team.

Play in separate "bubbles"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

That match will not happen tomorrow.

And why they insist on the FA Cup going ahead is beyond me.

Hopefully your players will all make a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Would much prefer the game was forfeited then postponed.

We’ve seen already what happens in a game between these 2 teams at Villa Park when one team has a clearly superior team available to the other rendering the game uncompetitive.

7 f*ckin 2 like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Playing a team of youngsters apparently.

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1347310296210276359?s=19

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Playing a team of youngsters apparently.

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1347310296210276359?s=19

Honestly, it’s a terrible idea. Our youth squad is not Kelleher, Hoever, Harvey Elliott and the lads. And they still got pumped 5 nil, this would be an NFL score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

I think we were always going to field a B team at best.

I assume this is flying a kite that we are fielding a C team letting Klopp know he doesn't need Mane, Salah and Co on the team sheet to win.

I absolutely hate the FA Cup. I've 1 good memory from it and it was the day Grealish beat Liverpool on his own about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LeBash wrote: »
    I think we were always going to field a B team at best.

I assume this is flying a kite that we are fielding a C team letting Klopp know he doesn't need Mane, Salah and Co on the team sheet to win.

Huh? We can't field any player from the first team squad, end of story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Would not imagine any of Liverpool's first team will be involved at all.

Would not imagine any of Liverpool's first team will be involved at all.

Why would the likes of Origi, Shaqiri and Milner not play? We played a combination of starters and squad players against their youths?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

CSF wrote: »
    Why would the likes of Origi, Shaqiri and Milner not play? We played a combination of starters and squad players against their youths?

Personally I would not consider any of them in their first team. First team squad yeah (and I assume that's what you thought I was saying despite the omition of the word squad) but I'd agree with the previously mentioned no Salah, Mane etc comment.

I'd say we will see a good mix of young lads and the fringe guys you mentioned now that it is becoming clear to klopp and Co (who no doubt would relish the opportunity to rest as many potential starters as possible) that Villa will be playing youngsters.

They will most likely still be too strong for Villa and it will be the end of our FA cup but I don't mind that terribly given the season this is and the fact that that will ease Villa's future build up in the future too. Let's just hope the club can get this under control and it does not affect much more than this game

Kelleher, Minamino, Origi, Shaqiri, Milner, Jones, Williams etc to be their biggest names unless they have anyone who needs games to regain fitness

Personally I would not consider any of them in their first team. First team squad yeah (and I assume that's what you thought I was saying despite the omition of the word squad) but I'd agree with the previously mentioned no Salah, Mane etc comment.

I'd say we will see a good mix of young lads and the fringe guys you mentioned now that it is becoming clear to klopp and Co (who no doubt would relish the opportunity to rest as many potential starters as possible) that Villa will be playing youngsters.

They will most likely still be too strong for Villa and it will be the end of our FA cup but I don't mind that terribly given the season this is and the fact that that will ease Villa's future build up in the future too. Let's just hope the club can get this under control and it does not affect much more than this game

Kelleher, Minamino, Origi, Shaqiri, Milner, Jones, Williams etc to be their biggest names unless they have anyone who needs games to regain fitness
    I agree with your interpretation of what the teams will likely be. Where I would differ though, is I think those lads would still be enough to beat our Under 23s to the kind of score that would make the game not one that is worth playing. Our Under 23s lost to the Sunderland first team 8-1 in the EFL Cup this season.

I'd imagine this Liverpool tonight will have significantly more international caps and European experience than that Sunderland team.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Well it's either the young lads or bust.

Will be interesting to watch at least.

10 of the players are positive, 14 including staff in total. Big numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

JPA wrote: »
    10 of the players are positive, 14 including staff in total. Big numbers.

Your game on Wednesday must surely be off as well.

• Advertisement

Your game on Wednesday must surely be off as well.
    Ah yeah, given the precedents set all the way back to the Newcastle game against us, I would say that is a cert. Everton game is the one that I think there would be legitimate questions about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ah yeah, given the precedents set all the way back to the Newcastle game against us, I would say that is a cert. Everton game is the one that I think there would be legitimate questions about.

I said it two weeks ago but at this rate there's only a matter of time before they suspend the PL I think.

I said it two weeks ago but at this rate there's only a matter of time before they suspend the PL I think.
    People keep saying it but they are dead against it. It looks like they are going to keep going until they literally can't get enough people on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

We have confirmed that the game is going ahead so must be playing only U23 players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Be a couple in this I'd be looking forward to seeing play, Barry, Chukwuemeka, Chrisense and Aaron Ramsey all spoken of quite highly

I heard Robbie Savage saying on radio 5 that to continue, no matter what, is an instruction coming from UEFA. They want all leagues to finish (presumably to protect the integrity of European competition), but I don’t know what integrity a league has once youth teams start being fielded on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Be a couple in this I'd be looking forward to seeing play, Barry, Chukwuemeka, Chrisense and Aaron Ramsey all spoken of quite highly

Is that Barry any relation to Gareth?

Have seen Ramsey play a few minutes lately, this game will be a great opportunity for him to lead a young Villa team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Have seen Ramsey play a few minutes lately, this game will be a great opportunity for him to lead a young Villa team.

It’s not the Jacob Ramsey that’s been playing minutes recently, it’s his younger brother Aaron.

Louie Barry is no relation to Gareth, but is a local lad who we signed from Barcelona around this time last year. Paid a not insignificant amount of money for a youngster and big things are hoped for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Is this game on tv?

kilburn wrote: »
    Is this game on tv?

BT

• Advertisement

Jacob Ramsey won't be available for this because he'd be part of the first team bubble it's his younger brother Aaron as mentioned.

Louie Barry is someone who's been hyped up for a long time as one of the best at his various age groups in the country. Think he's meant to be a bit of a dickhead but he's only 17 so probably harsh to judge him that way!

He came through the WBA youth program then Barca stole him due to him being too young for a pro deal in England at the time but he didn't settle in Spain so we signed him.

Chukwuemeka is regarded as the brightest prospect in our youth team at the moment as far as I understand it.

All be immaterial anyway when they're lambs to the slaughter against a second string Liverpool side, just hope they can avoid embarrassing themselves.

Wonder if Lansbury even trains with the first team at this point, if he's training with the kids at least that'd be someone on the pitch who's played a pro game before

Fair to say Klopp took that 7 goal beating super hard.

Forever moaning about congestion and plays Salah and Mane against the U 17s.

Don't get that one.

JPA wrote: »
    Forever moaning about congestion and plays Salah and Mane against the U 17s.

Don't get that one.

Honestly, it’s classless. We didn’t even do that against them last year. None of our best players played. None of Grealish, Heaton, McGinn, Mings, Targett, Wesley played that game.

Klopp will spin the line that he wants to manage fitness but let’s be honest, he’s as bitter about his most recent visits to Villa Park as you can get.

No way I’m watching that game.

I actually don't care about the classiness of it or not, if he really wants to progress then he has guaranteed it, just really puzzled by it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Is Milner older than the combined Villa team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Klopp moaning about only being allowed 3 subs, hes has a chance to rest his star players against our kids in a cup competition and chooses not to.
    I hope the EPL do him no favours going forward in terms of fixture pile ups.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Klopp moaning about only being allowed 3 subs, hes has a chance to rest his star players against our kids in a cup competition and chooses not to.
    I hope the EPL do him no favours going forward in terms of fixture pile ups.

Honestly, look at the teams he played in the FA Cup last year and tell me that if we hadn’t scored 12 goals in their last 2 visits to Villa Park, that it wouldn’t be a completely different team.

Tiny little man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We know what Klopp is like this isn't a story.

I'm looking forward to seeing the young lads give it a go, I've gone so far as to pay for a pass on Now TV.

Honestly, look at the teams he played in the FA Cup last year and tell me that if we hadn’t scored 12 goals in their last 2 visits to Villa Park, that it wouldn’t be a completely different team.

Tiny little man.

I thinks its little to do with Villa, as if Klopp gives a toss about getting redemption against a bunch of 18 year olds.

Not as if Villa are rivals.

Obviously he wants to win the game well and make up for their poor away record this season in view of improving their league form.

I thinks its little to do with Villa, as if Klopp gives a toss about getting redemption against a bunch of 18 year olds.

Not as if Villa are rivals.

Obviously he wants to win the game well and make up for their poor away record this season in view of improving their league form.

There was a lot made about the fact that Elmo and Kodjia celebrated against their young lads last year when they scored.

Have been seeing posts about it ever since our lads went down with it. Some seriously bitter people out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

LeBash wrote: »
    Is Milner older than the combined Villa team?

Milner made his debut for Leeds before 5 of the villa players were born!

There was a lot made about the fact that Elmo and Kodjia celebrated against their young lads last year when they scored.

Have been seeing posts about it ever since our lads went down with it. Some seriously bitter people out there.

And you think Klopp would jeopardise and risk injury to his best players for revenge?

Or what are you saying?

And you think Klopp would jeopardise and risk injury to his best players for revenge?

Or what are you saying?

I don’t believe Klopp is intentionally jeopardising anyone. Rather, taking an unnecessary risk that could come back to bite him.

• Advertisement

It's 11 v 11, let's go.

It's 11 v 11, let's go.

Mods delete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sixteen year olds playing tonight gas

It's like watching 2015/16 Villa.

It's like watching 2015/16 Villa.

Ah it’s nowhere near that bad :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement